Menu

Westwood Books review: Book publishing

P
Author of the complaint
2:56 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company is a vanity publishers. On no account should you accept any offer to publish your manuscript with them. They will take your money and do nothing. I entered into a deal with them where they charged me $1000.00 to publish my book. They promised reviews, press releases, exposure at book fairs etc. but once they had taken my money they stopped responding to my emails. It took me months to sort out the mess. Their aim is solely and purely to con aspiring authors. They are the worst type of vanity publishers that exist.

32 comments
Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm EDT

You were Lucky

Aug 12, 2022 10:13 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have had numerous calls from a female from Westwood Publishing, purporting to be interested in my already published book. She told me that Amazon put Westwood on to me because my book was 5-star material.

Thanks all for your comments above. I live outside of the US and was not sure if she was genuine or not.

It is sad that scammers are in every arena and we have to be on the alert.

Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm EDT
Replying to comment of Donesia

Her name is false... Sofia Robins ... I think she must be the same one who scammed me ...

And spoiled all my summer days ... cheating after cheating asking for money ...

You were lucky...I was scammed heavily...

She can cheat a devil... But not for long ...

Jul 29, 2022 10:26 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was scammed by Westwood Book publisher ... I am searching for an honest lawyer to deal with ...

Because they can sell my poems... already advertising my cover to cheat others...and the book is not published yet...!

Do you know any honest lawyer?

There are many complaints about them we should unite and do something...

They can cheat others easily ... We should protect innocent Authers from them ...

Jul 28, 2022 6:20 am EDT

What a joke (yet again)

Not sure where they have obtained my details (no doubt stems from xlibris) long winded carry on about a book I've published, blah blah blah.

I've never published a damm book. Awaiting title of said book I'm supposed to have written. Not the first time I've had to put up with this [censored]. Roll on the next scammer they sell my details onto

C
May 19, 2022 2:59 pm EDT

My advice to all is to self-publish through Amazon KDP. You can do all the work yourself for free, as I have done with my 20+ books. Then you can go to Audible (an Amazon company) and seek out different narrators to create an audio book for you. They sometimes charge by the finished length of the recording, or settle for a royalty share. I have done this for 13 of my books, all save one for royalty share.

E
Jul 12, 2022 2:02 pm EDT

Hi there

Thank you so much for your advise.

Regards

Eugene

PS - I'd like to keep in touch with you for when I want to republish my book - Please. I'm on [email protected]

on Facebook - Eugene Marillier. I'd really appreciate your time.

Mar 07, 2022 5:19 pm EST

I just got a message from them today and I always pretend to be interested but the person got emotional about it and openly admitted he didn’t have time to scam me be because they already tried, the guy who comes up with these Fahd companies is from the Philippines and kid you not, he is actually gay and does not care about anyone he extorts money out of. He uses fake names, profiles & pictures & continues to suck people in who are desperate to get there book published.

K
Mar 10, 2022 4:28 pm EST

Steve Scarnie [email protected], it is evident that you have been a victim of a scam, and we are genuinely sorry for that. We’ve read through your review and believe there is some confusion; as you said, Westwood, as a company, is operated by someone based in the Philippines who happens to be gay and has been using fake names and photos to extort money from authors. Maybe this review is for someone else or, perhaps, another business? We take these matters very seriously but unfortunately, we have no record or recollection of your experience with us, nor can we verify anything about your identity from your name in our records. Thus, you are not qualified to post a review regarding our firm and products and services. You may have only exchanged a few emails from one of our sales representatives, but that does not qualify you to slander our company's reputation. You have tried to lure her into doing business with us, and despite her professionalism, you lack to show her courtesy and decency. If you’re still in the process of finding a way to get back to those people who scammed you in the past, then I hope you can find that person. Nonetheless, this review may not affect her job since she is one of our finest sales reps, but we hope you can also consider how this can affect other people’s employment, perhaps on your next review for someone.

Jul 29, 2022 10:21 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was scammed by Westwood Book publisher ... I am searching for an honest Lawer to deal with ...

Because they can sell my poems...already advertising my cover to cheat others...

Feb 24, 2022 1:34 am EST

I had just received an offer for republishing a book by Westwood's published or must I say printed by Partridge before . I am grateful for the reviews . I had a similar bitter experience from partridge. Never again do I want to go down that path.

Jul 29, 2022 10:48 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Partridge are after me as well thank you for the information ...

Dec 10, 2021 5:24 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

West books contacted me about reprinting my book and after searching about them I confronted West books about what I had found on the internet and consultant replied me #[censored] off and don't contact me again.
I replied #Is this the language you use with your clients, I did not contact you in the first place. I will report this scam unless you apologize.
George Malinga

Dec 10, 2021 5:09 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I confronted Westbooks about what I found in my internet research and the person responded to me saying -[censored] off and dont contact me again.
George Malinga

R

This is my experience with Westwood publishing company. It started off good in which I publish not one but THREE books with them. I even hired their editor to make corrections as needed before the publication. They did a good job publishing the three books but that is where the good ends and the NIGHTMARE begins.

Upon their recommendation I purchase their Book Review package in which someone would read the book and write a review about it. I later found out the price was quite expensive and the person who was to read the book and give the review was from overseas, I believe the Philippines. It has been a year since the check cleared the bank and I have not received the review. I have repeatedly asked them to either refund me the money or do the review. Neither has been accomplished. The review according to Westwood would help promote the book and would be a plus factor in marketing. And I regretfully believe them.

Secondly, I purchase the webpage package from them. They sent a copy of a webpage already published and I thought it was pretty good. After months of waiting they finally produce an excellent webpage but it would be published under authorrdaxmaurice.com. When I googled it, it would not come up and the Internet noted that it was not published. I repeatedly request them to finish the job and to publish it under author r dax maurice what was never done. I have for months tried to find my webpage but it is nowhere to be found.

There is some references to the three books that I publish with Westwood on the internet but the books are unavailable. There is no way you can purchase the books. It has been months that I have tried to eliminate this problem so my friends could order my books. It begs the question, if they made the order would they actually print it and send it? Also, my marketing scheme has been put on hold due to their negligence.

And finally they have tried to seduce me into buying a package that would promote my book. I told them I believe it was a scam because they did not fulfill the two already paid for obligations of the book review and the publishing of my webpage, how can I trust them to fulfill this new promise. I have tried communicating with them regarding the book review, the webpage, and the publishing of the website, but my request fell on deaf ears.

I also read the fine print in the contract and it said that I cannot sue them for any reason except in Florida. So if you are a distance from Florida I would recommend NOT signing the contract because it will cost you dearly in monies to go to Florida, hire an attorney, and the anguish of what I am going through. I believe they know this because they repeatedly ignore me. So if you are contemplating publishing with Westwood, good luck, but for me it has been a NIGHTMARE. My recommendation is DO NOT DO IT.

Aug 09, 2022 11:48 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Westwood publishers are scamming honest authors like me and you...

Action should be taken against them not to scam innocent authors ... Please contact me ...

Jun 10, 2021 11:06 am EDT

I have suffered so much from Westood publishing too.. I have been following with them for the past 4 month with properly reply, necessary delays, bad and careless customer service. As many mentioned in the internet this company is more a fraud.. once they take your money they never care about time of publishing or responding to their customers.

O
Feb 27, 2021 1:42 pm EST

[censored] ... I try to write a nice long complaint with questions posed to other bloggers and when I am forced to "sign up" and then return here to send my comment it has entirely been erased.

now my complaint is about this complaint site.

Has anyone verified how Westwood can assure you of any income from sales or royalties from sales when they have had the order placed to them directly and fulfilled by them?!? This ought to be the primary way for book retailers to obtain copies and it appears there is not allowance for some royalty to the author for such sales ? I'd appreciate hearing fom someone at ostlern my last name and first initial at yahoo.

thank you.

O
Feb 27, 2021 1:37 pm EST

Did anyone realize that there are no royalties or income from sales if the order is placed and fulfilled directly by Westwood. Has anyone obtained an answer about how to get 100% royalties if one never learns there has been any sales ... and certainly Westwood is not the business of trying to make the author rich and famous ... with nothing in it for them ... which is the meaning of 100% Guaranteed Royalties ... but only for the books you order and pay and sell yourself.
Anyone with an explanation I would appreciate it ... otherwise what they have in the contracts seems pretty reasonable?!?!? You are invited to write me at my last name and first initial on yahoo mail. Thank you

Ostlern Neal Ostler

Oct 29, 2021 8:47 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Replying to comment of ostlern

Good Day Ostlern, I've only received on royalty check and invested plenty. I cannot see if the book is selling because there are no quarterly reports or feedback on if Westwood campaigns are selling the book. I've been doing with them for at least two years, and one royalty check.

A
May 26, 2020 12:00 pm EDT

I was contacted Westwood Books Publishing this week and prior to doing anything with them, began online search of reviews. I am grateful that you shared your experience with us, to protect us from false investment.
Perhaps, you should file complaints with Better Business Bureau to stop these predators.

Sep 11, 2019 2:50 pm EDT

I contracted Lester Grant of Westwood Books Publishing early this year for my "Artful Parenting" book's promotion. I signed up for a book trailer which was so expensive but I believed in him so I went on with it. A couple of weeks later, I did not hear anything from until one day he called me and explained he was in Florida and he'll be returning to California after two days. He did call and that horrible background noise in his end has almost driven me up the wall. Then he continued talking to tell me I will get a royalty. And oh wow! surprisingly, I received a royalty check of $8.00. So, I had to close my eyes and think- this can't be real! Ironically, he even told me that my book was recognized by Simon & Schuster and that they were interested in republishing my book. From then on, I started to feel something's not right.

I've paid about $10, 000 to this company but I never have gotten sales as I was told. I believe it should make sense as they are Con artists in the literary world. I will never work them again. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend them to other authors.

Sep 18, 2019 12:56 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am Judi Holdeman and the author of the above mentioned book. I did not make this complaint nor did I give authorization for anyone to do this. It is not even an accurate story of what happened. I am very disappointed in my dealings with Westwood Books Publishing; however, what they did to cheat me out of money is their problem - not mine.

Aug 01, 2019 7:01 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Westwood Books Publishing LLC is a bunch of bandits. I worked with them since June of last year for my Contemporary book. As a neophyte author, undeniably I sincerely needed a marketing firm to turn to concerning promoting my book. Getting a call from Remy Rodriguez was how this most horrible nightmare has started. She called me about my book explaining that it was recommended by Amazon for it didn't have any five-star reviews online. I was told that getting my book on Amazon is just basic but getting it to book fairs or signings is half the battle. Being instructed by someone; whom I thought was a leader in the field, joining the Miami Book Fair was my first move. A week later she called me to get a book review. Remy told me how realistic that review was. Getting trust and credibility for my book from readers is the significance of that review, so I went on with it. The next two weeks were a bit dreadful. I rang this company to check on the projects I paid. I was advised that I was listed on their official entry for the Miami book fair and to expect copies of marketing materials such as bookmarks, flyers, and all that stuff; which they are all subject upon my approval. So I waited for it patiently.

The whole months of August and September were horrendous. Remy; a woman which she once had claimed herself to be, but with thorough investigation came out to be a demented pathetic insane gay from the Philippines. Sexual orientations and preferences are things I have no qualms with. What has distressed me is his incessant rationale their company has gone all along. Like seriously? Comes November; when Miami Book Fair has way passed, I never received that photo documentation or any sort of reports informing me of how did the event go. Not even getting those copies of promised marketing materials. Now, what's even more ridiculous, this idiot called by towards the end of November saying I was enlisted for the event in Arizona and Los Angeles- which means another investment of $1, 500 for these events. So I was like, what's going on with you people? Are you guys for real?

A good friend of mine; who is also an author from Charlotte North Carolina happened to have worked with these crooks last year. That friend sent me some articles online uncovering the true colors of these bandits. I know that conducting a thorough investigation for Westwood is what I should've done. I felt I was being deliberately conned, and trying to get my fee back financially is something I don't think I deserved. I can't believe they are still in operations and are still able to prey money to self-published authors. Ruffling authors feathers and hitting their precise egos are some of the tactics they're doing. I was wondering what BBB had thought of doing to suss them out and persecute.

If you do get calls from this company, Westwood Books Publishing; professing to have operated in Los Angeles, let this message of mine to sound you an alarm. They are nothing but a clone. I still thank and appreciate that God showed me a blessing out from such hard breaking experience. I have learned my lesson. Spending my precious time on the phone with self-publishing companies is definitely what I would not do ever again.

Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am EDT
Replying to comment of Sweet Mom

Do you know any honest lawyer?

There are many complaints about them we should unite and do something...

They can cheat others easily ... We should protect Innocent Authors from them ...

I am a human rights advocate and have many beautiful poems in "Sylva's 1000 Poems",

my new book which I gave the PDF to this scam publisher called West\wood.

Apr 05, 2019 7:12 am EDT

I have paid $ 38, 000 to a publisher and they have not given me any payment for my sales for 3 years this company is called. XLIBRES

P
Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am EDT

Sorry to hear this. Ive heard of this company. Con artists unfortunately. There are so many fake publishing companies around. It's disgraceful. I ended up self-publishing so I can now remain in control.

May 05, 2022 9:04 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I, too, paid XLIBRIS to publish my first book, a collection of poems. They had it priced so high, none of them sold in the 10 years or so it was available through them. I finally reclaimed all my files and "fired" them. I still haven't edited, reorganized, and reissued it but that's all on me.

N
May 13, 2022 12:35 pm EDT

Yes XLIBRIS also scammed me to republish my book, I paid the $500 for a package but they never did anything in return. They are big scammers from Philippines, be careful everyone about them!

Jul 28, 2022 6:24 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Stupid me brought a package off xlibris years ago long before I had much written down (big mistake on my part)

Since then they have on sold or passed along my details and I'm constantly getting emails from twits like Westwood about a book I've never written let alone published. There's a lot of companies that can't do basic research

Jul 29, 2022 10:31 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have published 13 books with Xlibris ... they are fast and honest ... You should pay extra for marketting

Recently I was scammed by Westwood Publishers ...I will go and publish by Xlibris my 1000 poems

Jul 29, 2022 10:49 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have published 13 books with Xlibris ...

I had no problems...

Maybe they are not the same Xlibris ...