Sprint / Nextelnot an equal opportunity employer

I like so many americans have been affected by the growing unemployment rate, I have been unemployed for over a year now and have been searching daily as well as working temp assignments here and there and we all know the temp world. I numerous of times have been to the Sprint Careers website and have applied for several Retail Sales Position and only received one call back and interviewed...Interview went well very impressed with my work history... up until the question "Do you speak any other languages besides english?" I innocently laughed and replied "Unfortunately no" and on that note the interview was brought to an end and I was told I would be be contacted at the beginning of the next week. Days went by and no phone call, not so much as a email regarding the position...I took it upon myself to call the store to speak to the person I interviewed with and was left on hold for over 10mins, and eventually hung up on...I called back and was rudely ask what was the nature of my call and then put on hold for another 7 mins, then someone (not the person whom I interviewed with or asked to speak to) picks up the line and says quickly "Position has already been filled...Thanks for applying and keep checking the website from time to time". So sometime later I did some further investigating by going up to the store (Torrence, California) inquired about whom may have filled the position, an employee pointed out a spanish young lady, needless to say I was highly upset!! Not at the fact that she was spanish or a female, but the fact that the store is majority employed by Spanish decent and spanish speaking...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that...But I was not convinced as to why the store needed another Spanish speaking employee. This same situation has happen again except I wasn't selected to interview at the Culver City store because I failed to read that the position was seeking (Spanish Speaking) AS IF THEY REALLY NEED ANOTHER SPANISH SPEAKING EMPLOYEE!!! Once again this store is majority employed by Spanish decent/Spanish Speaking... this doesnt sound nor look like EQUAL OPPORTUNITY...looks to me like companys are now hiding behind the -Job Description- "Bilingual/Spanish Speaking" to only hire individuals who are Spanish Decent or Spanish Speaking. SPRINT/NEXTEL (NOT!!! an equal opportunity employer)

• So
    South Knox Apr 22, 2010

I have been going through this in South Texas. At least half of the jobs I am applying for in San Antonio are bilingual required or preferred. Why do I have learn another countries language in my own country? I am from East Tennessee so the only time I've even heard Spanish is on TV. This is definitely a case of a white guy being discriminated against in a latino part of the country.