WalgreensImproper conduct of employee during pandemic

B Apr 10, 2020

I had to pick up hearing aid batteries on april 6th, this is my closest walgreens. The cashier wasn't wearing a mask. They have tape on the floor for distancing. All customers were wearing masks, including myself. Someone was leaving the store in a full hazmat suit when I went in. I asked the cashier why he wasn't wearing a mask from where I was standing in line 6 feet away. He answered "it's not airborne". I told him "it's absolutely airborne". Then he said "i'd rather save a mask for the health care workers". I said "I made my own". Three weeks before he had told me how it's not a big deal and people were still going to the beach (this is florida). The beaches were shut down a couple of days after this incident. Now this guy is telling people that it's not airborne and is still not wearing a mask. I put my cash on the counter, stepped back, told him to put the change in the bag and step back so I can grab the bag. I was very upset.
It gets worse. I ended up calling his supervisor. His supervisor apologized and said he would tell him to keep his opinions to himself. And that they would get masks later that week. At walgreens? They should have had them a long time ago. I told the supervisor to educate the guy on what's real, and he basically shrugged that off because "those are his opinions". I am still livid. They can't educate their employees? Neither of these people have any business working at a pharmacy.

• Be
    belowww Apr 10, 2020

They obviously ran out as stated

JoranL. Aug 14, 2020

Until is was completely mandated, through local or state law, Waglreens encourged staff to wear masks, but could not enforce the policy until masks were available for them to wear. There was a huge delay because there were shortages due to first responders needing them over retail workers. Even after masks were available, employees could get an exemption for health reasons with a doctors note. This situation sounds like this was before they were made available to employees to wear though.