Complaints & Reviews

cumberland turtles

These people sold me 2 turtles under 4 inches as pets even though they are prohibited to do so. They kept insisting that we signed the term about turtles under 4 inches are sold for scientific or educational purposes only. They didn't even give us that choice knowingly putting our health at risk. This regulation was put i place to prevent the spreading of salmonella. Had they told us up front about the size, we wouldn't have moved forward with the purchase. On the website when we were adding the items to cart, it did t give us a choice if this was being purchased as a pet or other purposes. They automatically send whatever they felt like.

cumberland turtles

where is my camel spider?

So I ordered my camel spider Sunday night it's now Wednesday night and hasn't come yet and after reading...

successfully canceled an order, but never received a refund

On Friday, April 27 I made a purchase through Backwater Reptiles. The purchase was an error and I immediately (within the hour) cancel the purchase. I attempted to contact the company by phone, this was unsuccessful. I then sent an email explaining the situation. I continue to send emails on Saturday, April 28 through Sunday, April 29. I did not receive an email back. So I filed a complaint through PayPal. I received my first email from backwater reptiles on Monday, April 30. They informed me that they would not be issuing a refund because I had filed a complaint through PayPal, and that I would need to cancel the complaint to receive my refund. After contacting PayPal I was informed by them that this was not the case, backwater reptiles was completely capable of issuing a refund. Furthermore, PayPal suggested that I not close the case as this would prevent them from covering me with the payment protection program. Backwater reptiles has absolutely no reason to withhold this refund. There was nothing sent out, neither is there anything preventing them on PayPal's and from issuing the refund. Each email I get from backwater reptiles is intended to encourage me to drop the case with Paypal. I am filing this complaint because something needs to be done about business practices such as this that intend to intimidate their buyers when a refund is requested.

successfully canceled an order, but never received a refund

Reptile purchase

I placed an order of $65 of gecko and they miss the delivery date
The package ends up get sending back to them
They refuse to give me even partial refund!

See below for evidence

See Below:

Hello Shui,

Unfortunately, there is an unforeseen delay with FedEx at their main hub in Memphis, TN and most of our packages are being effected. Please be assured that even with the delay on FedEx's end, you are still covered under our Live Arrival Guarantee, however Geckos are generally pretty hardy and your little ones should be just fine :) We are completely at the mercy of FedEx for delivery and I would recommend to contact them at 1-800-GO-FEDEX for any status updates or to request to have your package held for customer pick up.

Please keep us updated on your arrival status and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Meg

Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $39.99
Grand Total: $65.75

========= CART INFORMATION =========

House Gecko( Med-Large ) ( 0044 )
Options:No Pref
4 x $5.99 = $23.96

Please note, this inbox is not monitored so do not reply to this email.

Thank you for your order, we sincerely appreciate your business!

Q: When will my animal order ship?
A: Please reference the below shipping schedule for reptile, amphibian, tarantula, scorpion, cricket and fruit fly orders:

Ordered On Ships On Delivers On
Sunday Monday Tuesday morning
Monday Tuesday Wednesday morning
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday morning
Wednesday Thursday Friday morning
Thursday Monday Tuesday morning
Friday Monday Tuesday morning
Satruday Monday Tuesday morning

Q: When will my feeder order ship?
A: Roach, reptiworm, mealworm, giant mealworm, superworm, waxworm, hornworm and silkworm orders are shipped via 2-3 day Priority USPS delivery.

Q: When will I receive my tracking number?
A: You can expect to receive your tracking number via e-mail by 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the day your order ships (please reference the shipping schedule above). If you do not see the tracking e-mail in your inbox, please check your spam folder.

Q: Do you have a Frequently Asked Question section?
A: Yes, you can find our frequently asked question section here: http://backwaterreptiles.com/FAQ/reptile-faq.html

The Backwater Reptiles Team
[protected]@backwaterreptiles.com

Pets/live animals

Horrible company! Our class ordered water dragons from this company for class room pets and they came in...

Leopard Gecko

I paid Backwater Reptile LLC $364 for one adult male ordinary gecko and 2 Super Giant Hatchling...

Unethical Business Practices

I emailed backwater reptiles inquirying about a snake I wanted. They cost over $400 so I asked for some more...

Scam website

Scam website. Owner is a kid in CA that has real reptile companies in FL ship for him. Just a middle man ripping people off. AVOID!

• Je
    Jenna Line Oct 19, 2015

This is a true complaint. This website never ships anything, but will accept payments. I have sent payment twice and no shipment received. I am going to have to pay a $4, 000.00 retainer for a lawyer to go after them. I am remitting payment tomorrow, Monday morning.

• Db
    [email protected] Oct 22, 2018

my son ordered an iguana but he ordered it with my card he stole I have been asking for a refund but nobody is contacting me. I left several messages for them but yet I keep getting ignored. I will file charges if it is shipped because they know I wanted to cancel it. and I told them my son took my card.

• Ms
    Msw1961 Nov 04, 2018

Arrived with dropped tails and dead. Company phone number is out of service. Very disappointed

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices