Great Expectations Complaints & Reviews

Great ExpectationsFALSE ADVERTISING/FRAUD

If you have been scammed by John Meriggi's company Great Expectations I urge you to file a complaint with the FTC, your state Attorney General, the BBB, and your local news station investigative reporters. You should also file a dispute with your credit card company if you paid for their fraudulent services on a credit card.

Great Expectations Scammed me out of $6450 and I know they are scamming thousands of other Americans. We need to stop them!

If you have been scammed take action right now by filing complaints with these authorities below.

If you are from Ohio you can file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General here: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/consumercomplaint.aspx

If you are outside of Ohio do a google search for ("your state" attorney general) and you should be able to find your state attorney general website. You can file a complaint through there.

To file a complaint with the FTC go to: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

To file a complaint with the BBB go to: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

You can also file a complaint here: http://www.stopfraud.gov/report.html

If you have been scammed by this company I strongly urge you to file complaints through all the websites above.

If you paid for their fraudulent services by credit card I suggest you call your credit card company and file a dispute. You may be able to get your money back. Make sure to provide your credit card company with a list of all the complaints against this company along with referencing the lawsuit by the Arizona Attorney General against the company.

If you paid by check I suggest you find out what bank they deposited the check into and write a letter to their bank informing their bank that they are helping to facilitate fraud by allowing this company to bank with them.

The owner of the company is a guy named John Meriggi. He is the mastermind behind everything. If you have been scammed by John Meriggi and his company Great Expectations and you want to call his office to speak with him you can call [protected].

If you want to write John a letter and let him know how his company has harmed you. Write him a letter and send it to his office at: John Meriggi 14180 Dallas Parkway, Suite 210 Dallas, TX 75254.

This company targets seniors who are in an emotional state and uses high pressure sales tactics to sell their fraudulent dating services. There are hundreds if not thousands of complaints about this company and their bad business practices.

Several years ago Great Expectations had to pay $500, 000 to the Arizona Attorney General. However this is a drop in the bucket for them because they are defrauding people like us out of millions of dollars.

See here: https://www.azag.gov/press-release/terry-goddard-announces-500000-settlement-scottsdale-dating-service

We need to stop them! You can help stop them by filing complaints with all the authorities listed.

They are defrauding consumers out of their retirement and life savings.

I tried to resolve the issue I had directly with the company, I even hired an attorney who contacted the company on my behalf. They told my attorney "we have a signed contract" and basically to go take a hike.

They were not willing to issue a refund even though their services were not as advertised.

They had a high pressure sales person who basically forced me into signing the contract and promised me the world only to not deliver. False advertising.

This company has been defrauding consumers for years and I ask you to please help stop them. They are going to continue targeting emotional seniors like you and I and stealing money from us.

This is not a good company and they need to be stopped. It's going to take all of us standing up against them and filing complaints with our State Attorney General and the FTC. These are the two government agencies that actually have the power to stop them.

I received a call from this company after filling out an online form. The sales representative asked me to come into their office for an interview.

The first thing they did was ask for my drivers license, social security number, and credit card. They said they needed this to "verify" who I was.

I came to find out they used this information against me by running a credit check to see how much available credit I had.

Then after their high pressure sales tactics they presented me with a package that cost the same amount as I had in available credit. I later found out that they sold other people the exact same thing for far less money and others even more.

They charged me $6450 for basically nothing more than access to a dating website. They promise you all kinds of things in person during their sales pitch. After I paid this amount they told me that if I wanted to send a message to anyone on the site I needed to pay an extra $400. I assumed sending a message to someone on a dating website was included as it would be with any other legitimate service.

This company finds out how much you have available on your credit cards and then charges you that much.

I was deceived into signing their contract and signing up for their services which are not as advertised. When I tried to get a refund they told me you only have 3 days to get a refund and that I signed the contract. I only signed the contract because of their high pressure sales tactics. They refused to issue a refund.

I paid $6450 split up on 2 credit cards and paid the rest with a check (money I had been saving for retirement). I have already issued a dispute with my credit card companies for the amount paid on the two cards.

We need to stop this company from scamming other hard working people. If you have been scammed by John Meriggi and his company Great Expectations I urge you to file complaints right now with your state Attorney General and the FTC. The only way to stop this company from scamming others is to take action.

Great ExpectationsVERY slated and shady sales tactics!

This service isn't a Great Expectation, as it tries to sell you their polished, professional services for a high ticket price; however, the price "miraculously" becomes lower after you decline their services, until they can offer you a deal that you shouldn't refuse! Only to falsely promise a website that is short of being useful for the "costly" services that they provide. A person with basic computer programming skills can make the adjustments that are required for tweaking their program -- that ends up wasting your time to invest costly hours to do a simple search. A majority of their website profiles are comprised of "inactive" members. When complaints were escalated to their upper management, they claim that they have no control over the filters that are in place on their website. However, they have no difficulty in filtering out ages, locations, smokers, and even those who visit your city. How ironic!! They use their fluffed catalog of potential prospects to intice you into buying their services for an elite group of individuals. VERY slated and shady sales tactics!! A HUGE disappointment and a waste of $2600 (which actually started out at a whopping $6300)!!

Annie12345 Jan 25, 2011

I am interested in professional men in a similar lifestyle as my own. After communicating this to GE they showed me many pictures of Doctors, Lawyers, etc. -all professionals. After I signed up none of the men shown to me were active with most of the members being truck drivers, construction workers and possibly some of the cast members of Deliverance. What a waste. The web site and service is a joke!

chiaki58 Jan 11, 2012

I wasted my money $1400 and gained nothing. I tried to cancel after one month and was too late to cancel it and requested my card company to dispute and they told me nothing they can do about it. And guess what they tried to collect monthly membership from me after I requested and confirmed my cancellation . What a joke. I still want to get refund from this fake business.
    Their office is Schaumburg, Illionis. I am thinking we should still collect the refund from them. If you want to, contact me.
    [email protected] com My name is Kate.

Thank you.

Great ExpectationsFraudulent services and practices

Great Expectations, AKA GE, comes with high prices and even higher promises. Their sales tactics are pushier and more intimidating, more hardcore, more devious than buying a car. Promises of screened candidates, and the security of background checks, and having a bank of common women interested in dating without effort sounds wonderful...But is it? No. First of all, they let anyone in that has over $3500, always haggling about the membership price. They claim they can get you a "zero balance transfer credit card" to transer the balance off the card you use to pay for it. And, if you don't get the transferred balance paid off in a year, simply "call us" and we'll get you another card. Guess what? The new zero card comes with a $500 limit, clearly not enough to pay off the balance. They offer the service, they know it's through Citi, yet they "don't know" the credit limit won't cover the balance.

The profiles are frauds...seems like almost every woman from my area was "inactive". Not surprising. They also allow you to have crossover access to members in other cities...yeah like I'm in Columbus, Ohio and will really date some looker (or anyone) from Raleigh, NC.

I'm still working on getting my money back from this fraudulent group. STAY AWAY FROM GREAT EXPECTATONS AT ALL COSTS!!

Great ExpectationsUnethical as they come

Great Expectations of Scottsdale is the absolute worst company I have ever encountered. They did the 'hard sell' to me also, took my license and my credit card at the beginning of the meeting, ran my credit without my authority and kept me 'on the hook' for nearly 3 hours. I felt the ONLY way to get out of this place was to sign the contract as Geri kept telling me I had 3 days to cancel my membership if I changed my mind.

I signed, left and called Geri the next day and of course no answer. Finally on the 3rd day I got her on the phone and she told me 'no problem' and to just drop off a letter stating I wanted to cancel membership. I did exactly that..left it with the receptionist and got the heck out of there as I knew they would try and get me into a room again and try to get me to reconsider. I never stepped back into that place after that.

Now, it's 2 years later and they have collections coming after me for nearly $2, 000. When I called to talk about it and let them know I did in fact call AND drop a letter off at their offices (as told to do), I'm told by the manager 'Ashly' that I needed to have the letter signed and dated. WHAT? Uh...no..I didn't. That is not what I was told and that is no what the contract says.

I did everything by the book and this company is still trying to collect the $2, 000. I will not let this go. They have been sued by the Attorney General here and had to pay $500k as a settlement. I will fight this to the end. I will be contacting the AG, BBB, the local TV station, newspapers, etc. I am done being taken advantage off. This company needs to be stopped.

Run far away if you are considering this company..they will make their own rules and take advantage of people, I'm amazed that these people can actually sleep at night. Wow.

Great ExpectationsFRaudelent Practices

I was looking at a variety of dating services, I have done the online thing and found little satisfaction, I decided to interview several and among them was Great Expectations, wow! Geri was warm and friendly, immediately brought me into the little room, started to talk to me, then the usual, pulls out some guys that she thinks ar e a great fit. NO! YUCK, there was one who was ok, he is on Match so why he is here, who knows. She come back we talk more, she keeps leaving me, then the pressure starts, offers me the pricing, I know the game so I want to see where she will go, which in th eend is 1795.00 vs the 8000 she started with. Kept going to talk to her manager, really, like I beleive that. SHe go annoyed when I said no, and kept sitting, I finally stood up and got my bag, she stayed sitting, these prices are only good today BS, yeah right, hardcore, high pressure approach they have a rep for. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY< google online great expectations complaints and you will get an earful. Lots of the same stuff, across the country, they are all numbers, no real matches. I finally got out of there and she was ### once she knew she did not sell me. TACKY> GLad I didn't fall for it and I hope you don't either, hoppe this helps.

• Ph
    PhoenixGuy1984 Mar 19, 2011

THIS EXACT STORY HAPPENED TO ME ABOUT A YEAR AGO!!! Even the prices you said were identical. I'm a 26 year old attorney so I assume they tried to use that to rope me in with the $8000 price with a bunch of women that were probably inactive.

"SHe go annoyed when I said no, and kept sitting, I finally stood up and got my bag, she stayed sitting, these prices are only good today BS, yeah right, hardcore, high pressure approach they have a rep for."

Yep, same thing with me. "This is so unfortunate, you sound like you'd be a great catch with your career" Hahah. Wow. Kudos to you for getting up and leaving at $1795 like I did :)

Great ExpectationsI made the huge mistake of submitting my personal information to this company

I made the huge mistake of submitting my personal information to this company back when I was still on the market. Despite repeated requests to get off their call list, they continue to call me almost daily. Apparently they think they can harass consumers into using their service. I am filing a complaint with the FCC since I asked them to remove me from their call list. This place is a joke. If you want an eye-opening experience about how they do business, Google " Great Expectations complaints." The only thing I don't understand is why the Attorney General allows them to stay in business.

Great Expectationsfraud/ disceptive business practices

I responded to a dating service, named Great Expectations, add online by phone and spoke to Hiede.. I was told that pricing was not available and I need to make an appointment. On january 2 2010 I had an appointment with a Elaina Mcmillan at 12:30 pm, a representative of Great Expectations. At the beginning of the interview She ask a lot of personal questions and knew that I was “down and out” (depressed). She then proceeded to tell me about the program and how the website works, including about members who are inactive . Their profiles are there, but you cannot correspond because they “ freeze” their account.. You can freeze your profile in order to save time on your membership while you date a fellow member. During the conversation I wanted to know how many members are enrolled and she said 1800 members. And so I ask, what is the ratio of members that are male to female. She responded to “about 50-50”. And my next question to her was “ what is the ratio of ladies that are in my age pool to choose from? Her response was “25% of the membership” . I responded “then that is 450 “.( 25% of 1800 ) She paused and then said” yes that is correct . you know your math” . I said that i am good at math. I concluded that the other half of the ladies must be older then 40 and younger then 30. The price of membership I felt is extravagant and I thought there can’t be many under 30. So the ratios seemed about right at 450 in the age bracket we discussed . She proceeded to tell me the program packages and told me that if I leave without signing a contract and come back, that the $1000 discount is not available. Hence, high pressure sales. With the pressure on hand and depressed, I felt that this could help me . Especially that the numbers she gave me, I felt I should have ample supply to choose from. So base on that, I signed the contract. She also informed me that you need to make an appointment with the photographer. And Also I would not be able to use the web site until the photos and video are completed. The photographer name is Mintah. I do not know her last name..So i made the earliest appointment available . That appointment was 1/6/10 at 11:15am.. After the contract was signed, then the appointment was made for the photoshoot . 4 days later after the contract was sign. She(Elaine) then gave me paperwork for the photographer with additional information that included the options you can upgrade on the site page.. Which she did not mention to me.. These upgrades are useful tools to respond to and to be more personable. These options were not discuss with me and Elaina . I made the appointment on time for the photoshoot. After the photo shoot and video, Mintah explained that these options are being used by “ almost all members have it “and the pressure to want to be able to have equal opportunity as the others. I signed for it, not realizing this is typically the same option you get for free in the online dating sites . When Mintah said goodbye, I was then given many pages of paperwork that was an orientation .This orientatione should had been given to me when I walked in. This orientation paperwork showed everything you need to know about the service site. I thought why was I given this now? I left there @ 2:40 PM unsure now what i had done.. I went to work for the rest of the day and after I got home, I went to the site to search for the ladies in my age bracket (30-40 years of age) with no breakdown of options. After exhausting my search including inactive members, I thought there should have been more to see. I then proceded to count the number of profiles in my search bracket and found 221 profiles. I was shocked. I started too feel I was deceived . I did not sleep well and awoke the next morning ( 1/7/10) to want to recount and I found the same results . I went to work and Could not work effectively and I made some calls and went home to resolve the situation. I called the credit card company and told me I need to talk to great expectations first before I make a dispute of charges. I called @ 4:30 pm and asked for a representative and I talked to Hiede and told the whole story to her and she said that I must talk to DeeDee the head Director. I called again at 6:30 pm and ask for DeeDee and found out she is still in a interview. So I left a message on her voicemail, The at 7:00 pm I called again and got in touch and discussed the whole story again. She the told me that the numbers were correct but that must included male and females I said why would I want males included, she said that was part of your question . I said you are twisting my question. I was specific when I ask for % of ladies. She was talking to me as though she was in the room with Elaina. She hasn’t even talked to Elaina yet. She also said that Elaina is not good in math. I said, that she should have gotten advise before she aknowlages 450 ladies to me, if she is not good in math. I also complained that the options they sold me on the photoshoot day was never discussed by Elaina or any other staff member. Though they gave me photoshoot orientation paperwork which did mention about options on the web site. But not in detail and by then the contract and payment had been completed. Dee Dee offered me to drop the options charges of $1529.00, during this phone conversation, and I said yes. DeeDee then told me that she is calling Elaina after the call and wanted to have a 3 way conversation with Elaina and me tomorrow 1/8/10 and she let me know when. As of now at12:30pm 1/8/10 she has not called me. Elaina sold me this service without informing me about other upgrades that are very useful tools that “almost everyone has it”. She withheld information. And misinformed me about my search criteria. I could not dispute this case any earlier then I have. I did not wait around or let any time go by to respond to this matter. I was contacted by E-mail by the director on Friday the 8th to let me know that Elaina wasn’t available till Monday the 11th. To have a conversation. They delayed this situation. They are open on Saturday as well.? I had now retained an attorney on Friday and he advised me to take notes when we have this 3-way conversation. DeeDee asked me is 12:30 pm on Monday the 11th . I said yes, I stopped working and waited and then they called me at 3:00 pm. Very inconsiderate. Delay after delay. They do not consider this as an important matter. I taped recorded the conversation and written it down for my attorney.( ATTACHED LETTER) In the conversation they denied any wrong doing and also was twisting my words. I then ask about the options charge being taken off. Dee Dee said, ”I said no”, that iwas willing to discuss this with Elaina. Another made up lie. I then started research on the internet and was not surprised to find repeated bad business practices across the U.S. Including the denver branch and Attorney general of Arizona which took them to court and settled for $500, 000. As of 1.5 year ago. This company ask for a background check and credit check on me and I realized they use my credit check to see what kind of money I have or credit power. Then they charge what they feel they can get out of me. Being in that mental state, they took advantage of me. They obviously don’ t want to return my money base they get paid by commission. Though they say they want to help me.? Here is the phone conversation below. . Phone conversation of Steven Vey (S) with Great Expectations on Monday January 11, 2010
Head Director name is Didi Hirsch (D)
My Sales Rep's name is Elaina McMillan (E)
This is a phone call back to resolve 1. Why wasn’t my options charge retracted like she offered on Thursday (1/7/10, phone call.) 2. Why Elaina give me incorrect information, also, not inform me about the whole program or not giving orientation literature until after the contract was signed. 3 To retract all charges in full. D - Elaina did not quote any numbers
S - She is not telling the truth, the number came up after my question, out of 1800 members what is the percentage of women in the membership that is in my search group? She said 25%. I responded with "450" and Elaina paused and said "yes." So we agreed that 450 women that I will be able to choose from in my search pool.
E – Says, now because my math is not my strong suit, I gave you some general statistics. Also she says when I gave you the math, it was correct and it's pretty accurate.
S - That's incorrect, on how we came to 450. You agreed to it, you confirmed that. That given, I figured that would be ample supply to choose from. Not even half that amount was in the website. So there was a number discussed (225 never was a figure discussed.)
E - Roughly 900 are women, I said I did not know for sure and that I was guessing.
S - No you did not say you were guessing.
D - She says again that she says that she was guessing 20-25%. Just so you would know there are 225 women.
S - That answer should have been 12% of 1800, my question was, out of 1800 what is the percentage of women I have in my pool to choose from? You said 25%, my response was "That's 450 women to choose from, is that right?" Elaina paused and said "Yes."
E - Do you remember anything of this conversation?
S - I do remember exactly what you said, and I don't make up anything.
E - No look, you need to calm down, your personality has changed drastically. I want to help you, you need to understand that I may have agreed to the number you came up with, I did not do the math, and I made a joke about my math skills, and so I trusted your math was right. Your math wasn't right.
S - My math is correct, 25% of 1800 equals 450. You agreed to 25% of the membership.
E - First of all, I did not say that with such conviction. What I actually said was only probably about 25%, so already your recollection is a little off.
S - No it's not, no way because I went home and had an immediate reaction. You misinformed me, misled me, and I feel deceived. There were many things you did not tell me about, V-Pops and V-Grams costing any extra money and did not get that info until after I signed the contract.
D - I told you this is not part of your membership. Something the photographer sells as an option.
S - That should have been revealed by you when I signed. You did not reveal that.
D - It's not a part of your membership.
S - You did not supply those options upfront.
D - It's an option, Steve.
S - I got the information when the photos were being completed.
D - We don't have to tell that information.
S - You don't have to?
D - No.
S - Those options are part of Great Expectations and you are all the same company. And you are not going to pawn this to somebody else within your company.
D - We were not withholding anything from you.
S - Yes, you did not tell me there were going to be any other costs involved.
D - You do not have to buy options.
S - If you are doing business properly, you could reveal all information instead of playing this game and being sneaky.
D - We have not deceived people before.
S - Yes you have, I have seen reports on you guys. (BBB)
D - No we have not.
S - Yes you have, the bottom line is that 450 is what you agreed with me and don't say it includes men.
D - No one lied.
S - Also I did not receive orientation paperwork until Wednesday 1/6/10 after the photo shoot.
D - You got it beforehand.
S - I got it after.
D - OK, alright.
S- On Thursday, 1/7/10 I called at 7PM (my third attempt) you twisted my words when I was explaining myself to you. Because you were defending Elaina, you hadn't even talked to her. So I waited Friday for you to call me like you said. Another thing you did not retract the charge for options like you offered. I said yes, and also retract my membership. So two things you said you would do and you didn't do it.
Three things I want to say, 1) I am disputing the charges with my credit card company. 2) I have retained an attorney to handle this matter. 3) Immediately cancel my membership and give me full credit back.
D - I can't do that, I am sorry.
S - You are scammers.
She hangs up.
I called up again and said "She should have asked fellow workmates about the figure we agreed on and you did offer to me to take the option charge off and you did not.
D - After I offered that to you, you said no, you wanted all the charges taken off, but I couldn't do that, and so we were going to have to have a conversation with Elaina. If you disputed the credit card charges, that is where you are going. I cannot retract any charges.
S – When you offered, I said YES, retract the charge and also the membership charge also. I never said no. You are making that up.( why would I say No? ) Also I was told by Minta (photographer) that "I won't be getting good responses without the options and almost everyone has it. It is an effective way to get the person you want, and people with it are going to be ahead of you if you don’t have it. " Why wasn't it brought up until then?
No answer, no response.
S - You got anything to say?
D - Nope.
She hangs up.
These two people in this conversation are obviously denying what they said to me in order keep my money. They have twisted my wording when I talk to them and cannot acknowledge they made mistakes . I ask them if they are perfect and never make a mistake ? And they did not respond. This company has made many poor business practices in the past, which you can find in the Denver BBB. Right there is one concrete lie.. Their policy says once you sign you cannot use the web site until photos are completed in house. I could not use the site until Wednesday night (1/6/10). The photographer is only available wed.- Saturday. I believe they will not make photo appointments until 3 business days or more, I would have disputed sooner, I did contact Bank of America ( dispute dept.)on That Thursday, But the charge ($1529.23 on 1/6/10)was still pending and I was advised to call the company and I did. That when she offered to retract that charge, and now she said, I said no??? Another lie. These people are doing this for money, not to help me get acquainted with a female. This is a company that should not exist and if this case sides on their behalf, they will continue these kind of practices. I could not address this matter any sooner then I have. How can I dispute when I cannot see what they sold me?

DanaN2011 Jun 15, 2011

Luz shipment information
    From: Great Expectation Customer Service <[email protected]>View Contact
    To: Daniela Cristina Necula <[email protected]>

For the woman who does not want cookie cutter clothing.

Dear Daniela,

Your order was shipped today via US International Priority Mail and, according to their computers, it should reach you late next week.

We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with our fine European clothing and are sure you will treasure it for years to come.

At Great Expectation, we take pride in customer service. A satisfied customer is our best advertisement, so we encourage you to give us comments. If there is ever anything we may help you with, we hope you will let us know.

If you have any questions or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest regards,

Cynthia Miller

Today's Clothing

dba Great Expectation

203 483-0700

Can you tell me if is a spam and fraudulent site? I paid with two credit cards for two dresses on this site, I have no traking number, but on my cards money was shipped from 2.06.2011.

DanaN2011 Jun 17, 2011

Sorry, lately, I received my package shipped with great expectation.biz. Thank's for understanding my mistake.

DanaN2011 Oct 20, 2011

Your privacy is important to us, so ComplaintsBoard.com (the "Site") has created this Privacy Policy to explain how your information is protected, collected and used. This Privacy Policy may be updated from time to time. You can always review the most current version here. By using the Site, you consent to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Policy and are aware that our policies may evolve in the future. If there is a conflict between our Terms of Use governing your use of the Site and this Privacy Policy, the Terms of Use control

My e-mail adress is appear on virtual space...please, delete my acount from this data base!

Great ExpectationsBeware, no refund

During the initial interview (12/22/07) process I was presented w/ membership prices starting @ $6000 min. differing by $500. While viewing what I thought was a very expensive complete pkg. for $6995 Stefanie Hogan swiped my credit card for $7400. At that time I inquired about the refund policy should I change my mind by the time I got home. Stefanie then told me that there was absolutely no refund policy. While I was bothered I felt trapped. Unable to view the membership database until after photos were taken the next week, I was disappointed to find:

1. Copies of the photos were an additional fee
2. An outdated web interface with little search capabilities
3. 40% of the database included inactive members and

4. Very few African American clients.

My disappointment lead me to search the web for complaints. To my surprise there are at least 58 printable pages of complaints about Great Expectations . It was here that I also discovered that I had been charged more than twice what others have paid for the same membership. GE will not deny that I have paid more than others for the same membership and has not offered any reason as to why I was targeted for this amount. As I understand it, contract fees are determined based on the amount of available credit each individual has. I feel deceived and no longer want to participate in the Great Expectations Dating Service. I have not gone on a single date with any member of GE and have no intention of doing so. Essentially, GE has provided nothing but unnecessary credit card debt. The GE contract allows them to charge consumers who never use the service without any means of cancellation. In addition to filing a complaint with the Dallas BBB, I have repeatedly asked for a refund via email only to be refused.

Chill1953 Jul 04, 2013

Wish we could get a class action going in Georgia. Still checking for actions being taken in my state.

Great Expectationsfalse claims of match/dating

I signed up for Great Expectations in early March 2009. In my interview they showed me profiles of perspective males in my age range. I was given a break on enrollment if I paid up front using my credit card. I was then given a time to come back in to have my photo and video shoot. After my video shoot I was told that to get my photo ready for my profile that there was an additional fee. After my profile was posted that night I began my search and sent out about 5 invitations . I waited about a week and got 2 negative responses. I sent out 4 more invitations and got more negative responses. While others still have yet to respond. It has been more than a month and not one positive response. I have gone on to other FREE websites and used the same photos with emmediate response and have even met a few men. I know there are no guarantees in dating but there should be some sort of recourse when you don't get what you pay for. These companies are taking advantage of people and need to be stopped!!! If you know of anyone who is thinking about joining this group please tell them to do some research first. I know there are lawsuits in several states against Great Expectations. I'm not sure there are any favorable outcomes for clients of Great Expectations but if we can prevent anyone else from being taken maybe that's the best we can hope for.

• Po
    Poorer but Wiser Jun 16, 2009

Total rip-off. I had a similar experience at their Dallas location. Showing me profiles of all these wonderful men to entice me into signing on the dotted line, only to get negative response after negative response to my invitations once I had paid in full and had my profile posted. I am a very attractive and successful woman and had more dates than I could handle on match.com and yahoo personals but was looking for a more professional, successful and serious minded person to build a long lasting relationship with. Two of the three gentlemen I went out with (and I use that term loosely) were alcoholics and the third was an ego maniac that I don't feel was honestly looking for a long term relationship. I wish I had done some research before my interview so I would not have been so gullible to their sales tactics. Unfortunately we often have to learn the hard way.

Great Expectations — Fraudulent Company Stealing Money from Innocent Singles!

In September 2017, I attended an informational session at Great Expectations, a local dating service, to...

Great ExpectationsUnauthorized charges

In September 2008, I attended an informational session at Great Expectations, a local dating service, to learn about their organization. After 3 hours of a sales lady speaking to me about how wonderful this program is and a very strong sales pitch, I told them there was no way I could afford their $7000 fee. The sales woman left to “talk to her manager" and came back to tell me she could lower my rate to $3500.

I told them that I still could not afford the $3500 since I was a graduate student with no income other than student loans. When I left I had not given them any authorization to charge my credit card and had not signed the contract. When I went on-line to check my credit card account to the card that I used for ID purposes only, I found that they had already charged me $3500.

When I called and told them I had decided that I was not joining, they said that there was no refund. When confronted about the unsigned contract, they told me that it didn't matter, there were no refunds. I don't know how I can be charged 3500$ to my credit card without signing a contract. I haven't used any of their services and have fought with my credit card company and am getting nowhere.

I am interested in trying to start a class action lawsuit against the Fort Mill and/or Charlotte locations. If you'd be interested in joining, please send your story to GEcomplaints at gmail dot com and include your story, what extents you've gone to get resolve your dispute and contact information. Thanks so much!

• Co
    Connie Clawson Jan 25, 2009

Hello, the same thing happened to me that all these others have complained about with GE..the high pressure sales pitch..the charging a credit card and not being able to cancel this..and I also lost thousands of dollars to this scam...I would be willing to stand with you to close this place down...

Connie Clawson
    Clover, SC

• Up
    Upset User Jul 07, 2009

My dispute with Great Expectations of Fort Mill, SC has been resolved and that GE and I have reached a mutually agreeable settlement that does not constitute an admission of wrongdoing on GE's part.

Great ExpectationsFraud and scam

I was given 3 days to decide if I wanted to keep the dating service, nothing was done with it. I still haven't done a thing with the service, they moved from downtown Chicago to Shaumberg even though I signed up for having access to Chicago. It's a 15 minutes train ride instead of 2 hours since I live in the city. This is fine to them and then they want me to pay for the service and I can't change my mind now as far as they're concerned since I was told by Jessica that they are a business and personal problems aren't their problem. I have never dealt with any business ever that operates that way. I was in a car accident last weekend and I need the money. I haven't used the service at all in any, way, shape or form and they won't refund my money. I want my money back since I signed up for a Chicago location that no longer exists, they knew of this move before I signed up since no one moves a business in a couple of days from the middle of the city to a suburb. This is false advertising and poor delivery of a poor product. All I have are words telling me of things that will happen, how can judge whether or not the service is worth anything without anything happening. They're holding me to letting so I shall do the same since they're not reasonable at all and are just here to hustle money or else they would be much more customer oriented.

They only use business and customer orientation when it's convenient which doesn't fly in my book as I don't operate that way nor have I ever. I signed up for a Chicago location to meet people in Chicago with events at their office located in Chicago, 15 minutes away. Now I have to travel 2 hours away to have my pictures and video taken and events at their location since it will be gone. Any time I have an issue I have to travel 2 hours if I can't reach them by phone and they want me to come in. They said they have excellent customer service... huh? I haven't even done anything with them and they're service is the worst I've experienced and seen. Instead of being able to use my bus pass to access events at their Chicago location and customer service, I have to spent money out of my pocket to travel 26 miles away. If they weren't hustling people then they wouldn't be so stiff and they wouldn't need a contract. They came up with lame reasons for the contract as I even gave them a way to do it without the contract and they said that it wouldn't work but without any logical backup since I caught her in her own BS.

I want my money back as I have used nothing of the service. The only thing I have received is lies, BS and poor service. I shouldn't have to pay for something that was known to be changing and isn't the same as what I had paid for in the agreement. Nothing was told to me about the move before signing the contract. I only received a call when I had to reschedule my photos and video because of the accident that I had to schedule with the Schaumberg office since the Chicago branch was closing. Why should I be held accountable for a business relationship agreement that has changed from what my understanding was when it was signed. This would be considered fraud if I'm not mistaken. Let me know if you have any questions as they were defensive when hearing about my request and not very friendly. She then asked how my weekend went after that so that she can make it look like she cares and I'm just being unreasonable which isn't the case.

I'm truly offended by this treatment and can't believe how she is nice one moment and then mean the next when the money is spoken of. Being defensive about it shows something is up here. I know they work on commission so she doesn't want to use it. She doesn't care if I'm happy with the service until it is a benefit for her. This is ridiculous and I would like to step away as I stepped into this mess and forget that it happened, thank you.

Dallas Resident Dec 09, 2009

My complaint reflects Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard's lawsuit against GE, "Unlawfully obtaining consumers' credit information as soon as they arrived at the Great Expectations office to meet with a representative, before they received a sales presentation or agreed to purchase a membership." See http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/06/az_ge.html

Great Expectations, Dallas office, requested my social security # & bank name on the pre-interview form. During the interview I provided 2 forms of ID (driver's license & credit card), the interviewer left the room. During the interview she commented on my lack of debt on my credit card, which was a bit spooky. After an otherwise professional interview and my decline to participate at $6995 + $295 for photos, I was quickly shown the way out. They kept my pre-interview form containing my social security #, bank name, and other information that might be used for identity theft!

The more I thought about it the more I realized it was a mistake to give my SS# & credit card before any agreement to participate.

After reading the multiple complaints of fruad and scams concering Great Expectations, I've put a Fruad Alert on my SS# at the 3 credit bureaus, requested a new credit card, and added a password to my credit card.

I'm also sending Great Expecations a certified letter stating my decline of their services, requesting that all my personal information be shredded, and requesting a written letter of confirmation that they have destroyed and not shared my personal information.

Here's another link to multiple complaints about Great Expectations

• Sm
    SMPATES Apr 18, 2011

If anyone currently has complaints of coercive sales tactics, misrepresentations & deceptive practices with the Great Expectation Dating Service in Scottsdale AZ. -------

Please email your concerns to [email protected] Let me know if you would like to be part of a class action law suit filed with the office of the AZ AG?

Thank you.

• Mi
    mitch987 Jul 17, 2014

I just got off phone with lawyer. He said I owe $1800 they will settle for $900 . If I don't settle by Monday. Ge will sue me for$1800 plus addadditional courtcourt costcost of $2000 so $3800 total . What should I do ? I canclecanceled 2 ddays aafter and callcalled in to cancel I did not know I had to mail a letter . Help please I'm in illIllinois [email protected] is my email

Great ExpectationsWorst company ever

No company I've ever encountered, except Great Expectations Dating Service, refuses to give a refund when they have not begun to provide anything to the customer. David Margolis owner, Sheryel Ashcroft Director, refuse to let you cancel membership in Great Expectations unless you sue them, and sue American Express for paying them. A Confirmed medical Disability is G/E's only unconditional excuse for cancellation.

The Social Security Administration has declared me disabled for 15 consecutive years. Their report states I have a severely deformed back that would require surgery if I were younger. I am 'advised by them' not to sit or stand more than two hours or lift more than 20 pounds. I was also medically advised to swim, ride a bike, and walk to maintain my muscles. I am legally able to run a business and earn a substantial income, provided I am not performing labor more than 20 hours a week.

G/E Owner, Mr. Wiseass Margolis, said due to my interests (cycling, walking, swimming and gardening) and the fact that G/E was able to detain me for 3 hours (without me writhing in pain), and that I own a business, he doesn't agree that I'm disabled. HE IS A 'MEDICAL JUDGE' FOLKS! A MEDICAL QUACK!

I emailed my cancellation within the ridiculous 3 day time limit. When I got no response to the email I realized it may have gone astray and I promptly called to G/E to cancel. Director Ashcroft wasn't available. She called me back days later and said 'return the materials with your original cancellation letter and come in with $500.00 and we'll refund $4, 419.00 to your American Express card.'

I refused to pay $500.00 for 'nothing but their 3-hour sales pitch.' But G/E won't stop billing my American Express card for $4, 419.00. They keep arguing with American Express. I canceled in Jan.08. They said they consider me an active member as of Aug.14, 08 having provided me with NO MEMBER SERVICES! G/E says I can be considered an active member for 36 months. (My fiance' doesn't agree). Then A/E asks me for additional information. Now I will send A/E (and the BBB who did nothing), a printout of all these complaints against this UNETHICAL PRACTIONER, this fraudulent dating service.

P.S. I met my soulmate at last on a FREE dating service Plentyoffish.com. We're getting married in 2 months. I came close at Match.com and Jdate. All others are worthless.

• Hu
    Huey Jan 26, 2009

Great Expectations is truly a waste of money. I joined in Indianapolis a few years ago for $4, 400 for a 3 year membership, which they indicated was a discounted membership fee. I was told they had a lot of members that would be interested in a guy like me. I asked if they would allow me to tour the library of members, but they said not until I become a member. They showed me a sample of very attractive members (which I don't truly feel they were actually members, rather paid models). The saleswomen was a very attractive person, who said she was a successful member. She was very agressive, as she even indicated they could help me find financing to pay for the membership (felt like I was buying a car). After signing up, I regreted it and tried to cancel my membership within 24 hours. The office declined. After awhile, I decided since I wasn't getting my money back, I would give it a try. I went to the library and searched female members from A to Z. It took a few hours, but I made it through. There were approximately 15 individuals that met my criteria, however none of them were interested in an Asian male in his early 30's, which a young child. Over three years have past and my membership did not result in a single date. They claim it is because I was not active in all their get togethers, which I must add, costs additional money. Overall, I had a very bad experience and would not recommend even wasting your time meeting with the Company. The employees appear to be high school grads or college grads with a degree that doesn't allow them to get a decent paying job. It is usually women employees who thing they are cupid. The world would be a better place if the Company went bankrupt and disappeared forever. STAY AWAY and don't consider wasting money here. In simpliest terms, this is like an ex spouse. They take your money, without giving you anything in return. I can't compare it to cheap stores like Goodwill or Wal-Mart, as Goodwill and Wal-Mart allow you to get a refund. Obama should sign a law that prevents dating services to scam hard working individuals out of hard earned money, that are trying to find love.

• Hu
    Huey Jan 26, 2009

I felt like I was the only one ripped off/victimized. Refer to website:

/URL removed/

You are not alone.

• Sm
    Small Business Consultant Mar 24, 2012

I was a member of Great Expectations thirty years ago, when the company was privately owned, based in Los Angeles, not a franchise, and when the owner's mother and sister were actively involved. Frankly, my experience with them -- unlike yours -- was truly wonderful. As a family operation, they actually cared about their members, and the owner's mother would try to fix people up herself, even though it was a video dating service. But since the company was sold, and it's now owned by a Fortune 500 company, if my memory serves me, and it's a franchise, it's unlikely that you're going to be able to get a refund from the franchisee. If I were you, I'd try to go on TV. Make it fun (for you) and awful (for them). Take them to small claim's court, where you can recover up to $5, 000, on Judge Judy. It's likely that rather than exposing themselves to her bad temper (I love her for that, and her wit), and all of the negative press that they'd get as a result, whether or not you won the case, in front of tens of millions of people on national TV, that they'd try to settle way before that happened.

Great ExpectationsDon't waste your money Charlotte Center

As wonderful as the idea of meeting the love of your life is, Great Expectations does have some great points and it also has some not so great points. Please don’t take this review as my bias opinion as to tell you what to do, but as any consumer should know; only you can make the best decision for yourself.

I worked for Great Expectations in the Charlotte Center in Fort Mill, SC for over 1 year. I was not fired. I got so fed up with their un-ethical practices that I decided to get up and walk out. Just imagine how tiring it is trying to entertain potential members in the waiting room when the director and some staff members are across the street getting drunk. Not only was it not fun to lie to the owner of the center (who has no idea what’s going on in his center) but it wasn’t fun lying to potential members stating the director is on a conference call.

The best thing about GE is the fact that they do run criminal background checks on everyone who joins. They will refuse a potential client if they have a felony. What they don’t tell you is, they’re not running them when you walk into the door, but they run it after they already have your money. GE is located in SC due to the fact there is no 3 day refund clause. Once you sign the contract, you’re liable for the money.

The Charlotte center is a little over 1 year old. They do have approx 2, 000 clients, however a little under 924 are active. They do keep expired members and members who fought to have their membership canceled still on the site but they list them as “inactive, please check again soon.”

Most of the members are average working men and women who live pay check to pay check, however they state these are all professional people. There are some who make a very nice living, but if I’m paying money for a service and I’m making six figures, I don’t think I’m going to want to date someone who dropped out of school and is barely making ends meat. Now not to say, he or she might not be a wonderful person or could be the love of my life, it’s just not fair. Everyday, someone calls to complain on the lack of quality singles and it's the member services team to lie and say, "well were always getting new members daily and some are on freeze and some are still waiting to have their pictures taken." We know perfectly well at the time you sign up, you're not going to find anyone that you want. We do have several really overly attractive male and female members and we make a point to only print out their pictures (some of these members have been expired) to show you the quality of the singles. What a load!

They typical price on the packages ranges in price from $4, 000 to $5490. There is also a monthly dues of $28 a month. With this you get to use the website, have a video done by the front office staff and professional photos. Right now the photographer is amazing and he is professional, but before he came, they just hired someone to take sub-standard pictures. If you want more than one picture, you will be charged hundreds to thousands of dollars. To upgrade to global (you can select and be seen by all the other members in the United States, approx 56 centers) is an additional cost. To have a V-Gram which is a little email with your picture on it is another few hundred dollars. By the time you leave you’re paying close to $10, 000. Now if you’re luck enough to meet your true love spending several thousand dollars isn’t going to bother you.

When you walk in, they give you a screener which asks for your personal information and some useless dating information. The only thing they’re after on that form is your social security number. They are not out to sell it, as a matter of fact all member files remain locked once you leave for the day, but they run your credit to see how much money they can get you for. If you though buying a car had some ruthless salespeople, try dealing with the Relationship Specialists. They feed on your emotional well being. Not everyone is even charged the same amount. They say the fee does depend on the length of your membership. That’s a crock. You can have 6 people with a 12 month membership and they all can be paying anywhere from $595 to $2950, depending on their credit and how much of a fight they put into the 2 hour interview. They asked this one man to cash in his CD to pay for his membership. Since he was going to have a penalty for early withdrawal, they told him they would give him 50% off of his membership. What a crock, regardless, they would have taken in hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Once you become a member, you are invited to join in the events they have. The events are not free. Even the staff that goes to the events has to pay (and they don’t get reimbursed). The events are fun, so that’s a plus. Aside from the background checks and the events, GE is no different than match.com, plenty of fish, perfect match and all the other online dating sites out there, aside from the amount of money they get from you.

You will stand a better chance using an online dating site.

On an end note. When the telemarketers call and hound you (and they will) tell them you turned gay or got married. If you tell them you’re in a relationship they will just call you back in a few months. We were all trained to tell you that you may have read bad reviews about Great Expectations and we’re told to say, “there have also been bad reports about Walmart, yet you probably still go there.” Go with your gut. Save yourself a lot of money and aggravation.

• As an employee at Great Expectations in Fort Mill, So. Carolina, I have very specific knowledge about the woman who filed the report entitled "Great Expectations Fraudulent Charges from Great Expectations Dating Service with no contract! AMAZING!".

Ms. Thomas came into our center on September, 10th, 2008. As is our usual procedure, she was asked to fill out a simple questionnaire and to show a driver's license and credit card so as to verify that she had 2 pieces of identification with her name on them. This is part-one of the screening processes that we do which every member is subjected to prior to being allowed to join.

We in Member Services are VERY careful to NEVER take the credit card or driver's license out-of-site from the potential member prior to the qualification interview. In fact, we only handle the credit card and driver’s license long enough to verify that their name, address and birth date correspond with the information that they put on their form. This process takes less than 30 seconds and then the credit card and ID are promptly returned.

Once it was determined that Ms. Thomas DID qualify as a potential member, she was presented with her membership options. We do refuse those whom we feel would not be of benefit to our other members based upon criminal history, psychological issues, or financial stability. This process is greatly appreciated by our members as they know that we check out each and every person who joins our service.

Ms. Thomas selected our premium membership and paid for it in-full at the time of the interview. She signed the credit card receipt and initialed the appropriate points in the contract which clearly states that there are no refunds. And as for the $7000 price quote? We have no idea whatsoever where she got that figure but she certainly didn’t get it from us. Not even our highest level of service is that much.

A few other things to think about in regards to this situation:

*Why would Ms. Thomas wait almost SIX MONTHS to report the alleged unauthorized charge on her credit card to the authorities? I know that if it had had been ME that is the FIRST thing I would have done…

* IF (as was alleged in the WB3 News segment that Ms. Thomas initiated) we had actually run her credit card without her knowledge and signed the receipt ourselves, then why didn’t we go ahead and sign the contract for her also? (We didn’t because we realize the importance of doing everything properly so as to avoid issues such as this).

* We are also aware that if we were to ‘run’ people’s credit cards without their authorization, we would risk having the credit card companies take away our ability to take credit cards, not to mention the even more personal risk of being arrested. No one has been arrested as a result of Ms. Thomas’ allegations and additionally, the credit card company, Department of Consumer Affairs, and the Better Business Bureau have ALL sided with us after review of the situation.

*Unfortunately, the many happy members that we have are far less vocal about how satisfied they are than the few who are not. Great Expectations is the world’s oldest and largest dating service for a reason.

Ms. Thomas was repeatedly offered a refund however she refused, opting instead to go on TV. Who knows why people do the things they do? Some people just like the attention, I suppose…

We are very sorry that things turned out the way they did with Ms. Thomas as we have a lot of people who potentially would have been a great match for her had she only given our service a chance.

Chris88008 Mar 03, 2010

Take a tally of all the people in the U.S. that are currently were members of G/E and ask this simple question, "For the time invested, money spent and the number of people that replied to you, how would you rate G/E on a 1-10 scale, 10 being best?" You're going to see few 8s, 9s and 10s and many 1s and 2s. Maybe you run your center different, but the one on Los Angeles was Ok for a while, then took a nosedive. There was one in Irvine, CA but it closed (hmm, I wonder why). Trust me, I'm Chris51245...my profile's still probably being used at the Los Angeles center although my membership ended years ago.

Great ExpectationsThey screwed me out of $2700.00

I was a member of an Omaha dating service for 9 happy years. Then in 2003, a fraudulent dating service called Great Expectations bought out my old dating service and ran it into the ground with their lies and deceptions.

So after a year of putting up with their lies, I sued the *** out of them and won a judgement of $2500.00.

After, I drove them out of Omaha, I hired Nebraska Judgement Recovery to beat the crap out of them and get my money.

Great Expectations tried not to pay my judgement, but Nebraska Judgement Recovery was able to find that thug, Michael Holland of the Houston, TX. Great Expectations Dating Service and get my money!

Thanks Nebraska Judgement Recovery for going after Belmont Services and Great Expectations Dating service of Houston, TX., and kicking their ***!!!

• Ha
    Harvey VeeNeck May 10, 2009

How do I kick the scrap out of the Bonita Springs, Florida office of Great Expectation.

Great ExpectationsScam and fraud!

1. Copies of the photos were an additional fee
2. An outdated web interface with little search capabilities
3. 40% of the database included inactive members and
4. Very few African American clients.

My disappointment lead me to search the web for complaints. To my surprise there are at least 58 printable pages of complaints about Great Expectations. It was here that I also discovered that I had been charged more than twice what others have paid for the same membership. GE will not deny that I have paid more than others for the same membership and has not offered any reason as to why I was targeted for this amount. As I understand it, contract fees are determined based on the amount of available credit each individual has. I feel deceived and no longer want to participate in the Great Expectations Dating Service. I have not gone on a single date with any member of GE and have no intention of doing so. Essentially, GE has provided nothing but unnecessary credit card debt. The GE contract allows them to charge consumers who never use the service without any means of cancellation. I have repeatedly asked for a refund via email only to be refused.

• Ro
    Robyn May 13, 2008

Your story is almost identical to my story. I fell for the high pressure sales scam as well and definitely feel as though the prices are based on your available credit which they find out before sitting down with you. Stephanie told me that I was approved for the program before I ever filled out the paperwork. I have filed complaints, but have received no compensation either. My program cost me $4, 500 so they definitely change the pricing pending your credit. I have read regardinganother who complained and received full compensation only after going to the media with their story.

• Bl
    Blake25 Aug 17, 2011

I had no idea when I submitted my telephone number in an internet search box that I’d be called & pressured to “just stop by for a 90 minute consultation.” I was surfing the net & came upon some dating site that said it was for “serious singles.” I knew the third time the woman called my phone that I never should have given them my number. She called me in the evening, when I was home & launched into her sales pitch.
    What turned me off was the high pressure. She detailed stories of serial murders who were on dating sites. She would not let me get off the phone. I eventually hung up on her. She kept saying “what is the problem? You don’t know anything about the program to say no.” I made up my mind with all of that pressure that I’d NEVER sign up for anything like that.

I felt high jacked enough on my own phone in my own home. Why in the heck would I drive an hour to be pressured to sign up for some dating deal!!! NEVER!!! If they really had a good product they wouldn’t have to resort to high pressure techniques to get people to join. That was purely distasteful and a HUGE RED FLAG! Avoid them like the plague!!

• Ne
    NewUsGuy Aug 27, 2012

Check my full write-up about the site here: http://newusguy.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/great-expectations-dating-site/

Great ExpectationsFraudulent service!

I just want to cancel the service since I won't be using it nor have I. I am not even asking them for the money back. But they are charging me a monthly fee I don't feel I should have to keep paying after asking them to cancel. Shame on me for falling for this. Wish I had heard of this site before :(

When I contacted them in Bedford NH, they sent me back a message that my contract is being held in Nevada & I would have to go through them to make my plea. They go by the name of ZMGMT. Group, Inc which I can't seem to find any information about.

• Li
    lisa Nov 04, 2008

I was scammed out of 6, 400.oo and the ### charged it to my American Express after telling her no!!! I hope they all rot in hell. I demanded my money back 4 times only to be ignored

• Ha
    Harvey Veeneck May 10, 2009

I recommend that no one join Great Expections, unless you want to throw away money. They are a franchise, therefore they want that money. My experiene with them was of a high pressure sales person trying too keep you in that seat so you don't walk out when you find out the cost. I tried to walk out a number of times, but the pretty salesperson was extremely good. Everytime I asked how much it would be, they would side track me to the topic of meeting all this women and all the fun I would have. Next they would say, do you what to be alone all your life. They wouldn't tell me exactly how much it would cost until I made a verbal commitment. I didn't find out there would be a monthly fee until I signed the paperwork. After the pictures where taken the second day, I was told that if you meet someone on line, they would send your picture packet to that person for a substantial amount of money, which they didn't tell me in any discussions prior to signing. I'm going to ask for my money back. If I don't get a positive answer, I will have to contact the major newspapers within a 50 miles ratios of Bonita Springs, Florida and post my complaints.

Great ExpectationsI would not recommend this service for anyone!

When I signed on with Great Expectations, I was told I'd "be married within six months". NOTHING could be further from the truth. The men I have met on GE have been: disabled, amputated, blind, unemployed, mentally ill and only marginally functioning in society. Not that there is anything wrong with the aforementioned. However, I did not spend $3000 to play nurse maid, guide, therapist, financial provider or social skills trainer. The photographs taken by their "professional" photographer were abysmal. They did let me post my own photographs. However, they provide little assistance in matching anyone. I would not recommend this service for anyone.

• Rn
    rnrstar Oct 31, 2007

I can only concur that Great-Expectations is anything but. They use very high pressure sales techniques with an iron-clad contract. Then after you sign they ding you for more expenses and when you finally log in their listings are very sparse.

I can only suggest that if you ever get a call or find out that the company you called is Great Expectations that you should hang up and run as fast as you can as they are nothing but a rip-off.

Joe May 05, 2008

Agree that Great Expectations is a total and complete fraud. However, unlike the other sites which might cheat you out of $50 or so, single men and women have been scammed out of thousands of dollars by these people. Run for the hills if they ever call. They are criminals top to bottom.

• La
    Laura Oct 04, 2008

I agree as well. Great expectations is run by a bunch of merciless saleswomen who pray on the emotionally vunerable and take you to the cleaners for all you are worth ...and in return you are left with an empty wallet and broken promises

• Me
    meglin Jul 29, 2009

First of all, I think this complaint is a lie because they dont promise you that you would be married in six months, and if if doesnt work thats your fault because you have to use it to make it work and who cares if they have members that are disabled. That would be discrimination, you cant tell someone no you cant have a chance at meeting someone because you are disabled thats just mean. And another thing about people being mentally ill, it's not like they know that someone is mentally ill when they come in for a membership this is the most insensitive, selfish thing I've ever heard in my life and I have a few friends that did get married through the program that got married so I strongly disagree.

• Fl
    flewis Sep 05, 2010

I was ripped off by Great Expectations as well, to the tune of thousands of dollars. The best person to talk with if you are unhappy is the CEO of the company, Robert Fisher, who is based in Houston, TX. His e-mail address is [email protected]

Great ExpectationsNo young women!

Are you a guy in your mid 20's looking for a woman in her Mid 30's? Then Great Expectations may be the service for you. I got suckered into a membership with the "I can see that you can get girls on your own, but we have great girls-- in their early 20's-- that are actually serious about dating. Unlike the ones you will meet at clubs/bars."

The problem with this service is that they charge many many thousands for a service that should cost a couple of hundred, at best. Also, good luck using the 3 day "money back guarantee period," since you won't see your potential matches until weeks later. And when you do see your matches, be prepared to barely see anyone remotely young. And a good portion of the girls on there, well... I am not going to be mean, so I will just let you use your imagination.

I am one of the few people that "escaped" great expectations by contacting their email address on their site, which is concerns AT gemembercare.com and when that didn't work, I contacted ABC 7 on your side News Program ;)

• Ri
    Richard A. Price Nov 25, 2007

I am another sucker from great expectations. I got a hold of the owner but he never canceled my membership. He told me he would for $500.00, and would apply all I've paid so far to the debt, but later told me all I've paid so far is membership dues. They are rapidly ruining my credit by overdrafting my card as well as lying out their ###. Please help if you know any way to put them out of my life and wallet. They're driving me nuts, and I could only wish to press a lawsuit to have even a small recursive action. Worst part is, I haven't ever even been able to use the damn thing...

• Gu
    Guy Jul 12, 2008

Great Expectations dating service is a joke. I joined in 2007 and 10 months later I have only talked to 1 other member. This service was totally misrepresented to me upon sign up, and now I find out that this office hasn't even beeen doing the background checks that they claim they do. They seem to be getting sued left and right, I think I will be next.

• Ci
    cindy Feb 24, 2009

Type Another Great Anti-expectations page @search
    might be geocities.com - good site can add your name to
    pending legal actions

There is alot of info about GE, the more I look the more I find,
    none of it is postive.

Great Expectations — Dating service scam

This company simply takes your money after a high pressure sales pitch and provides no other services. They...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices