American Income Lifescam and fraud

My name is Jason. Before you concider employment with this billion dollar company, I ask you read this review I have posted as it may save you MUCH of the aggrivation, time, and money, that it cost me. I did not take the time to type this up because I have way too much time on my hands, I simply typed it because I want others to learn from my "and others" crucial mistakes. I was first hired with A.I.L in "N. Royalton Ohio, " about the end of July 2008. I was promised riches as long as I was a go-getter, and was willing to work long hours. I was in construction for most of my life, and concidered myself very capable of both of these. Apparently, they agreed as I was hired rather quikly, "just as everyone else was with no experience in sales once so ever." I sacrificed EVERYTHING for this job. EVERYTHING in my life was put on hold so that I could give this job the attention I THOUGHT it deserved. I was told that I would be paid training, so that it would be easier for someone like myself to make the career change. The state exam for your insurance license is not easy, and you do have to pay for it out of pocket everytime you fail by the way. It took me only twice luckly. I spent both time..."about one month" and money "about $500" after all the application fees and whatever else to obtain my insurance license. Once I finally obtained my license, I was given a 4 page script that i had to memorize, word for word!! I did not like the fact they didn't tell me about it at first, but hey...i'm a "go-getter." So i sucked it up, and memorized it. This took me an additional 3 weeks to do "for free." Once I acheived this, I was put in a one week training class that was NOT PAID. When I mentioned the fact that I was told I was going to be paid for training, "hurting for some money by this point as you can imagine, " I was told I misunderstood, as the class is paid for, not me. I am not a stupid man!! I know what i was told!! In fact, if it wasn't for that one little detail about the job, I probably would not have taken it. They also told me they did not like me asking questions and pretty much told me to shut up "in there own words." So just like before, I sucked it up and kept going. If you play poker..."I was pot invested, " I had no choice. This is where those "LONG HOURS" started. We would start class at 9 oclock, got out at 4. Then I was instructed to drive to wherever my manager was to sit in on presentations of the bennefits. My first "attempt" at a presentation was at 9 o'clock the same night of my first training day. I did not get home until 11 0'clock!! "FREE MIND YOU!!" 9 to 11...whats that?? 14 hours!?!? When I was dropped off back at my car, I was instructed to go home and read my script more, rather then get some rest for tomorrow morning. The next few nights were the same, not giving me anytime to study any of the material given to us "AND EXPECTED TO KNOW, " in class. So about half way through the class week, I was told about all the postings from former employers and anyone who was/is affiliated with the company in any way shape or form. 95% of what I read was BAD!! And I read alot! No one had anything good to say about this company. I guess i'm not that smart of a man, other wise I would have found this on my own, way back when I was hired!! HAHA...jokes on me I guess. Anyways, the last day of training class was...actually today October 2 2008. The class had ended at 4, and as soon as I walked out I was fired by my manager because MARCUS SMITH didn't have the balls to do it himself, even though he was standing right there. I was fired because someone overheard me talking about the sight with the same person who told me about it. We were both concerned "AS I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE!" Now wouldn't you say it's disturbingly ironic they fired me with no hesitation at all once they found out I knew about the sight/sights? They also said they didn't like the fact I wasn't willing to work 15 hours a day for training even after all i had a acheived thus far! Simple Common sense will tell you that is no way to efficiently train someone! Please...do your research! These people are very good at what they do, and somehow scam thousands like myself. I am a very religious christian "AS THEY CLAIM TO BE, " and DO NOT want this to happen to anyone else, even though I know it will. All the numbers are in black in white if you just look for um. They have a rediculous turn over rate of 95%! Absolutly no one stays with this company unless their dad is an S.G.A. who pays um a rediculous amount of money out of pocket. Of course its your decision whether or not you listen to me...I pray to to the allmighty Jesus Christ that you do.

• Rr
    rrspen316 May 03, 2016

I received an email a while back from someone from here. I was thinking it was another recruiter so I emailed him back and said that I would be interested. I than received a phone call from a lady and I couldn't understand what company she was from but I understood the person's name that she said that I had emailed about a job. She asked if I could come in for an interview and I said what day and time and she said 6:15pm tomorrow. I kind of thought it was weird that a recruiter would be doing interviews at that time but said yes. She said that she would email me the information. I checked my email right away because usually recruiters are fast at sending the information. I didn't receive an email yet so I went through the emails that I had sent recently looking for the name of the person that I had emailed. I found the person and then started doing some research on the company. I then emailed him and said that I never received the information about the interview yet. I also looked up the phone number that had called me and found out that it was a cell phone. I than started thinking that what recruiter would call me from a cell phone and why haven't I heard anything back yet. I then found this site and started reading all of the comments In the mean time I finally got the email and it seemed really unprofessional. Needless to say I am not going to spend my time and gas and money going out there. I live over an hour away and would have to pay toll. I will just wait for something legitimate to come up.

• Bo
    Bob Loblah Oct 19, 2015

Got a call from [protected]
    answered, but no response, sounded like one of those telemarketing calls where they speed dial several numbers and talk to the first one who answers.
    Have my resume, and phone- out on a few sites. After a very (gut feeling) weird call last week about work, I quickly googled this phone number and got all these negative replies.
    wow Funny thing the internet- type in anything you love and the word "scks". Read carefully, you'll find a lot of negative, BUT, some positive too! I could find NOTHING positive about Marcus Smith, or AIL

Matthew satullo Dec 31, 2014

I'm taking courses now and have not yet completed them. The courses are very long and require sacrifice of time as I am willing to do. Needless to say it seems a low percentage of people actually pass the exam the first time. I already payed 150.00 dollars of my money to take this course and I am not guaranteed employment. At this point I do not know what to do keep sticking it out and studying or just forget about it all together. I do not want to be cheated out of anymore of my money so what should I do? It does seem too good to be true but who knows, I just think they do not give you enough time to actually study and learn.

• Mr
    mr.looking for a better job Sep 18, 2014

9/16/14: Everything that was said here about the 1st phone call was the truth, except a guy named Jared called me. Set up a group interview (which I never heard of before), very little details would be given (which is a HUGE red flag), he was reading a script, and wanted me in @ 9:30a. After seeing the Hoover operation in N. Olmsted, I second guess all the Internet jobs( I walked out of that a few funny words for the Operation Manager). When Jared from AI called, have been awake 24hrs+, driving through construction on the highway, and working at that moment. As he's reading the script, I'm writing it down, and I'm driving through road barriers @ 60mphs per hr. My speech was stuttered, my information was jumbled, poorly presented myself, and I slightly questioned my overall condition after the phone call. He assured me it was ok when I told him about my conditions but the funny thing about this conversation was he kept reading the script. The only other conditions that could of made that conversation more worse for me was hot, sticky and muggy but Jared said something like, " I sound like a well put together individual, I carry on a great conversation over the phone, and after careful consideration I could become a key member of the team". I don't remember or care what the script said, it would have been nice if he would of had more time to answered more of my questions. We could of saved each others time if he could of at least told me this is an insurance sales job from the start, when I asked him. Masking it with the terms, " working with union workers families" or what ever was the exact wording was far from insurance sales. Insurance sales is rough work, I understand. I don't deem it a moral career. I'm not the type of person to con people with crafty word play. I would be putting a face on their product and my reputation is way to good to sell a home-brewed product. With all being said, I think I will stick to the ### job i already got. Maybe if the economy was doing better, this job would be fine. I know DOW might of went up the last few days but it doesn't boost the nation's job market. I've been searching for good job in the Cleveland area for well over a year, why would anyone buy insurance when I haven't had a decent job offer since 05'.

• Ti
    Tiffiney H Sep 18, 2014

I have been with the company for almost a year now. I have 3 kids and I am making well over 6, 000 per month. I could probably do more but I basically take weekends off for my kids. This is a real opportunity if you focus and you are hard working. I love it here. The people, the atmosphere. I have owned my own business and you don't know hard work until you have sacrificed everything and see no return. For any opportunity you will need to make sacrifice. At least with AIL, I work hard but my kids are well taken care of financially and I have hope for the future. They tell you in the interview, this is hard work. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Cream always rises to the top though.

scamfinder12 Aug 05, 2014

Conor Tilow of the North Royalton, Ohio Americon Income Life is there current scam artist as of 8/5/2014.

BEWARE This company is a scam and Conor Tilow of North Royalton is one of the people pushing the fraud!

Received a call today and he had me set up an interview to come in tomorrow. He was not a very good salesman as he sounded like he was trying to pull a fast one.

Most likely wanted me to come in the next day so I would not look at these reviews!
    Glad this is the first thing to come up on Google when you type in American Income Life.

• Fa
    FastPitchMomma3 May 07, 2014

I literally just received a phone call from a "Christina" stating they loved my resume! I set up an interview for this upcoming Friday at 9:30 a.m. I went to Google the address and saw this page in the search results! THANK GOD that I read everything! I called "Christina" back and a huge red flag went up when her voice mail came on and it was her number NOT her name! I am sorry, but any respectful big business would have their employees have their name recorded NOT just a standard greeting! She also told me to wear a suit! No, I am going to show up in my every day street close! I'm calling Monster.com and reporting them!

• Ge
    george washington1234 Jun 18, 2012

I apologize, I didn't read the end, I just assumed you quit by all your complaining and whinning. Looks like they did screen you out.

• Ge
    george washington1234 Jun 18, 2012

Can you tell me how you are a go-getter? You can't spell, It took you months to get through training, (it takes go getters 2-4 weeks to finish everything), all you did in that whole comment was complain and talk about your feelings and the kicker is after you finished starting your career YOU QUIT. Will you please explain to me how you can go through all that work just to quit and then call yourself intelligent? Please tell me how you possibily think you are smart by any degree.

Michael Jordan didn't complain about his feelings or all the time he played basketball for free, he was a go-getter, he would scoff at you... I scoff at you, the only thing AIL did wrong was give you a chance, they should have screened you out.

• Ri
    RickAltigsucks May 11, 2012

Super Agent

Again, you are the clearest example of the "agent' that AIL goes after. Someone who is young and dumb enough to believe that everything they have been telling you is the truth. There is so much wrong with your post I'm not sure where to begin. Instead, let's focus on your last sentence, "American Income Life Agents are in the highest paid bracket of all insurance agencies." Please provide the empirical evidence to back that up. Cause all I see is how your renewal contract is one of the worst in the industry. I know they are telling you its the best, but just for fun, prove it to me. Once you do that we can discuss everything else that is wrong with your post. Primarily the need that, given how "successful" you are, you still feel the need to come on here and proclaim to the world that the 4k you claim to make per week is something to be proud of.

• Su
    SuperAgent Mar 29, 2012

Funny that I make 4000 a week here. The only reason I believe I do that is because I believed it was real. The first few weeks are called "boot camp". Lol. It's to seperate the weak from the strong. Well I can take a guess where everyone on here is. This opportunity changed my entire life. The owner is a Christian man and if you did the research, you would know he is in ministry. Every single week, agents make anywhere from 500- to thousands a week in just bonus money. That isn't even their weekly paycheck. The numbers are in fact very real. I have only been here over 6 months and I know that my first few weeks were worth every cent. Oh, and by the way, I did get paid during my training because I sold business. You must not have. Bummer. Good luck in the future. American Income Life Agents are in the highest paid bracket of all insurance agencies.

• Kr
    K. Rollins Feb 07, 2012

I received a phone call today for an interview. I was told they felt I was qualified to be interviewed after reading my resume on Monster.com. I was asked what my salary requirement was, and told I could receive from $50.000 - 60.000.
    After reading these reviews, I too will NOT be attending an interview. In fact, the caller never mentioned insurance. I was told about union packages. Thank you for the heads up. K.Rollins

• Ju
    Julia221 Sep 23, 2011

I was called, and the woman explained a position to me that had nothing to do with being an insurance sales person. I made an appointment thinking it was something I might be interested in. I walk into the room and there were 8 other people waiting there to meet with the same guy. I waited 45 minutes over my appointment time. The guy finally calls me back and he is a complete jerk. right then I knew I did not want to work for him. we started talking and he looked over my resume. He would not look me in the eye, and his questions seemed scripted, and he acted like he didn't even care. He started asking me questions before he even told me anythign about the job! I was very confused. He the nslammed my family by saying I would make more than them, they don't know what it's liek to make this much money, but I told him my sister is a doctor, and I know she makes me money than him. so him saying that was totally not needed. He then kept saying I don't think you're right for this job, and I said ok amybe I'm not. I then told him I had no idea how they even got my resume, and that I felt like i was lied to when the woman first called me. She mentioned nothing about this being a sales job. If I knew it was a sales job I never would have gone. My boyfriend was in the ICU at the time, but he was very adamant about me going to this interview. I was so angry that I was lied to, and then I had to wait forever to be belittled.

• Ml
    mld10 Feb 23, 2011

To the above post:

You clearly are a 21 year old kid who knows nothing of what he's talking about. It's not your fault really, I mean you are only 21 acting like you are 12. You drank way too much of the kool-aid and its laughable that you think you will be earning $100k in renewals for a company with a 95% agent turnover rate and a 70% policy lapse rate. But hey, come on here in 20 years and prove us wrong.

• Ai
    AIL Feb 19, 2011

First of all if you are a mediocre AIL is not for you. this is not an hourly job or a salary job like all you low life losers want. but hey your the first ones to get laid off or stay at the same pay your whole life!! im only 21 and ive been with the company for 6 months. Yes 6 months not 4 weeks like everybody in here talking [censor] about the company. i went from an hourly job paying me 290 a week to having a pure commisioned based career opportunity making over a grand a week. no solicitation no advertising no doorknocking. we are 100 percent provided with leads. and the best part about it is that in 10 years i will be making over 100, 000 a year on just residual income for all of the work im doing now, imagine in 30 years!! while you [censor] looking for something steady a week are gonna stay at 80 or if your lucky 100 thousand a year untill you get laid off just like the rest of the people i roll in for interviews. its scary when you have someone infront of you with so much education and college degrees and so many years of work experience now looking for employment. thats not where i wanna be. i wanna be an sga by the time im in my late 20's and retire at 45. I love AIL it changed my life completely. And its the best opportunity out there!!

• Gt
    gtpwr Jun 29, 2010

I just got an email from a "Cindy Furer" at American Income. I knew it was a scam from the get-go because of the way they phrased their generic email.

I just want to say thank you for posting your experience. I'm so sorry that you had a miserable experience. These types of companies should not exist or they should disclose their policies in writing by law. This makes me quite angry that these types of companies are taking advantage of the current economic hardships to prey on desperate people (it seems that they have recently begun a new wave of mass emails to catch potential prey).

I would suggest that you all WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE with your experiences and concerns and add this link. This type of thing should not go on in the this day and age (like the cheap infomercials). It's a long shot, but maybe something can be done legally to make these types of companies be more ethically forthcoming in writing before anyone has to experience the misfortune of considering them.

What does the BBB have to say about them, I wonder?

There have been thousands of people who have read this, so it seems to be an epidemic of sorts.

• Ae
    aec8507 Jun 07, 2010

Wow, I can't believe all of this! I am amazed... I have recieved a phone call, EXTREMELY similar to the calls everyone else from this company recieved. I went to the interview in an unmarked building and had to sign my name on a list, and everyone on the list was interviewing with the same man I was. I was called back by another gentleman for a one on one interview. He asked me a few questions, then said basically my job history didn't match to their company at all, which wouldn't be a problem. Then I was guided to a room with 11 other people, 3 working for AIL, 7 other people just like me. After the 2.5 hour presentation and talk, I filled out the personality profile and talked to the leading manager for about 15 minutes... that night at 6pm was called back for a second interview. The next day, I show up for the interview and the door was locked. I was only 3 min early! I go to the side of the unmarked building... and another company was in the front. They said "Oh, you must be looking for AIL, right this way..." I figured, oh well, at least they are still there, must be a silly mistake. As the woman took me to the other door, we found it to be locked. I thought "incredible... what is going on here?" She returned to her office for the key, and the guy who wanted to do the second interview with me actually opened the door and asked, "Can I help you?" I was a little shocked as I was just in his office yesterday and saw him for a total of 3 hours that he had no recognition of me. I said with little confidence, "Yes, I'm here for the second interview, with you?" He said, "OH! I'm sorry, you look exactly like the girl who works in the front office there, have you seen her? I swear you are identical... thats why I thought you were her" and I blew it off, relieved the door was opened and I was given some sort of explaination. He was interviewing a woman I saw yesterday from the first interview. The office was empty of anyone else, and it was Friday morning. After she left, I was taken to his office. I waited alone for a few minutes and noticed a whiteboard with the names of the individuals who worked for the company that were in the first interview with me. Near them they had APL= Annualized Life Premiums by their names and what weekly bonus rating they were at. All of them had good numbers by them, with the lowest APL rating being in the 600s (and I assume only one sale) to over 2000 for several. I thought, well it looks people are making money around here. He came back into the office and we talked about the 4 negative reasons why this job is hard, and asked if I could look past those. I thought for sure I could. After the 20-30 min interview I was told I got the job, and he and I were both very excited about me working there. I actually felt accomplished and proud. In the interview, before I left he told me to call him when I have enough money to get the schooling for my liscense started. I would have to meet with him, just to be sure I was on the correct website, etc. I got the money, and called him... then instead of meeting with me as he said he would, he over the phone gave me instructions on how to get started on the course online. I purchased the course, had been studying the information... then remembered he wanted me to look something up about the company on u-tube. As I did a search on AIL I saw all these "scam" comments etc. My heart started to drop a little... and as I read them I thought, "how can this be, oh well someone didn't work hard like I am going to" and as I read on... I realized this is happening to many people, and people don't take time to complain about something on the computer unless it is really bad, really hurtful, or a financial burden and only want to warn others of their endevour. So I decided I'm going to call my "manager" and ask him about all this and see what his reaction is. If he lets me go, I'm not out much except the $129 it cost to get the schooling for my liscense. At least I can take that anywhere... As I said I don't know what else to say... I wish it werent a scam and things would go well as I had been looking for a job for some time, and this one seemed to come right to me. I wish all of you the best of luck and can make your own judgements... God Bless

• Jb
    jblod Apr 14, 2010

I was there today, from what I saw, it was a nightmare. The guy I interviewed with was a complete joke. His pitched was practiced and rehearsed, and he had problems when you asked "tough" questions. He would confidently lie to your face, and talk about what he his doing helps so many people. He was a little skinny dorky guy that thought he was cool. He wanted me to show up for the group interview the next day...yeah, right! You maybe making a lot of money, but scamming people is not how I plan to make it. Keep staring at my legs you dork, brush your teeth and smoke less and a shower would be nice, you are gross. Go back to Eastern Europe and find a dirty hairy girl...ewwwwwwww.

• Bl
    blue who Sep 24, 2009

I have a funny story to tell.

Day 1: My first day no one knows that I am even supposed to be there. I had passed my test first time, and paid for everything. No big deal. So I show up they stick me with an agent who puts me in a office so i can memorize a 3pg script, while he goes to an agent meeting. While I am in there i can hear a managers meeting going on in the next room. The head manager is yelling "[email protected]% this" and "F^*# that" at everyone telling them that when they go out there, they are going to war. This lasted for about an hour. I laughed but because i am stupid i hung around. After lunch there was another meeting and this time i got to go. Theres loud rap music playing before the meeting and the managers come in and everyone starts clapping. during the pep talk the manager says, "weather its your first day or you've been here a year" implying a year is a long time to be there. He said also how if your not makeing certian crazy levels in sales your fired (from a job in which you incurr all the selling expenses). Then at the end we all got up and prayed and guess who lead us, the guy screaming the F%$# at everyone earlier that moring.
    That night at 11pm i get a call from my trainer, "we are going out tommarow. we are gonna drive 3 hours to get there don't worry i'll get you a gas card."(still waiting)

Day 2: So idrive down there with him and we harass old people for their phone book, bust into peoples homes under the false impression that we have something free from them, and heres the false part, NOTHING ELSE. then the guy keeps saying its my "Fudiciary responsibility to get you to buy this!" everyone looked at him like he was ###ed. They all said the same thing "I get this at work for a lot less" or "I think i have aflac." when i asked about the product it seems as though the "freedom of choice" is a whole life policy that they package as a funeral benefit (not to sure if thats what it is, but if it is then thats wrong). you don't package insurance to appear to be something its not. So i get out of the car and drive 3 hours home.

Day 3
    I wake up read the play book see some questionable things. I call Department of Insurance. Drop off my book call my boss tell him where he can find his book :)

DAY 2:

• Pa
    Paul Lund Aug 26, 2009

There are multiple offices in every state in the U.S., Canada and New Zealand. Can you speak for the entire company or just your own experience one office?

• Mc
    Mchel81 Aug 03, 2009

My resume is always posted on several diffrent sites because I am a federal employee and like to know of opportunities with different federal agencies. I got a call from AIL and they said they'd seen my resume. I asked what site and what position where they filling, and just like so many of the complaints I've read they were vague with their answers. When I told the HR person I was a federal employee and wished to remain, she actually said we are affiliated. That is just a bold face lie, government employees are offered their benefits through their agency. I began thinking this sounded shady so I started to do some research on this company and found this site. I am so sorry this scam has happend to so many people. I am going to turn the information I have into some people I know. Maybe if it goes through the right channels their can be charges filed or at least a lawsuit. For everyone who was negatively affected by this SCAM I wish you the best

• Ab
    Abel86 Jul 23, 2009

Thank God I researched this first. I was actually gonna go to the second interview.

• Do
    Donna W. Jun 18, 2009

Wow! I am so glad that I read this. They called me out of the blue today and said the same things..found your resume on monster.com, bring an updated resume and dress professionally. I thought that was a bit odd since I am 53 years old and an RN, PhD! Like I don't know how to dress professionally??? If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck! I have learned over the years to trust my intuition.
    Donna

• Th
    thejoshman Jun 16, 2009

I have worked of AIL-Altig since the middle of April. I've found nothing but friendliness and consideration. I asked about these postings because I had done my home work. My mentor showed me a few things that are utterly contradictory to things said on pages like this i.e- Most people posting on these are all about hear-say with no real experience of the company or how it works. They didn't even bother to go to the interview because of other hear-say.

Yes, we have 2 meetings a week, they're morale boosting! We play games and learn.
    Yes, we book from 4 to 9 p.m. booking appointments is hard stuff, people are hard to work with on the phone, even when you're offering the $1000-$3000 worth of free AD&D coverage. Plus, as in any job, especiallywhen a product/service is being sold, Activity= success= happiness.
    Yes, we have a script. The script was developed because we have SO MANY products to offer and very little time to explain them. It makes the benefits clear, concise, and easily understandable for a consumer who probably has ZERO education in insurance, rates, or terms used therein. It makes the explaination, for lack of better terminology, "Dummy-proof"

Long hours? For the people complaining about long hours. Hardly anyone in history has ever gotten something for nothing. Scams promise huge things for very little effort, which brings me to laughter for people who call this a scam. You have to work hard! Especially during the initial run, the first 3 months or so. Insurance is complicated. It is based on discrimination because it must be. you have to learn alot of new things very rapidly to stay up to pace. They didn't expect me to do very well initially, they told me that to my face but my mentor has promised me that he'll do everything in his power to ensure I succeed, thus far, he has not deviated.

I like the people around me. I like my leadership team. I like helping families during the hardest period in their life, the death of a loved one. I like being that guy who comes into the hospital after being called by a member and seeing the relief on their faces when I say, " It's all taken care of." That's what drives me.

This is a good company with good people. you'll have bad experiences where ever you go. 85% of people don't like their jobs. It's all of what YOU make it. If you're negative (like most on here) it's going to be negative. Look at the glass half full and things will work out.

I took a chance on this company and it has paid off. I just followed one of my favorite sayings. "Aim for the moon! for even if you miss, you will land among the stars." I find that to be very true.

I'm sorry you all feel this way, but, my story is testament to the legitimacy of American Income Life. Have a great day, I know I will.

• Bi
    Billy Jun 04, 2009

I have worked there for a year and fully enjoy it. I agree it is not for everyone. I like being in the field and enjoy meeting and helping my clients. Also, you are building your own business in which you need to be licensed by the state. This is not a punch the clock type of job. I was in real estate for 10 years and it works exactly the same way.

• Yo
    Young Faith Jun 02, 2009

Money is the root to evil yet we all need money to survive.First of all, Honesty, is not an easy word nor Trust and Truth.Your hear the words "make money" and dont do your research.Every job is not for everyone. If you posted a resume every company is viewing it whether you qualify or not.Many prey on the weak and desparate job seekers.
    The company is wrong for the misleading words.Their ethinics conduct if reposted to the small business bureau will be look into.You who go to the interviews are responsible for asking questions before an interview appointment is set up that will tell you alot about the person on the otherside of the phone not the company.
    1. know what you want from your job besides money
    2. know the company you are being interviewed by
    3.always ask questions, if the answer thats a plus if not call maybe that is not the job for you.
    4. Money is a need to everyone.Know you dont let an outsider abuse you and take you forgranted
    Last, forgive yourself first and forgive those with the attitudes.wrong is wrong.If you went through the training and went a took the exam and have a license guess what you can apply with a respectable company where one door closes another one will open.
    The world is being woke up yet a few are paying attention.You can be your own ememy.
    yes report them have the facts and you just help someone else from getting hurt.Those that have made money good for you hold on to it.to all...Dont be a foolish fool...Everyone mistakes are made know yourself and forgive yourself first then heal while using knowledge, wisdom, understanding and discernment... Young Faith

MattS Jun 01, 2009

I can see why some people say AIL is a scam, they can definitely be misleading. Listen to what they are saying, take things literally and you should know if the AIL opportunity is for you or not in about a minute. If you have not figured it out by then, you are interviewing to be an INSURANCE AGENT, nothing else. If you have a car, can speak somewhat proper and look presentable they'll take you along with any other life insurance company. Some people make good money, most don't, how do they know who'll succeed up front, they have to go through a lot of people to find the one's that can do it. It's your choice, just don't get mad if they contact you because your resume is out there.

scam!! May 15, 2009

Its not a scam exactly bc the product is actually pretty good. However, the hiring and treatment of the agents is awful. I didnt even have a very poor experience working with them, but it was their ethics that drove me away. They do hire absolutely everyone, make you go through training and take exams for your license all of which is out of pocket. They mislead you on the pay. When you start you dont necessarily get the "best selling markets" so you have a rough time making sales, and then they make you sucker in more people to come work for them. I worked in the Denver office and the management is horrible!! They are rude, even to the point of being sexist, bc they know they'll just be getting a new batch of "agents" coming in. Definitely dont work for AIL!! Its not worth the stress, mistreatment, and costs

Maureen Apr 30, 2009

Jason,

Thanks for your posting. I'm sorry you had to go through such a wretched experience with those charlatans. You are better off! I suppose "successful salesman" feels wonderful about performing a character assassination regarding your comments about your experience. Highly unlikely he will ever be employed in the Public Relations field.

In any event, I actually had a sales rep come to my house from a referral of a friend who is a union member. I mentioned that I was seeking employment and consequently was not financially in the position to purchase a life insurance policy. He immediately told me that they had openings and offered ( I did not inquire) that I would make upwards of 100, 000. He has called requesting that I schedule an interview. I made no mention of my professional experience in our meeting. Why would anyone call someone and ask that I schedule an interview without even considering I may be an out of work sanitation engineer. They of course make the best sales reps. Infer what you will from that one:)
    You will be a success Jason, you have integrity.

• Mi
    Micaela Apr 27, 2009

I too got contacted today by ALI to meet with Mr. Carbone next week at 9:30am. I've been having such a hard time finding a job that when I got the call from an "insurace" company I thought this would be a good opportunity for me. (I did get a little suspicious when the lady on the phone told me to bring cash since they do not pay for parking and I would need to pay in advance. It made me a little suspicious that they would ask me to bring cash since in all my previous interviews they just tell me that they will not provide parking and leave it at that. But no, they want ME to "bring" cash.) Since I wanted to prepare myself for the interview by learning as much as I could about the company in advance I googled the name of the company and behold I find all of your postings. I was so glad that I did! I've been scammed once before but I will not be scammed again! They basically charge you all these upfront fees before they "really" hire you and make you do all the work for them. Of course they never hire you but they won't tell you that until you start to suspect something or they've drained you out of all your money.

Please everyone be careful with this company. These people are well trained and know how to get at your wallet. Do not give them the opportunity to rip you off and stay away from them. Thank you Jason for letting us know of your experience with this company. I am so sorry you had to go through that but in the end it is truly the honest, hard working people like you that end up at the top.

• Bb
    bboynsd Apr 24, 2009

I just went through the Fortune 500 list. Torchmark is not listed.

• Mi
    mikel799 Mar 20, 2009

To the original poster - the best part about your whole blog was when you claimed to be a Christian AFTER you called Marcus Smith a "rich snobby ### with no balls". Shame on you! Christians do not talk this way... "by their fruits, ye shall know them"

Scott Mar 17, 2009

American Income Company Information

American Income Life Insurance Company was founded more than 50 years ago and has grown into one of the nation’s largest supplemental insurance providers. American Income is licensed in 49 states with a subsidiary, National Income Life Insurance Company, servicing New York completing national coverage.
    American Income Life Insurance Products
    American Income primarily provides supplemental life insurance products to associations, labor unions and credit union members and has serviced the labor union category since its conception. The company also provides group accident and sickness coverage, specializing in youth groups and 4-H camps. For more information on American Income products, you can contact the company by telephone or online.
    American Income Ratings
    AM Best A+
    S&P AA
    American Income Contact Information
    P.O. Box 2608
    Waco, TX 76797
    www.ailins.com
    Request a free life insurance quote for you and your family * >>
    * My-Life-Insured.com makes no representation, express or implied, that you will receive a quote from the company or companies profiled on this page. My-Life-Insured.com provides free information concerning companies, insurance products and services but is not an agency or an insurer. Not all products are available in all states, and no guarantees regarding same are made herein. Please speak to a licensed insurance agent for more information. Read more about us.
    If you read the closest thing I could find to a homepage, there are several contradictions in it. I'm a bit unsure as to whether they are even a real insurance provider. I was told earlier today on the phone that the manager saw something in my resume he like, she guessed, and that he saw it on monster or hot jobs or "something". The whole conversation was scripted at first, until I kept interrupting her. I mean, flaky from the word go. I figured out pretty quick when the word sales came up that it was commission based and said that evidently someone did not actually read my resume. If they had they would have seen that I'm a trained and certified computer geek, not a commissioned salesman. The kicker was she said that there were multiple positions available, and that she didn't know them because she was only the appointment setter?????? How flaky is that?????
    Good thing I google every company I interview with. It's good to know something about the people you are considering working for. Also, real interviewers respect and appreciate someone who does their homework pre-interview. Either way, I am supposed to drive to another state, only about 45 minutes away, but still...it's a different state, for a 9am. interview. I almost want to just to make the wannabe manager interviewing me have a bad day from the word go, lol. Hey God Bless you Brother and thank you for saving me from wasting my gas money. Every dime is a big deal right now, and I'm sorry to see it happened to you. Let's hope we can save a few more, too.

• Ga
    GaH Feb 25, 2009

AMERICAN LIFE INSURANCE IS A SCAM.

I got a call for an interview for Friday BUT I cancelled because there were too many red flags
    (1) the question I got on the phone were the EXACTLY THE SAME as the person who posted this story, American Income Life — integrity of company

(2) the so-called HR person who setup my interview DIDN'T HAVE any idea what I was interviewing for. I was supposed to meet a guy called Mark Beckford.

(3) I was told to wear a suite and bring a resume - what kind of idiot doesn't do that for an interview

(4) On the website, there is "Interview FAQ’s" - what kind of company has such things.

(5) When first got a message and I returned the call. When I didn't hear back I called repeatedly through the afternoon. I could not get hold of a human being - that option 3 is supposed to HR department.

(6) all the horror stories on

• 5o
    5o5 Feb 17, 2009

Wow thanks alot really! I just came hoem about 5 minutes ago and received a message in my answering machine for AIL for a management position and to call back to schedule an interview. After reading these posts I sure as hell won't call them back...or maybe just for the fun of it to tell them what I think about them.

• Vl
    vlp Jan 27, 2009

I am so glad I checked out this company online. I have an "interview" schedulded with the AI in Charlotte NC with Jim Logan this Thurs 01/29/09. I thought something was odd about all of this too. I really need a job just as much as everyone else who is looking but there is no way no how that I will go to that interview. I think it is a shame for them to get a persons hopes up for a job. Hang in there my fellow job seekers and know you are not alone in your search.

jaj Jan 27, 2009

Hi, I was also contacted by this company today but immediately deleted the email since I had already had a similar experience with another company in which I was contacted for a position in marketing and advertising with a chance to quickly move up to management. I was intrigued by the offer and went to the first interview, where after leaving I realized I still did not know what type of position I was interviewing for. I was told to come in the following Monday and do a shadowing day. I came in that Monday and sat in an office for an hour with several other people who apparently had no idea about what we were suppose to be doing that day either and what type of position we were interviewing for, you would think by that point we would at least know that. I spent the day riding around with several other people in a car going from business to business, in a not so good part of town, trying to sell phone packages. I immediately told them when I got back to the office that I was not interested. I felt so horrible for these kids that were involved in this thinking they were going to be promoted quickly and soon own their own business. The name of these companies were Tek marketing group and CNX, so if anyone receives an email from them do not waste your time. Thanks so much to everyone else for posting. It's so unfortunate that during this unemployment crisis there are people out there taking advantage of others.

• Jr
    JRPapollo Dec 31, 2008

Ah well, time for me to tell my story; if only I'd found this website (or the many others like it) before accepting employment from American Income Life. First off let me start with this: make no mistake, AIL is a multilevel marketing scheme. They are rated A+ superior, yes, however this speaks only to their solvency, not their business ethics. Yes, the stock profile is better than average, but they make their money by cashing in people like you and me.
    Not only is AIL the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for (I have worked for two small businesses that operate in the owners home, both were leaps and bounds more professional than AIL), but it is without a doubt the least ethical (by again, leaps and bounds). I paid an expensive price for my naivety (at this point, I have $9.67 in my checking account and 37.40 in my savings account. I spent over two grand for this job, stupid me); my hope is that others can avoid the disaster I suffered by finding my story, and the story of others, online.
    Forget what they tell you in the job description about 'helping people' and being a 'manager trainee program.' Here is the job, mislead people on the phone to get them so schedule an appointment, enter their home under false pretenses, and then emotionally manipulate them as much as possible to try and get them to buy life insurance they may or may not need.
    Now, I understand that emotional manipulation is an intrinsic part of advertising and sales, however, this is not the part that is really despicable. It's the 'entering people's homes under false pretenses' part. You are going into someone's home, having just short of lied to them about why you are even there; that act is not moral. And then on top of that, your job is to assault them with underhanded sales techniques until they cave and buy a life insurance policy. In this job, you are essentially a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. They just want any excuse to get their foot in the door so they can sell someone. I am not capable of doing that, so I quite.
    They tell you that you won't have to work hard... I was working up to fourteen hours a day, and I was working seven days a week. I should mention, I did that willingly and was never late (my manager was almost always late), and I barely slept for about three weeks. I am not afraid of hard work; I worked my way through college for a BS in math. Twenty to thirty hours a week at a job and college full time is hard work. So please understand, I left the company because I could not reconcile the business practices of this company with my conscience, not because they wanted me to work hard (though strangely, they kept insisting that the job was 'easy, ' and 'you only had to work smart, not hard').
    When I quit, my GA was very professional. I handed her a letter of resignation, and she said, “Okay. I'll need your leads so we can reconcile them.” She was fine about it (I imagine she'd been through someone quiting about a million times before). But then, my SGA wanted to see me (I presumed for an exit interview). He basically just berated me for a while. Looking back, I don't really see what the point of that was. He had always had a lot of hope for me. I think he could tell that I am a hard worker. Also, I passed the state exam the first time, which no one else I encountered at the office had done (most took it about three times, some more). So, perhaps he was just angry to lose me. I tried to remain professional, he didn't stop the verbal barrage until I used the phrase, “bait and switch.” I used it to describe what they do in people's homes (basically, “here are some free benefi-BuySomeLifeInsurance!!!) Wow, just thinking back, what an absolutely horrible experience, and it gets even better.
    Now that I quit, they apparently aren't going to pay me my first pay check. Or they aren't going to pay me the full amount anyways. When I went out with my “leads” (more on those later) and my manager did the closing, I was supposed to get paid for those. Now, they're basically making my commission a lot less because I quit, which is illegal in the state of Maryland. So, just to get my pay check (my minuscule conciliation price of $700) I have to file a compliant form in district court. Yes that's right, just to get my pay check from this company, I have to take them to court... awesome (sarcasm).
    Please anyone reading this, just save yourself the misery and stay away from this company. If you want to do sales, great. There are many non-MLM sales jobs out there for you, where you won't have to be a ###. If you really want to sell life insurance, great. There are many reputable companies out there to work for that won't screw you over.
    Phew, so many things to talk about with this company. Next, lets talk about those “leads.” They aren't actually leads. Leads, would be people who maybe wants to buy life insurance, these are not those people. Your “leads” might as well be a random sampling of the population. These poor people are those who have requested no cost benefits through there union. How is that related to, they want to buy life insurance? It isn't! Basically, AIL strikes a deal with a union to provide minuscule no cost benefits in exchange for getting a salesperson into the home of some union member. If I were in a union that dealt with AIL, I'd be pretty upset.
    It's strange, but I went through different phases with this company. They had me so sold on them at first (how naive I was). I was ready to work hard and sacrifice. By the end, however, I could see right through my SGA's ###. When he was verbally assaulting me for my 'exit interview, ' half the things he said didn't even make sense. In a way, it was sort of sad. It was amazing, in only four and a half weeks time, I went from idolizing my SGA, to feeling sorry for him.
    On a side note, it's interesting, I read one comment about how a new-hire's car was nicer than their manager's. That was the case for me too, and I was just a working student! And another odd thing, my SGA was all about God. I think he was basically using “The Secret” as a motivational tool for his employees. Please keep in mind, I'm not saying it's odd that he is very religious, that is completely common and normal. What's odd is how he sort of forced it on me (and everyone else). Throughout the office, there are messages on dry erase boards about how 'though God all things are possible.' What things are they talking about? Ripping people off to make band? I'm no deity, but I'm pretty sure swindling people is wrong. Not to mention, the SGA makes almost a million dollars a year on his MLM empire. I'm pretty sure I remember something from Bible school about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter heaven. I'm just saying, I think this definitely qualifies as irony. The other thing where he really pressed the issue was when he said that God was the only thing that could center you. It was a very awkward moment in the training class for me, because he made everyone in the room say that God centers them. Firstly, I personally believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I happen to not believe in any sentient creator being. He rode me until I more or less said that I believed in God and that God is the only thing that can center me. I should have seen a red flag at that point. I think I was just still so sold on the whole thing. But, I digress.
    Looking back, I don't know how they ever fooled me. I guess I just wanted to believe that there was some sort of short cut to wealth. And perhaps, if one has no concern for integrity, then there is. For me however, no paycheck is worth that. That is a bit comforting to know, but I still don't know how I'm going to pay my bills this month...
    So please, please, learn from my mistake. Don't work for American Income Life. I know the job market is tough right now, but save yourself the indignity.

• Li
    Linda Dec 23, 2008

Sadly, I've gone through the same situation as Jason...

My encounter with AIL was right after I graduated from college in May. I was applying for jobs left and right and, when I got the call to interview with AIL, I was blinded by the "opportunities" that were promised. Luckily, I passed my license exam on the first try and flew through my training. I was in the field in no time -- much thanks to the fudged "release" reports that my field trainer produced to allow me to get out in the field and sell, sell, sell.

Once I started, I realized that their idea of "opportunities" meant blindly following a cult-like organization. I was sexually harrassed in the office and belittled by my GA/field trainer. Brainwashed by management, I put up with the abuse for too long because I didn't want anyone to think I was a "cancer" or a source of negativity.

When I wasn't selling as much as my management wanted, Marcus told me he would help me out and find a new territory. I was considered "lucky" to get new leads in a territory almost 2.5 hours away from my house.

After a horrible 3 months as an agent, I left AIL. I walked out and never looked back. I can't say that I didn't learn from this experience -- it made me realize how important my sanity and my family are to me. Both were lost during my time at AIL.

• Ji
    jim Dec 10, 2008

great company for those who want to work for there money not for people who just want the money handed to them but as my grandmother told me anything worth having is worth working hard for. all of you must have too much time on your hands to complain about a company that is offering you a job than again maybe that is why you are unemployed. keep sponging off us working people and complaining about those who offer you opportunity ya that seem like a good plan.