ECPIfinancial aid

J

I began attending classes with ecpi in march of 2008. My financial advisor was melanie bacon, who sent me an award letter with my grants, fafsa, and student loan information. She assured me that I was good to go, because I was very hesitant about attending the program due to the expense. I asked her several questions to make sure my award letter meant that my tuition would be covered, and she insisted that I was good to go. A few weeks went by, and melanie contacted me to let me know that there was an issue with my household form regarding the status of my niece, who was listed as someone I supported that lived in the household. Because, my niece's mother had claimed her on her taxes the previous year, I was advised to provide a reason for this. I asked melanie if we could just take my niece off of the household form and just proceed with the process. At that time, I filled out the household form again and emailed it back to her without my niece being listed. We moved forward, and I then started my classes. Two months later I received an email from melanie stating the there was an issue again with the household paper and that she had not sent them the new form that I emailed to her, so they had not been paid for any of my books or classes do the financial aid process not being processed. I had filled out all of the papers she requested in a timely fashion, emailed them back to her, and corresponded with her and heather savage frequently to make sure there were no discrepensies with my paperwork. They both affirmed before I started classes that I was good to go. I advised melanie after sending me the email, stating my aid had not gone through, that I no longer wanted to attend ecpi, because I entered into a contract with them assuming my aid had gone through and my classes were covered. I had even informed heather that I had just given birth to twins and was unemployed, therefore I was chosing to go back to college to further my education, so I could get into a career. Well I didn't hear from melanie again once I advised her that I wanted to withdraw from the program. Then, in the middle of october, I received a bill for $4, 300 due in full by november 1st. By this time, I had already been enrolled in a new college where my fafsa went through with no problems. I contacted chris lapicki and explained the situation to him. He then got together with other faculty at the school, and told me due to the circumstances of the events, they would not charge me the 4300, but only 1, 200. I told him I should not have to be responsible for any of the bill and that I didn't have 1200. He told me that was pretty much my only option. And the 1200 he said was to pay for orientation. How could orientation be 1200, and how can they charge me anything, when it was an error on their part?

RESOLVED

• ECPI University's response · Aug 26, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us about your experience at ECPI University. We'd certainly like to learn more, and we recommend that you please email [email protected] with the above information and be sure to include your phone number, email address, campus and program. Once we receive your contact details, we will pass your message on to the University Administration who will contact you for next steps. If you have additional questions, be sure to include them in the email to [email protected] Thank you!

• La
    lakishafields Jul 26, 2013

I agree I went to ECPI in Virginia Beach for 5 weeks and had to go out of town for a family emergency and was dropped after only attending 2 weeks. When I returned I called to see if I could reenter and was told I had to sit out 5 weeks, I had no problem with that but, a week later I checked my ECPI email and found I was scheduled for classes for the term I was suppose to sit out. I called and spoke to a rude student advisory who told me I couldn't return because all of my transcripts were not in, I advised her that the policy I was told is that I had 3, 5 week terms to get them in, she rudely said you dont and you have been dropped from the school. The only problem besides the employee being rude was that Veterans Affairs paid 3500 to them for 5 weeks that I never fully used. To me it sounds like a rip off you get 3500$ for 5 weeks for nothing and now I owe that money back. So I agree that the school is very expensive and a rip off.

• St
    Stangluv70 May 19, 2010

ECPI...lies to get you to sign the papers for enrollment...they tell you that they will support you all the way to the end...as soon as your tution is paid in full all of a sudden you dont matter!!! I strongly advise you find your education elsewhere!!!I wasted 15 months and a whole bunch of money for them to walk away from me at the last minute!!!support...ya right...its a business its no educational institution...Its all about getting the money!!!

• Wa
    Warriorflyer1 Jul 15, 2009

I went to the school in 88 or 89 and was roped into the student loan program and the 655.00 for admin and books. I was grantyed a 2250.00 Loan and withdrew within the required 8 weeks of the program since I was not learning anything and was told if I could not get it to get out...Then I find myself with a defaulted student loan now 6000 with interest and fees, no chance for refund and the school shows I finished the program. Funny how they scammed the programs and the owner of the company is on the Board of Directors for federal funding of post education. How great is this country to allow this legal fleecing of the system and take advantage of those that may not have gotten the education they were promised. ALSO...did I mention my Mother was a admissions SALESPERSON for them 8 years later in the Roanoke VA office. Now I know the real truth but proving this is harder than I thought. I have filed for a Loan Discharge based on the fact I withdrew from the school.

• Go
    goldi Jul 07, 2009

Similar thing happening to my fiance. He graduated from ECPI 2 years ago and is trying to apply to a state university but cant because ECPI wont release his transcript saying that now all of a sudden he owes 2300.

• Vc
    vcharles07 May 13, 2009

the same thing is happening to me as of right now, and now after a whole semester, my current school wont let me register for fall semester because ecpi wont release my official transcripts