Jiffy Lube β€” failure to honor warranty

J

I had a "PowerVolt 72 month warranty" battery installed by Jiffy Lube two years ago and it failed last week. After getting a jumpstart from a stranger, I drove to Jiffy Lube Store #1004 (on Barbur Blvd.) and they told me they no longer sell batteries and would not honor the 72 month warranty. I asked them if I could go to another Jiffy Lube store and they said no, I should go to Les Schwab Tires, because "they honor every battery warranty".
I went to Les Schwab (and left the vehicle running), and they laughed when I told them what Jiffy Lube said, and suggested I go to an Interstate Battery dealer about two blocks away.

I drove to the Interstate dealer, who told me that "PowerVolt" was the private label brand and that Interstate Dealers are unable to honor the warranty without pre-clearance from the Interstate Battery Headquarters.

My husband called Interstate Battery, and they told him that we had to go to the Interstate Warehouse (25 miles away) to get it diagnosed and (if they agreed it was maintained properly) replaced. We called Jiffy Lube's national customer service number and they said they would be happy to file a complaint, but could do nothing to force a Jiffy Lube store to honor the warranty. We tried charging the battery for two days (without success), then my husband spoke with a customer service supervisor at Interstate Batteries who authorized the local Interstate Dealer (2 miles away) to replace it. In 20 minutes, they had replaced the battery with a better one from Interstate, and I was back on the road.

Thanks Interstate Batteries! SHAME ON YOU, Jiffy Lube! You'll never change my oil again.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices