WildBlue Communications, Inc. / Mispresented product!

I had Wildblue Internet installed at my home 7 months ago. The service has never functioned properly. I have problems getting any internet service on a regular basis, and am constantly finding I cannot send or receive emails. After 7 months of constant complaining and troubleshooting with Wildblue, the company is still unable to fix the problem. I want out of my contract and they refuse, indicating I am responsible for paying for the last 5 months of the contract. The company has far from lived up to its promises in its contract. Most recently, I called the company about 3 weeks ago and said I wanted to cancel and it is no longer authorized to take money from my account. Guess what? They took money again two days ago without authorization to do so. I recently loaded dial up on my computer. It's faster than Wildblue's supposedly fastest package. I have filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB, and this company simply does not care!!!

A  13th of Apr, 2007 by
I cancel this account last month I had 1 month left on my contract the person I talk with said I would have to pay one month and I agreed. You had owed me two months for bad service I got from you and you said you would give me 2 months free.
Your people had put the satellite to far away and I was not getting good service for about 5 or 6 months they came and put the satellite closer to house where it should been put the start with. That is the reason you gave me the two months free in whack it should been 5 months since the system would not work any better than dial up.

With those free months and my contract was running out in a month she said they would only take out for 1 month in FEB. For $79.99. However, I check my credit card account and you took out $131.53 on 2/9/07.

It is a bad thing when you give your credit card information to a company and you have to keep check on it to make sure that they are not using it at their own free will. I have to waste my time trying to get it corrected.

You should not charge me any thing you having put the system in wrong to start with and I complain about the problem with your people and they would always say it was something wrong with my computer. Then finally a supervisor came out to my house and checks it and saw they had install it wrong to start with yet I was paying $79.99 for high speed internet that was no faster than dial up for 6 months and dial up is only 21.00 you figure who owes who.

I don’t want to pay anything NOW for the cancel early fee for one month; I want my $131.53 put back in my credit card account. In fact until it is done I’m going to post this information every where I can on the internet. I will FILE A COMPLAINT Better Business Bureau. I have 4 business websites that I will post the Wild Blue information plus anywhere else I can. Think about I paid $79.99 a month and after 6 month you came out and put the satellite closer to the house so it would give the correct single. I was told by one of you people one time that you couldn’t help it if my computer was slow.
A  4th of Jun, 2007 by
My system does not work either- with any clouds, with a router, cannot get email (or is four hours late), cannot reach tech support by phone, email or live chat, and local tech will not return phone messages. My advise to all is to get rid of wildblue as soon as possible and go back to snail mail if necessary to at least save your sanity. I plan to do just that first thing in the morning.
A  7th of Jun, 2007 by
We have had WildBlue internet service for 10 days and it has been down for 10 days. It has been out a minimum of 3 hours every night (7-10pm CST) because of over congestion of the gateway 124 out of Laredo, TX. Some days it is out 5-6 hours. It is unreliable and their customer service is horrible. We have called every night to complain and the response we are getting is that it is not guaranteed to be uninterrupted service. Okay, but I, like everyone else, would love to get online in the evening when I get off work. I work from 6am to 6:30 pm M-F and by the time I get home and try to use the internet, it has been out EVERY DAY. It doesn't come back up until well after I am asleep at night. I am getting zero use out of this $50 a month crap!

The company stinks, the service stinks and what they call Customer Service is laughable!
A  16th of Jul, 2007 by
I have Pro Pak using gateway 27 and while my service is up most of the time (except for 4 or 5 times during the day when it gets disconnected and takes about a minute to reconnect), I have other problems. Most of the time, I get major DNS lag, it usually takes 10-30 seconds to resolve a url and sometimes they just time out, my connection will go down for hours during rain and storms, and the usage meter seems to be incorrect. As far as the DNS lag, this has been tested by systems hooked directly up to the modem, and the OpenBSD, Linux, and Windows 2k Pro systems hooked up to the router, so this isn't just a problem with a computer or a router. To test the usage meter, I put a computer between the router and the modem to measure the traffic, then did my usual browsing for the day, downloaded some nerdcore, installed some stuff on my laptop, and checked the usage again. The computer showed 53MB had been sent to the modem and 416MB had been received from the modem, meaning there should have been an increase of 53MB in the upload and 416MB in the download since I checked it when I hooked up the system between the router and the modem. Instead, I saw an increase of 82MB in upload and 529MB in download.
A  6th of Nov, 2007 by
I am also having the same trouble with Wildblue. If it is cloudy outside there is no service. I have had Wildblue for about three months on an 18 month contract. Is there any way out? I am filing a complaint with the FTC, but will I have any results?
N  6th of Nov, 2007 by
SUCCESS!!! After two hours on the phone I finally got to an executive officer. I had asked the supervisor if they were under the governing body of the FCC or the FTC to see who to file the complain against. The man I spoke to was very nice and agreed to come and get the equipment immediately with no penalty. Keep trying you all!
A  14th of Nov, 2007 by
Going to small claims on Nov. 30, 2007. Wish me luck. I'll be printing out all these complaints and highlighting portions that apply to my case. Wild blue tech. hooked me up and it worked long enough for him to say "ok, you're all set" and leave. Then it went down and never worked again. After hours on hold and several calls over a period of days, I got the tech. out to my house again. This time he says, "it's your computer". I don't get it. It wasn't my computer when he first hooked it up but now..."it's your computer". I cancelled the credit card, went back to com cast, which works fine like it always did, and am taking these jerks to court because one of them actually told me on the phone, " it doesn't matter if it works or not, you still have to pay the early termination fee, equal to the months remaining on your contract". I don't remember reading anywhere that I'd have to pay for 12 months for nothing at all.
A  4th of Dec, 2007 by
I had the same problems. The internet is super slow, when it works. The e-mail does not work. E-mails I send do not go anywhere and e-mails I am supposed to get I never receive. Most of all I complained several times since the first day of service and they have done nothing. And now I have to pay for one year of a service I do not use, not to mention the cost of installing the satellite which came to almost $300 upfront. I really would like to find a way to get my money back. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? It is just really frustrating that we have no recourse for businesses like this one.
A  7th of Dec, 2007 by
Wildblue sucks. Not only is their service horrible (can you say 33K modem speed on top of all of those down ages?) but the installer pierced our water main & since he said "no he didn't," Wildblue won't pay for the repair. The address listed on an ad we rec'd inviting us to join (when we're already customers,) came back "address unknown.") Bad, bad, bad.
A  24th of Dec, 2007 by
This COMPANY is a RIP-OFF!!!! Don't go with WildBlue. Don't sign anything or you will never get rid of them. Make sure you read the fine print because once they have you there is no way out of it. Neither can you ever get through and the "they could care less attitude" will get you NO WHERE. Don't trust anyone who won't give you their last name but instead give you a "supposed" employee number.

Filing with BBB doesn't help. They only post your complain. What good is BBB. These people know they have you by your ----s!!!! Wildblue was referred to me by my satelite company (whom I have been for years and not sure I will trust them again if go back to them) From day 1 the servicemen could not get me connected. Don't sign even the service order.

Contact your local televison station about consumer rights and let them contact Wildblue. Write articles to your newspaper and send them a copy. I am finding out they don't like bad publicity. Get the word out any way you can to let people know that we are tired of being treated like dirt.
A  7th of Jan, 2008 by
If anyone out there is doing research on wild blue to see if you wont to switch to it DONT!!! Lag Lag Lag a dialup or dsl or cable internet get between .2 sec and .600 sec lag (time between you computer and the internet back) wildblue has never been below 1.8sec lag for me. The tech came out and said it was my computer that it dident have windows xp well guess what when i asked him to put his laptop on the internet and see if it was any faster with his windows xp laptop he said it wouldent work (how stupid do they think i am). I have 2 pc's both running windows 2000 i have taken them both over to a friends house that has cable internet and the lag is never, NEVER under .5 sec.
So DONT GET WILDBLUE INTERNET!!!! EVER!!!! I hear sprint and at&t have wireless internet that is 3mb a sec with no lag ill post again after my contract if sup with wildblue and let you know how well that one work.

Ps. They never told me there was a limit to how much you could download a month before they left with my signature on the paper!
N  10th of Jan, 2008 by
The reason you get so much lag on wb is becouse it is satalite. If nasa cant get a signal to L.E.O (low earth orbit), which is where the satalight is, what makes you think that wb is able to give you the same latency times as ground based lines that dont have one tenth of the distance to travel. Oh and you said that you didnt know about the download limits, how about this, READ YOU DAMN CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT. Is it a new concept for you to read a binding contract before signing it. Good lord people dont be so ###ing stupid.
A  10th of Apr, 2008 by
I don't see how any other ISP could be as bad as wildblue. i got hooked up with wb only because i called DIRECT TV and they said wb was only one available in STOKES COUNTY, N.C. on 12-28-07 and was installed on 1-10-08. lost internet connection about 3-4 hours after hooked up. you are on hold as long as 2 1/2 hours just to talk to someone at wildblue then a lot of times you suddenly get a busy signal. wildblue even started charging my credit card and i never gave them them the number or told them to charge to it. They won't even tell me how they got the number, but i only gave the # to DIRECT TV on 12-28-07 to pay for total installation and equipment i needed for wildblue. then installer came on 1-10-08 had everything hooked up except modem when he asked me was i paying him by cash or check. i told him i'd already paid for complete installation and he said no you owe me $215.00 which i felt i had to in order to get hooked up. The installers name was WILLIAM BROOKS and he said he worked for DSI.

I beleive DIRECT TV;dsi and WILDBLUE should be investigated for conspiracy;CREDIT CARD FRAUD AND I'M SURE other things that is just not right. I have filed a complaint with BBB in DENVER, CO. AGAINST WILDBLUE.

A  6th of Aug, 2008 by
I purchased the highest package available from Wilblue, ProPak back in Feb. 08. Ever since then, it has been slow and losing connectivity in Sunny weather. We rarely have rain here so I don't understand how there's a signal problem arising out of nowhere. We were promised, both on the Phone, the Webpage and a technician that came to our house that we will get at least 1.5 MB/s download and 256 KB/s upload. So far I have never gotten past 150 KB/s. I tried calling WB and asking them why I don't get my speed. I explained to them that we were promised we'd get 1.5 MB/s. She said "We would never say anything like that." If Wildblue ever promises you something, get it in paper. The contract is void if Wildblue doesn't hold up their end of it. Sue the pants off of them.
A  31st of Oct, 2008 by
I had WildBlue service for almost 3 years. During that time I never had the speeds that they claimed. The best performance I had was recorded through an online speed checking service as 364kbs. Far below the 1.5mb+ I was promised and was paying for.
However that is only a small part of my issue with WildBlue.

During the month of May of this year my service got sporadic. It would be on for an hour then would go off for anywhere from several hours to the entire day. This would repeat for the next couple days before I contacted WildBlue technical support.

Technical support took me through the basic reboot of the system and stated that they were unsure what the problem was and to call back. Upon calling back with my ticket number I was redirected to another support individual that stated, "We're unable to identify what the problem is. You need to schedule an onsite service call."

When I asked how much the onsite service call was I was told that since my initial 2 year service contract was up it would be, "$120.00 for the service call and $199.00 for parts.., or I could sign another service agreement and the service call would only be $120.00 with no charge for parts."

Frustrated I grudgingly agreed to the later of the two fees and scheduled the service call.
The service call date came and went with no contact from WildBlue or the service technician.

A week after the intended service call date I received a call from a technician that claimed to work for WildBlue and wanted to reschedule the service call stating that I wouldn't have to wait the two weeks I had waited before for the service call date. I rescheduled the service call for the following week.

Three days after the second service call date when no one showed up or called I called WildBlue customer support and requested to talk with a manager. I was told that there weren't any managers at the call center location. When I asked how I could get in touch with a manager that I wanted to complain about the service and treatment I had received I was told that I could write to a PO Box address and that they didn't give out the phone number to the corporate headquarters.

I was also told by an operator who identified herself as Maria, "If you submit a complaint in writing I can't guarantee that your account won't be canceled."
During this time my credit card had been billed two months for service that I wasn't receiving.

I immediately asked for my account to be canceled. At this point I was transferred to a supervisor who confirmed the cancellation of my account.
Several days later I received a call from a WildBlue technician requesting to set up a service call date. I called customer support again and found out they had not submitted the service cancellation that I had requested days before and I restated that I wanted my service canceled.
This was in August.

This month, October, I received an email from WildBlue containing an invoice for last month's, September and this month's service charges in the amount of $166.76 which is consistent with two months billing of $83.38 which was my previous monthly amount. They state that unless I pay this amount in a timely fashion I will be reported to the credit bureaus.

They are effectively trying to charge me for the months of September and October after I canceled my service in early August. The bill for October $105.34.

I have registered complaints with the BBB and FTC. They have neglected to respond. I have logged my complaint on [redacted].com and will continue to file complaints on every venue on the internet.

This is a company that needs to be put out of business.
N  7th of Nov, 2008 by
I'm actually shocked by the experiences of this post. I at one time became a authorized installer of Wild Blue and thus a Dealer. My problem wasn't getting the equipment to work, however it was getting equipment (the dish and router). I did however receive one set and installed it successfully. I check periodically with my customer and they have never had any issues. Obviously, if it is 'heavily cloudy', such as in a sever thunderstorm or winter snow storm, connectivity suffers. I'm curious how many of these installs have been done correctly. I find that the installers are typically those having experience setting up TV dishes. That does not qualify them alone.

Wild Blue has very strict specifications to follow for installation.

I have 13 years experience in Computer Support and thought it would be 'fun' to get the experience installing this technology. I now work for myself with my own company.

I'm looking to get back in with Wild Blue despite your experiences. (Although it has made me think twice.) I would suggest, if you are really serious about getting this to work, go back to Wild Blue and have them send someone directly from Wild Blue back out to get it installed correctly and demand them to 'restart' your contract. Have them deduct everything you've paid thus far on the last period and apply it to the next contract. For one, they would be interested in 'signing' a new contract, you should get qualified persons directly from WIld Blue. "Don't" accept anything but perhaps an installation instructor from Wild Blue.

Another thing you will need to acknowledge; make sure your computer is working properly. I mean it! If you have the ability, buy a new computer! Vista has issues, why not problems with Vista and Wild Blue? Additionally, if it were me, and I don't look to spend anymore money on a new computer, trust me, back up your files, and re-install your operating system.

Don't use the system restore programs built into your computer. These may install copies of Norton or McAfee together. Don't use SpySweeper. If you have someone work on your computer, do so with someone that does not use Norton! It is the number one reason I have as much buisness as I do. Norton does not protect your computer and further causes issues connecting to things like WIld Blue. I'd suggest using Trend Micro. If you've had Norton, remove it using Symantec's tool downloadable online.

I hope this helps, if you need to e-mail me, please do so, I'd be happy to give you a few more of my 2 cents.
A  15th of May, 2009 by
I had issues with Wildblue service. Poor customer service, uncaring, less than a call center robot. I cancelled my service after about a month of poor connectivity and slow speeds. I had their fastest service available. they had told me that it was comparable to DSL which it isn't. I closed the account that they would auto debit from and then cancelled the service after they had told me that I would NOT have to pay disconnect charges.
About 4 months after I got an invoice from them for the disconnection fee from a collection agency, I called Wild Blue (WONDER IF IT WILL WORK)and told them who I spoke to and they said they weren't authorized to offer that. I paid the charges reluctantly and 1 month after I paid the charges Wild Blue reported it as not paid on my credit report.
I logged a complaint with the BBB and got no satisfaction
A  2nd of Apr, 2010 by
So where is the Class action law suit i can join. I too got WB as i was told they were fast but I found the Download speed to be 20K and the upload avbout 10K That is worse than the dial up I started with years ago. DSL was far better even though kept losing my IP address.

I wrote WB the other dat but don't expect a reply from seeing all these complaints. So again why don't we have a class action law suit to get out of the contracts and reimbursed?
A  21st of Apr, 2010 by
we too suffer with paying for highest package and get 200-300kb should be getting 1500 upload of 3kbps yes you read that right! We have no other choice right now but to continue as we are in a rural area with no other internet options. When we bought our new computer the computer geek guys said that wildblue doesn't have enough satellites to handle the amount of customers that is why during peak hours we all have crappy internet. He told me not to expect it to get better only worse as they we not sending up anymore sat in the near future. I asked about hughs net and he said they have even less sat's like maybe 3 vs. 12 with wildblue. Until wildblue gets enough pressure to put up more sat's nothing will change with the speed issues. Federal Trade and BBB need to hear that you are paying for something and not getting it. Face it, our dollar needs to go farther these days not shorter. I haven't had customer service issues as our internet wildblue comes from a reseller and all issues go thru them.
N  8th of Apr, 2011 by
stupid me I have had wildblue for 2 years. I hate it. it is slow. I have emailed the ceo the better bussness people. I call at lest once a month. They told me that for them to come out I have to pay them $95.00 for a service call. You know where I told them to go. It is sick that we have to pay $87.00 for slower then slow speed. On top of that there is no office to go to to talk to anyone just the phone and they can sure hang up on you. I can't afford to go with another service as it cost $300.00 to $400.00 just to try another one and I hear hughes net is not any better. These people are sick but then we all should drop them get a lawyer and sew them for the money we have to put out because of there lies