Menu

Absolute Write  -  abuse of power from admin(s) and mods

J
Author of the complaint
4:06 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm walking away from AW forever after my most recent "encounter" with the AW Admin. I posted a paying job for writers, set my requirements, and gave as much detail and I could muster. My post was closed with only this to say:

"I certainly wouldn't submit to someone with this attitude, and really don't appreciate having AW's PMs used for submission.

The professional approach would have them PM if interested, and respond with an email address for actual submission.

Attachments to PM aren't going to go through; don't even try because it will just piss me off.

Also: someone who can write this:

"There is no judgements here and if these topics offend you, by all means withdraw from this project."

has absolutely no right to cast aspersions at non-native speakers—who often understand English grammar better than native speakers do, and likely wouldn't screw up a subject-verb agreement."

This response feels personally fueled with an obvious agenda. I will include my post so that anyone can see what was on the site, since I have a feeling I will be banned for filing a complaint:

"Hello freelancers writers,

I will briefly mention a few very important topics that will determine our working together.

1) Native English speakers are required. This is a language based project and I find it easier to not combat potential language barriers. No offense and thank you for your understanding.

2) If you submit to my project and have not read this job description I will not only ignore you, but will also file a formal complaint with the platform. Please do not waste our time with your spam.

3) This project will contain content not suitable for all persons. If you are easily offended please do not apply. It will be best for both of us.

4) When submitting to the project, please do so through direct message.

Now then, let's discuss Project Fallen Goddess and expectations. Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, sorry I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it too, I've decided to start a new project and help support writers who may be in need of work. It's not a winning lottery ticket, but it's something that can keep us both busy while the world works on a return to sanity.

Fallen Goddess is a series that will follow multiple characters that are not necessarily related to one another or even within the same universe. The general concept is rather simple: remarkably powerful female heroine faces her most desperate hour. As you may have guessed by the title, things will not go so well for her, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many highly enjoyable genres are largely based on things not going well for the characters we follow, often resulting in them walking away banged up, if walking away at all. Horror for example seldom ends well. But, it obviously has a very large fan base having survived many years. This project will be no different despite its sexual nature.

The series will contain graphic sexual acts (non-consent), violence, foul language, and criminal activity. As the warning states above, it isn't for everyone and that's totally fine. There is no judgements here and if these topics offend you, by all means withdraw from this project. I will not be pulling any punches here, so it will be for the best.

A document is in development containing an outline for this project that will include descriptions for characters, locations, scenarios, and much more to draw from. Of course, new ideas are always welcomed, but those will be discussed before being implemented. It's my goal to keep this series going for quite some time. Bring your creativity.

I know I haven't touched every point of this project, and that is intentional. The document I will provide will be more forthcoming. Questions are not only welcomed, but encouraged!

If you're interested in this project please apply and be prepared with your portfolio. The writings I'm most interested in as proof of your competency will include: sex scenes, fight scenes, action scenes, and solid dialogue examples that showcase characters. Show, don't tell of course. Looking forward to meeting you.

A final word: experience does not make a writer, dedication and practice does. Likewise, having written many things does not make you a good writer. All are welcome to apply and will be considered based on skill and style.

JRG"

As you will see, I was trying to prevent someone who might be sensitive to the material from reading it. It's a hard business, not offending others. It's damn right impossible. I wrote the admin back, very civil, to which they never replied. Here is my response:

"Goodness. The reason for your apparent annoyance with me in our previous PMs is clear now. This is the first time I'm seeing your response and a bit shocked by it. I wasn't meaning offense in any way, and truthfully the post was a copy paste from my Guru ad. If you've ever tried to find a writer on there you might understand why I've included this as part of my request. The vast majority of submissions on Guru/Freelancer are in broken English from my experience. In hindsight, which is always 20/20 as they say, I might have thought better of it considering this site is 100% dedicated to writing in English from what I can tell. It was a poor choice not to revise before posting I admit without question. It would have been nice if I were able to reply, apologize, and revise my post rather than a total slam in the face with your words and shutdown. Kind of harsh and 100% based off assumption on your part.

Regarding the PMs, to be honest (again) I'm no expert in PM limitations here. I just thought it would be best to discuss through PM, rather than bloat the post. I'm looking to pay people for their work. That is about the only intent I can say that I have. The more I think about your aggressive reply, the more I wonder if your attitude is better than the alleged one I have. I've never been a mod on a forum, but imagine you probably deal with some frustrating stuff. I don't really know what to say beyond an apology if I've offended you and take your feedback constructively."

It's rather appalling that they are an "Amazon affiliate", proudly displaying that banner on their page. If I were Amazon I'd request that removed. I know people who work there, and they wouldn't want to be associated with people who behaved this way. It's not very "customer-centric".

Update by JR Grim
Apr 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Latest update. I think the admin, Lisa, is on drugs or something... done with this form. I would not respect, nor spend money with ANY author that partakes in this crazy, toxic forum. There is something truly wrong here and it should not stand. I've been nothing but polite.

[QUOTE=AW Admin]HisWrite;

Whatever your intent, your posts very much sound like you're collecting personal fetish material.

Moreover, when I lock a thread it is unwise to open a new thread that is essentially attempting the same thing as the locked thread.

I've removed your access to the Freelance subforums.

AW Admin

[QUOTE=regdog]Hello;

I am one of the Mods of the Paying Market. I deleted your second thread because it is the same request as your thread which was locked by the site Adminstrator. We do not allow duplicate threads.

Regards
regdog[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Update by JR Grim
Mar 30, 2020 9:17 am

Here is an update. Apparently the AW Admin was being sympathetic before:

[QUOTE=AW Admin]HisWrite

You seem to be operating under some confusion. To wit:

1. I didn't move your post. A mod moved your post.

2. I'm the Admin. I'm the person who deal with problems.

3. You're a problem. Members were offended by your post and objected to it.

[B]You're on a site frequented by writers, editors and agents, many of whom have been making a living in publishing.
[/B]
Your post was at [I]best[/I] problematic.

Your current post isn't much better. Bluntly put, you look like an amateur who hasn't a clue and isn't professional.

And I'm no longer inclined to be sympathetic.

Lisa
AW Admin

[QUOTE=HisWrite]It was a poor choice not to revise before posting I admit without question. It would have been nice if I were able to reply, apologize, and revise my post rather than a total slam in the face with your words and shutdown. Kind of harsh and 100% based off assumption on your part.[/quote]

[QUOTE=HisWrite]The more I think about your aggressive reply, the more I wonder if your attitude is better than the alleged one I have. I've never been a mod on a forum, but imagine you probably deal with some frustrating stuff. I don't really know what to say beyond an apology if I've offended you and take your feedback constructively.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Lisa,

Thanks for the feedback. I am new to this, for sure, and can't know what I don't know. I'll do my best to learn along the way.

JRG

1 comments
S
Apr 08, 2020 2:17 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Sorry you experienced that treatment but not surprised. I know all too well how awful the mods are. Treating people like children and barking orders. Who do they think they are? They are a bunch of power-tripping, ego-tripping losers. They have no real qualifications of anything. None of them are even writers. They bought a forum and they think it gives them the right to treat everyone like crap. It's clear not everyone is welcomed especially self-published authors. They allow members to talk to self-published authors any way they want but let someone say anything negative about a publisher and they jump on you. It's pathetic and sad and it's easy to see why no one felt sorry for them when they got hacked. Hate to say it, but they deserved it and shouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

How this board is still around is beyond me. It's a joke and no self-respecting self-published writer needs to go anywhere near that place. Some of the members are as arrogant and stuck up as the mods. Their "writing" advice is stuck in the 50's. They're just a bunch of old losers over there hanging on to the dinosaur known as trade publishing. It's pathetic how many of those posters have been there for over 10 years, still can't get published but trying to give OTHERS advice? Don't make me laugh. It's the nastiest board and next to Goodreads one of the top sites indies should avoid forever!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

20 complaints