Pointe Pest Control — Aggressive sales tactics

Pointe Pest Control
www.pointepestcontrol.com

We had signed up for a pest control service with Pointe Pest Control. It was for multiple applications over a year. The work was to be done inside and out. These guys would just do the out side stating that no one answered the call. When we wanted to cancel they said the following which we were never made aware of:

1. The cancellation will have to be in writing

2. There would be an early cancellation service

3. The contract renews year after year and if you don't cancel in time - you are charged an early cancellation fee.

After we sent in the letter, they continued to call and state that they were scheduling work. The person we spoke with (Nancy) was extremely rude and unprofessional with a major attitude.

The work that they did was never verified if they actually did do the application. We never saw any difference.

• Fr
    Frank Enderle Apr 19, 2021

I had a Pointe Pest Control rep ring my bell in Portland, OR tonight...with the bell located right beneath a NO SOLICITATION sign. The rep told me that her boss instructed her to ignore any such signs and ring the bell anyway. She claimed that some of my neighbors were using Pointe, but could not identify any of them by name. I chased her away. What a business model. Total disrespect to homeowners who want to avoid cold callers.

Marsha Iddings Jun 22, 2016

Pointe Pest Control is in our neighborhood now. They came to my door despite the fact that I have a no soliciting sign at eye level on my door. They proceeded to give their speech. He initially told us the people across the street were going to use the service, but later in the conversation he asked what their name was! We have another Weed & Pest Company coming out soon to do our weeds in the back and if we want pest control we will have them do it. We explained this to the salesperson. He completely ignored my husband and continued to put the pressure on for him to accept his service all the while staring all around the eves of the house like the place was ready to fall down on his head. My husband again said no, we do not need your services and the sales person continued to put the pressure on. The man would not take NO for an answer! Finally my husband said, "No thank you" and closed the door in his face.

Now I see them across the street talking to the neighbor who they said was going to use their services, whose name they did not even know. I should think she signed a contract. The guy must have amnesia.

charlesgoo Oct 16, 2014

I worked for Pointe as a technician. They don't just scam their customers they also scam their employees. I was promised a certain amount of money and was not paid not even half the amount. I was shmoozed into working for them and promised a bunch of benefits and bonuses, non of which I received. The sales reps that I worked for were allowed to tell the customers anything they wanted, and when I came to the customers house I had to deal with the disappointment and frustrations. I had a checklist to review with the customer that the sales rep should've talked about before signing the contract. The technicians and office workers are treated very unfairly in comparison to the sales reps. That's probably why when you call you get attitude because any complaints get thrown on the office workers and techs and not the management or sales reps. This company is a scam. If a sales guy comes to your house say no and shut your door. Don't listen to a thing he says. He will promise you all sorts of things, and make the package sound to go to be true. When in reality it is. I am very disappointed and frustrated with my experience with Pointe. I wouldn't recommend this service or company to anyone, even people I don't like.

• Br
    BradleyD Jul 02, 2014

Point is terrible. They billed us for work that they never performed. Then fought us over the bill. This seems like an unscrupulous company.
    Their "sales" people seem like apples from the same tree. Sales people who aggressively make you feel bad? That's no wining strategy in my book.

• Ba
    BadDeals Mar 09, 2012

There contracts are bogus! They use high pressure tactics to sell the service, and are NOT CLEAR that you can not cancel it without paying an outrageous cancellation fee. Buyers beware, this is no deal!!! Will file my complaint today!

• De
    Defrauded by Pointe Pest Control Dec 24, 2011

Be sure to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. Pointe Pest Control lost their BBB accreditation due to a large number of complaints being filed by consumers: http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/pest-control-services/pointe-pest-control-in-west-chicago-il-88019857 The Consumer Protection Agency is also aware of their fraudulent practices. The key is the volume of complaints. You must go online and file your complaints to ensure this company is taken out of business and stops defrauding customers.

Eric O'Malley Dec 12, 2011

I've had a similar, very negative experience with Pointe Pest Control out of West Chicago, IL. When I joined, I asked to be notified prior to each service call, due to my busy schedule. Last week, I came home to a bill for $105 worth of service on my door, but did not receive any call or voice mail notifying me that service would occur. When I called the office and explained this confusion, I received a stand-offish reply from the manager that they did call and it was their policy to go ahead with service--we could always schedule a follow-up to do the inside of the house. I explained this was not what I agreed to. Since I'm not to use to this type of customer service, I said this would be my last service and that I wanted to cancel any future ones. I was then told in a defense manner that there would be a $150 early cancellation fee. This was like adding insult to injury, since the reason I felt compelled to cancel was because of their inconvenient service style and poor customer service response. As I explained how poor this way of providing customer service was, the manager proceeded to get more and more hostile with me until he actually hung-up on me! Utterly amazed at this response, I called back to explain my extreme dissatisfaction and unhappiness with being treating so shabbily and wanted to talk to the company owner. The defensive manager cut me off, telling me that to end this once and for all, he would cancel my service without a fee and that would be that (saying it in a condescending and terse manner). I told him to send me a letter stating as much.
    I've never, never dealt with a more unprofessional company without any regard for what customer service actually means. They appear to treat customers with utter contempt and with no respect or consideration. I would advise anyone who cares about good, honest service would do wise to steer clear of Pointe Pest Control. I'm sure there are plenty of other exterminators that will be happy to give me better service for my money.

• Ri
    Rich55 Dec 09, 2011

I signed up for service for the year and as a landlord booked every single appointment. After the service was over Pointe showed up one morning on their own, without my consent, and billed me for an extra treatment. My tenant didn't question it because he thought I had scheduled the appointment. The manager swears that my tenant was the one that called and scheduled the appointment. I have a really hard time trusting this company and will not recommend them to anyone.

• Ti
    Tiberry Nov 03, 2011

SCAM/FRAUD - DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!

• Kk
    KKildeer Sep 20, 2011

Oh my God! The same thing happened to me! What a bunch of con artists!!! They are now trying to charge me for services they NEVER provided!!! They sent my account to collections!!! For something they NEVER did!!! I'm glad I found this site. I'll print all the feedback and send it along to the collections agency and to court if needed. DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!!

• Do
    dogbnr May 19, 2011

I'm hoping to have a better experience. My best friends are attorneys so any shenanigans will be gleefully handled by them. The first visit is today and I'll be sure to post my experience.

yoyohello Dec 18, 2010

I had to quit selling because what I was told the product was the opposite of what it really was. I would follow up with customers to verify good business practices and research the ubiquitous and terrifying "wolf spider" the wanted me to sell. I felt guilty for selling:
    1. a fake monster
    2. a fake contract
    3. a fake service
    4. a fake name
    I really hope that this type of business practice does not prosper and good will wins evil. Don't ever get caught up in something dishonest.

I had

asdfsadfasdfasdf

• Fo
    fo_sho Jul 13, 2009

Obviously BugGirl, you don't know what you are talking about. 'One more inside Bug Guy, " neither do you. Green is not Pointe. Pointe sold its customers to Terminex. Aaron bought the Chicago office. Aaron owns Green. Green was in competition with Pointe last year so how is it Pointe recreated. Ge your facts straight.

• La
    Lake Area Jul 03, 2009

I agree, they claimed they did the job, however, we never saw them, not even a call to schedule the service like they did for the first service. Invoices are always on time ;-)

BugGirl Jul 02, 2009

This company had a F rating by the Better Business Bureau in Denver. Now they've rebranded as "Green Pest Services."

Sales people are using the similar tactics as they did under Pointe but add that they're the only company providing "Green" pest control. That's outright FALSE. PestRite has been providing green services for more than 20 years in Colorado, long before it was trendy, and a quick Google search will reveal others.

• On
    One more inside bug guy May 19, 2009

Just A Bug Guy...you obviously have many years of experience, and by some of the names you mentioned, and the way you speak in a very precise and mature fashion, I do believe I know who you are. I hope I get the chance to run into you again, as pending you are who I think you are (DR??) I had the highest respect for you.

I was a non-rehireable former Terminex employee, as well as another employee who were both told we had been promised jobs. This was made as a very clear point since we both were scared of losing our jobs because of our former employment at the big T. I was told to go home, we will not hire you. The other guy was hired on for 3 weeks and then let go. They got rid of everyone in short order.

Pointe had potential to be great, but as has been stated by those in the know here, it was a severe lack of preperation and the poorest of upper management that killed the company.

For people who had paper-hangers (guys who show up do nothing and leave a ticket) you should hold THAT employee accountable, not the company as a whole. There were good guys, great guys, and horrible ones, just like ANY business. The better ones got a tarnished rep because of a few bad apples. My customers were well taken care of, and the only big complaints I got were from people I refused to let tell me how to do my job (meaning asking me to perform useless tasks or illegal). There were some people in my old office who really tried, and wanted to have the type of training and experience available to make everyone excel but you have to understand these ideas were always shot down. The "owners" of the branches could honestly care less about the techs and had no problem stating this. The majority also had little regard for the law. One former employee (just a bug guy??) was amazed when an owner had no problem admitting he had instructed an employee to keep doing what he was told until they got caught and THEN do things properly.

I hate what Pointe did for our industry, and its going to be very hard for other door knocking companies to gain business the next few years until the rotten taste of Pointe is gone from the publics mouth. BTW - Green Pest Control, a new D2D company, is Pointe recreated. Some of the former owners who were proud of their bad business practices are at the helm again and ready to over promise and under deliver in a few towns near you this year.

no ants May 06, 2009

I just had Pointe come out a week ago for ants in my home. They found the huge nest outside in my mulch and took care of the problem inside as well. They called to follow up a few days ago and I was happy to say I hadn't seen another ant since they left. I was very happy with their prompt service, professionalism and knowledge of my problem. I would recommend them to my friends.

• St
    still in the know Apr 30, 2009

This is very typical of them, the sad thing is the owners Kyle and Jared dont care at all. Just wait because they plan on having a price increase without notifying any of the customers. Great buisness move there in this bad economy.They will also be changing their name probably something like Green Pointe..They are far from being a green company. Their employees are dropping like flies because they are tired of being treated like crap. If I was you I would contact the BBB and also contact the I.D.P.H and let them know they are falsefying paperwork. They take it very seriously and will most likely suprise them with a inspection. The best thing that could happen to Chicago is these bottom feeders move back to where ever it is they are from and Pointe goes out of buisness...

• Ou
    outrageous Apr 16, 2009

I had exactly the same kind of experience. They showed up for only a couple minutes while my father was watching through the window from inside the house. They literally did nothing but sprayed the front door only and left. Charging $80 per visit like this is outrageous!

Bug man Dec 21, 2008

Get ready people Pointe will be coming by your home and throwing out some granules. And yes they will put it on top of the snow. They will try to convince you this is effective to kill off bugs this upcoming spring. Its a load of crap trust me. This is not an effective treatment at all. I will say that insects do not just die off in the winter, they do go dormant and will re emerge in the spring. But ask your self this if they have been doing such a good job throughout the season why do you still have bugs. Jared the owner has informed all techs to use less granules this winter to save money on materials. Spot treating a home in the winter in the snow with granules is a waste of time. Don't be fooled by their lies to get your money its all just a hoax. Companies like Pointe truly only care about one thing, building a customer base a fast as possible and than selling your contract to someone. They really give the pest control industry a bad name. There will be more companies like this coming this summer beware. Go with a company that does not make you sign a contract. If you research this board you will see Pointe has the most complaints. There is a reason for that. They have also had tons of complaints on the BBB. Buyer beware dont be surprised to see something about this company on the news and how poorly they treat customers.

Bug man Dec 11, 2008

I just want to say that I cant stand guys who talk behind your back. Every time some one quits the owners bad mouth them. I guess they are not men enough to say it to their faces. This is a show of weakness. The guys that run this company are slimes. I warn people to stay awat from them. You dont want to work at Pointe or want to take their service. I wish these guys would just go away. They really do give pest control a bad name. Cowards...

Bug man Nov 26, 2008

Yes it is a scam. Trust me they do it all the time. And if you dont pay it they will send you to collections. They probably treated the exterior with granulars. I am in the pest industry and I will tell you honestly you do not need service in the winter months at all. Unless you have a rodent problem, otherwise its not needed. Do yourself a favor and cxl your contract if you have fullfilled it already. These guys dont care about you, they dont care about the pest industry they just care about money money money. They prey on anyone . Warn people in your neighbor hood not to use them. Find a new company that has been around for awile. Report them to the BBB.

ernest garza Nov 25, 2008

this is a bad co. its all a scam.

ernest garza Nov 25, 2008

i have the same problem they come over withuot calling and place a bill on your door. andleave. its a scam

Bug man Nov 23, 2008

I would love to know more about this guy Aaron??? Didnt he help Terminix buy out Pointe??? Now he is working as a partner at Pointe??? Wonder if Eclipse knows of this? I will be sure to inform them in case they didnt know.

Bug man Nov 22, 2008

I feel your pain brother. Its every ones dream to own their own buisness. The ones that work hard at it make it. The ones that hire people to delagate to fail. To have a succesful buisness it sometimes takes 10-15 years of blood and sweat. Does not sound to me like these ownwers like to work very hard. They just want sit around and brag about being buisness owners. I have some news for them. To own a buisness there needs to be a net gain profit. I am sure these guys have loans that need to be paid off. In this economy its going to be hard to retain customers. My advice to you is to get a job with a well established firm. I see Pointe has been around for 3 yrs. It will be intretsting to see if they are still around in another 2-3 yrs. Do whats best for you. I am sure thats what the owners are doing for themselves. After reading the above post is sounds to me like they are preparing to sell. They get rid of the highest paid people to show value in their buisness. This usually back fires and they end up taking a loss. I wish them nothing but bad luck for treating the techs the way they do. It will catch up with them. Good luck

Bug man Nov 22, 2008

I am a current tech at the West Chicago branch, I will leave my name out as I would fire me for sure. This company has no direction at all. As techs we do not know what is around the corner. I do not feel any stability with this company. Sorry to say but the two owners Kyle and Jared really know nothing about pest control or running a company. They put their company in the hands on office girls and branch manaagers. At one point we had 3 office girls, one branch manager, and 2 service managers. The branch manager quit for his own reasons, one office girl just walked out because she was over worked both service managers were demoted. Now the company is in the hands of the owners which scares me. They really dont treat their techs properly. As I write this Kyle is taking some future reps on a hunting trip. Earlier this year we were told there would be a tech of the year award. It was a cruise. It never happened and no tech has been announced, it was suppossed to be in Sept, Oct. Thanks Jared and Kyle. As techs we are treated the worst and they just dont see it at all. We are the bread and butter of this company. We are the ones who keep it together and retain customers. Myself and others have all discussed other options and plan on looking elswhere real soon. Hey Jared and Kyle what about a annual raise or a cost of living raise, maybe some personal days or vacation plan. Health insurance sucks. Open your eyes guys you will lose your best guys if you dont make some changes. Trust me.Oh by the way Jared I hope you enjoy another vacation in Atlanta, this is your 3rd in the last 2 months. What about us..

Bug man Nov 21, 2008

The truth is this company is a get rich quick scam. They give pest control a bad name. Its all about growing a buisness as fast as possible . The owners are in debt over their heads. They think they know how to run a company and they have no idea. They do not belong in the pest control industry at all. The owners are fat lazy bums who prey on anyone to grow their buisness. They send senior citezens to collections if they dont pay early term fees if they want out of the contract. We are almost in a recession and customers will be hard to come by. Their dishonest practices will catch up with them. People like them never get ahead in life, they think they are but in reality they never do.

Bug man Nov 21, 2008

This company used dishonest practices to build buisness. The sales guys have zero exp in pest control. They carry around bugs showing people and telling them the neighbor hood is infested. They see field ant nests in the ground and tell people they are carpenter ants. If they see any type of dust they default to carpenter ants. Its all about getting people to sign contracts. They even go as low as as having people sign contracts and than filling in some info after he fact. They are lying cheating people every day. They give a bad name to the pest industry. The bad news is they now have a new investor by the name Aaron aboard. I will leave out his last name. He is an investor that is paying over a million dollars to Eclipse marketing to buy out the 22% they own in the Chicago based Pointe office. He will be a silent partner that will focus on building more sales. Its all abouth the sales guys. They treat their techs like crap and they are very under paid. Trust me I know. I plan on contacting Eclipse and letting them know of my disaapointment of them selling.

• Cl
    C.L. Mazza Nov 21, 2008

There's only one reason this company uses the "fine Print" on the contract requiring written notice 30 days before end of service: so they can bill you for plenty more unneeded chemicals sprayed in and around your house. This is because their initial sales calls are completely dishonest, rating right up there with contractors who prey on people after disasters. I was told they'd found carpenter ants at all my neighbors' houses (turned out to be 100% untrue), then told some specks of dust near a basebaoard were from carpenter ants. Guess what, a year later, plenty of sertvice paid for, same dust appears at the baseboard. Their office clones, like the one who commented above, must be trained to compare their service to a cellphone provider. This is apples and oranges. Phone service is a utility. Pest service is not. And I'll bet the phone, the electric and the gas company WILL discontinue service if you call and ask them, unlike Point who claims they *can't* do this. I guess if you hire high-school dropouts to run everything, maybe you can't.

Bug man Nov 21, 2008

Joseph Smith is a nut job, he belongs in the mormon cult.

• Du
    dude Nov 20, 2008

If being a shady, lying, two coward are the fruits of a Morman thanshame on Joseph Smith the heratic

Bug man Nov 14, 2008

So is your mom for giving birth to you ###...Mormon lover...

Joe Nov 13, 2008

In The Know...

You are an idiot

Bug man Nov 11, 2008

I have to say Pointes service is the worst serevice out there. They have no training program and have no idea what they are doing. It is even worse if you work there. I think there are a few branches left and from what I hear they are falling apart. I know for a fact they do not spend their money wisely and have made some really bad buisness decisions. My advice is to stay away from this company and find one who has been in the industry for a while. Pointe is a fly by night company, kinda like gypsys they come here make some money than disapear. I have exp them first hand and I am glad to say will no longer need to expose myself to their dishonest practices. It does not matter if you are old, sick even dying they will still try to sell you a bs contract. If you are a current customer and your contract is up do yourself a favor and cxl them, but be sure to put it in writting or they will give you a hard time. Pick up a phonebook and you wills ee there are many companies to choose from, you wont see Pointe in the phonebook because they are to cheap to advertise, but have no issue spending their money on toys and vacations for themselves. I hope Pointe is completely gone soon and we never hear from them again.

• Mr
    Mr. M Oct 19, 2008

I have many things to say, so I'll try to keep them concise. I worked for Pointe for quite a while, and I made it through the transition to Terminix smoothly.

EVERY technician with Pointe had a job offer from Terminix IF the Branch Manager of Pointe communicated well with the Regional Manager of Terminix. The only techs that lost their job were techs that had lied about their driving record or were let go because they couldn't pass the drug testing. So if you somehow didn't make it through, talk to your Pointe BM and make him do the work required to find a place for you. He should have taken care of you through this. You can't blame Terminix if he didn't prepare them for you.

The comment "Everyone above a tech" being let go is a complete lie. EVERY Branch Manager was offered a job at Terminix with comparable pay. Every single one. The only BM's let go were those who chose NOT to accept the offer.

I now work for Terminix. Yes, there are many things that are not done as well as they were at Pointe. However, the techs make more per service, there is better training, and they bent over backwards for us throughout the transition. You can find problems in any job you have, but you should really simply try to fix them or accept them. If you hate every job's policies, start your own company and let the customers be your boss for a while. See how hard it is to keep employees happy.

IF YOU WORK for a Terminix branch and you are not happy with how it is going for you, talk to your regional manager and up the chain until someone can help you out. Posting your complaints on a board does not help your cause.

And lastly, the owners of Pointe did NOT sell to line their pockets. There was no option in the matter. The lending crisis made it impossible for them to keep operating. Anyone that has personal experience with the owners of Pointe knows that they did not choose this option.

Now... go spray some bugs. Be happy with the raise you got moving to Terminix as a technician.

• Lm
    LMAO Oct 17, 2008

HA HA HA... That is some great imagination you have Mr. Tibbs. I give you an A+ on your story. Thanks for making me laugh. LMAO

• Ga
    Gary Tibbs Oct 02, 2008

OK, so this guy shows up at my house (not sure what company he worked for) and is trying to sell me pest control services. I happened to be working in my yard at the time and always noticed a lot of bugs, so I agreed. He started spraying around the house, and I asked him if it was OK if I continued mowing and using my weedeater. He said "no problem". However I happened to pass by him one time with the lawn mower and it blew some grass on him. He came over and yelled at me saying I got grass in his hair, which he just had done at the beauty shop, and that I got grass stains all over his brand new pair or slacks. I apologized and offered to have the pants cleaned. He said OK. I figured he would bring them back at a later time, but no. He proceeds to take off his pants and tells me to wash them in my washing machine. He said he would keep working in his underwear, which I thought was a horrible idea, since this guy seriously needed a tan. I took the pants in the house to my wife and she refused to wash them, because it looked like he had gone to the bathroom in them. I came back outside with the dirty pants and the guy was rinsing his underwear out using my garden hose. I was floored and asked him what he thought he was doing. He said he had an accident and needed to clean up. He also asked me for some anti-acid tablets for upset stomach. At this point I just wanted him to leave. I handed him his pants and he got this horrified look on his face and went running for his truck. He sped away from my neigborhood. I noticed after he left that there appeared to be a trail of waste leading back to the street. It took me the rest of the afternoon to pressure wash my driveway and get that smell out of the air. I think I'd rather have the bugs than the technician with the IBS!

• Pe
    PestPro Dude Jun 17, 2018

@Gary Tibbs You're delusional.