Energy Plus Holdings LLCScam

J

After receiving offers to reduce my electric bill if I switched from my local provider NYSEG, I took the bait. My bills became outrageously expensive, so I compared the KWH charge to my previous year's bill from NYSEG and found I was being charged 250% more per KWH! I called NYSEG to confirm their current pricing and, yep, they were still two fifths of what Energy Plus Holdings was charging. When I called to cancel my service with Energy Plus they said it would take two months to switch back to NYSEG, therefore forcing me to be overcharged several hundred dollars more! Don't make the same mistake I did. Do your research before switching. Energy Plus Holdings is bad news.

• Rd
    RD - Central NJ Feb 25, 2015

Whatever you do, don't sign up for any supply charges through ENERGY PLUS HOLDINGS!!! They know they aren't regulated by the Board of Public Utilities so they can and will charge you whatever they want to under "deregulation" which makes them a "legal" scam. Totally unethical. Always falling just inside the legal limits to gouge the consumer but not be liable. Giving you virtually nothing in writing so they can't be held accountable.
    As others, we signed up for Energy Plus Holdings, LLC to supply our electricity based on a telemarketing phone call where they promised to save us money over PSE&G and give us a 5% rebate at the end of the year. Our rate was $0.95/kw or something and PSE&G at the time was around $.105 or $.11/kw. Our worst mistake was to get on a budget plan with them because we could not tell what they were actually billing us each month. What a surprise when we received a supply bill amount for over $400 more than our monthly budget amount. We called and were told our actual price/kw had somehow risen to over $.185/kw - doubling our initial price and this was making up the shortfall!! Since they must have this happen regularly, they offered to put us back with PSE&G and give us a credit for $.05/kw for 6 months, which somehow they calculated as $200. They never gave us any info on how this was calculated. We were told that our final bill would be billed at the lower rate and we would also get another credit. How surprised were we to get our next bill with an additional $250 over our usual budget amount especially since we had not used the kw to have that increase. Our actual usage should have been only $160 - yet they charged us a total of over $350. We called them about the credit we were to receive, assuming it would be made up that way. We were told they would send us a check for $15 (!!!) and refused to give us any more of a refund. Since you are billed through your utility company, you know if you don't pay your electricity will be shut off so you are without recourse.
    Just don't do it!!! You will regret the move and so will your pocket book.

• Jc
    JC CAV Jan 20, 2015

SCAMMED!!!

MY BILL WENT FROM 350 A MONTH TO $1380...YES $1380...NOT JOKING

THEIR VARIABLE RATE GOES UP "AT THEIR DISCRETION"

Not a Habitual Complainer Dec 08, 2014

Energy Plus is a utility scam operation. Their business model is to attract customers by offering cheap gimmicks like hotel points, etc. to sign up on electric rates that are OK at first, but after 2 or 3 months they double the rate. The worst part is that they don't disclose the variability of the rate clearly. The rate goes up quietly with no notification. I have reported them to Public Utility Commission.

• Za
    ZakPreston Feb 15, 2014

I live in the Philadelphia area and have PECO as my electric supplier. I signed up with Energy Plus thru Upromise (www.upromise.com) because there was a $50 cash incentive for signing up and a 3% rebate every month on my energy bill. The first couple of months the Energy Plus rates were comparable to that of PECO. So I stopped checking until some 8 months later, when I noticed their rates going up and up, until it had reached 80% more than that of PECO. I called and complained to them before canceling. I also complained to Upromise that they should not associate their name with such a company (they still promote this company at their website - what a shame). At the end I ended up paying much more than the initial cash incentive and the cash rebates.

• Za
    ZakPreston Feb 15, 2014

I signed up with Energy Plus through Upromise (www.upromise.com) because there was a $50 cash offer for signing up, and 3% rebate on their portion of the bill. Their initial rates were comparable to the PECO rates (in Pennsylvania). Some 6 months later, I noticed their rates going up every month. By the time I canceled, their rate was almost double to that of PECO rates. At the end I ended up paying much more than the cash back and sign up bonus. If you are a customer of theirs, for your sake, check your rates on a monthly basis.

• Da
    Davidks Jan 12, 2013

I switched to Energy Plus and their rates are outrageously high. My bills went way up. This is a scam!

Norman_is _not_my_name Jan 08, 2013

Yep - I agree that this outfit is completely untrustworthy. I am in PEPCO territory (MD). I switched because of a promotion for frequent flyer miles. First month was a good rate rate (90% of PEPCO rate), 2nd month was 60% higher than PEPCO rate, 3rd month was slightly higher again; 4th month (and final, if the cancellation went through today) - I wait with bated breath to see. Over months 2, 3 and 4, I estimate I have been overcharged by about $100. However, to me the frequent flyer miles were worth about $300, so overall, I do not mind. BUT I do resent their "bait and switch" approach - I find it, at best, misleading and unethical, and that is why I am writing here. (In fact, they credited the mile to my account after month 2, so it's my own fault for letting them get away with the overcharging for so long.
    Moral of the story is - if they offer enough upfront benefit to you to switch, then risk it, but build in the expectation that you will be overpaying by about 60% for power after the first month.

• Ca
    Carl - CT Dec 13, 2012

I am a Connecticut (CL&P) customer had had much the same experience as others. Unfortunately I did not notice the rip-off for 5 months, where my supplier rate was over 60% more than the utility rate. I signed up because of a promotion with American Airlines - rates were good in the beginning and then jumped by 46% in one month and stayed there. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM, or buy into their 'rates are variable' scheme. MANY other suppliers will quote fixed AND competitive rates for up to 12 months.

• Ko
    Kodiak2012 May 25, 2012

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM. THEY ARE CHARGING 3-400% more! IT IS A LEGAL IT IS A LEGAL RIPOFF about which the NYS Attorney General will hear. How/Why are these vultures allowed to do business without regulations. This is INSANE!!

• Bi
    big-guys-win-again Feb 23, 2012

I was given a competitive rate for the first 30 days - only slighter higher than Peco. Ever since then I have been charged over 4 cents over any other company is charging in PA. my electric bill is over $2000. Please stay away.

• Bi
    Bill Forth Jan 25, 2012

HUGE SCAM COMPANY

• Ms
    msmurp Oct 19, 2011

We were scammed by Energy Plus. We were charged at least 5 cents more per KWH with Energy Plus compared to the energy supplier’s standard average rate. Energy Plus assured me we were getting the market standard average rate! According to my bills the standard average rate stayed the same for 5 months & it was 5 cents higher than their competitors!!! We are struggling to pay our bills and to be over charged almost $50 a month!!! Shame on Energy Plus!! Now I am watching the electric bill! I learned my lesson!!

• Tr
    trisrae Oct 14, 2011

I just called Energy Plus because I got an offer for Advantage Miles. After going round and round on what the variable rate would be I just hung up. I wish I had googled them first - it would have saved me 20 minutes.

• Mo
    Molly5 Aug 13, 2011

I too fell for the scam. Being on Unemployment, it is difficult for me to meet my bills now as it is. With all the advertisements, phone calls, ConEdison pushing its PowerMove, and the door to door visits, I was led to believe I HAD to choose or ConEdison would choose someone for me. I thought ConEdison was changing its business plan. My normal 100+ summer high bill just turned into $440 for ONE month of charges. And now I cannot get ConEdison on the phone. I am stuck in a loop in their system. Can't stay on hold and I can't leave a message..

I fear I am going to have my electric cancelled because I cannot possibly pay this bill, or the next 2 at these rates.

Why is this legal???

sge411 Aug 02, 2011

For those of you still considering switching from your local electric supplier to resellers like Energy Plus, read this article about energy deregulated markets. Upromise, maybe now you will reconsider your association with Energy Plus. http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/07/23/For-Many-Energy-DeReg-Was-a-Dismal-Failure.aspx#pa...

• Nb
    NBNBNB Jul 08, 2011

They got me too, but only for two months worth. How they are still in business??

• Bo
    BoroughBabe Jun 11, 2011

Energy Plus is a total rip off. My first month was less than Peco and then the second month my rates went up 3 cents. I was on to them so I got out after 2 months and took my cash award. See ya!

• Sp
    Sportsync3 Jun 08, 2011

I am in PA and same thing here. Signed up because they sent me a letter every week for nearly a year with all the "bonus" points you could accumulate from airlines, hotels, or retailers. Their advertisements also said on average their rates are 10% lower. I checked my electric rate (7.9kwh as of Jan '11) with their "current" advertised rate (7.2kwh as of Jan '11) and it was indeed 10% lower, so I signed up. No contracts, no cancellation fees is pretty rare too. First two months were great, bill was the same, rates as advertised. Third month (after I got my 'bonus' $50 Best Buy gift certificate) they jacked up my rate to 10.9kwh- thats a 51% increase. I called that same week to cancel, seeing as my original electric suppliers rates were still the SAME as 4 months prior. They wanted me to talk to a manager to lock me into a lower rate plan. I told them to find someone else to scam. The worst part is I have to deal with them for another 2 months because that's how long it takes them to process the switch back to my old electric supplier. I cringe at the thought of how high my rate might be on the last bill

• Fa
    Fabio G. May 14, 2011

I got here because yesterday someone with Energy Plus came to my business and offered some savings on my electrical bill(PSE&G). After reading all these negative comments Im very suspicious now too make the switch.
    But I do not see anyone talking about the savings on two of the areas that supposely they wont charge you, but PSE&G do, the generation Feee and Transmission Fee. Could this be possible that they will knock out those two fees? Sound to good and likeI said no one here had mentioned it.

• Je
    Jetsen1052 May 05, 2011

Energy Plus didn't save us money, like we had been promised, we have actually been paying over 15 cents per kilo watt hour (.15334 kWh to be exact). This has increased our bill by many dollars. I am ashamed to say that we could have paid for brand new all season Goodyear tires, good ones, on my wife's car for what we have been charged. Very sad that Energy Plus has to steal people's hard earned money that they need to live on.

markstar Mar 30, 2011

Seems like most of the complaints here are from NY customer.
    Sadly for them it seems most did ot even bother to ask what their historical rates were in that state. I called for NJ and tey are currently below the fixed rates of JCPL of .1269. Their quote was .1121 for the first month and told me they ahve been around.1121-.118 per KWH in NJ. HOWEER they have only been there for 4 months so yes, I wonder what the summer prices will be.
    But really it seems most just never realized what a STEAL NY energy is . It is your fault if you have not checked what your current rates were. Sorry but you have push some of the anger on yourself if you did not take the time to call both your current and future supplier. And thus it will be my fault if I try them without having the data from summer. But if they told you a historical summer and winter and they totatally lie, that is another story. BTW it should not be two cycles to switch back. It depends on supplier and when you call not the EP. It is up to the main carrier to when you get swtiched back. Best to go direct through them not EP.
    At most if you call enough ahead it should be one extra month.
    So really on these deals y ou should be at a fixed rate first month and at most 2 months at whatever rate they charge.

• Da
    dangrs Mar 20, 2011

If you are in Illinois with ComEd use their realtime pricing. I have it and in ten months I have saved over $600.

• De
    Delgardo Mar 07, 2011

Wow... I was just about to sign up a something told me to check this company out only because they gave me a particular wed address to go to and it stated not to put it into a search engine. I guess they were afraid I would find the bad press. Thanks a lot folks for posting, you all just saved me a lot of grief. I will have to find another way to earn more sky miles.

sge411 Mar 03, 2011

Response to EP supervisor,

Your response is patronizing and ignores the simple fact that you claim to offer competitive prices for energy within the markets you serve but offer no information about what your rates are. One only has to look at any of the many complaint boards to see that you have customers from every deregulated market you operate in, screaming about your deceptive practices and overcharging. To suggest that you are just now reviewing the complaints over the last several months is laughable. You have a tsunami of complaints dating back to 2008, all with the same theme. Give rewards, promise competitive pricing without details and gouge until your found out. Once your found out give back some of the ill gotten gains, to quite the unhappy customer.

These complaints are from all the states in which you operate. A quick look at the companies such as yourself that have a variable rate, shows that every company reviewed was higher than the local utility, Energy Plus had the distinction of being the highest "Market based product" out of all the companies and not by just a little. You were also the only "Market based product" company that doesn't publish historical rates.

I'm attaching a graph that shows in detail the rate you charged me over 22 months and the rate available from my local utility (National Grid). As you will see, the overcharging was not a random event. The first two months was similar to what was locally available and the next 20 months shows consistently excessive overcharging.

You state in your previous email that, and I quote " we want to be very clear about the fact that our product is variable and therefore may change on each month’s bill. We encourage all of our customers to review their rate and compare it to other offers to decide if it works for them. If at any time it is not favorable, please contact us and you may cancel at any time without any kind of penalty." This statement and other similar statements that your company makes in posting such as this and on your website is presumably how you stay out of legal trouble.

For those of you reading this response please Google Energy Plus Scam and you will see the many, many complaints from all seven states in which Energy Plus operates. Also you will see two web sites come up with this address, EnergyPlusScam.com. These websites are actually operated by Energy Plus and provides a so called education about energy deregulation and why it’s not a scam. They recently put up these websites so they could have some control over the "Energy Plus Scam" search results. They make no mention in the body of the website who they are. They welcome comments but oddly they did not post any of my comments.

I'm not sure how the graph is going to turn out on this, so here in print is the monthly rates that EP charged me per KWH and what National Grid was charging at the same (the national Grid rate is available on their web site). Also I've included the Energy Plus, percentage overcharge.

March 2009 NG rate .0477 EP rate .0488 2% EP overcharge
    Oct. 2010 NG rate .0525 EP rate .1366 127%EP overcharge
    Nov 2010 NG rate .0457 EP rate .1122 145%EP overcharge
    Dec 2010 NG rate .0445 EP rate .1215 173%EP overcharge
    Jan 2011 NG rate .0522 EP rate .1417 171%EP overcharge

Now to be fair, Energy Plus was giving me 3% back into my Upromise account and when I complained of this overcharging to Energy Plus they told me they had also not charged me a nominal tax that National Grid would have if I had been with them. But all-in-all I'd say that Energy Plus pretty much ripped me off. I would be very interested in your response, EP supervisor. If you choose to dispute any of my numbers, I'd be glad to post the evidence.

As I said in an earlier posting, I will be filing a complaint with the Public Service Commission as 80 other people did in 2010 and the NYS attorney general. The relief I seek, is to have Energy Plus stop doing business in New York State. I encourage anybody who has been taken advantage of by this company to do the same, even if they got their money back.

This last statement from the EP is the most insulting of all, "Our goal is to provide a valuable service so please know that we are listening and adjusting our program in response to your feedback. " Mr. EPsupervisor, please do tell what possible "vauable service" your company provides? As for adjusting your program in response to our feedback, try not laying out one misleading statement after another as to the competiveness of your energy product.

• Zu
    zulu701 Mar 02, 2011

I wish I would've done more research before I switched to Energy Plus. My electric bills almost tripled after I signed up with them. They gave me $75 for my Upromise account, but I lost hundreds of dollars in only 3 months by switching to them. The only thing I'm glad about is that it wasn't in the middle of summer when I was using more electricity. Just stick with your electric provider, NYSEG, or whatever, it's not worth taking the chance of getting overcharged just to save a couple bucks a month!

sge411 Mar 01, 2011

Please read this if you are considering switching your electric supply company to Energy Plus. (from original post on Feb 14, with minor accuracy revisions)

Over two years ago I switched to Energy Plus after speaking to one of their sales people. They told me I should see and an average of 7% savings over my current supplier’s charges in addition to getting 3% back into my son's Upromise account as well as a $25 signing bonus that would also go into the Upromise account. I believed Energy Plus's representation and I signed up. I now regret it and partially blame myself because I didn't’ listen to my wife. My wife knew something was wrong. She pays the utility bills and on several occasions she had told me that the electric bills seemed really high as compared to the past. I dismissed her concerns with a statement like "energy is getting more expensive, don't worry we have a good deal". I now know what an idiot I was not to listen to her. Last week my wife insisted I call to have the meter checked because of how high the bill was. I did call, and was shocked when National Grid told me that in my most recent bill, I paid over 14 cents per KWH to Energy Plus when National Grid was charging a little over 5 cents.
    I immediately called Energy Plus and spoke to a supervisor; this is where it gets interesting. The supervisor was apologetic and explained, that recently their cost had spiked but generally speaking, over time everything averaged out and that they offered competitive electric supply rates. I now know, that this word, "competitive” is a word Energy Plus uses a lot to cover their deception and presumably, walk the fine line of legality. Their idea and anybody else’s idea of competitive is quite different. The supervisor I spoke with did a quick review of my account and told me that indeed, over the last year I had paid a bit more than my original supplier would have charged but the year prior to that I had done well. He assured me that he would look at the last year of my bills and see if "some adjustment could be made".
    While I was waiting for the supervisors call back, I did a bit of investigating myself. I googled "Energy Plus Scam" and was not surprised to see the page fill with complaints of overcharging, then I took a detailed look at my last 22 months of Electric bills, noted the amount charged by Energy Plus for my energy supply and called National Grid (previous supplier) and got the amount they had been charging during the same period. The result of this simple check dropped my jaw in disbelief. I had been taken to the cleaners. The firstmonth after signing was nearly identical to my previous supplier’s rate followed by a mere 24% overcharge and then for the next 20 months, Energy Plus overcharged me from 100% to 178% more each month than what I would have been charged if I had stayed with National Grid. Most of the months, the overcharge was between 130% and 170%. I called the Energy Plus supervisor back and asked him to look back a bit further than one year because his representation that the first year of their service, I had done well, was much like the original sales spiel, not true. The supervisor then told me that, I shouldn't forget, that all the while I had been benefiting from the 3% rebate back to my son’s Upromise account and that their rate had been clearly stated on my bill. He went on to say that I could have canceled at anytime, free of charge and that as it turns out their company isn't as competitive (there's that word again) in my area as they are in other areas. I again brought up the salesperson's original representation of saving an average of 7% annually on my electric supply. The supervisor acknowledged that this was a statement that his company’s sales people would sometimes make.

The following excerpt is from Energy Plus’s web site as of 2/13/2011, “As with all variable rate plans, your supply price may fluctuate on a monthly basis – lower or higher – to reflect the current state of each power market. However, in order to make an informed comparison to competitive offers, customers should average their bills over the course of several months or seasons, rather than taking a snapshot of just one month. Our goal is to be competitive with other energy suppliers and your local utility company over the long run, while offering valuable rewards.” Well, I would say that Energy Plus was not very good at meeting their goal. Notice again the frequent use of competitive in Energy Plus’s well crafted statement. The statement implies savings and in essence says you really can’t make an informed decision unless you wait through seasons of their inflated bills to make a decision. Rather insulting, Energy Plus doesn’t list any rates past or current on their web site for a good reason, it would limit the number of people they could take advantage of. They rather you take their word, regrettably I did.
    The supervisor did get back to me that day, and offered me 600.00 and advised me that he didn't have to offer that. Six hundred dollars isn't close to what their overcharges amounted to. He went on to say that he was only able to go back one year in my account and that would be the best he could do.

I've severed my relationship with Energy Plus and have received the check.I will be filing a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission (80 complaints in 2010) and perhaps the NYS Attorney General in the coming weeks. It is scary that a company like this can continue to do business in NYS. Why hasn't the NYS Public Service Commission shut them down? Why have the Energy Plus, executives not been prosecuted for fraud. I hope that Upromise has or is in the process of disassociating themselves from Energy Plus.
    Bottom line; be very careful with these non-mainstream energy companies. As it turns out, (after checking Public Service Commission complaints) there are many companies like Energy Plus out there, preying on good people because they can. Somehow they are allowed to continue to do business, this is truly a buyer beware industry.

To add insult to injury, when I notified Upromise of this bad player affiliation that they have as mentioned by dozens of their members on the community board in the form of overcharging complaints, here is the exact text of my e-mail exchange with Upromise customer support. It doesn't give you the sense that Upromise does a lot of checking on the character of the companies they associate with or really care once it's pointed out to them as long as Upromise is getting some of the ill gotten booty.

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for being a member of Upromise.

We apologize for the difficulty you experienced with the services of one
    of our contributing companies. Unfortunately, we do not have any
    control over the policies of our contributing companies. Contributing
    Companies operate independently and are not under the control of
    Upromise with respect to the Service or otherwise. However, we take
    this as a feedback and would forward to the appropriate team of
    Upromise. We appreciate your bringing this to our notice.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reply to this e-mail
    or contact Upromise customer care at [protected], so that we may
    assist you further. We are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM
    to 9:00 PM EST.

Sincerely,

The Upromise Customer Care Team
    www.upromise.com

Did you know that when you open a High-Yield Savings Account by Sallie
    Mae®, you can earn one of the best rates in the nation?
    Learn more at http://www.upromise.com/member/deposit/savings.do

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

Dear Upromise staff.

Please stop your association with Energy Plus. Just google Energy Plus
    Scam to see all the complaints about their rates. They misrepresent the
    savings in a huge way.The last 20 months I was overcharged by 100 to
    over 175% as compared with the utility I had switched from for the same
    variable rate product.
    Your own community board tells story after story of the fraud that is
    being perpetrated on your members. It is Upromise that introduced me to
    Energy Plus.My post appears as user sge411.

madjoe Feb 24, 2011

I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and I too was seriously thinking about switching to Energy Plus Holdings, LLC because their rates at this time are lower than my utility company (Duquesne Light) plus they offer a $25.00 enrollment bonus after being with them for at least two months. Also, they claim that there will be a 3% cash back for every one dollar I spend on the supply portion of my bill. When I asked this company why I should make a change, they stated that they try to stay competitive with all electric suppliers and, if I'm dissatisfied, I could go back to my utility company and there's no cancellation fee. However, because of the warnings on so many of these blogs, I am very hesitant in making a change in my electricity supplier.

• Lu
    Luke5 Feb 17, 2011

I was subject to the same Energy Plus scam. They started me with the agreed 9 cents something rate, then I got some increasingly high bills and I thought it must be just the increased winter consumption. When I got hit with the latest I looked up their actual rate. They had jacked it up systematically by 1 cent a month, now 50% above current market rate in the middle of winter! Imagine the milking. I called and they said that they just had some increase "in the past weeks, due to market conditions"... Dismaying. If you got scammed too, you can call your main state supplier to switch immediately (and not wait 2 cycles), before deciding on another supplier.

• Le
    Lenore S. Rivera Feb 17, 2011

I just received my first bill from Energy Plus and was shocked!! I got a two-month bill for $1, 900!!! That is NOT a typo. That is almost $2, 000. I immediately called Central Hudson thinking that there was some kind of meter reading problem, and they pointed out that the problem was that I had switched from them (7 cents per kwh) to Energy Plus (20.7 cents per kwh). That's 300% of Central Hudson's cost! I tried to complain to an Energy Plus Manager, but affter waiting for more than 20 minutes, she came on the line and said she'd call me back. I never got a message. I will attempt to resolve this tomorrow, but if no luck, will be in touch with the Attorney General's office. I can't believe I bought into this scam.

• Th
    THS Feb 04, 2011

i got in the same situation, my bill doubled, when i wanted to go back to PSE&G i was told that i'll get two more bills from Energy Plus Holdings LLC and after will be charged my normal rate. so there is contract 2 month!! SCAMMMMM

• Rc
    RCC354 Jan 28, 2011

I too switched to them...from Con Ed NY...Con Ed's rate for Dec-Jan was 9 cents per kWh while they charged 19.8165...more than double...i wrote to question and complain...waiting for their response.

RC NYC

• Sk
    skt175 Jan 26, 2011

After being solicited by Energy Plus and almost taking them up on what appeared to be a good offer I feel compelled to add to these complaints. I contacted them by phone and email requested 2010 rate information. I understand that they have a daily variable rate but part of my research included what their average true rate was last year. They would not give me this information. This is a red flag and this company should be treated with serious scrutiny. I fall short of calling them a scam but I am convinced that they are being deceitful towards potential customers for a reason.

• Le
    leo li Jan 05, 2011

I got ripped off by Energy Plus too. My rate was increased from 0.08 to 0.19 per KWH. I was charged $100 more on my last bill. I switched back to the old supplier immediately.
    I do not understand why American Airlines and United Airlines allow this Energy Plus scam flyer to send to their customers.
    Thanks to this post.

• Ar
    Argenton29 Dec 22, 2010

Customers complaining about Energy Plus are perfectly right and they are not alone. New York Public Service Commission publishes a monthly report on complaints toward utilities and ESCOs: http://www.dps.state.ny.us/November_2010_MR.pdf, this is the November 2010 edition, Energy Plus is among the worst 5 ESCOs listed in term of complaints filed.

• Im
    imageguy01 Nov 14, 2010

After being informed by NYSEG that we had to do something soon, we received something in the mail from Energy Plus that sounded good...claiming lower rates than NYSEG and a 25% contribution to a college aid fund after the second month on board. Well...it's been three months since we switched to Energy Plus. The first month, our electric bill increased $134.46. The second month increase was $124.35. And the third month increase was $85.34! Where's the savings? And what about that college savings fund? Surprise! Another ripoff from a U.S. company. What the hell is going on in these United States????

• Di
    discobiy Nov 11, 2010

i AM NOT SWITCHING TO ENERGY PLUS AFTER READING ALL THE COMMENTS.

UPOMISE.com SENT ME AN offer ( with lot of fine print--rang alarm bells). i AM CANCELING MY ACCOUNT WITH Upromise.com AS WELL FOR NOT SCRUTINIZING ENEGY PLUS.

• Mr
    mrb13732 Oct 18, 2010

I too was scammed into switching and my electric bill promptly doubled!!!
    I am in the process of switching back to NYSEG and have already filed a formal complaint with the NY state utilities commission. Hopefully they can shut these criminals down!!

Jonny Love Sep 01, 2010

Energy plus company is a HUGE SCAM! It's the same concept the credit card industry uses to attract customers - "we'll give you best buy reward card points, airline miles and thank you points for being a customer." The SCAM is that they charge you 3x-5x the price per kilowatt compared to your local energy company so they not only rake in that recurring revenue, but they make money on kickbacks and referrals from their sponsored vendors.

The managing team is head by Richard Vague and he is slimy in the way he allows his team to do business. It's all about greed with this guy, he's from Texas and comes from the finiancial industry where he founded Juniper Financial & First USA that followed the same [censor] credit card rewards plans only to screw their customers over with the ridiculous high interest points the customers were paying!! Their management team is told to build their business with unsuspecting customers that think they are getting a deal by getting rewards and then covering up all the complaints and dissatisfied customers like it was a one time incident.

I personally know 6 people that used them in 2 different states and they ALL have had higher bills than before the switch! They all complained about the poor customer service and how fake they are over the phone. They play dumb and say the issues will be escalated to a supervisor when in turn they are just going in circles with all of them customers just to keep them locked in.

THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN & FINED! THEY ARE RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF IN ALL DEREGULATED MARKETS!!!

• Su
    Supercomputers90 Aug 16, 2010

Watch out They dont deliver on the points or miles and your rates will go up 200% before you know what happen and they will try to give you a hard time about canceling.

E-mail me to Join the Lawsuit.

[email protected]

• Su
    Supercomputers90 Aug 16, 2010

To make a long story short they ripped me off for a year before I put the whole thing together and realized what was going on. I was able to get my money back from them already if you can beleive it they sent me a check for what they stole over "1200.00+" from me within a few days. However I still want to go after them. Them sending my money back is proof they are steeling from thousands of people out there and dont want a loud mouth like me to stir the pot. Looking at the best way to go about this if you want to be part of it. Send me your Name, Address and number and how many months you were with them and the aprox amount of the fraud. I am going to do my best to pull this all together and at the least get peoples money back for them or show them how. Have spoken to a few lawyers and we are going to go after them.

Thanks