Rancho BanderasTimeshare fraud!

We purchased a 3 bedroom timeshare that we bought while vacationing at Rancho Banderas in 2001. Part of the pitch was that 60 months after our purchase, we could submit the sales documentation to a 3rd party they had negotiated with regarding a full refund of the fees. We have followed all the processes, and it turns out the 3rd party has moved with no forwarding address or contact information. Additionally, Rancho Banderas has been of no help to resolve this issue - a program which was supported by the Rancho Banderas development group.

Paul McD Jan 27, 2013

can we just stop paying the fees and not have our credit affected?

• Ge
    Gerald Henri Aug 08, 2012

I notice that most of these comments are from 2007, so wondering what has happened since then. We refused to pay the exhorbitant fees they were trying to charge. At the time I wrote letters to their management Company in Calgary. And got no response, We only bought the timeshare because they told us it was operated by a Canadian Company and so we thought they would be governed by Canadian laws. Foolish us... Everyone above seems to have some sort of legitimate complaint, but has anything happened since 2007. We just gave up on the resort and have heard nothing from them since 2007. Although this week of Aug. 2012, we have been contacted by a Company called " Wilson Affiliates " they claim to be working for a Corporate buyer who wants to purchase a whole lot of shares at Rancho and are offering us good money for our measly 240 points. We are very skeptical, does anyone have any insight to share with us. We are from Surrey, B.C> Canada. e-mail " [email protected] "

• Ab
    abigtime Dec 30, 2011

Sources from Rancho Banderas said people got MF raises of obout 30% or more in 2007 (rules say it can be up to 15%), some of the owners issued a law suit and others kept the membership but the points system they handle is quite complicated. I really dont know how they managed to sell this memberships. And on top of that employees are forced to work extra time and 2 or 3 positions simultaneously (i.e. receptionist&agent) for the same pay, besides mistreated specially by frontdesk manager Barbara Hito Fajer . Besides the rules for their members state the property consists of 220units and they only have 49. I am sure if we keep digging more things will come up. Let's not promote this kind of behavior by continuing buying from such people!

• Mi
    Michele.N. Nov 18, 2011

I am shocked! We have been owners since 1999 and was not aware of any allegations of scams - what are these allegations??

• Th
    Thomas Nisivaco Aug 23, 2011

The Latest Information:

I have found out that the people named on the Northwynd website are all former Fairmont Resort Properties employees. Please help us on our quest to bring this company to justice and send its management to prison where they belong. Attached here is a current list of management from Northwynd Resort Properties and Fairmont Resort Properties.

Patrick Fitzsimonds; Chief Executive Officer
    Doug Frey; Vice President, Development
    Eleanor Fornataro; Vice President, Communications / Corporate Services
    Chris Van Der Deen; Vice President, Operations / Member Services
    Kirk Wankel; Chief Financial Officer

Patrick Fitzsimonds; Chief Executive Officer

Mr. Fitzsimonds has been involved in the capitalization and development of residential and resort-based real estate in the U.S. and Canada over the course of the past 34 years. He acquired a Masters Degree in Business Administration and went on to executive positions with Shelter Corporation of Canada, Qualico Developments and United Inc.. Patrick's areas of experience include construction, design, cash management and financial structure.

Doug Frey; Vice President, Development

Mr. Frey is a University of Alberta alumnus and has been involved in real estate finance and development for over 20 years. His career path includes increasingly responsible positions with National Trust and Morguard Investments Ltd., and most recently as co-founder and principal in Foxbridge Development Ltd., a real estate development company active in Alberta and British Columbia.

Eleanor Fornataro; Vice President, Communications / Corporate Services

Ms. Fornataro has worked in the timeshare industry for the past 14 years, first with Royal Host Vacation Club, and most recently with Fairmont Resort Properties Ltd.. Eleanor brings valuable experience in the areas of program development, client services, and communications.

Chris Van Der Deen; Vice President, Operations / Member Services

Mr. Van Der Deen has many years of experience in the hotel and resort sector. As General Manager of several Royal Host properties in the early 2000s, Chris developed a keen appreciation of the many facets of hotel management and guest services. Beginning in 2005 Chris led the management team of Columbia Villa Management (later Resort Villa Management) at one of Canada's largest timeshare resorts in Fairmont Hot Springs, B.C., and also took on the General Manager role at Lake Okanagan Resort in Kelowna, B.C.

Kirk Wankel; Chief Financial Officer

Kirk Wankel graduated from the University of Calgary with a Bachelors of Commerce in 1995 and obtained his Chartered Accountant designation in 1998 while working for Arthur Andersen. Kirk has over a decade of industry experience including positions as the Vice President of Finance for BW Technologies Ltd., Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Fair Sky Resources Inc., and Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Blackline GPS Inc. Kirk has been the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Northwynd since November, 2010.

• Be
    Benlagraine Feb 08, 2010

Hello.

I was just at RB today, Feb 8th 2010 and they refused me entrance at the gate. I have been going to RB for a few years on a "day pass" that I PAY.

We went there EIGHT of us to SPEND MONEY on food and drinks but they refused us at the gate!!! They did not want any of our business!

Reading through all these posts, now I know why they don't need my business, they are making a FORTUNE with a whole bunch of people who got sucked into a TIMESHARE FRAUD!

I feel pitty for all of you!

Ben

manager May 12, 2009

I agree with all these complaints because We were also duped by that company by promises that we were later told couldn't have been made by the representative because they can't offer anything. We haven't paid all our balance on the timeshare and am wondering should we just cut our losses. What could they do when the comapny isn't a US entity as well as all the evidence we have against them.

• Wo
    World traveler May 06, 2009

We were also duped by this den of thieves and wish to know if we stop paying on the balance we owe for the timeshare, can they attack our credit even though they are a foreign entity. We have more than enough evidence on our part as well as the statements on all these websites that substantiate our claims. We have experienced the same smoke and mirrors bit you all have. Whenever we call to book a reservation they tell us it's already been booked. We were offered extra bonus weeks by the seller telling us we could use them at any time only to find out there were no such things according to the main office and that any promises made by the seller are not honored yet they represent the company. We recently noticed that our contract is for one of the affiliate sites "costa maya" and not rancho. We will also agree to suing them for false advertisement, misrepresentation, unethical business practices.
    Our email is [email protected] I believe that if we all stopped payment and formally issued our complaint with the mexican, canadian, and US authorities, we can at least save our pockets from being exploited any further.

• Kr
    kris hansen Apr 29, 2009

Please keep all of us owners informed of any pending legal action. My husband purchased points in 1999 when dues were under fifty cents a point. The same points that provided a one week stay in 1999 are no longer valid for one week; now it takes two years of points for the same one week vacation. And we pay a 400% increase in dues!

My husband paid the extra fee to stay at Rancho Banderas last week and found some very interesting facts. The villas Rancho Banderas were selling never came to fruition. The complete room renovations disclosed in the 2007 annual maintenance fee summary are fraudulent - the exact same furnishings were in the room when we last vacationed there in 2002. Also, Fairmount Resorts GAVE 20 ROOMS to terminated Fairmount employees, free of charge, as part of their compensation package from Fairmount’s' layoffs. They were all at the resort the same time my husband was vacationing, April 18-25, 2009, and all enjoyed free rooms.

We can't book a room with our points, but they have enough room for hotel guests and employee compensation packages? Our dues are not benefiting owners and we just want out of our contract. We'll cut our losses with the initial payment just to move on and be free from this fraud. I've emailed Rancho Banderas four or five times in the last week and they were RUDE and finally stopped emailing altogether.
    Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

• To
    tom Mar 19, 2009

I have a law firm in Canada who wants to file suit against Rancho Banderas and their outrages assessment fees. They have found a consumer law that they say is an open and shut case against this company. In order to file this suit I need a Rancho Banderas owner from Quebec, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, because the other jurisdictions either do not cover all of Canada or cost could be awarded against the plaintiff, who will step up and be part of this claim. Once the claim is filed all owners past and present will be called on to join the suit. Please send me an email at [email protected] and I will fill you in on the details.

• Jr
    JRU Mar 08, 2009

Please keep me informed on any action that is taken state side or in Nayarit. The maintenance/assessment fees are too much.

• El
    Elaine Jan 01, 2009

Wow! I was starting to think that I was the only one that got scammed until I found this forum. I feel that we should all fight together on this. This timeshare has made me more disappointed than anything else. I am in...are you?

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Da
    D & T Smith Dec 29, 2008

YIKES!! Didn't have time to read all the entries, but read enough to want to be counted as a dissatisfied member.
    I'll get myself updated on all the info here soon. I see our maintenance fees are due Jan. 31 '09. Are we not paying? Sounds good to me.

• Ga
    Garcia Family Dec 29, 2008

Wow...I had no idea there were so many complaints against Rancho Banderas. I was informed of the increase in fees (more than double), and that the contract is "NO LONGER VALID WITH THE NEW COMPANY". The recent owners cannot honor a contract that they did not create. However, they should be accountable because they purchased it. I paid for my timeshare in FULL at the time, was told that in the year 2010 I would be reimbursed fees paid. I followed all procedures and their rules, only to be extremely disappointed. Two years ago I tried making reservations and was told that they were full. I made the reservations a year in advance (prime time stated in my contract). I then asked why is it that they were full, when I should have had first choice, being that; 1. I was making reservations one year prior. 2. All my fees were up to date. 3. I purchased my time share in full (no balance). I should be treated like I owned the place, right? No, I ended up going somewhere else instead.
    THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE MADE ACCOUNTABLE AND RESPONSIBLE REGARDLESS. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM.

• Va
    Vaughn Voeks Oct 17, 2008

That scam of cashback America was the biggest disappointment yet!! No cash back!!! Now the yearly fees have skyrocketed!!! Who can afford to pay them?? What happens if you decline to pay them??? Do we have to belong to II if we don't plan on exchanging any vacations??? If not, that is money wasted also..

• Wa
    Ward Boyd Jun 11, 2008

We also have purchased timeshare points with R.B. and the same empty promises from Cash Back America. I'm sorry that I did not have time to read every ones complaint about R.B. and C.B.A. but it sounds like we were all sold the same bad deal. But remember there is strength in numbers and we all need to stick together, stand up and get what we singed for in our contracts. There is a Complaint filed in the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial Circuit, Orange County Florida, Civil Action
    By the State of Florida Office Of The Attorny General. Against CashBack America, INC.
    Office of the Attorney General, Economic Crimes Division, Orlando Bureau, 135 W CentralBlvd., Suite 1000, Orlando, FL [protected]
    We all should be able to stand together on the same thing in the laws and courts of the Sate of Nayarit, Mexico. Under Mexican Federal Law for Consumer Protection.
    Maybe also Consumer Protection in Alberta, Canada. But what ever we do we should all do it together. Let me know what you think!

Paula Blackburn Mar 28, 2008

Hi,
    I wrote an email to RB telling them we weren't paying anything until they explained the rise in our fees. I got an answer back from the resort manager named Darcy. She basically said they had not charged enough in the past to keep the place up and so now we have to pay to get it up to where it should be. I think we did pay enough, but they money was used for other things. She said she could do nothing about the rate because "that's what all the owners are paying'" . I went back and read my rules/reg. and they are not allowed to raise more than 15% unless like someone else said they get a majority vote from the owners. I don't think anyone was contacted about this. I was also reading all the things we were promised as Charter Members that have never came to pass. I contacted the office of Profeco and just recieved an email from them today. The email address is: [email protected]

They emailed me all the forms needed to file a complaint. We should flood their office with complaints and see what happens.

Andrea Robertson Mar 28, 2008

there are quite alot of posts, and I was wondering is there a class action suit in progress. I paid $600 to resort west management that was supposed to cover lifetime assessment fees (anyone else do this?). they claim they never received payment on our annual dues and out timeshare was cancelled! I paid $11, 000! I am just now starting to handle this matter. can anyone advise me on what to do or where to start. can a time share worth $11, 000 just disintegrate? I moved several times these past couple years and cant find my contract. I do have my contract number. any help would be greatly appreciated. I see several of you have put quite alot of time and resources into investigating this outfit. I am new to timeshare and haven't ever owned on nor gotten to take a vacation at Rancho Banderas. What kind of an attorney would I need to retain in order to help reinstate my membership or get my money back. Can someone read their contract to see if they take all your money if they claim they didn't receive assessment fees. I will research with discover card to get the transaction number but it was 2 years ago. what do they charge annually? Again I paid $600 which was supposed to cover lifetime maintenance fees.
    Thanks so much for any help,
    Andrea Robertson
    [protected]

Marie Dunsmore Mar 27, 2008

My husband and I also bought a week at Rancho Banderas in 2002 for $20, 000 with the promise that we would receive our money back from Cashback America in five (5) years. We followed all the requirements and mailed the paperwork in the correct time frame. When I didn't hear anything, I sent an e-mail to Cashback America and the was told that they had received so many requests and that they would contact me this February. When I heard nothing, I send another e-mail to them and guess what, Cashback America's domain was gone. I contacted a lawyer and he told me to send all my information to Florida's Attorney General as they were investigating Cashback America. You are all so right - this is a real SCAM! Whenever I try to book a week at Rancho Banderas, I can never get the week I desire. Yet, when I go through Interval International I can always get a week - sometimes as many as 13 different weeks are available through them. In hindsight, I wish I had never bought at Rancho Banderas. I would have saved $20, 000 and been able to go a week through Interval and only pay the exchange fee. I am going to write to the Mexican government and find out what they have to say. If anyone out there would like to take Rancho Banderas to court, I would be happy to join the party. It's a shame that unscrupulous companies like Rancho Banderas can get away with this kind of FRAUD.

Paula Blackburn Mar 25, 2008

Is anyone out there still trying to fight these high fees? I have not paid my fees this year but was told by Rancho Banditos that all other owners are paying and not complaining. Can't believe this.

martha gibson Mar 14, 2008

i have just read the complaints submitted by various owners of r.b. and full agree with them - i have been an owner since 1998 and have not been able to book satisfactory reservation times 0ctober 15-april 30 - the increase in the assessment regardless of their explanation is not acceptable. i would be willing to participate in a class action suit depending on the costs involved.

Noel Crawford Feb 01, 2008

I am writing because my boyfriend at the time, who is now my husband and bought points at $14K back in 2001. We were able to use our time once in Jan 2006 for my huband's 40th. We were told we hadn't paid our assessments and in order to use some of the points for the following year we had to pay for the next year's assessment. We did that and stayed for wonderful week there. We tried to make a reservation for 2008 but were told we hadn't paid our assessment for 2007. I said ok, we will pay them. Well, they told us that because we missed our payment our points were cancelled. When we first bought this place we were single and unmarried hoping to have this be a place where our family could enjoy in the future. Well, we now have a family and they won't allow us to take care of this. I know for a fact our assessments were paid for 2006 so the only year we would owe was for 2007 for which I first contacted them in September for. I was banking with another institution for which I am no longer banking. They can't locate this information. What can we do? I can't believe just gave RANCHO BANDERAS $14K of our life savings (at the time) and now they won't allow us to take care of this. They won't accept calls and have only communicated once by email. ANY SUGGESTIONS? AREN"T THERE LAWS AGAINST THIS? HELP???!!!!?????

Harlan Lee Nelson Feb 01, 2008

Sick of rancho. Have stayed there twice and enjoyed in the last ten years. We also have traded out quite a few times, but with the maintenance fees as high as they are we can find something else for a lot less cost. The place is junk and not kept up at all. I would join anything that would help recoupe some of the investment but I do not see it going anywhere. We are not going to pay our maintenance fees this year. They can keep the timeshare.

Chris Hanna Jan 14, 2008

I too, carefully filled out and sent in all the required paperwork needed to get half my purchase price refunded in 54 months. Ha! What a joke. Those lying cheating SOB's won't send a dime.
    Also, the last time I stayed there, the place was in disrepair. I'll never go back and will never pay any more maintenance dues. They can raise it all they want. I'm through with this dive.
    Class action suit? Sign me up!

Chris

• Sh
    sheryl phillips Oct 29, 2007

I would jump on the class action lawsuit too. Last August my parents and I were lied to and we gave into the lies to purchase a timeshare. I tried to cancel while still at the resort but no one at the desk would give me a phone number or email address to contact any of the sales people. I left a letter to the manager of the salesmen to cancel AND I sent an email to the customer service listed. I never got cancellation forms or instructions or any emails or phone numbers that would help me. I still haven't heard back so I filed online to several complaint websites.

• Ka
    Karen Price Oct 25, 2007

I too am one of the many burdened members of RV and hope as well a class action lawsuit. Will take place. Please include me in the loop. I also have stories to tell that may provide info to support a lawsuit.

• Ke
    Kelly Sep 30, 2007

Here's another active group: groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchobanderasowners

Kelly

• Ke
    Kelly Sep 30, 2007

Have all the people doing the newer posting joined the Yahoo Groups list?

It's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fightrancho/

Put me (and my Mom) down for the suit: Kelly/Alma Anderson

• Al
    Alyson Rodges Sep 15, 2007

Help.....I just found this site while exploring.....we too have bought at Rancho.....and shocked at the huge increase in dues. We were able to book after a few trys and visited three times over the years--all that our schedule allows. However, I am deeply concerned by the CASBACK AMerica trust program that others have tried to get (we are suppossed to get ours this DEC.) Has anyone received their money from this TRUST?

Is anyone looking into a class action lawsuit? We would be very interested in finding out about it! Thank you, Alyson

• Pr
    Priscilla Ann Brown Aug 17, 2007

I am glad that I ran into this site as well. I have been very busy this year, so when I was shocked by the fees I didn't pay them. My phone calls have gone unanswered and it has taken months for the company to reply to my emails. I returned home from summer travel in Asia and Europe to find a notice that if I did not pay the $427.20 maintainance fees by August 31st.

I have been a member since November 2001, and my experience has been exactly the same as the majority of people above. I have not paid the fee and have recieved a "Final Statement" and advised that "Payment must be received on or before August 31, 2007 to avoid rescission of your program. If Payment is not made by August 31st, your program will be rescinded. Therefore, you will no longer be an owner at the resort and will be no option to re-instate."

Please add my name to any group action. I'll keep you posted as to how this process goes.

• La
    laura Aug 15, 2007

I too am glad I ran into this website. My grandmother and I have had most of the same experiences. I've lost points, been given the run around and have had very poor communication via e-mail and telephone. We were surprised about the assessment fees as well...thought we were alone. But what got us, is that in order for us to book for March 2008, we had to pay the maintenance fees for both 2007, and 2008 in order to get the reservation. We have never had to do this in the past. Because we wanted to make our reservation we went and paid for both years. Hopefully we weren't duped! But from what I've read I think we were.

• Cj
    CJL Aug 14, 2007

Lori,

The change in ownership is another layer in the shell game that has been put in place to avoid answering and dealing with our tough questions.

Marie Thomas Aug 10, 2007

My husband and I are owners at RB. We think that a class action law suit is in order. We all seem to have the same experience with this company. Something must be done.

• Lo
    Lori Hagar Aug 08, 2007

Well I wish I would have found this site sooner. I too was shocked by the fee increase and got the same standard response. Count me in for any legal action taken.

I did recently get a letter saying the resort has been sold, so hopefully, these items will be resolved. I plan on contacting them now.

Lori.

Marilyn Pitini Jul 06, 2007

I returned from a week vacation at the resort on June 16th and for the most part it is being put into good shape. Probably one of the best things is that they have quite selling so at least there will be fewer owners to compete with to get reservation. People in main office of course know nothing about plans to complete the build of additional units that has been promised for some many years. Also received an e-mail from Collin Knight the president of Fairmont Resort - have others gotten this too? Some owners are talking about law suit - you can be added to e-mail list by contacting [email protected]

• Pr
    Preston Jones Jun 22, 2007

My wife and I are RB owners and very upset with everything. I'm tired of calling internationally over and over with out any answers. We are willing to do anything to get involved with an organized effort to change what they are doing. This has got to stop. Is there another website that people are communicating these issues?

Harriett VanPelt Jun 15, 2007

I am due for a rebate also in 2008, anyone who has received a rebate please contact me. If you have failed to receive a rebate please contact me as to the details of your experience. I may be able to assist you after receiving other time share owner details of what happened to them.

Harriett

Harriett VanPelt Jun 15, 2007

Let us know what we can do to help in resolving problems at RB.

• Cm
    cmel Jun 13, 2007

Does anyone have the new Cashback America address? If so please send it to me, please.

• Cm
    cmel Jun 13, 2007

We should have been given notification of a vote as stated in the regulations, otherwise no more than 15%.

I just spent a week ( II exchange from my Rancho Banderas banked points) and enjoyed my time there, but I was told it was sold and the other buyer has money and is planning to build Oct. 2007.

I didn't believe in the rebate, but I will still sent it in in Feb. 2008 and see what happens.

WHAT IS THE NEW ADDRESS FOR CASHBACK AMERICA???

The problem is that it affects all U>S>A> persons purchasing any foreign timeshares. I will only purchase more in the USA unless this rebate is honored as stated.