Pointe Pest ControlAggressive sales tactics

Pointe Pest Control
www.pointepestcontrol.com

We had signed up for a pest control service with Pointe Pest Control. It was for multiple applications over a year. The work was to be done inside and out. These guys would just do the out side stating that no one answered the call. When we wanted to cancel they said the following which we were never made aware of:

1. The cancellation will have to be in writing

2. There would be an early cancellation service

3. The contract renews year after year and if you don't cancel in time - you are charged an early cancellation fee.

After we sent in the letter, they continued to call and state that they were scheduling work. The person we spoke with (Nancy) was extremely rude and unprofessional with a major attitude.

The work that they did was never verified if they actually did do the application. We never saw any difference.

Another Unhappy Customer Sep 21, 2007

We had a similar experience. They promised a thorough evaluation, plus promised to bug bomb the crawl space and spray the garage. The guy showed up and spent 5 minutes spraying around the baseboard in the basement, and left. We called to complain, and they never did answer the phone. They never responded to several voice mails.

Then, they periodically showed up randomly on a Saturday to re-do the job. The bug bomb requires the animals to get out of the house, and they just showed up, when we have a house full of kids and pets. They then promised to get back to us the next week, which they never did.

Now they've done a second "treatment", which consisted of the guy parking his truck out front for 5 minutes and then leaving a bill for $70. He didn't do anything!!! I was watching him out the window and waiting for him to get his stuff ready to come inside and take care of the inside, but he just left a bill and drove away. Amazing.

I called their customer service number today, and I finally got someone. They would put me on hold for many minutes, so I would call back and start over. Finally the guy told me that they would not honor the guarantee that is posted on the front page of their website:

"Customer Satisfaction or its Free! If we do not provide a service to your level of satisfaction, we will promptly return for free until you are satisfied. If the problem persists, we will refund your last service payment."

He said that statement was inaccurate and that they do not ever give money back. Luckily I recorded him saying this, which I will give to my credit card company when I have them chargeback the funds.

Yikes. These guys are ###.

• Sr
    Sreenivas Gudavalli Sep 28, 2007

I have the same situation. I was NOT told by the sales person who showed at my door and sold me this service about the early cancellation fees. I checked the contract and the contract DOES include the small print about the early cancellation fees.
    Is there any way we can fight this scam?

• Di
    Diane A Oct 17, 2007

I had the same experience today!

I started my service in May and during the first service I was home while they sprayed my home and yard. They seemed to do a fairly good job.

They were supposed to come out within a month to spray again. They never showed up. I received a message on August 15th stating that they would be out the next day. I called them back and said they could just do the outside since I had to work. I sent them a check on August 16th.

On August 17th I received a phone call from the accounts receivable department stating that I was past due on my account. They said that I had not paid for my June application. I told them that they never came out in June. I never received a phone call and I did not receive an invoice. The gentleman on the phone said that he would check into it. He called me back an hour later and stated that they had several calls from my neighborhood saying the same thing. He said he would credit my account and that they would call the night before they came out to service from here on out!

Today, I was home for an unrelated delivery and they showed up. The applicator said that I had a past due balance of $75.00. I explained what had happened and he said he would call the office. After speaking to someone in his office for several minutes he asked me to talk to him. I tried to explain what had happened and he basically called me a liar! He was very rude and he spoke over me. I have never been treated so rudely!

I told him I would pay the $75.00 but would cancel as soon as my contract was up and I would tell all my neighbors and friends about my experience. He said that was my prerogative but I needed to pay my bill!

Do not use this company!

chris Oct 21, 2007

I will agree on the sales tactics, and the office sucks the business is ran horrible, but I think the Techs are the best thing or at least the 2 techs i have had. The product works, but they need help in the management department

• Wi
    William Oct 23, 2007

I love reading the complaints. I work for One of Pointes biggest competes, and I have to side with them on just about all of your complaints. Most of you heard what you wanted to hear from the sales rep (we get the same thing). Has everyone in the world forgot what a CONTRACT is. I sure know they dont read it before they sign and expect us to let them off the hook at no penalty, because it's somehow our fault they didn't read. You signed a cellphone contract and heaven forbid after it expires (and you forget to sign a new one) the just up and shut off your phone, fire would shoot from your head. A contract does not equal, I'm going to pitch the biggest fit over the phone so I can have what I want. I also love how the people who complain never tell the whole truth. I run into the same thing with my company ALL the time. PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING and often lie to get what they want. What a selfish non accountable attitude. We are not without fault but we do try remedy the problem IF the customer lets us.

• Je
    Jean Miller Oct 23, 2007

I wanted to make a comment or 2 here. I am stay as neutral as possible but leaning on the side of Pointe. I too think the Pointe office is run by inexperienced bunch of people. They run the technicians ragged at all hours of the day and into the evening in many cases... just to try to accommodate the customer. Personally I wish for the employees sake they would establish regular hours. Maybe if customers need service on a Saturday they should charge an extra fee or something. Those guys have families and personal lives. Let them go home at 5 or 6 o'clock. I bet they have lots of employee turnover. If they don't they will soon.

As far as the guy complaining about a contract expiring...lots of companies have contracts... lawncare, pest control, security, etc... they have an initial period of 1 year. After that they go on as long you want them to go. You are not "locked in". You want to cancel the service go right ahead. The contract says send your cancellation in writing with 30 days notice. Not hard to to do. Orkin and Chemlawn have the same contract. Like the other guy said... read your contract.

As far as servicing the home with a "Bug Bomb" ... The State of Illinois banned that practice about 15 years ago. You might get all the pests out your house simply because you might just blow them up and the house too. Bad, very bad idea! If anybody says they are gonna do that raise your right eyebrow and grab them by the shirt and escort them to the door. Remember though- It just may be a young punk sales kids that wants to make a sale and he/she may not know what they are talking about. ANY experienced service technician with ANY knowledge would steer you away from that method of treatment.

As far as customers calling up and yelling and screaming to file complaints?! It happens everyday. There are so many people out there that just have no sense of respect for anyone and they don't shut up long enough to allow a person to help them even when they are actually trying to give them proper directions. I have had it happen to me at my job... if you are a "yeller" when you complain do NOT expect to get your way and don't be surprised when the problem goes unresolved.

Feel free to use the services of Pointe, Terminex, Orkin, and the thousands of other pest control companies out there to solve your pest problems. They are all out to help you and make a buck or 2 doing so. If you don't want to sign a contract...then you have to go to HomeDepot and buy the stuff and do it yourself. You can't complain to anyone but yourself if you blow your house up or kill the cat and dog in the process. And ALWAYS read the label to help prevent those tragic but real sceneries.

Jason Apr 28, 2008

The stuff at home depot sucks. The products we use has to be mixed on spot or they lose their potency, until they miro-encapsulate and that wont happen in a container. How long has that stuff been mixed, two weeks. Plus the home depot stuff is mostly nerve agents, natural or not. Not saying nerve agents are bad, they kind of are, but they are ineffective. The bugs are in the walls, there not out and about in your home, they are just there some of the time. Just killing stuff is not the way to go. We do use some nerve agents though. I didn't want to send a false message.

Bug bombs, what is that, just nerve agents. It will take a long time to get a good amount of gas into the nests in your walls. So either it won't permeate, or it did permeate, and will slowly osmose back into your living area. Gaseous nerve agents, those are the worst kind. You know if you really want to do a lot of work you could just do to the department of agriculture and get a private licence for general and structural pest control. Then just buy the "good stuff". Warning the "good stuff" could be lethal if you don't know what you are actually buying. The leathal kind would be available to a licensed individual and you might make a mistake. It still could be a good investment, but be really, really careful, and don't even try if you have kids. It's not worth it.

• Da
    Daniel May 11, 2008

I am a sales rep for Pointe and I think that these complaints are highly exaggerated. The sales rep. that came to your door explained to you the service that would be performed, then he/she gave you the service agreement and explained what would be done in your home and around the outside of your home. You then had the opportunity to read over the contract and nit-pick all you want. If you didn't do it, then you can't complain when you are charged a small cancellation fee if you do not honor your contract. I'm sure there are some cases in which the technicians didn't do the best job, or possibly didn't do any job, but those cases are few and far between. The product works much better than anything that you can buy at the store. If you want to keep applying the same products week after week and kill only the pests that you see (which are a small percentage of those living there) go ahead, but if not then read the contract and make sure you understand what one is ... if you are signing it you should be old enough to realize what a contract is by now.

• St
    Steven May 29, 2008

I had a Pointe Sales Rep show up at the door. What a jerk, high pressure, arrogant, egotistical, young punk. He said, "You will be calling us." Using negative scare tactics for selling do not work in this day and age. My house has no bug issues and they were saying other people in the neighborhood were using their service, name dropping, telling horror stories. It is obvious they are trying to screw you. As an example, read the stupid response from the Pointe Sales Rep. Come on, who do you think you are? Your just an idiot. Here is how you deal with them coming to the door to sell you, it is easy. Post a "no solicitation" and "no trespassing" signs, when they come to door to sell, call the police. They can be arrested for trespassing as it is posted. If you already signed a contract, just sue them for breach of contract. This will cost them at least a thousand dollars to show up in court, issue subpoenas for depositions. Before the case goes to trial, you will have burned up about $5, 000 of their money. If you get a sympathetic judge to your case, they are screwed. Even still they should settle if they are smart. By the way Pointe Sales Rep, I know how to read a contract and sue you, both on a business side and personal

• Cy
    Cyndi Jun 03, 2008

Yes, read your contract! As far as suing them for breach of contract, they've covered their butts there, too. In the fine print, you've agreed to settle any claim or dispute by "Binding Arbitration." We are coming to the end of our contract with Pointe Pest Control and I am in the process of sending the required 30 day written notice to cancel our service. I have been sorry we signed this contract since a month into our one-year agreement, but we sucked it up and continued the service we agreed to for the year. I've never been so happy to see the end of a contract in my life!

First of all, the sales rep comes to our door with the story that several of our neighbors have been having problems and signed up with them for service. He was out drumming up business in a market 2 hours away from the Denver office. One of the service techs show up 5 hours earlier than scheduled because he didn't want to be inconvienced by getting home late in the day. Don't market yourselves in an area that's going to be a problem for your employees! Twice we had services scheduled, but the service tech never showed up. We've had the service techs call to schedule the service 5 minutes before showing up. It took 7 months before we got on any kind of regular schedule. We've had two different service techs show up within one week of each other for our 'regularly schedule service'.

The biggest issue I've had with the entire service is that we had a black widow infestation in our basement. They sprayed outside and in the basement. The black widows then migrated upstairs to our main living area. We finally got the situation under control by going to Walmart, purchasing $24 worth of Raid bug bombs, and spending the weekend in our camper. When I explained the history of our problems with the company to the newest service tech that showed up on our doorstep, his comment was "Now that you've taken care of the situation, our products will keep things under control." Why did we need them in the first place, at $80 every other month?

I am looking forward to our final treatment at the end of July when I never had to deal with this company again!!!

anon Jun 05, 2008

Has anybody ever looked into these issues with a good lawyer? It doesn't matter how tight of a contract somebody writes there's always loop hole too sue. Also somebody talked about small print... just for your information small print does not hold up in court.

• De
    Dennis M. Jun 07, 2008

I frequent these complaint boards for a lot of the services that I receive, and one thing that always gets me is the "I'm the victim" attitude that so many people seem to have. I have had different pest control companies service my home, and don't really have anything negative to say about any of them. So far, Pointe has been satisfactory, and has cost me less then the others that I was using.
    I am not positive, but I believe that they have been in business for a few years, and after looking on the BBB I see that they have a satisfactory rating with only one complaint in all that time. Even on this silly complaint board, I see that there are 6 total in all that time. I don't know how many customers they have, but I would assume it's a fair amount being a national company.
    I guess that there will alway be the 1% that will not be pleased with anything. I really don't understand what is so complicated about a service like pest control or lawn care, etc. It seems like an everyday thing, if you have bugs they come and kill them...end of story. A contract constitutes a victim? Please. Then you have people talking about taking them to court and getting all of the money they can out of them? Now that right there is true character.

• Je
    Jean Miller Jun 09, 2008

Don't trust 'em! The Chicago office is owned by Jared and Kyle primarily! The Corp office in Utah owns the branch with them too! These guys are very skilled in Sales! They sell sell sell!! They will say whatever you want to hear to make the sale and to keep you from cancelling the contract. They Lie Lie Lie!!! The sales reps are young kids with little or no pest control experience. They have been trained by sales professionals to SELL SELL SELL! Not to solve pest problems.

The new Branch Manager, Dave is a slime!! Do NOT trust him for anything. He is as bad if not worse than the Jared and Kyle.

Don't trust them to be "GREEN" either. Thats what they claim to sell & service. They are NOT GREEN! They insist that Delta Dust be applied EVERY SINGLE TIME A SERVICE IS PERFORMED. Delta Dust is a product that is good if used properly to control lots of pest problems. It has a resisdual of 8 months to a year! If you keep applying it you will get OVER APPLICATION. This can be BAD for you and your home. AND its illegal! Call the Illinois Dept of Public Health. They'll tell you. Pointes efforts over application is an honest effort to "provide good service". But their lack of knowledge is where they are wrong.

I was trained by Smithereen and Orkin. Both Companies have been doing business for 115 years! Both have Top Notch Training Programs that are recognized by leading Manufacturers and Public Health and Safety organisations. Jared, Kyle & Pointe have been doing business for a few years and primarily in a SALES capacity. They don't care about the safety and "green" stuff. From MY experience they only care about the $ale$ and making it look like the customer is getting something for the money! Its their egos and the $$$ get in the way of doing the right thing.

Call Orkin or Smithereen!! Or any other company for that matter! You will get what you pay for and they have reputations for quality customer service. Pointe is THE WORST employer I have ever worked for!

• Me
    Melanie Jun 14, 2008

I have been a customer with Pointe Pest Control in the Middlesex, MA area for just over a year now and I have never had any of the problems listed on this complaints board. I have always felt that Pointe has treated me fair and honestly and I highly recommend them to all of my neighbors for getting rid of those pesky pests. I came on here to read some of the complaints because my sister-in-law sent me the link... she ran across it while deciding whether or not she wanted to get the service. From my experience, and those of my friends, Pointe Pest Control is just as good as any pest control company out there… if not better! I decided to go with them because I had been with Orkin a few months earlier and my contract with them had expired & I found that Pointe was a lot less expensive. They have honestly been great and I really like that they offer the unlimited re-services at no extra cost… I have not needed this yet, but it’s nice to know that it is available if I was to need it.

• Wa
    Wayne D Smith Jun 14, 2008

I agree the Pointe sales reps are aggressive. What sales team isn’t? How is one going to sell if they are not aggressive in the sales strategy? I needed pest control service and yes they were aggressive but I own a company and teach my sales team to get 3 no’s before stopping! After getting the service for over 2 weeks I decided to google Pointe and was surprised by the complaints! My wife can now go outside without being bitten by mosquitoes in our yard with our kids! Thank you sales team for never giving up.

• Bi
    Bill Jun 14, 2008

We just had our second service appointment with Pointe Pest Control this week and I have to tell you, since we signed up with them I have seen hardly any bugs whatsoever! Our technician is a super chill guy, and I’m just really satisfied with the job he does. Before Pointe we had tons of spider webs up in the eves and shutters and now there are none. He's always careful to sweep them down and I’m just really glad I went ahead and signed up when the route manager/sales rep came to my door!

• Ti
    Tim-E Jun 14, 2008

I had the opportunity to ask the sales rep many questions about the products that they use. I was also able to ask him about how they apply it to each home. After hearing everything that I needed to, I decided to go forward with it, despite being with another company for a number of years. This was due mostly to the lower cost.

After 2 treatments on the home I soon realized that whatever they were doing or using was if fact not near as good as my previous company. I was getting bugs in my home after years of this not happening. I called the number on my contract, and spoke to the head of that particular branch. Alan informed me that I had been misinformed, but that he was unwilling to do anything about it despite his open admission of the wrong.

I don't desire to tear this company down. I believe that they are decent, and that you get what you pay for with the lower price. I feel that it will be more than worth the extra 10 dollars per treatment that I was paying for, if it means that I can go back to not having bugs. I would encourage their salesmen to tell the truth, or at least make an effort to know what you are talking about before you vouch for something. I understand that selling is how you make a living obviously, but treat your customers as though you were in their place and apply the golden rule.

PestPro Dude Jun 17, 2018

@Tim-E Your experience reminds me of the old adage, "you get what you pay for". It is not uncommon for people to price shop and go with the lowest cost, only to later realize that they should've stayed with the "more expensive" product or service.

truth005 Jun 16, 2008

They are running this business like a scam. one sales person came to my office and start explaining that all my neighbours are using their services and they are giving some big discounts. When i confirmed with my neighbour. It was totally false.
    Usually, I work from home so i was busy in my office work. i did not read the document completely and signed it. now after 1 service. nothing got changed..still we are seeing spiders..ants..and bugs...I called them to cancel the services. They need 260$ for cancellation penalty. I am disturbed and totaly screwd up..They are saying everyone has to pay 60% pre-cancellation penalty. What should I do now..Please suggest ?

Its my advise to you that do not use this company services.

truth005 Jun 16, 2008

BTW, I am based in chicago. Can we talk to lawyer about this kind of unethical business practices. They just need money and do not now show any results. I will NOT recommend anyone to use this company.

• Do
    Dorothy Jun 17, 2008

I just had a rep at my door. He was somewhat aggressive in his approach to sell his product. I got the feeling that he didn't want me to think just sign on the dotted line. I told him to give me his card so I could get back with him. He didn't have one. What about a pamphlet or infor sheet? No. Only Contracts and appointments' schedules. I told him I needed something to check the company out before signing. Nothing. O.k., Come back in twenty minutes. Give me enough time to check you out on the web. He hasn't been back. But if he does, No is my answer. Thanks for the responses.

• Di
    Diggity Jun 17, 2008

I do agree that my initial experience with the Pointe "door to door" rep was a bit aggressive. They are commissioned sales people and their job is to convince people to purchase their services. Everyone that I've dealt with from Pointe has been very informative and professional. I did read the contract before I signed it. I probably would not have but the sales rep insisted that I understood the terms before I signed. There was no small print. There are 5 out of 8 houses on our street that are serviced monthly by Pointe. None of them have complaints. I'm completely happy with my service. I'm have not been under contract with Point for over 6 months but will continue to use them.

• Ot
    other sources Jun 19, 2008

This board can get pretty negative at times. Here are all thier reviews through servicemagic.com http://www.servicemagic.com/rfs/serviceprofessional/xmprofile/xmCustomerRatings.jsp?XM_SP_ID=11101353

I cant imagine any past employees that were let go being very partial if they were fired for performance reasons.

• Ke
    Kelly Jun 30, 2008

I just signed up with them as we have a horrible problem with black widows this year. The technician that came out was fabulous, and he showed me all of the black widows that came out to die and he also dusted off all the webs on the exterior of my house. For us, the sales person was very patient, answered our questions and even reluctantly signed us off for a one time offer with a possibility of continuing service based on their discounted rate. Well, after seeing all those dead black widows, I'm sold. As for the one year contract, a contract is a contract, and it is binding, and I highly suggest you read the contract instead of just signing blindly. Hey, I work in a line of business with people signing contracts all the time, and can I tell you, people do not read it. And it is a shame. How many people read their morgage contract when it is possibly the biggest financial liability you will ever have? Probably about 1% of the population.

• Mi
    mingna xue Jul 12, 2008

July 12, 2008
    I decided to cancel the service scheduled next Monday after I read the complaints on complaintsboard.com. It sounds very scary that people had to spend energy to even deal with them. Thanks for your advice.
    I told Tony, the guy who came last Thurday night, that I would check out their company first. I want to see if they will still try to bill me.
    Mingna

truth005 Jul 13, 2008

Folks,

I am true victim of Pointe Pest Control and had horrible experience dealing with this company. Yesterday they charged 75$ again on my card for some cancellation charge.
    some guys who are pasting +ve comments may be their paid resource.

My advice is that try to avoid this kind of problematic companies.
    no-one has time and energy to fight with them. we All are busy in our own lives.

I hope this will help

Thanks
    Syed

• Sy
    Syed lied Jul 15, 2008

Syed,

To let you know, I am an Orkin sales rep. I have been working for them for the past 3 years. If you have time to come in and write multiple complaints about Pointe, I would suggest to readers that you are a paid complainer by other pest control companies. Out of the 200, 000 accounts Pointe has, yeh, there's going to be one to five percent which are unhappy with their service. Check out Orkin's ratings. You will find a very similar number.

Orkin is a great company. I know many people who have Pointe and think that it is a great company. To those looking to sign up with Pointe, don't let someone like Syed make your decision. Let Syed come to complaintboard.com on a daily basis to spit out his daily dose of lies.

• Ni
    Nik Jul 16, 2008

Consumers:
    I was notified yesterday that a potential customer of Pointe Pest Control was influenced by this complaint board. He decided not to use us because of the negative comments made. This is very frustrating to me as a manager. I put in 12 hours of work every day to keep my customers satisfied. I truly care about each and every one of them. Obviously running a service business you are going have some complaints now and then. I promise you that I and every other manager take them very seriously. We try to resolve them to the best of our ability, in an efficient manner. I also promise you that if you use our service you will get the very best in the industry. It is our #1 goal and we strive to achieve it every day. We use the best products on the market to treat you homes. All of my technicians are licensed by the state of California and go through a extensive training process before they start treating homes. I urge you to not base your decision a small % of complaints, real or not. Make an educated purchase. Our company Guarantees all services. Take advantage of that. If you are having problems contact your local branch. I promise they will do whatever they can to solve the issues.

• Ka
    Kathy Ravera Jul 16, 2008

I checked this blog a few days ago when a sales person came to my door. I almost didn’t sign up with Pointe because of the negative comments. I am glad that I did because I received the best service I have ever gotten. I live in the bay area and my technicians name was Mark. He was so helpful with any question that I had and he helped me understand what they were using and why. I would recommend Pointe to all of my friends and family because they were so helpful and nice. The sales person was a little pushy but I realize that it is his job and I am glad he was. Thanks Pointe

• Ra
    Raymond Aig Jul 17, 2008

COME ON PEOPLE POINTE REMAINS THE BEST WITH WELL DRESSED TECHS WHO LOOK LIKE MODELS. I'VE BEEN WITH THIS COMPANY FOR OVER A YEAR I LOVE MY TECH. HE IS COOL CARING, AND DOES AWESOME JOB. SOME OF THESE PEOPLE COMPLAINING JUST DO NOT KNOW HOW TO LIE. I GUESS SOME PEOPLE JUST WANT TO GET EVERYTHING FOR FREE.

PestscamWatch Jul 27, 2008

Hi everyone

I worked for Pointe. I really liked the company over all. I left not because I was fired but because of the inefficiency and lack of appreciation. I do not take it personally I just consider the branch I worked for a poor match for me. One former technician stated they excel at sales, business, and strive at customer service but they are in desperate need of the technical know how to solve a pest problem. I’ve seen to many illegal applications occur by unknowing technicians in a genuine caring attempt to solve your pest problems. The least experience of the bunch is the management at the local level and Corporate. Corporate if you read this. Selling pest control for X years does not make you knowledgeable. Nor does owning a branch and having others manage it. Having taken training classes does not make you knowledgeable. Being out in the field observing and putting to practice what you learned in books does. Seeing what works and what doesn’t is the only way. Hire experienced people and listen to at each branch or hire independent consultants for the technical side of the business. You have a great business which may be ruined by liability suits, Department of agriculture investigations otherwise or lost business when new sales fail to keep up with lost business due to failure to retain customers and having knocked on every door in every major market.

The sales- Sales people will be sales people. The branches will try their hardest to please you. However the some salesmen and women are loose cannons and are allowed to to sell just about anything even if the treatment violates their license limitations. The company needs to place restrictions on what they offer or place call’s from the office ensuring you the customers know what you’re signing up for. The sales person will tell you what you want to hear in order to get you to sign on the dotted line. Most of the sales reps are really good people. It’s sad to see the well intentioned sale person not do as well as the slime ball who lies because he or she has integrity.

Contracts- Its weak contract and but does state the service guaranty “we will refund your money if we fail to resolve your problem” Use it! I suggest allowing the technicians to keep trying to solve the problem. I also recommend not chewing out the tech. He’s the only one trying to solve your pest problem and if you take it on the tech he or she is less likely to do a good job because the tech will want to get away from you as quickly as possible. If you really want out of your contract and you provided them with your credit card number Cancel the card! First give them a chance to correct the situation. Pest control companies seldom turn customers in to collections out of fear of you bad mouthing them to all your neighbors and friends who will tell their neighbors and friends. If they send you to collections find a lawyer willing to do a class action. The threat alone may stop the “aggressive” sales tactics.

Service- Not only do they excel at sales. They do in service also especially if they can ever make their routes more efficient so the tech isn’t driving two hours each away out of his way to take care of the customer. In my area they raised the standard in service. Now most of the bigger companies are returning to the standard which made them grow in the first place. As I stated above, everyone from the management to the technicians lack training but they really do try hard. An example of this would be the previous post mentioning the product called delta dust. It’s a dust…it drifts, it’s longer lasting than sprays on the exterior which breaks down when exposed to ultra violet light, heat, and soil conditions. I wouldn’t want to be breathing it in if I were you. I also attended a class for Pointe for red imported fire ants. We do not have them in my area and is as likely to occur as Africanized killer bees would be in Alaska!!! Why not learn something specific in accordance with the demographic distribution of these insects?

I agree with the eclipse/orkin/pointe rep claiming the complaints are a small percentage of the company as a whole. He implied five percent. I’d guess less than a half of a percent are not happy. He called Syed a liar when Pointe does not have 200, 000 Customers. That would mean most of your branches would have 10, 000 customers each and being serviced by inexperienced staff? Scarey thought my friend. Its arrogant of you to suggest the complaints here are paid for by competing pest control companies. I think these complaints are how the customer feels. Try empathizing instead of defending the service you embellished and sold. Stop selling to those types of customers you know complain the most. If you know anything about pest control you know what I am talking about.
    Another person suggested reading the postings at service magic which is a paid lead generation service by Pointe. Anyone can fill out a review including pointe employee’s.
    All a competing company has to do to injure Pointe’s business is lure away a couple of employee’s to investigate the service methods and turn them into the various regulatory authorities which apply. Do not tempt me with a smart alec response.

Nik, the manager sounds sincere goes with what I’m suggesting pertaining to them striving at service. However Nik, a weak/week in duration ride along with someone isn’t good enough to qualify as “extensive” training. Licensed only means licensed to learn legally on your own.

Best dressed pretty boys? What does that have to do with preventing insects? I could always tell who was getting to the root of the pest problem by how clean their clothes are at the end of the day. If a pretty boy came to service my house mid day or later I'd watch him work but not for the same reasons you do Raymond.

• Ra
    Randal Jul 30, 2008

As any other consumer, I wanted to know more about Pointe pest control. I had seen the truck in my neighborhood quite a bit, but I never knew much about it until a sales rep came to my door. He was very knowledgable about the service, and extremely patient. He even walked around my home with me helping me understand what they do exactly. I signed up just off the words of the sales rep. I have been serviced 3 times now and extremely happy.

I don't understand some of the complaints ive seen on here. I have a contract with directv and havent been happy with my service, I can cancel for a 400.00 cancelation fee, but I signed the contract and must uphold my end of the deal. Thats how a CONTRACT works. Take advantage of those free services and stop complaining. I do beleive pointe pest control is the fastest growing pest control company in the united states.

PestscamWatch Jul 31, 2008

Randal, not everyone is perfect like you and reads the fine print or some peopel are trusting and believe everything they are told. Sure the rep is knowledgeable about pest but that is compared to YOU. Like you said, he knows about the standard service. "we are going to treat your x, y.z" Some reps embellish the service or even flat out lie about the service. I know first hand because I have performed hundreds of initial services. The initial service is the first service performed after you sign up. I also review the contract with you to ensure you know what you are signing up for. While the contract is black and white. Its the verbal promises I believe some people are not happy with. I'd show up and hear things such as "after the first treatment I was told I wont see a single insect ever again" or "the salesmen said after a year of service I will not see any insects for five years". That is just an example of the countless stories reps will make up. I could go on all day about the lie's or misinformation provided by reps.

Randal mentioned its a contract. I suggest reading the contract and getting the promises such as "you wont see an insect for five years" in writing. If you are told you will not see an insect after the first treatment get it in writing. Anything not listed in the contract such as we will POISON the inside of your house, attic, second story eaves and garage, yard, and plants every time we come out get it in writing by having them include it in an addendum to the contract which the sales person will not have since the company doesn't use them. Instead you will be told about their service guaranty. That will not be good enough if the reason you signed up is because of the promises made. I also suggest comparison shopping. You do it with everything else right? I recommend talking to several local small company and asking questions. I suggest a local small company because if you call a national you'll receive a sales person.

Randal regarding your direct tv contract. If you signed up for 300 channels and only received ten channels despite repeated attempts rectify the problem. You'd be here ### too right?

Fastest growing pest control company because of the forementioned slimey sales people making a killing and opening up Pointe pest control franchises?

I recommend pointe for bed bugs and Restaurants. They about the only company that would spray your mattress or food equiptment. Other Companies wouldn't be likely to do so. It's a great company but as I stated before lack of technical knowledge and they dont do enough to restrain the few shady sales people they have.

If any pointe pest control employee's read this can you answer how one applies contract blox (rodent bait) with a syringe? Do you live trap the rats or mice then inject them? How do you melt the wax and what gauge are you using to inject them? It must be a really big needle in order to get the seed's to pass through. I am refferring to the msds/label link on your company's homepage. Just curious:-)

• Ni
    Nik Jul 31, 2008

Mr. Bug guy,
    I don’t have a clue who you are. I am a Branch Manager with Pointe Pest Control. My Name I Nik and I manage the East Bay, California office. You must have some kind of problem with Pointe to take so much time to smear our company. I don’t know who you worked for but in my office every technician has a Branch 2 license and has received at least 3 weeks on the job training with my service manager or lead technician. California on requires only 40 hours. That must be that one week that you are talking about. Every week we have service meetings where we go over problems and training. Once a month we bring in a teacher from one of our supply companies to train us on a specific pest. I have a manager in my office who does random quality control inspections of services. All in all I think that we are tops in the industry for customer service. Who are you? I stand by my company and my position. In my first blog I stated my name. I don’t have to hide behind a just a bug guy. What yours? Stand by your reputation. I do and I will defend it, as well as the reputation of my company. If you would like to talk or have any questions answered please call me. The number is in the book.

PestscamWatch Aug 02, 2008

Nik,

I stated some positive things about your company. Nik, my intuition tells me you're a good guy striving to do the best. However, You chose to only look at the negative comments I made. I think the customer service at Pointe is amongst the best in any industry and especially pest control. From a business stand point the sales are the best. I stated Pointe's presence in my area raised the standard on the customer service side of the business. I've watched the giant companies improve their customer standard because of the competion. When a pointe employee/eclipse rep estimated a five percent disatisfaction rate. I guessed it to be less than a half of a percent. How's that smearing Pointe?

I really enjoyed your company's culture, sales, the emphasis on customer service and best of all the employee's. .I am not smearing Pointe. Any individual or entity can use improvement right? I'm experianced in pest control. My family is in the business and has been for many of years. . . I learned nothing new about pest control or pests from your company but I did learn a lot about customer service and sales. Any institution has liars right or misinformed people right? Your's does also. Just because most the people at your company are well intentioned and want to make a buck doesnt make certain things which are wrong moral, ethical, or legal.

It doesnt matter who I am. I know you can tell I know enough specifics I know what I am talking about. The reason for me remaining anonymous is because I might return to Pointe if the company ever corrects what I see wrong. You're fortunate as well as your customers are that California's testing standards are tougher than the rest of the States. It has forced you and your tech's to learn more, be more label and saftey conscious. But as a whole the rest of the Branches outside of California could use the help from the agencies which enforce the laws pertaining to pest control. You mentioned the people your company brings in to train. They're vendors pushing their products! A BASF rep is going to push the use of his product. That is why I mentioned independent consultants or simply hiring highly experianced yet adaptable people within your company. Not everyone learns by books in fact most cant conceptualize pest control from pictures and a book or lectures. Having your techs out in the field with someone experianced outside of eclipse points or people who spun off from them in conjunction with the classes. I know this because I ve seen the "oh now I get it" look on many techs faces when I ve showed them out in the field. This is the insect we learned about in that class. This is them in the X life cycle. This is that species of ant we learned about. This is a vole burrow not a mouse. etc etc etc. I'm probably too idealistic but a balance of hands on training with both the expert tech and the fake smile and webster brush master techs so a new tech and learn the big picture. That's just on the battle field dont get me started at the office/admin clear up to the corporate side of things:-)

The reason I bring this stuff up is because I came on this board and saw some of pest control customers complaining and getting bashed by Pointe employees and or employees posing as satisfied customer. for being concerned about what they were sold rather than empathized or anyone addressing their concerns.

I know customers make stuff up but I also know the majority of my customers that werent happy was because of the verbal sales promises. You know what I am talking about. You're a brach manager and you have to deal with rectifying these things every day. I also saw a former employee angry. Sure he's angry about something but he brought up something legitimate the over use/misuse of dust. I dont have to work at your branch or Chicago to know its true because it's pretty much part of the standard started by Blake. Now its Termidor at every initial service and use of it in powersprayers according to your companies webpage. You dont do termites) so why? Would you like to see correspondance between myself and known vetrans 30+ years of expierance, various titles and degrees from entomology to toxicology and see what they have to say about it? I can make it happen if you'd like to see.

I am not bashing you or pointe. This has turned from a consumer reporting site message board to what appears to be bashing. I agree with posting non-filtered comments should occur so one can see specific complaints and share it and relate their experiance. The BBB doesnt share enough information and after all you're the one's paying them not the consumer.

If you'd like to keep what you see as negative comments email me rather than responding on this board. What's a can of nemotodes?

Bug guy

• Un
    Unknown Aug 02, 2008

I am a long time customer of the chicago based pointe office. When I signed up the nice young man explained to me the company was new to the area and was trying to build a customer base. I agreed to a 7 service treatment. I have been with them about 2 yrs now But earlier this year I almost cancelled because my tech Bruce just sat in my driveway talking on his cell phone. This service was suppossed to be just for my exterior. He left his car once only to put a invoice on my door. What a slime to do that to a loyal customer. Luckly when I called the branch to complain the nice young man made sure I was not charged for the service and assured me that bruce would never step foot on my property again as he was going to be let go for poor service and multiple customer complaints. That shows me that they do care for their customers. I could not be any happier with this compan.

• Bu
    buggy Aug 04, 2008

It seems to me that this board is just a bunch of people trying to sell there wares. They have planted these blog posts saying how well pointe is to cover up how awful they really are. Shame on You!!!

• Po
    PO'd at Pointe Aug 05, 2008

I agree with most of these post so far that Pointe Pest Control does a great job selling their services. For the most part they appeared to be doing a decent job of controlling insects at first within my house, until they stopped showing up that is. I now have to deal with the Chicago office regarding a billing dispute for their services not rendered. I will keep this post updated with the results for all to see if another Pointe Pest Control customer was treated honestly and fairly or not...

PestscamWatch Aug 10, 2008

Thought so . . .

pest guy Aug 12, 2008

I worked for Terminix for over 10 years before getting fed up with everything and quit. Now I work for Pointe Pest Control here in Chicago. I also have over 5 coworkers who also left Terminix and came to Pointe. The training, equipment, expectations, and customer service are superior here at Pointe than the other company I worked for. I can tell the managers here actually care about the customer and performing an excellent service. Not everything here in my branch is perfect, but I feel much better about the service I provide than I ever have before. I plan on staying here for a long time.

• Bu
    Bug man Sep 09, 2008

Pointe pest control is a bunch of sell outs. They just sold out to Terminix. Yuck.. Terminix is the worst company in the world. The only thing the owners of Pointe wanted to do was make a little money in their pocket. They do not care about the people that work for them. Soem people will lose their jobs and that sucks. Especially in the economy we are in. Thanks Pointe for nothing...