OAN Services Inc.Telephone billing fraud!

R

My latest Verizon home telephone bill included a surprise from OAN Services Inc. It showed a call to their directory assistance was made 3/25/07. To use this service it says we dialed [protected] and for the privilege charged with taxes $7.57. The only directory service number we know is 411 and with this kind of rate for OAN Services it makes no sense to use.

I call the OAN number on my Verizon bill and the agent easily agreed to send a check for the full amount and offered to block further use of their service from my number, which I accepted. There is just something fishy about this operation. We I first discovered the charge, my wife was inclined to ignore it and see if happens again. I bet this is just the kind of game they are playing. If it is infrequent most people will let it go. If someone complains, make the complaint go away and take them off your suckers list.

I noticed another person had the same complaint on this board. I encourage everyone to report because the only way to accumulate evidence of fraud is to have enough complaints. One are two could be a mistake.

• Fr
    FRED NEMIROFF Oct 15, 2007

OAN, INC OF PONTE VERDE BEACH, FL put a charge for $7.64, including tax, on my Verizon phone bill. The number I allegedly called, 101 515-8000, appears to be some type of access code, per Verizon. I called Verizon and had them remove the charge. I also instructed Verizon to put a miscellaneous block on my phone bill so that no one can piggyback on to my bill with Verizon acting as their collections agent.

Finally, I went to the FCC website and filed a complaint of "cramming" against these bozos. Picture they do this to several million people and maybe 100,000 or so don't bother to see someone unauthorized has "crammed" a fraudulent billing onto their telephone bill. Verizon had suggested I call OAN and have them remove the charge. I pointed out they won't bill me separately as this is a scam and Verizon operator argued with me! Incredible. I think Verizon should be included in this as an accessory to cramming. After all, I'm sure OAN and others pay a fee to Verizon to handle the billing.

Darrell Dalton Nov 24, 2007

This month we received a bill from OAN services inc for 8.23 on our A>T>T bill, I don't know how many people got this but, it's sounds like a scam to us. If customers complain enough they will keep running this scam. Also this is a monthly charge. If this helps this charge was billed for Greentree Data charge. Maybe part of this scam to.

Darrell Dalton Nov 27, 2007

I call on it seems their a billing agent, for tetophone comp. someone had my previous phone no. and they used a old phone card with their old phone no. which was billed to me. They where very polite and said they will reimburses me the money. I'll have to wait for the next bill to see if they do.

• Cf
    C.F. Jan 21, 2008

01/21/2008

I have been ripped-off!! OAN services charged me 7.57 ... & for WHAT ?! What a rip-off BY VERIZON !! YOU GUYS AT VERIZON STINK!! AND YOU BETTER REFUND MY M O N E Y!!!

• Th
    Thomas Okeefe Jan 24, 2008

I got my business bill from Century Tel for December services and noticed a nice little charge of $34.95 on my billing. I was livid. Promptly called the number listed or OAN SERVICES and was put in line on hold perpetually but I never gave up.. The operator was friendly and told me the service was for some type of Web Service and basically I told her that no one authorized that and I was not paying them. I went on to tell her that this was basically theft. Be ware of charges on your phone service that you did not authorize.

Janvier Mar 10, 2008

ALERT!!!
    PHONE SERVICES FRUAD
    I had AT&T and this scamming company, OAN Services Inc. called me two months ago stating They Were Part of AT&T and "Nothing would change" in my billing or rates. That they are just becoming responsible for the 'billing for AT&T", but couldn't do it without my authorization; which at the time being busy minded agree and let it roll. Now, when I received my bill from AT&T, this OAN by Worldcom (which is the service provider for OAN) shows up in the bill and I am being charged three times the cost for the same phone service!
    I call and ask to speak with a supervisior and at first they were willing to only provide me with 10% prorate discount to my bill. I continued demanding an exact match than AT&T rates and after 15 min they provided me with 20% pro-rate discount. I have requested to speak with a Manager , so I was placed on ignored then I was told he was going to call me back. Which after 3 hours I decided to call back.

This people are making bank STEALING by fooling you to believe they are part of your current phone service. They provide phone service they buy from WorldCom and bill you three or four times the rate you normally pay. They know most people are too busy to look into the billing detail and just send our payments. Thats is how they make their business on our trust.
    We need to start bringing this to the better business bereau, and local authorities as business fraud.

• Ts
    TS Mar 31, 2008

This similar situation happened to our business account through AT&T billing. I'm not sure how we were "switched" to OAN Services, Inc., but we too paid these exorbitant charges for many months without paying close attention to the charges. In January we realized we were paying approx .03/per minute but the administration charges were outrageous and cost us .19/per minute per phone call.

We called AT&T and had them switch us back to their long distance and received confirmation that it was effective immediately. What they neglected to explain was we must also notify OAN Services Inc and cancel with that company. Because we failed to do so OAN charged us administrative fees of $54.73 in February and $49.95 in March. When we asked them to credit our account since no calls were made through them, they refused, stating that we were to notify them as well to cancel the services. This “customer service” confirmed our reason for taking our long distance elsewhere.

• Je
    jeri coon Apr 07, 2008

I have on my century tel bill attached bill from oan. services for 14.95. I have never used this service nor know of them. I have a block on my phone for long distance and other charges that are not authorized and somehow this company fraudulently got through. I have to file charges against them for fraud at this point as i cannot get through to them. The 1800 number offered does not connect me to anyone.

• Ka
    Kathy Roddy Apr 17, 2008

I just called the 800 number listed on my Fidelity Investments credit card, and a recording came on telling me that the number had changed, and I should call the new information number at 10-10-15-8000. I was suspicious, so I just re-dialed the original phone number, and got through to customer service. Maybe I mis-dialed the first time.

I guess I should contact my phone company, and possibly Fidelity. I will also take a close look at my phone bill. Is there a governmental agency we can report this theft to?

Marilyn Apr 28, 2008

My son's girlfriend got on our computer and signed up for some deal to get $1000.00 in grocery coupons, next thing I know there is a charge on my phone bill with AT&T for $15.74 billed on behalf of OAN Services, Inc. for enhanced vmail???!~!!!

This phone is clearly not in her name, does not belong to her, she does not live here and I wanted to know how they could get away with doing that.

I called OAN first, demanded that they remove my number and the billing for something that I or my husband did not personally contract for. They said it would take 2 to 3 billing cycles for it to be removed. I clearly stated that I would not in any way pay one penny for this bogus crap.

I got the guy's name, a reference number and a phone number to contact if it isn't cleared up but made sure that they understood that no matter that they would give me a credit for the billing, I was not paying anything to them period.

I then contacted AT&T, gave them all the info, explained that neither me nor my husband ordered this and that I was not going to pay that portion of the bill. I asked AT&T if there would be any kind of retribution against us for not paying that amount of the bill and was assured that there would be no problem. They placed it into some kind of deal where if the bill shows up next month I call the phone company and let them know that this is in dispute and will not be paid. I will need to do this each month until this charge is removed from my bill by OAN. I can do that but it is an inconvenience I don't appreciate.

Sad thing is, I called the girl who did this and she denies doing it. I told her that there was no way she could deny it because I was given all the sign up info which was her name, her address, her passcode and our phone number. She is now barred from the computer here until she can learn responsible browsing. I still am shocked that she had the audacity to not only deny doing it but to yell at me to stop bi*ch*ng her out. The nerve of this girl.

I am she will run to my son and complain and he will come home mad at mom but hey, oh well. she did it and it is my right to go off about charges to my phone bill she was not authorized to do.

So others out there, if and when this happens to you, call OAN first, tell them to remove the charges immediately. Get a name and a confirmation number. Then as soon as you hang up, call your phone provider and give them all the info and stay on it until the bogus charge is removed from your bill. Do not, I repeat, Do Not pay one penny for any of it.

• Ra
    Ray May 06, 2008

Kind of crazy i worK on behalf of att and do credits for customers, i currently recieved bill of 12.95 on my services which is fraud because we never ordered vm services such a scam im sure to solve this and research it!

marybeth May 11, 2008

I am finding a monthly charge for OAN. I did not nor would I ever sign up for something as silly as radio on my phone line. The phone is only there for internet. We use our cell phones for all calls. Also, I find it "fishy" that this OAN is never "there" when I try to call to find out HOW they can try to charge me for something I never signed up for.

• El
    Elaine Prillaman Aug 02, 2008

I was also billed on Verizon for the Laurentel setup fee, which I never authorized, they took it off and the Laurentel people canceled but who gave Verizon permission to charge me for something I did not sign up for. Verizon needs to be checked on also...

• Mi
    Mihai Aug 16, 2008

Another scam from OAN: $9.02 on my VERIZON bill.

• Gr
    gramma jean Sep 13, 2008

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT OAN IS BUT I CERTAINLY DID NOT ORDER NOR WANT IT. WILL DEAL WITH THIS FIRST THRU AT&T THEN THRU MY LAWYER. THIS CERTAINLY IS ILLEGAL. IF IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH A CELL PHONE, I DONT HAVE ONE AND AM NOT INTERESTED IN GETTING ONE.

• Te
    Terry Sep 24, 2008

I've received a $14.95 charge on my AT&T bill. We haven't signed up for anything new recently (internet), the only thing being our new cell phone contract with AT&T last month.

My charge showed up as Watchdog ID, LLC, however after googling this company, I've found many people have this same charge only to wind up with OAN.

Also, we had $54.90 in 1-900 #'s that we know were never made.

AT&T will most definitely remove these charges (this is what I have found so far on this bill) or risk losing a long-time customer. The cost of this bill x 23 months now left in our mobile contract, well, it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper to cancel. That includes our home phone and internet as well! I'm sure you see the point. Every site I've been to says this is happening with AT&T/Verizon. One also said that these phone companies are getting a profit for allowing them to make these fradulant charges!!!

Anyway, I am not letting this go and hope all of you don't either. Don't just stop with calling your phone company. This is happening to TONS of people & needs to be reported to all proper authorities/congressmen/etc.

• Li
    Lisa Oct 14, 2008

I use to work for OAN in Northridge CA. as an operator answering calls and yes it is a scam.

• Ju
    Judith A Draus Nov 03, 2008

I have my Verizon Account temporarily disconnected for 6 months which I only get charged minium, I'm in my 4th month of being temp disconnected and received my verizon bill which has the OAN long distance charge on it. I called OAN and after a lot a ranting I finally got them to agree to take off the charges. I talked with "JOE" from Telephone services at 1-800-339-3912. I am outraged and want/need to report them.

• Ji
    Jim Nov 06, 2008

OAN stands for Operator Assisted Network. I work for Embarq and dealt witha customer that had Embarq Long distance and made a DIRECT DIAL CALL TO JORDAN. One call for 59 minutes to Jordan was not billed by Embarq but rather picked up by OAN, and magically turned into a "operator assisted call" We charge at the most without a calling plan 2.00 per minute their all turned into a charge of 289 dollars for a 59 minute call!
    They charged around 4.80 a minute and when I was on the line with the customer they claim they only bill on behalf of Embarq, when we have our own billing department and they dont.
    After investigation I can tell you the phone companies are in on it! OAN is owned by former CEO'S of Embarq(who are being sued by the attorney general of Tallahassee). And youar e the bait!

mad Dec 26, 2008

This same phone number uses the name Telephone Services to put unauthorized charges on phone bills.

Joy Hanson Feb 15, 2009

OAN Services, Inc. is a scam and I wish the Better Business Bureaus in all states would do something about it!! I am from Illinois and I have been billed for 6 months on my local phone bill by OAN before questioning the $16.07 charge. I first started with AT & T and they could not give me any information on this charge (which I found crazy - since they are charging it!!) So, I called OAN and they told me that I signed up for identity theft insurance (and why is that billed on local phone service??) on the internet which is not the case at all!! The scary part is that they had my information, which tells me that they are getting it from somewhere else. I immediately cancelled and asked for a refund; however, I had no success retrieving my money. I then called AT & T back. I wanted to know how they could allow charges to come in and not know anything about it?? As a consumer, I feel AT & T should back their customers by staying informed and listening to consumer complaints, and if they can't then DO NOT ALLOW OUTSIDE CHARGES on their bills. This is definitely a scam. Many people are being ripped off. These local phone companies are getting a bad reputation too!! You'd think that they would do something unless they are in on it too. I often wonder?? Advice to all - Check your bills very carefully and call on any charge that looks suspicious. We all get caught up in this fast paced world and don't always check our billing carefully and that is how these scammers get away with cheating every day people. I have learned a lesson, and I am telling everyone I come in contact with to check their bills. All of you need to do the same - spread the word to everyone you know.

• Fr
    frederick satchell Feb 24, 2009

I have verizon internet services, but every month oan
    services inc. charges are added to my bill.I have no
    contract with them.

• Vi
    vivian Mar 06, 2009

I was also a victim of OAN through my At &T bill. They claimed my son signed up for it because they had his name and his email address but he assures me that he did no such thing except surfing on a site. I called them and told them that the charges of $22.95 were unauthorized ( no one should be able to submit a phone number and click on a button and be billed for services without some type of authorization, otherwise anyone could do this) and they promised me with an cancellation reference no. Then the same charges appeared on my bill again. I called again and their response is that they did not know what happened but would credit my account the amount charged and again gave me a reference number. This is a huge rip off and something needs to be done about this company. As I search the internet, I am coming across many people who have been victimized by this company. How can they still be in operation? Have they been reported to the Better Business Bureau?

david hankins Mar 07, 2009

I just found out what its like to get ripped off by OAN. This is through CenturyTel, I also called and got a confirmation number and a promise that it would be credited back to my phone bill. Reading these complaints now, guess I probably won't see any refund. How can this be going on so long, and these people getting away with this rip-off. Isn't there any gov. agency out there looking into this on the consumers behalf?

margaret murphy Mar 18, 2009

i two got my verizon bill with a charge of 7.50 on my bill what a scam i called verizon and they took off the oan bill and blocked any furter billing charges from this compay please check your bills so this doest happen to u oan you should be ashamed of your self

• Lo
    Loyd Mar 23, 2009

Today, Mar. 23, 2009, we received our monthly AT&T bill only to discover a $24.56 charge from OAN Services. After 30 minutes of going through AT&T and then OAN, an OAN rep said they would removed the charges. However, this is clearly an attempt at fraud and I hope attorney generals in several states take up this issue.

Loyd

• Va
    val Mar 31, 2009

it is a scam! I got billed for oan 12.95 in 3 of 09 so beware the scam is ongoing! I have had the internet since 2 of 09 so look at your bills!

• Ke
    Ken Apr 16, 2009

I just received my home phone bill and there is an OAN billing charge of $9.81...I had never heard of their company and I certainly did not authorize any services from them...this is total BS and I'm not going to put up with it. I called them this morning but there office doesn't open until 8AM

• Ke
    Ken Montsinger Apr 17, 2009

Five months ago, I noticed where OAN had added services to my phone bill. This and the dozen of calls to information raised a red flag, because I had just gotten out of the hospital. I questioned the bill with ATT and they were not going to take my word for any reason. The rep was very rude and insisted someone at my house made the calls! I, in no polite terms informed the rep that the phone has not worked in three months, that I am a retired ATT employee, and that the reason the phone has been out of order is that I've been in and out the hospital undergoing cancer treatment. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks, and was undergoing months of chemo. That everyone in my household has a cell phone and that we did not give a ***** if the home phone ever worked or not. I also informed the rep if she bothered to look at my records, she could see there was no usage at all. That I have three dogs, and if anyone is so stupid as to enter my house with the dogs trying to break the down to get at them, well I won't send them any flowers.
    I filed a formal complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission, and about two weeks later. ATT called and left a voice message informing me the charges were reversed.
    Three days ago I opened my bill, and low and behold OAN was again billing me for unauthorized services. I did a GOOGLE for OAN services, and I see where I believe I read 550, 000 complaints.
    And, this has been going on for YEARS!!!
    It's past time the FTC or FCC put an end to it.

• Ra
    Rachel Apr 21, 2009

I got and opened my phone bill last night. Appearing on it, was a $9.10 charge from a company called OAN Services, Inc. I never even heard of this company.

I am careful who I give my home number to and no one else uses my computer. Fraud definitely took place.

I called OAN and spoke with a service agent named Sherry. She was very nice and said she would issue a credit for the charge and that it would take place within two billing cycles. I hope she wasn't giving me a line of b.s. She did give me a confirmation though so hopefully this issue will be resolved.

I am still going to report them to the the Better Business Bureau after seeing the numerous complaints online about the company. Thank you to all who issued a warning on here!

• Le
    Lesanda Apr 25, 2009

I too have been a victim of OAN. I have submitted a complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities and this past Sunday met with my Congressman from my district, submitted correspondence, dates and charges. He is instituting an investigation of OAN and also ILD for consumer fraud. He promised me . He will bring an end to these spurious charges.

• Ha
    Hans May 04, 2009

I just got it today on my ATT phone bill, OAN charge for $9.25. I called immediately and they said they will credit my account.

Hans

• Tr
    trip May 09, 2009

I just viewed my AT&T bill and saw a charge for $8.43 from OAN Services Inc on behalf of LAURENTEL, Inc. as well. I began looking into this and was shocked to find so many similar complaints on the internet! And many of them are from several years ago! Astounding! How does this company continue to use these unethical and illegal practices and get away with it for years? I have already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission online and will contact my local telephone company and OAN during their normal business hours to resolve this. I am also going to report this to the FCC. This kind of scam is despicable!

• Le
    Lesanda May 10, 2009

As a follow up to the complaint I made to my Congressman John Adler of New Jersey concerning OAN services. I received a phone call from his office yesterday to tell me that they have been in contact with the NJ Board of Public Utilities . All charges added to my phone bills have been credited. They must have many more complaints from NJ residents in order to get the attention of the Attorney Generals Office and also for Congressman Adler to initiate legislation to stop this fraud. So NJ residents check your phone bills for spurious charges and file complaints with the Attorney Generals office.

• Mu
    MurphysLaw May 16, 2009

...opened my NJ Verizon bill to find an additional charge of $7.64 for a one minute call to 101 515-8000 OAN Services, Inc. 200 Executive Way Ponte Verde Beach, FL. What the f____ is this? I am livid. My plan only allows local calls or free 800 calls. Besides, I did a reverse directory look up on several sites and there is no record of that number existing anywhere. In fact, there is no 101 area code in the entire state of FL or any other state for that matter. I tried calling the number on my cell and couldn't. I mostly blame Verizon for providing a way for OAN to fleece their customers by not informing us of OAN's outrageous fees and services. Unfortunately I have to wait almost a week before I will be able to make time for my complaint to Verizon, OAN, BBB, FCC, FTC, Board of Public Utilities as well as to state congreessmen and Attorney General Office. Today is Saturday and every thing is closed for now and tomorrow. I also work during business hours.

• Na
    Nancy May 27, 2009

I too was a victim of OAN. It was added to my Verizon bill. Why havn't they been stopped? How many reports does it take for someone to take action against them? I reported them to the PUC and FTC. Keep reporting them if you become a victim.

• Ka
    Karen from Ft. Worth May 29, 2009

I am another victim of this billing scam. I received a charge on my AT&T statement from OAN Services, Inc. for $8.43. I have no idea who this company is and why AT&T billed me. I called AT&T and they tell me they can not remove this from my account due to Federal regulations; I have to have OAN remove the charges. AT&T did not know what type of service this company was. THIS is CRAP!

I called OAN at 1-800-926-6435 as shown on my bill they said they are billing for a company called Greentree Data, Inc. They transferred me to them. There number was on the bill also in the summary of my charges. I spoke with a representative whom I requested a cancellation of account as I had not authorize any service from this company. The service was for a Personalized 1-800 number tht was ordered online. I was told they will credit me 2 months of charges and put a note on the account that it has been cancelled. I hope they will resolve this on my first contact. If not I will not be so nice about it if I have to call again!

angry Jun 06, 2009

I just checked my business bill for Verizon and noticed a ton of extra charges on my bill. It's almost tripe what I pay monthly. I'm getting charged for "OAN Services, Inc. non-basic service charges" $42.35 with sales tax; ANOTHER charge from OAN that says "Directory Listing on behalf of MORE YELLOWPAGES INC" $39.95, and "ILD Teleservices" Family911 Setup Fee $16.91. I NEVER authorized any of these! I'm so heated right now after reading everyone's comments. Obviously ATT & Verizon users are getting scammed monthly by companies no one's ever heard of. How is this even possible for these companies to get away with this? Why is ATT & Verizon allowing this to happen to their customers?!?!?!?!?!?!??! And I agree with everyone else, isn't there a government agency that is checking this out?!?!? HELLO, GOVERNMENT, PEOPLE OF AMERICA ARE BEING SCAMMED LEFT AND RIGHT; WAKE THE HELL UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! please, for god's sake.

• Fa
    fasn8n1 Jun 16, 2009

My Wife just got our phone bill from AT&T and it had a 27.45 dollar charge from OAN.We called OAN and they said that I authorized the long distance internet services.Naturally my wife thinks anything that has something to do with the internet...I had something to do with it.She didn't say, but I can tell from the tone in her voice.She was upset.Now I'm cheap.We don't even have internet service at home.So I'm like baby I didn't do that.I'm going to get my Pre Paid Lawyer on this.I'm just not having it!!

Cheryl Jun 16, 2009

We had a charge for 9.95 for Info Source USA, Inc - Dir Asst Mthy Fee on one of our 6 business lines on our AT&T account. The first charge appeared on the March bill under ILD Teleservices Inc. I called the toll free number listed and they said the charged had been authorized by a Liz Roth - whom we do not know. They gave me a confirmation number and said it would be cancelled and credited the next month (April) and it was. Lo and behold, the exact same charge showed up in May and again in June - only under the OAN billing name this time. I called the (different) toll free number today and they say both will be credited next month. Why is this happening? Who are these people? What is their connection to AT&T? I see people on this site contacting Better Business Bureau and congressmen in other states. We are in Texas and I'm not sure who to contact and actually what to report - who are the bad guys? Info Source USA, Inc? ILD Teleservices? OAN Services? AT&T for allowing this crap to happen?