Rancho BanderasTimeshare fraud!

We purchased a 3 bedroom timeshare that we bought while vacationing at Rancho Banderas in 2001. Part of the pitch was that 60 months after our purchase, we could submit the sales documentation to a 3rd party they had negotiated with regarding a full refund of the fees. We have followed all the processes, and it turns out the 3rd party has moved with no forwarding address or contact information. Additionally, Rancho Banderas has been of no help to resolve this issue - a program which was supported by the Rancho Banderas development group.

Rob Hamby Jan 08, 2007

I was just told that the maintenance assessments for 2007 will MORE THAN DOUBLE per point for Rancho Banderas. The business practices here would be illegal in the US, but the lender and assessment administrator is the same office in Alberta, Canada.

Charles Fry Jan 16, 2007

We have a similar situation with the payment of 10 years of dues in advance. We have owned the property for about 5 years and have yet been able to use it because there is never room for us when we try to get a reservation. They have not abided by the contract in letting us get a reservation in advance.

• De
    Derrick C. Feb 05, 2007

We were coaxed in signing for Timeshare points with Rancho Banderas last year. When we got home and finally had a chance to review our contract, we were shocked at the various terms and conditions that had been misspresented to us during our timeshare presentation. And of course, that we had only 5 days to revoke the contract in writing, which had expired of course while we where on vacation! How convenient that this presentation was scheduled on our 1st day in Mexico. Sure enough, when we tried to cut things off at the source, we got the run-around treatment and the financial institution, which resides in the same business office as the Rancho Banderas management group in Alberat Canada, was not interested in cancelling our loan either. Now, a year later, we receive an annual assessment fee of $500 USD. Our contract had this fee at 0.82$ / point, while this latest fee is at $1.78 / point. Our contract also states that this fee cannot increase by more than 15% without the written request and majority approval by its members. (all of us) We did not receive any such correspondence. How is this NOT fraud ? There must be something we can do if we get enough voices!

Mary Feb 06, 2007

We have also been shocked to see our maintenance fees. Our yearly fees were $115 when we purchased 240 points a year. The invoice we just received is for almost $500! Has anyone tried to contact the Calgary phone number on the invoice? Our agreement states the 15% maximum increase also.

• Valerie Feb 08, 2007

In November 2001, we purchase 960 points of vacation time from the Rancho Banderas resort in Puerto Vallarta. At that time, the sales team stated that the money we put down for our points would be FULLY reimbursed in 54 months through the Cashback America rebate program. Yesterday (after waiting 8 months), I received a check for approximately 7% of our down payment from the 3rd party used by Cashback America. A letter with the check explained that the merchant (Rancho Banderas had only paid $24,582 into the program and that over $135,000 in customer rebate claims had been received. Therefore, we were only entitled to 19% of our "investment". Cashback America also said that the maximum rebate claim was only $10,000, even though Rancho Banderas gave us $26,000 in rebate vouchers.

This stinks of fraud. I am curious if anyone has initiated a class action suit against Rancho Banderas?

Mary Feb 08, 2007

We prepaid our Rancho Banderas maintenance fees for five years with an offer Rancho said "we should not miss, how could we lose?" (Cashback America!!). Of course, five years later we did not get a penny from Cashback America. They make it so difficult for you to follow their intricate steps that it is set up for you to fail. We had the chance to prepay 10 years, I'm wondering how Rancho Banderas will handle accounts where people did prepay maintenance (at 2002 rates)?

I did phone Calgary - the woman there said this is an emergency situation and if we (and all members) don't pay, the resort will fold. She said most members are paying the maintenance fees - not sure if that is true as I've heard lots of complaints. We have another problem, we can never get a reservation at the resort. I receive e-mails in broken English when I try to make bookings or enquire about our points. So disappointed with the resort.

• Ri
    Richard Eby Feb 13, 2007

I could have written the exact same thing as you. I would like to do further communication with you as there is a more sinister plot by management at Rancho. Their maintenance fees have sky rocketed. By the way, my email may change in about a month so please respond once to me within the month. I suspect that there are trying to burn us off in order to resell the units. I have major doubts that anyone is paying since no one can book at the resort. This is major fraud.

• Me
    Melani Armer Feb 13, 2007

We have had the exact same problems as everyone else. We purchased 900 points in 2001. Our maintenance fee was 57 cents. I also just received my assessment and can believe it.

As far as cashback america that is the biggest scam ever. And they know it. Even though they moved i was able to track them down. I was denied my cashback because according to them they received my claim one day to early. I contacted them by phone and asked about the time frame as it was very vague. I was told i was in the right time frame. So i submitted. If you read the fine print on the information provided from them it does say it cannot exceed $10,000. It also says if there ain't no money in "the fund" you get no money. They didn't tell us this. Call rancho banderas sales and they were rude rude rude.

We also have not been able to get our reservations that we have requested so we are basically paying for something we are unable to use.

I have been unable to find any business info on resorts west management. I would like to find out how we could find out just how many total points they have sold. Perhaps they have sold more than they can accomadate

chad Feb 13, 2007

I'm also a member at Rancho. Sounds like we've all experienced the same frustrations. I suggest we start discussing a plan of action rather than restating the same experiences.

Top of mind thoughts on how we start to mobilize:
    1. We need to establish a centralized forum for communicating. I've seen at least 3 different locations (tripadvisor, TUG site and complaints board) where this conversation is taken place. I'd suggest choose one and direct new comers to selected location.
    2. Agree on a collective response to the resort. I've seen one forum suggesting that we submit a petition protesting the fee increase while others have suggested formal litigation.
    3. Identify a point person responsible for conveying our message to resort.
    4. Determine how we best convey the groups intentions to the resort; email, formal letter or other format.

Please respond with your thoughts. If someone has already begun to initiate the process I'm happy to join in participate.

Lance R. Larsen Feb 13, 2007

Chad is absolutely right. I've sent email to a couple of you who have similar complaints regarding the assessment fees. I plan to pursue this matter immediately and will update this post with what I learn. If I find a phone number to register a complaint I will publish it here so that other like-minded owners can make their own inquiries.

Lance R. Larsen Feb 14, 2007

2/14/2007 8:34 AM. Called office numbers 877-451-1241 and 403-451-1242 and got answering machine.

2/14/2007 8:55 AM. Called office numbers 877-451-1241 and got answering machine. Machine said due to high volume of payments calls may not be returned for 3 days. Further it stated that inquiries about fees should be sent via email and they will be answered in 3-4 weeks.

They are not answering their phones. Big surprise. I'm don't know how these people sleep at night. I think I'd be sleeping with one eye open.

On to my lawyer I guess.

Lance R. Larsen Feb 14, 2007

I talked to a lawyer this afternoon. I read him both the applicable section of the contract as well as thier explanation for the fee increase. It is his opinion that none of the items cited for reasons to increase the fee beyond 15% without a vote rise the the level of "Extraordinary" as the contract states. Not only does the expense need to be "Extraordinary" but the reasons also "...could not have been forseen by the managing agent...". Inflation, increasing property taxes an operational and labor costs not only should be forseen but EXPECTED AND PLANNED FOR by any competent management company.

The very last section of the contract states that disputes that cannot be resolved between owners and management must be settled in the state of Nayarit, Mexico. That means that owners, if considering legal action, will need to retain legal help licensed to work in that state. Any lawsuit would need to be filed in that state.

Since I have vacation coming up and it has already been paid for, I plan to pay the amount of the invoice but dispute the amount. On the check in the lower lefthand corner I will write "Payment in Full with Reservation of Right to All Remedies". I plan to include a cover letter stating my opinion that the reasons cited do not meet the criteria set forth in the contract. The letter will reiterate that I am willing to pay a fee equivalent to a 15% increase as per the contract but reserving the right to dispute the payment in excess of 15% in the future.

I would like to pursue getting a list of all members but I'm not sure how to go about that in a timely fashion. If enough people express interest we can talk about ways that we might do this without information/help from the management.

chad Feb 15, 2007

Thanks for the feedback Lance.

Enjoy your vacation.

I have no plans of paying RB or anyone affiliated with them until this is resolved. Communication has been horrible and I would rather cut my losses now and walk, rather than continue to be strung along by these folks. RB has much work to do to regain my trust...

I believe we need RB to provide the following to begin to justify the need for the rate increase and prove that they have a plan for the future.
    - balance sheet 2004-2006
    - listing of points sold to date
    - 3-year, 5-year and 10-year plan for the resort
    - provide members the ability to connect and discuss issues with the resort. Requesting a complete member list with contact data obviously opens some privacy concerns is unlikely to be . (I have some ideas for accomplishing this should we get the ear of RB management)

chad Feb 15, 2007

Received a tip that this organization may be of assistance. They are part of the Mexican government and work with folks outside the country who are victims of consumer fraud.

Here is a snipit from one of their websites. As Lance mentioned, any litigation must take place in Mexico. I thought this organization might provide some free advice for how to proceed if it comes to that.

I will be sending a letter and provide any meaningful feedback.
    --------------------------------
    If you have acquired any product or service from a Mexican person and are not satisifed, you may file a complaint from outside of Mexico. This is a totally free service and does not require the presence of the consumer in the procedure.

The complaint can be submitted in any Profeco office, Embassy, Consulate or any other official office.

The Profeco address is:
    Profeco - (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor)
    Av. José Vasconcelos No. 208, 6º Piso, Col. Condesa, C.P. 06140, México D. F.

You must submit the following information:

- A brief letter (1 page maximum, preferably, typed) stating the following:
    Supplier's name, address, phone, e-mail or other contact information, description of the facts that explain the reason for your complaint, date of purchase, cost of the product or service, amount you are claiming, your name and signature.
    - Copy of your ID (Passport or Driver´s License)
    - Copy of your contract or payment invoice
    - Copy of your bills, credit card slips or receipts as evidence of your payments
    - Copy of all the documents available to support the complaint.

For further information you can contact Profeco at the following numbers:
    (52) 55-68-87-22 (phone); (+52) 55 5211-2052 (fax), or E-mail: [email protected]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Marilyn Pitini Feb 15, 2007

I have been a charter member at Rancho since 1999 and one of the reason I bought with them was their plan to build a quality resort that was responsive to their members. They presented themselves as a reputable and long standing Canadian company that also built Fairmount Hot Springs. Sad to say this has been the worst investment of my life - every year I get wait listed for a reservation if I try to go during winter months, I got swindled out of my 50% reimbursement of maintenance fees and now this huge increase. And they just keep selling and selling but don't build any new units. On one visit the sales manager at my "owner's meeting" tried to get my brother to spend $120,000 and seemed surprised that he declined - telling them their best selling feature would be keeping their current members/owners happy and they didn't seem to be doing this very well. Then last year (I stayed somewhere else and just visited the resort) when I expressed frustration with getting a reservation I was told that they were planning to start selling set weeks. I informed them that as a Charter member I would expect to have first pick of a set week and would like to speak with Brian who is sales manager and has been part of this management team since the beginning. Of course he couldn't meet with me - pressing matters. I have never had the resort ask for my opinion on any of their plans - Penthouse, gym, move reservation office to resort.

I would definitely be interested in trying to set things straight. It would be interesting to know how many members there are, because I don't think the resort has more than 40 units and there a alot of people trying to sell their points on various web sites. Am concerned if I don't pay fees what will happen to reservation I have in June for my niece's graduation - maybe sending check with stipulation that Lance mentioned is best plan. I will keep this website on my favorites and check in weekly. Please let's work together to try and fix this.

• Ke
    Ken Cook Feb 15, 2007

I've just sent the following eMail to RB:

Please advise with a clear explanation for this assessment, or send a corrected invoice.

Mary Feb 16, 2007

I am going to send the same e-mail as Ken did. I think everyone needs to do something similar if they are not going to pay, just to cover themselves.

"The delayed 2007 annual assessment was received last week. The per point fee of $1.78 is more than double the 2006 per point fee of $0.82. My contract signed in 1999 indicates a maximum annual increase of 15%, or $0.943 per point.

Late fees and penalties should not be applied pending resolution of this inquiry. "

jay Feb 19, 2007

I have also had all of the above mentioned experiences with RB. When we first bought this time share I thought it was a great deal. Now this doubling of the assessment in clear violation to the contract. Has anyone received a response from RB about the assessment? Some how I doubt it.

I agree about sending a letter of protest on the assessment. I do not think that I would be willing to pay and then hope for a correction from these people. What I would be willing to do is to take a vacation to P.V. and picket in front of the resort. Anyone care to join me?

Add me to any list for participating in class actions or other legal efforts to get things resolved. Thing is my wife and I REALLY love that place. Feel cheated and conned.

Mary Feb 25, 2007

We have sent a complaint e-mail to RB and an e-mail asking for help from Profeco. We have decided not to pay our maintenance fees pending a full explanation from RB. I'm interested to hear if others are paying or not?

• Gr
    Greg Kobold Feb 27, 2007

I agree with all I have read. I was shocked when I received my invoice, over $1400.00 US. for 960 points. It is my belief that they are trying to squeeze out a lot of owners so they can continue sell. When we were there last everyone agreed that it was very hard trying to reserve time. I've tried to reserve time for 2008 but have had no response for two weeks, I just called them and they said I will have a confirmation via e.mail today, we'll see. I'm very concerned about the lack of caring.

• Co
    Colby Grueber Feb 28, 2007

I have just started a yahoo group to help pull together as many people on this as we can. If you wish to join feel free to contact me or go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fightrancho/join

Charles Fry Feb 28, 2007

We have not received an assessment this year. I can only assume that since we paid 10 years in advance, they have decided to try to keep us in the dark as long a possible. Usually, we have an assessment sheet that is marked paid, but that gives us a good idea of what we are supposedly saving. We also tracked down Cashback America and made our submittal, but have got nothing in return except a couple of letters saying they are processing and are behind in getting the checks out. Ranch Banderas has refused to give any assistance and if the above is true (they did not pay in all the moneys) then we now know why. We will be happy to join the group on Yahoo and will contact our friend that are in a similar situation to tell them.

• Cj
    CJL Mar 06, 2007

My 2006-7 experience has been as follows:

We made reservations for November 2006 and enjoyed a wonderful family vacation and were excited to make reservations for February of 2008.

We the received our assessment with a 117% increase in late January. I called the assessment office in Calgary requesting the rationale for the increase since we believed that there was a 15% cap on increases. I was told that the management company was raising the rate to maintain the resort at a high standard, the management company set the price and it wasn't changing, etc. I specifically asked the woman (Leanne I believe is her name) by what section of our management agreement was Resorts West basing this increase upon. She was unable/unwilling to answer and when I asked to speak to her supervisor, she referred me to Timo Stychin who is the general manager of the resort whose signature appears on the letter that came with our assessment. I sent an email to the assessment address stating my position and requesting clarification about the increase. I received the auto reply that it would take 3-4 weeks to get a response.

I made a follow up phone call to Timo, who it ends up is in Mexico, onsite at the resort, not in the Calgary assessments office. I again, stated my case for Timo and asked by what provision of the management agreement, the management company was exceeding the 15% cap on increases. He was unable/unwilling to provide the answer but was quite ready to continue with the "song and dance" about needing the increase to maintain the integrity of the resort, etc. He also made a few other interesting statement including :1) "Resorts West took control of the resort in 2006" - FALSE - their name appears on our contract dated 2005. at this point I'm beginning to distrust him). 2). He also stated that "people holding different point values were assessed different increases, specifically, those of us in the value season saw a much higher increase than those in the platinum season".

Because he was not giving me an answer to my specific question, I asked him to whom should I next direct my inquiry? He suggested the assessment office in Calgary and was quite surprised when I informed him that they referred me to him!

I called Calgary again and was told by Leanne to contact Resorts West in their Barbados office. She did not have a telephone number but stated that the return address on our bill would be sufficient.

At this time, we're seeking the advice of 2 attorneys and preparing a registered letter to Resorts West in Barbados.

In all honesty, I would be able to accept an increase over 15% if they had gone through the proper channels. I'm not going to accept a random increase that fails to follow the service agreement because I'm certain that if I fail to meet my obligations outlined in the agreement, the management company would be using it against me in order to gain compliance.

If we allow the management company to disregard their agreement, we've set a dangerous precedent and I'm going to do my best to avoid that.

The sad thing is that we'll probably spend more in attorney's fees that the actual increase for 2007.

I really enjoy the resort and the staff and would be disappointed if errors by the management company prevent my family from have positive vacation experiences.

Janice Mar 08, 2007

On March 3 I received a phone call from Tim Stichin who is with Resort West Management. We chatted for 1/2 hour or so. He said he would send a summary of our conversation but so far I haven't received it.

They are quite tired of hearing from me so it would be great to have other owners email him -
    [email protected] attn: Tim Stichin. Let him know how you are feeling.

He did tell me that they were not prepared to adjust the rates and basically if owners wanted to bail then so be it. He'd rather you didn't but they were not going to change their minds.

Anyway, it's always good to hear from more involved RB members.
    Janice

jay Mar 08, 2007

Janice it seems like you are saying that Tim Stichin is saying none of the owners protests is going to get them to honor the contracts we have that limit the assessment increases to 15%. Is that about it?

Clearly they figure that they come out ahead if owners drop out and they can sell our time shares to the next group of fools.

Right now we are all just taking them on one on one. We need to create a collective force. It does not make sense to each hire attorneys.

Does anyone have an attorney familiar with class action? I for one would pay a share for such an action.

For me this is not about the $ it is about the screw you attitude they have.

• Pe
    Peter Thielsen Mar 09, 2007

I have been asked by Randall Holt (redrandall) to inquire about employing a lawyer in Calgary to pursue a class action suit against Fairmont Resorts on behalf of the timeshare owners. I spoke to Gerald Albert of Albert Masuch who I have used for all my corporate and personal legal matters for many years and he says that we have to determine first of all if we have the grounds for a suit and whether the suit should take place in Canada or in Mexico. If we were to proceed with a class action suit it would be on behalf of all the members of the class - which means all the timeshare owners even though we don't know who they all are at this point. He says that Fairmont Resorts would have to disclose who all the Timeshare owners are once the suit is launched.

In order for him to give us an opinion he would have to review all the documents that we have been provided. This would include all sales agreements as well as the rules and regulations. He estimates that the maximum charge for his firm to offer an "Opinion" would be $2,500. (Canadian dollars) Gerry says he could probably do it for less but he won't know until he sees all the documents.

In order to proceed we would all have to agree to share the legal fees so I guess the first step is to find out who wants to take part in this

Janice Mar 10, 2007

Hi Peter,

I spoke with my husband and he said he would be willing to participate. Randall Holt has my email address and fax number.

My cousin has just left for PV and will be making a site visit to Rancho.

Does anyone out there know how to create a website?

Anyway, thanks for putting your time into this and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Janice

Marilyn Pitini Mar 10, 2007

I sent e-mail on 2/17 to [email protected] expressing my concerns and letting them know their brief breakdown of costs did not justify this huge increase in fees. I asked that they provide detailed and clear explanation for the increase or send a corrected invoice. Below is the response I got from Leanne Tucker, Accounts Administrator and as far as I can determine it basically says they have are incompetent and have mismanaged things for several years and we have to pay for it. I'm not an accountant but between "management fee and salaries and benefit" there is over $950,000 a year being paid out and I'm sure the local Mexican people receive very little of this.

"Thank you for contacting Rancho Banderas. We appreciate your feedback.

The 2007 increase percentile reflects the mentioned inflations; however these inflations are not the only factors that are required to take into consideration. Past years increases were not exercised in order to fulfill prior inflations, which have put us behind the required margin. Therefore this year does reflect a jump in the price in order to compensate for years changes in the economy and the growing needs of improvements for the resort.

As mentioned in the cover letter, we were budgeted to operate on the basic annual costs, and with this margin are unable to proceed in maintaining a 5 star quality accommodation and service for our guest’s expectations. This requires extensive programs for refurbish replacements as well as face lifts of existing interiors and exteriors of structures and grounds.

The Management Agent has submitted the required notification and operational budget for your perusal and support of the very necessary improvising, that have been more and more difficult to accomplish each year. Therefore, the rate of the fees have been set for 2007. Please refer to your invoice.

Please be assured, you will experience a return of your investment through optimal quality of products, training of staff, accommodations,facilities and grounds that we must provide to meet and exceed guest expectations.

Again, we thank you for your concerns and feedback, and we look forward to reaching our goals to better satisfy our valued members.

Best Regards,

Leanne Tucker
    Accounts Administrator
    Rancho Banderas
    email: [email protected]
    Phone: 1-877-451-1241
    Fax: 1-877-451-1239
    Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm MST
    Suite A, 220 - 42 Avenue S.E.
    Calgary, Alberta T2G 1Y4

Janice Mar 10, 2007

Hi Marilyn,

This appears to be the standard letter that Leanne Tucker sends to owners who inquire about the increase in fees. Several of us have had the same response letter - it is now getting very tiresome. We would like her to give us real answers. Unfortunately, she probably doesn't know them. She is basically the middle man, the poor sucker that gets all the nasty emails from frustrated and angry timeshare owners that feel they have been duped.

Cheers, Janice

• Rb
    rbarre Mar 12, 2007

If Marilyn is a "charter" member then I must be one of the first. I bought in May of 1997. The beach was the sales closer. Indeed the best beach in the PV area. RB as stated in my contract was to build 220 units! (Do the later contracts state this?) Perhaps if they did, we would not have such booking problems.

I was there in November of 2005. A vacationer who exchanged, bought at RB and then had second thoughts. I heard the heated discussion between him and the sales manager and staff, they told him he could not get out of the contract. Worse, being a small resort, they were rude during the rest of his vacation. I talked to him around the pool and on the very day of his departure we went to the Profeco office near Marina Vallarta. Thanks to them the contract was rescinded before he left. I have a great deal of respect for the Mexican agency Profeco. Perhaps the first course of reasoning is with the operation in Calgary, but pressure can be had through the authorities in Mexico.

John Bader Mar 16, 2007

I have been an owner since 2001, and except for the first year have been unable to get a reservation. I travel annually to Nuevo Vallarta and as a matter of course visit Rancho to see what if anything is going on. I have never been there when the sales staff was not at work. On my last visit three weeks ago, the sales staff closed two sales during the time it took us to have lunch. We stay at the Mayan Palace, a resort where we have never been unable to obtain reservations at our preferred vacation times. Quite a contrast with Rancho.

I have refused to pay the current maintenance fee for the reason that the increase this year exceeds the contractual 15% maximum.

Nobody has mentioned the VAT tax that has suddenly appeared on their maintenance fee invoices. When I inquired on what authority this tax was being collected I was simply informed that it was a government tax. I was unable to get any further information even though I inquired further. My time share at the Mayan does not charge VAT and they informed me that there was no tax on the fees. There is a 2% room tax based on the maintenance fee when you use your time share and is collected at the resort on check-out.

Neither has anyone mentioned the customer value discount of .71 which is no doubt there to lessen the shock of the increase and persuade people to pay the assessment.If members fall for this, no doubt the discount will be removed next year and we would be hooked on the new fee rates.

I am prepared to co-operate in any effort to bring these operators into line.

John Bader

Janice Mar 17, 2007

Hi John

If I'm correct, Timo Stychin said that the VAT was paid in the Barbados where the company is registered. It has nothing to do with Mexico - pretty cheeky eh? That's why the other hotels don't charge it.

Check back in on some of the other emails on this site and TripAdvisor. I gave a rundown of my conversation with him.

Janice

John Bader Mar 18, 2007

Thanks Janice. Actually had suspected that was the case. We bought in Mexico from a company which was registered I believe in Canada at the time. The change of registered office location was to serve the purposes of the operators, not the members. We will have to guess at the reason for moving the company registration to the Barbados, but given the company's track record in other respects some ideas might come to mind. Anyways, why is Barbados collecting a value added tax for services delivered in Mexico. Perhaps this is another point to be explored by counsel in the event counsel is retained. In the meantime, in my view, members should not be paying this tax until confirmation is received from the Barbados government that they are legally charging the tax. Following that, steps should be taken to recover from Rancho any amounts so paid since their actions in moving to Barbados has financially predjuduced all members.

John

John Bader Mar 18, 2007

Janice. Please excuse my lousy spelling. Always proofread.

John

Roumy Stoyanova Mar 27, 2007

I am one of the many burdened members of RV and I want to participate in action class lawsuit. So hope to be in the loop and provide as much info as necessary for the lawsuit.

Robert Kinghorn Apr 09, 2007

If you want to get on the mass email list of unhappy RB owners, please respond to:

[email protected] and also to
    [email protected]

and you will be added to the mass email list. We are attempting to put together a plan to go after RB and get the fees lowered, or be in pain in the a$$.

Thanks
    bob

Robert Kinghorn Apr 23, 2007

If you read this, send you email address to [email protected] We are currently a group of 105 trying to fight RB.

Thanks,
    Bob

• We
    Welene Ellis Apr 28, 2007

We've had the same issues to no avail. Thought we were alone guess NOT.

• Da
    Dawn Cooper May 03, 2007

Problems and frustrations mirrored exactly everything above, no need to repeat, but would, like to get in on the calvary and fight this scam

• Mi
    Mike May 03, 2007

Rancho Banderas scams, lies, defrauds!!!

We believed we had bought a beautiful time share property for our family with points we could exchange in June of '05.

The first suspicion of the scam was when we received notice from American Rebates that our promised rebate of $10,000 was not going to happen because RB failed to pay their fees to that company.

Then we tried to exchange the points with DAE Live and discovered the points are only exchangeable with a reservation validation. When we tried to make a reservation, they told us that due to high demand they were full and I would not be able to make a reservation for that year and the following year and the points for that year were due to expire and would not be banked because it was past the request deadline to bank them. I called in Dec'06 to make reservations for our points of "07 and then they said I needed to have made the reservation in May of 06 and that my points would be lost for '07 even though I followed the 6 month - 12 month advanced reservation rule, I still lost my points for '07, We grew even more suspicious!!

Then the assessment fee bill arrived late and was about 100% higher than our contracted fee and exceeded the 15% annual rate increase limit on our contract violating our contract agreement. We were told we had to pay it to make reservations requests. So we did pay it and we were told we had to make reservations exactly on May 1st for the following year's (08) points.

I made reservations and they denied my request making up a new rule not found in the rules and regulations stating that I must resubmit my reservation request and can only do it for a starting date request of Fridays or Saturdays only for the next year and it's on first come first serve basis. So I made my reservations just after midnight exactly 365 days in advanced of the requested reservation, when I didn't hear from them, I called and was told that I was cheating so they denied the request because they will only accept reservations made after 9AM Central time and won't accept request made before 9AM central time. The said I had to try to resubmit the request for the next Friday or Saturday. Another new rule not found in the rules and regulations. This limits us to only 6 more chances (amount of Fridays/Saturdays left in May and June) according to them they need written request in at precisely 9AM Central time, exactly one year to the date that coincides with a Friday or Saturday between the dates specified for our vacation season. Another new rule not in the rule book. So we will try to get a reservation made in the coming 6 weeks at exactly but not before 9AM for the corresponding Friday or Saturday exactly one year from the date the request is made. Now this is getting ridiculous and crazy.

Since Aug. 31st is the last day to request to bank that years time slot, the other vacation season Sept.-Oct. can't be reserved because it falls beyond the one year reservation period after the Aug. 31 deadline and they will not make reservations 13 month in advance or even 11 months-30 days and 9 hours in advance, stating their computers won't let them do it.
    So that is another year of points not booked, not exchangeable and not used. With $550.00 paid for assessment fees and still no ability to use or exchange the timeshare week we purchased, on top of paying $$12,000 cash (We did not finance) for something we have gotten nothing in return except more made up rules not in the rules and regulations and more excuses and attitude.

When I asked them exactly how they will accommodate our contract which guarantees a 1 week vacation stay there every year between May 1st and June 30th or Sept. 1 and Oct. 31st, they said "nothing, what else do you want from us". I told them I wanted my week I paid thousand of dollars for, they said that there was nothing else they could do for me and were not apologetic at all.

Customer service is not in their interest. Scamming Time share holders out of thousands seems to be, by making it next to impossible to meet their "MAKE UP THE RULES AS YOU GO ALONG" childhood game in trying to get reservations.

However, I do have a time share in Orlando Florida with RCI membership that I have had exceptional, outstanding customer service and experience, RB and DAE live are scam artists and lairs.

With all the complaints and negative comments I have been reading about RB and their lies and scams and fraudulent manipulative high pressure sales pitch with no accountability on behalf of the sales man, I believe there must power in numbers to do something to stop these scammers who are still actively selling to unsuspecting tourist and to get something back like my one week vacation for fifty years.

LETS GET ORGANIZED AND DO SOMETHING!!! THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS EVEN IF IT IS OUTSIDE THE USA!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices