Ez Storage Woodbridge VAAuto termination of contract because I had not put anything in unit

I paid for a rental unit since August that I was unable to use because of health reasons. The payment on the unit was current and I owed the company no money, I simply hadn't had a change to load my belongings to the locker. October 1st I received a call from the property manager who told me since I had rented the space since August and had not put any of my belongings in the space, they were releaseing the space and would cut off my lock, or I had a choice to re-renew my contract (with another 22 processing fee). I read my contract and no where in the contract I signed did it say if you did not occupy the space while you were paying for it, it would be released.
I will never do business with the company again and I urge others to think twice. How can the company inforce a rule that is not in the contract signed by the renter?

• ezStorage Corporation’s response to this comment:

Customer service and providing the best self storage experience in the industry is foremost at ezStorage. Unfortunately, Ms. Horton did experience “less than our best” effort on which I’d like to elaborate.

The situation that occurred with Ms. Horton’s storage unit being vacated prematurely was not done maliciously and was in fact done to save Ms. Horton unnecessary rental charges. The resident managers discovered through the monthly “mirror check” that Ms. Horton’s unit was empty so they vacated (moved her out) the unit out of the Point of Sale system before another month’s rent was charged to her. Their intent was to see that their customer was not charged rent on a storage unit that she was not using --- simply put, it was empty so why should Ms. Horton pay more money. We regret that these actions were not satisfactory to Ms. Horton and that they caused her any inconvenience. Upon hearing about the situation in January, we immediately sent a formal apology letter to her regarding her dissatisfaction and sent her a refund check for the administrative fee inadvertently charged her to re-rent the unit. Obviously, our formal apology was not accepted but once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience we’ve caused. We are the self storage industry leader in the MD and VA markets; we credit this to our superior product and our passion for excellent customer service. When we fall short, we admit it.

Jill Fairchild