Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In
The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website

Yankee Candle - Fragrance Fan / fan melted my tv

South Deerfield, MA, United States Review updated:
3.55
Contact information:
I emailed Yankee Candle customer support with my issue and received no response. So I'm going to post it here.

I bought a Yankee Candle Fragrance Fan a couple weeks ago. I set it up per the instructions, and placed it on top of our TV in the family room. It worked great and smelled great.

And then a few HOURS later, I picked it up to show my husband and realized that it had eaten a big ring out of the top of our TV. It ruined the top. I took pictures and sent them to Yankee Candle. I asked them to warn consumers that this could happen. No response.

Do not place these units on anything made of plastic. The warnings on the package don't sufficiently cover this kind of damage.
Va
0

Comments

Sort by: UpDate | Rating
Ph
  3rd of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
My wife recently purchased one of these fans and we LOVE it! The instructions (posted on the outside of the package, so you know what you're getting into before you even take it home!) warn you to "Avoid tilting diffuser. Always hold diffuser/refill in an upright position. Fragrance oil may leak..."

It pays to thoroughly read directions.
Be
  16th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
I DIDN'T tip it. I read the instructions too. It was the fumes that melted the plastic.

I emailed all this to Yankee Candle customer service and never received a response. Apparently, they don't care.
Ke
  6th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
Yankee Candle customer service is a joke. They seem to be very arrogant! NOT helpful. I've stopped buying from them because of it.
Un
  25th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
I had this happen with me as well, but it wasn't Yankee Candle's fault in my situation. I had one of the car oil jars and my mother borrowed me car one day, found the scent too strong, so unclipped it and put it in the upholder. Unfortunately, doing so made it tip and oil got everywhere. It completely "ate" the rubber lining in my cupholder...chunks and flakes of rubber everywhere. I had no idea fragrance oil could do that.
Ke
  11th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
I didn't have a problem with Yankee candle, but I had a similar problem with a Reed Diffuser. I had a Reed Diffuser on my entertainment cabinet and one of the sticks was touching my flat screen tv. The oil from the diffuser actually melted or ate away at the plastic on the TV. This is very upsetting because the TV was expensive and who would even think for a minute that the oil from a diffuser would destroy my TV. If it eats away at plastic then what is it doing to the environment or to people? Makes you wonder. Lets just say I won't be buying any more of these. I can't believe that anyone would sell these kinds of oils without huge warnings... it has to be harmful if it eats through plastic.
Sw
  13th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
Our Yankee Candle reed diffuser got knocked over on the window sil and spilled all over my hardwood floor. It seeped under a TV stand and everywhere the oil touched it destroyed the finish on the window sil, hardwood floor varnish etc. What a nightmare. Also the Car Jar air freshener ate away the plastic on the steering column of my new car because I had it hanging on the turn signal lever instead of the rear view mirror like most people do. I put it on the lever because I do not like things blocking my view of the windshield. I don't know what's in this stuff to destroy plastics but Like a previous poster mentioned, "If it eats away at plastic then what is it doing to the environment or to people". I'm done with the Yankle Candles.
Li
  20th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
i make my own scented candles from 100%soy wax, i dont like yankee candles myself
Li
  20th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME HTHR_HAYNES@YAHOO.COM I HAVE OVER 300 SCENTS TO CHOOSE FROM
Ne
  27th of Jun, 2010
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
I have had similar type incidents happen to me but always due to my own inattention (not completely reading the instructions and thinking that I "know what I'm doing").

I'm sorry to see Yankee Candle retire the Fragrance Fan. The battery that came with mine lasted three years; I also did not put mine directly on the sideboard or dresser -- I used a coaster. That wasn't in the instructions; however, it's how I roll. I never set anything on top of my television nor on the stand or the shelf below (except for the cable box and dvd player. It's electronic equipment and I treat it with care considering how much it cost. But that's just me (learned by experience from drenching a keyboard with a large cup of coffee, with sugar and cream).

As for the Yankee candles, I use a candle warmer, change the candle (scent) every now and then (or seasonal) since one becomes used to the scent. Plus, I've noticed that Yankee candles seem to burn more "dirty" (soot-like?) than soy. However, since I don't like fire, I rarely burn candles.

I think the Yankee Candle plug-in (diffusers?) are the best I've come across scent-wise, but are quite expensive. Every single brand I've tried will and has ruined a hard-wood floor (my own fault); so I don't think that is unique to YC and I have the spots to prove it.

BTW, I've only found a couple of soy candles that fit my candle warmer, and the scents don't seem to be as varied (since I don't like vanilla, coconut, peppermint). I've even tried adding scented oils -- expensive and doesn't help; can't use reed diffusers since the felines think the "sticks" are a new toy for them.

Sorry for the length: bottom line: YC is expensive and I generally only buy it when I have a gift card. Every time I ruin the floor/counter/etc., with one of these oil-scented contraptions, I could kick myself since I know better. MOO.
Ne
  27th of Jun, 2010
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
Well I guess since it's been retired, it's a non-issue; wouldn't you agree?

Second-degree burns from the fragrance fan? Wonder how that happened from a 9-v battery? Stranger things have happened I suppose (like our ceiling fan light turning on randomly -- yes, we've had it checked; son is an electrician) -- it's the ghost fan.

NM
Vi
  19th of Sep, 2011
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
i have put the reeds from my diffuser on a tissue and its gone through to my oak sideboard and left an awful stain. is there any way i can remove this any suggestions welcomed.
Many Thanks

Victoria
Sa
  20th of Aug, 2013
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
I accidentally spilled the reed diffuser and oil got all over my expensive dresser. That oil ate through the paint with reckless abandonment. This stuff is powerful. Remarkably, I got a lot of it all over my hands and was able to just wash it off. I guess it only reacts to certain types of surfaces.

Post your comment

Submit
Yankee Candle Logo Yankee Candle
Customer Service
Overall Satisfaction Rating

59 Reviews
12782 Riverdale Blvd NW
Minneapolis
MN
United States - 55448-1259
+1 763 323 9864
View Full Information
     

Reply to

close
Send