Keiser Universityfinancial aid scam!

K

This school gives the hard sell, gets you in the door, gets you into financial aid to apply for all sorts of student loans by filling out your forms for you so you will surely be approved and then promptly takes the money without your ever seeing it. Then, once you start classes the financial aid department harasses you by repeatedly pulling you out of classes to update your loan info so they get their next check. If you withdraw because of their behavior-they refuse to return your money. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL.

• Ti
    Tired and drained Sep 05, 2018

Well I am glad that now currently there is some kind of law suit against Keiser. I never got to finish my Ba in criminal justice. With just a few classes left and about 65, 000 in the hole, I had to withdraw. I could not afford monthly payments and I felt like I was not getting closer to the end. I even had to pay 320.00 to get my transcripts so that I could enroll in a different college. The college did accept my pre-requisite credits thank god but now I’m limited to doing an associate level degree in my new major because they pretty much exhausted my financial aid limits. This school has been a nightmare for me. Would not recommend. Only good thing was each class online lasted 25 days. So it was accelerated pace but soooo not worth the money they want to collect. And they messed up my credit. Look for another college!! Make sure where ever you go it’s nationally accredited.

• Da
    DanaK. Jul 26, 2017

This is exactly what happened to me. They are all nice and friendly getting you through the door, then send you broken links, poor excuses, ignore your emails, push you to withdraw then harass you for money. On top of that, they hold your transcript so you cannot move forward with your life, and every time you call they tell you how wrong you are, and I KID YOU NOT hang up on you after threatening to turn you in to creditors. This college is the absolute worst and because of them I cannot attend any college and have been turned in to two different creditors. One for a loan and one which they claimed I owe back finical aid. How???

• Hc
    HCM623 Nov 24, 2017

@DanaK. I am going through the same thing. I had no idea I was out of my financial aid? They will not show me where it went, how it went, nada!! They turned me into collections for $10, 000 at over 20% interest and holding my transcripts till I pay it off and I can't finish my degree. There are too many loop holes here and something just isn't right? Do you know if a class action has been enforced???

• He
    Heather Cline Feb 19, 2021

@DanaK. Reading all these posts it's something else to see so many have the same situation. I attended keiser back in 2005 I went to class 2 days then had to drop out. . I am trying to enroll back in college and Keiser is refusing to release my transcript saying I owe 5500 for one subject and they claim I was marked as there every day of class but yet they had to send the money back to fafsa or whomever They are straight lying and messing with peoples lives. i don't know how to post its for all to see but I am seeing an attorney and would love to turn this into a class action suit so they can be stopped from doing this to anyone else.

jazabe11e May 25, 2017

It seems that I'm having much of the same issue as a lot of other people on here. How is nothing being done about this? After 4 completed semesters, I dropped classes in my 5th semester, well within the period I was able to do so. Everything up until that point had been paid in full, I had a zero balance. I recently requested my transcripts to continue my education elsewhere, and I was told I owe $6500 and they will not release my transcripts until it is paid in full. They are accusing me of dropping classes outside of the time period I was able to do so without penalty. And when they sent me my ledger, of course it reflects their side of the story because otherwise how could they legally charge me anything. This money they say I owe them is money that was given to them from financial aid as well as the loans they make you take out, and they had to refund that money to them. So why exactly do I have to pay them money that was never theirs in the first place? It makes no sense whatsoever, and when I ask questions about it I am told that this is the way it is and I need to pay. How are they able to treat people this way? And how do they continually get away with this?!

• Da
    Danielle Guinn Sep 17, 2015

I started keiser e campus online in nov of 2009 till feb 2010. I only did one class however, I did order my books for the next 2 classes. I received a pell grant along with unsub l a total of 7, 424. I paid all of these things. Now after 6 years I am in college and they need my transcripts. They are telling me I owe them 980.00$ After talking to a ton of different people I finally received all my paper work. The numbers don't come out right. I cant register for spring classes without it and I don't have that kind of money. I am just not sure what to do at this point.

• Ib
    ibastudent Sep 02, 2015

At the moment I have over $4, 000 in my student account and they refuse to give me a stipend even though all of my tuition is paid and I finish with all of my classes in less than two months. They keep transferring me to different people and won't tell me why I can't have the money that is in my account. It's lo ans and pell grant money that should have given to me long ago.

The school is a total scam. Do not attend it. They will screw you over big time.

• Ki
    Kimberly-Ann Aug 18, 2013

I was on the faculty at Keiser Career College, as a
    Surgical Technology instructor. I can say first hand that Keiser Career College in St. Pete is a sickinly toxic environment for students and faculty. The students pay $36, 000 and have nothing to show for it. Upon starting they are promised a great education, when in fact many of the credits aren't able to be transferred to other schools, if a student wishes to move. 90% of students do not get jobs because there are so many schools that offer this program. All the school wants is to make money. Chancellor Keiser and his administration do not care about the well being of students or faculty. They allow students to do anything the want, so as not to lose money, even if they are unprofessional and under qualified. As a clinical instructor, I had to reprimand my students occasional and make them accountable for there behaviors. The students were allowed to have the notion that they run the program. Students would call my boss that they would leave the program because I would call them on their actions. I would then be called to campus and I got reprimanded for doing my job. I was told by my boss to turn the other cheek, because just as the administration has zero regard for faculty and the program, my boss felt the same and was all about money. I would never send someone to look at the program. When asked, I would tell those interested in the program to go to St. Pete Community College, which is a legitimate school and program. The physicians and staff at the clinical sites would inform me that Keiser students are subpar to other schools. It's not the students fault that the school is all about greed and not education. After the experience there, I would love to bring a class action lawsuit for toxic working environment as well as, one on behalf of the students, as all they get is there money ripped off and jobs because students are not on an environment that is conducive for learning.

• Tr
    TracyWuzHere Jul 31, 2013

Thanks you for all the warnings.. I was going to make an appointment to inquire about going here. I was hoping to take a quicker route than the state college.. Obviously, I run a High risk of regretting it.. Cant believe there's not ONE good review.. That's pretty bad.. This Does sound like a mill.. I guess I will continue the longer route to PBCC.. Thanks again.. Your input may have saved me time and money..

• Ke
    keiserneveragain May 20, 2013

I went to keiser University in West Palm Beach, Fl off of jog. While there I did some prereqs and got into the nursing program. In the secound semester I withdrew and was told that I did not owe anything. When I went back three weeks later to get my official transcript transfered to another school they told me I owed over $3, 000 to the school. I was forced to make a payment arraingment because i did not want this on my credit, and they still would not send my transcript. I am still making payments and I regret ever going to this school. I felt cheated out of money and helpless. It's sad that ther's nothing you can do in this situation.

• Gu
    guner4440 May 16, 2013

Keiser financial aid absolutely refuses to give me a financial payment breakdown at the Culinary school in Tallahassee, Fl.. They come up with a song and dance about when I complete the program ect.. I am getting a really bad feeling about this. Last month I didn't owe them a dime, now that a $3, 500.00 loan came in all of the sudden I owed them all of it plus an additional $75.00. I have one 28 day class left and that is technically my money. Why did they doctor the books so they can have it and wont give me any information ?

• Cl
    clay turner Feb 17, 2013

February 17th 2013
    Well after over 3 years at Keiser University online and having right at 10 to 11 months left I am being told that my federal loans it about to reach the max. I already have another private loans no one else will give any more loans so I am told my time with Keiser is about done if I don’t get another loan with about $20, 000 or so left all they said was “I am sorry” my financial aid adviser advised me to call the dean and see if I can just bounce back get the associate degree instead. Oh gee I need a ba degree to attend law school.

• Ke
    keiserbullied May 20, 2012

After reading various websites with complaints about KCC (now SCC), I must say I wish I had done more homework about this institution prior to enrolling. I am an older adult learner who has only been at KCC for a few months. In the 2 months I have been there, I have been bullied and assaulted by a staff member (who since has been removed from the school), taught by an instructor that you cannot fully understand due to a heavy accent, had class interrupted numerous times for petty issues that would not condone the interruptions (monthly "fee's", other than your loans/grants that they make you pay them & if you don't pay on that day they come and get you out of class), had instructors not take control of the classrooms and allow certain unprofessional students to curse and act very disrespectful of others, students coming in late for testing and still being allowed to test (while others who come in late for testing cannot test - picking favorites) and I could go on and on. Way too much negativity at this school and not enough of the "positive learning experience" that they promise you. Too many picking favorites and not enforcing the same rules/regs for all. Discriminatory to say the least. This has been by far the worst college experience I have ever had, and I have been to three other colleges in my lifetime. It's true what others say, they do reel you in, call you all of the time to make sure they got you, take your money and then do not make any effort to help you should you need to leave the school. I will getting my education at a public school, not here.

• Wt
    WTF904 Dec 10, 2011

Look into other PRIVATE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITIES in FLORIDA...The others are more accredited and LESS EXPENSIVE!!! They say they 'personalize' and that is why you pay an arm and a leg for tuiton to a piece of crap/(bad rep) school... might as well go to DeVry or ITT Tech!...Full Sail is private and as expensive as University of Miami...but they actually MAKE you finish their programs, which is more accredited and if you could get into uM, i am sure you would go there. Get good grades in High School and you can go anywhere for 50, 000 for a Bachelors Degree, except IVY leagues.

Salita Mason Nov 03, 2011

No attorney has contacted anyone because no laws have been broken! You messed up not them

Salita Mason Nov 03, 2011

Keiser university is no different then any other institutions. The people who are complaining have poor understanding. What accredited university you know give refunds. I mean really!! You have to ask questions make sure all your questions ate answered . If not then don't sign any documents. Keiser is considered a private university they price is pretty close to any other private university. I did research on this topic. I found that they are running right along with other private universities. Most of those who had bad experiences at Keiser dropped the ball themselves . In anything you must be competent and able to handle your affairs with them just as I did. I had a few bumps during my 4 years but I asked questions and handled my bussiness accordingly . I'm not saying they don't mess up, Im saying be consistent in your dealings and if something does not work for you then make it known and find ways that is more readable. good luck all .I love Keiser university and everyone that work there . I finished with my BA and I m proud of that. Thanks Keiser for being there for me . Salita

• This school is horrible as far as finacial issues go. I tried to contact them for my loan dispersment and was transferred 8 times!!! One woman had the nerve to say "your loan is dispersed to the school" and scoffed at me!! All I want is my living expense money I specifly added to my loans. They are disgusting people, stealing my money. Now they are telling me most of my loan was sent back to the lender and I owe the school money. WHAT?!?! This is ridiculous. This is so wrong I want to throw up. Has anyone else had this happen. Your loan money being sent back?

BAST7551 Aug 26, 2011

I cant believe no attorney has contacted us! LOL there are enough complaints just in the last year on here cant imagine all the complaints actually since I attended in 2004.

• Wh
    Whitney Pemrick Aug 25, 2011

I absolutely agree with this thread!!! I am being summoned to pay back $6.800 of a loan to Keiser I never even saw the money for. I was told go ahead and apply for a loan through SALLIE MAE which of course i was approved for. The check was sent to Keiser however, I was then told I would still need more financial aide to cover my classes. I cancelled my loan through Sallie Mae, and Keiser was supposed to refund the money which of course they did not! Now I am responsible!! I have my unused knife kit, 2 chef outfits, and a textbook that were never used, and Keiser won't respond to anything I send. I've offered to bring back my equipment but get no response. I have been harassed since November of 2007, and have since been turned over to a collections agency and I only went to classes for 8 days. And it was a MEAT 101 class, when in fact I was told I'd signed up for a Pastry Chef Degree program. They don't even offer that as a degree program in Sarasota!!!

• Do
    DONT GO TO KEI"Scam"ER Apr 26, 2011

Does anyone know the Attorney used in any of the class action law suits against Keiser
    please need to find out asap, been doing alot of research and cannot locate this information that Keiser is hiding.

BAST7551 Apr 14, 2011

we got to get together and complain to gov, or state rep. To get the Dept of FL EDU to take these complaits serious.

BAST7551 Apr 14, 2011

There needs to be a petition or complaint made with signatures as many as possible thes people wont move unless there is. The students have to get together and fight whom ever we complain to wont listen to just one person.

BAST7551 Apr 14, 2011

There are over 87 complaints maybe we should contact the govenor.

• Ty
    Tyler91 Mar 28, 2011

I went to the Keiser University Online program. The courses were poorly set up, and I got out. I had been given student loan packages, and now have poor credit because I withdrew from the classes. What can I do to get it taken off of my credit?! I DIDN'T EVEN GO FOR A WHOLE SEMESTER!!!

• Sh
    Sheabutter30 Jan 12, 2011

OMG! Kimone24 I was told the EXACT same thing and was supposed to of graduated last year and have not been able to, because I am unable to secure a clinical site. BTW-YOU have to find your own clinical site, good luck doing that. This school has milked me out of ALL my finicial aid and now I have 2 loans to cover the cost since I have 2 classes left! NEVER EVER EVER GO TO THIS SCHOOL!!!

• Er
    Ericka Law Dec 08, 2010

I am so mad right now!!! I took 2 semesters online at this school and they said I owe them 12, 000 dollars!!! I am withdrawing from this school because the online classes are not giving me what I need to start finish my nursing degree! I have no idea who I can talk to about this but something has to be done. I don't have the money just to give away and I'm sure no one else does!!!

• Ki
    kimone24 Nov 13, 2010

This is the worst, absloute worst school. NO ONE communicates, no one returns any calls or emails. They et you into the school by lying. I was told that the nursing course has no clinicals for RN -BSN...That is a LIE, there are THREE clinical classes. I was told that the same course is 20 months now all of a sudden theses nasty people added two classes without communicating why to the adult students. Who can I talk to, is that legal? Is that false advertising? I am 13 months into the program?

• Er
    Erika Manner Sep 28, 2010

As a former instructor at Keiser I am always surprised at the high tuition they charge. The last class I taught I made about 2 cents for every dollar of tuition paid by students in my class for that module (one month). On top of it Keiser loads a lot of administrative work on teachers. Working at Keiser frequently requires more teachers time than at other institution at which I taught. I also find Keiser not very selective in chosing their students, which often creates an impossible work environment in the class room, for both teachers and students who actually want to learn. Where does all the tuition go?

• Sc
    Scrwdbykeiser Sep 09, 2010

What a JOKE! My husband went there in 2005 and started the 2006 winter session. We went to the resgistrar's office and told them that my husband was enlisting in the Marine Corps, they thanked him and gave us an unofficial copy of his transcript, then told us they are withdrawing him and sent us on our way with a good luck wish. First of all, when you enroll and go through financial aid, they don't tell you that it isn't a federal loan you will be taking out. You assume (huge mistake) that because you go through all the same steps as if you were applying for the PELL grant that when you turn in your paperwork it goes through a sallie-mae. We didn't find this out until now, 2010 when my husband tried to enroll in a college where we are stationed and requested transcripts from Keiser. They told me there is a hold on the account, wondering what in the world it was, I called on behalf of my husband. I get the run around that my husband would need to call and get information they cannot give me any information over the phone. My husband sends an email and the lady calls me back within seconds, she tells me he owes over 4, 500, for sitting a couple days in one class. I was flabbergasted, I said we withdrew because he joined the Marine Corps, they said he was a drop, considered a no show. He was not only charged for that one class, but for the whole session! I said who was the loan company that he owes, they said there is no loan company he owes the school. How in the world? SCAM! I ask what we can do to clear up this matter as it would be nice to have those transcripts and obviously we don't want to owe anyone money. The lady who called me back said that she would have the Vice president of Operations give me a call and discuss the account. How can you charge for a whole session when he didn't attend but a couple of days for one class, let alone how can you say he owes a loan when that money was never loaned or used. If we owe the school, then the school put out 4, 500 to whom, wasn't him, and why would they put out any money when one withdrew. The lady agreed with me and said that the Vice President would be who I would need to talk to about this situation, I agreed. Not even 10 minutes later I get a call from a lady who says she is relaying a message from the VP. Message goes as follows, No adjustsments will be made to this account, if you can't pay the 4, 500 today then no transcripts will be released, payment has to be made through FMS and until fully paid full nothing can be done. I replied, and you are? I am so and so and again relaying a message. I said, I can't believe what I am hearing from a so called university, the Vice President couldn't even call me back to take a couple of minutes to hear us out, so she sends a messenger, well here is her message, this is obsurd you screw us out of 4, 500 and couldn't take a second to explain why, I've never met such a coward who holds such a position, we would rather re take the courses then pay you any money that was never loaned or borrowed, as far as the transcripts go, well enjoy your new toilet paper. My advice for anyone looking to attend this school, Dont a clown colleges have better professionals.

• En
    enoughKeiser Aug 12, 2010

I also attended Keiser College in 1997. After serving 9 years in the Florida Department of Corrections I enrolled in Keiser College Fort Lauderdale Campus. I informed my admissions counselor of my criminal past and asked her if there would be a problem with me obtaining a license to work in my field of study (Medical Lab Tech). I was told that my past would not prevent me from obtaining a license. After completing a majority of the required studies, I was informed by Ms. Samuels that I could not apply for a professional business license in the state of Florida due to multi felony convictions, as well as to my civil rights not being restored. I was sent to admissions and advised to change majors. I enrolled in the computer programming program and drop out after three classes. I could justify going deeper in debt, paying for two educations. I am now 54, 000.o0 in debt with student loans for an education I can't use. I have filed for a loan discharge with the Federal Student Aid Program. The inspector general is looking into bring action against Keiser College. If anyone else is in the same position that I am, or if you have issues with your Federal Student loans, please contact me and let’s see if we can't bring action against Keiser College.

• Mw
    mwmBl45 Jul 24, 2010

This is a place that is so pathetically mismanaged, that it should be avoided at all costs. Once you are in the door it is over. Loud, disruptive and boisterous learning environments perpetuated and dominated the learning environment before a slight grasp of classroom noise levels could be achieved. Woefully inadequate application to protect basic needs IAW Maslow. A young student allegedly had money stolen out of her purse on repeat occasions yet the best solution the management could provide was increased water bottle enforcement. I say allegedly ONLY because I did not see it with my eyes. But in the first week or so of the class I was struggling with the overall hostile, aggressive atmosphere of the classroom and a student behind me called out my name and asked if "I had picked up/taken her wallet? My immediate instinctive and reflex response to such a question was to empty out the contents of my pocket and display them on the table. Moments later the student sitting next to me reveals that she had the wallet but that it was just a JOKE. I forwarded the information to the staff but NOTHING... I was quite concerned about this and started wondering if I should don a flak jacket or continue with wearing the smock to class. The instructors boast of expertise as if they are the industry standard. But a lot of times the words they use or statements made reflect discrepancies in subject matter. I had to fight "tooth and nail" to receive credit for properly answered questions on an exam but all it met with was retaliation. They corrected my test but did not adjust my score. I had to solicit the dean to accompany me to the office to get my grade adjusted. I started with a 60 but had earned a 78. What a SHAM.. Instructors are frequently challenged through the bully system and they quickly defer to thug style demands instead of standing up to the nonsense. My attempts/pleas and demands to receive fair treatment fell upon deaf ears. But it brought out significant retaliation in the form of strict application of the OLD DOUBLE standard policy. Buyer beware!!!

• Sd
    Sdatt Jul 23, 2010

I currently attend Keiser University in Daytona Beach. I am always being pulled out of class for Financial Aid, its ridiculous! I am getting very annoyed with this!

• Sc
    Schoonover May 24, 2010

I also attended Keiser. I did complete my prerequisites for the lpn to rn bridge course. But, they ripped me off for 5 grand. I took one class and did not complete the other 2 they say were in the same semester. They also didn't tell me I would be billed. So, they are holding onto my transcripts. I really believe this is illegal. I am now considering attending the Keiser Career College to complete my RN. I just want to be done and hopefully they will be able to pull up my transcripts while I am attending their college. It really is a joke, I also never saw a check.

Roger Martin Apr 08, 2010

It is a no win situation for the student consumer because the education system is compartmentalized. The financial funding system, thru federal regulation, places the liability directly on the student consumer thru legalese. While paper mill institutions like Keiser University/College, receive state accreditation to protect them from litigation for their practice in racketeering. I believe the Keiser family receives this coverage because they are entrenched in Florida politics as indicated in the following appointments. Ms. Keiser sat on the Board of Directors for the Florida Association of Postsecondary Schools and Colleges (FAPSC) for a full year, appointed by the Florida Commissioner of Education to the K-2O Partnership Committee, served the State of Florida as a Governor Jeb Bush appointee to the Board of Directors for Workforce Florida, Inc. to mention just a few.

roscoe12 Mar 31, 2010

Keiser University is a ripoff. They try to get to students to enter with false promises of jobs! In one campus, they even have the owner's nephew working in student services and he was just arrested for the fourth time! He is an addict and the Keisers have been warned about him, but still subject students and staff to this risk. They have driven out anyone who tries to protect the school if they say anything about him. This is truly a school that only exists for the enhancement of its owners and not the students. What a crock.

Roger Martin Mar 16, 2010

Same old ploy different day. If enough people post their may be enough to get attention for class action litigation.

• Th
    thamaineone Jan 20, 2010

The same exact ### happened to me. The only difference is I was lied to by a financial director named Liz that I would owe nothing after withdrawing. 6 months later I was hit whith a bill for 7, 000 after only going to 1 class.

• Th
    THE TRUTH IS HERE Jan 12, 2010

I work for Keiser- for now it is payig the bills. They only want your money or the federal money (loans & Pell Grant) Run away. They will lie to you and when u think you are completed will tell u you you owe X amount to get your degree. also why is the cost the same per sememster (the way they you are billed for a student doing their AA /AS to a student working on their BA/BS. If you look at your FAFSA you will notice the Grad rate of about 67% give or take. A majority of students are unable to pursure after their 1st FA package due to the payments. All students make a monthky payment- you lost your job, sorry we need out payment. 80/20 rule as Keiser about that and the reason Dr. Keiser wants student to get in the habit of making monthly payments (if u are in school trying to better yourself how can u take on another monthly bill. Also do not believe your admission rep/recruiter KEISER WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY FOR A LAP TOP OR COMPUTER.

Roger Martin Aug 29, 2009

Run!!! from them if you can and enter a fully accredited regional university while you still can.

• Eb
    EBONY FLOURNOY Aug 28, 2009

RIGHT NOW, THEY WILL NOT REALEASE MY OFFICIAL NOR UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS DUE TO THEM APPLYING MY FOR A PRIVATE LOAN OVER 4 YEARS AGO UNKNOWINGST TO ME! SO INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO GRADUATE NEXT MONTH OCT2009 FROM UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX, ILL BE SUITING UP TO TAKE ALL OF MY AS CLASSES AGAIN BECAUSE KEISER WILL NOT RELEASE MY TRANSCRIPTS! DO NOT GO HERE!

• Jb
    jbvnd Aug 18, 2009

Ok, you all are scaring me. I am a student online. I have been trying to contact my financial aid advisor for grants and scholarships to assist with living expenses and have not gotton a return call. I have no idea how much money has been put into this school as I have not received any awards letters, nor do I know what programs they have applied to on my behalf. Is this school worth it?

• Mo
    mommy of a cuttiepie Jul 29, 2009

I do agree with most of you! I went to the keiser career college in Greenacres campus, it SUCK! all they care about is your money.When I was applying there the adviser would call my phone days and nights, but as soon as i enrolled with them, the same person who sign me to the school would past me down the hall and not say hello. When I enrolled at the school I was 4months pregnant, they was aware of it, they told me it would be okay to come to the school when i have the baby i can take a fews days off. let me tell ya'll, I had the bay on monday, on that friday after i had a c-section i had to returned to school or else they threat to drop me. This is after they told me they would work with me after i had the baby beacuse, "we all here are family" thats what they told me. They suck! I should have sued there ### for making me come back to school after a few days of having a baby. keiser staffs are money hungry! i am now at the unviversity because its one class at a time thats the only reason i attend that supid school.