WildBlue Communications, Inc. / Poor service, rude employees, bank fraud and on and on!

10/31/06 ORIGINAL COMPLAINT:

I've waited a few months to write this because I wanted to be certain my rage and hostility had settled down. My WildBlue experience is one that lawsuits are made of. If I dared to want to waste my time filing complaints about them, I would. Aside from lodging one complaint with the state of GA, I'm done with WildBlue. Instead, I'm telling everyone I know to stay away from this company.

My installer no-showed for the first, second and third scheduled appointments. WildBlue subs out installation through DSI who subs out through somebody in the local area. In my case, this was American Communications. They, in turn, sub out to somebody even more local. I had to go through this chain-of-command to track down who it was that stood me up. The whole process is ridiculous. Eventually, the installer phoned me and managed to show up. I'll skip all the small talk he made and get to the point: when he couldn't get "all green lights" on my service, the guy left! He told me that I had to call WildBlue and tell them to send me a new part. That was that. I was left with no service, out $60 for the pole, staring at $299 worth of equipment and wondering WTF I had just paid for.

It took TWO weeks to get another installer scheduled to replace the defective part. When he arrived, he told me the part was recalled 3 months ago and that the initial installer would have known that. He then realized that my cable was not approved by WildBlue and would have to be replaced. Afterwards, he was still unable to setup email or other online WildBlue services (such as viewing my bill). I gave WB one more week and then called up to cancel under the 30-day money back guarantee.

Three weeks and two phone calls later, I get credited for my equipment. That still leaves the $80+ for service that I never had. WB says they credited my bank account $20 and $40 (still not $80) back in September. My bank says that isn't true and WB says now that I have to send them my bank statements to prove they didn't refund my monthly service fee.

None of that compares to the final blow, however. Just last week, I got an email from WildBlue stating that they had billed my credit card (debit, actually) for $791. I phoned WB and got the biggest attitude and run-around you can imagine. Eventually, the rep told me that WB did "attempt" to get the money but "since we didn't get it, you don't need to worry". I lost my cool for the first time in a long time but nobody there cared.

A trip to my bank, a talk with the bank manager and one fraud warning later, WildBlue is locked out of my accounts and finds themselves at the top of my list. Crappy service is one matter. Attempted bank fraud is another.

Even if slow dial-up is your only option, avoid this company. Unless, of course, you can afford to miss 3 or 4 days of work (without pay) waiting for an installer that never shows, want to pay for equipment you can't use and can afford to have a random $791 sucked from your bank account.

11/08/06 UPDATE

Well it has come down to me deciding over a BBB complaint, a state of GA complaint and/or legal action. The staff tells me that this matter is "over their head" and they can't seem to fix the problem. If they need help with that, I'll step up. More updates to follow. As of now, I have filed a BBB complaint and asked for my $87.92 back for the monthly fees, 1/2 of my lost pay, 1/2 of a monthly cell bill and a letter stating I do not owe WB anything.

Today, I received this email:

Dear: NICOLE

Our records indicate that payment on your account is overdue in the amount of $791.43. If the amount has already been paid, please disregard this notice. If you have not yet made a payment, please contact WildBlue at [protected] (option #2) to make a payment while this reminder has your full attention.

Failure to make full payment within 10 days will result in suspension or termination of your service. In addition, we will take other actions to enforce our rights under the Customer Agreement, including reporting your account to a collections agency.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

WILDBLUE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
P.O. Box 4427 Englewood, CO 80155.

Comments

• Wi
      1st of Feb, 2007

I contacted the BBB and here is my report Now it is time to contact My State Attorney General. This worked for me when I had problems with Direcway / Hughesnet.

Filed against :

P.O. Box 4427
    Englewood, CO 80155
    1-866-WildBlue (945-3258)
    Complaint Description:
    I signed up January 5, 2006 and the automatically took the money out of my account for the dish. I have been waiting over a week for an installer. I contacted them on my installation date which was set for the morning and they later changed it to the afternoon. Then later that day I called in and they said they would not make it due to weather. So they rescheduled me for the following Monday. If it takes this long to get an installer out here how long will it take if I have technical problems!? I later called them and told them I wanted to cancel and they told me they would not refund me the money for the dish which they took out of my account the day I signed up for $299.00 and I would still have to pay for a full year of service which is another $264. I have a problem with a company that takes your money and takes there time installing and telling me that I broke the contact. They never lived up to their end of the agreement. WildBlue is another Directway HughesNet. Now I am stuck with a dish and no service since they will not refund me the money. I would never do business with WildBlue or HughesNet again. I called in yesterday and they said someone would get back to me. I was never called!! I called today January 16th, 2007 and they told me the same thing. I paid for this service and now I am obligated to pay for another 12 months when they never lived up to their end of the deal. I am tired of the run around. They told me when I first signed up that if it is scheduled on a certain date then the company they have doing the job will be out because they hired them to do so!! Thank you.

• Ra
      8th of Apr, 2007

Wild Blue is not a good company if we had any other choice we would go back to dial up this instant.

• Ed
      21st of Jun, 2007

This is the WORST company I have ever dealt with by far! 45 minute to an hour hold times to be told there is nothing they can do. I have waited for a month now for an install. Canceled 3 times, the last by an installer that wanted $75 cash " for the cost of my gas" to come to my home and install. Today they guaranteed installation and guess what?? No installer!!! I am beginning to think this company is some fly by night outfit based in a basement somewhere. Their guarantee is nothing because they offer nothing in return for breaking it. Their service is sub-par at best and who knows if the service even works, since they will not install the equipment. Today they even told me to call a local dealer and see if they would come out and install the equipment for me. Of course I would have to then pay for my "free installation" and Wildblue made no offer to pay or reimburse my cost to me. I already have a complaint with the BBB against Wildblue and I guess the Attorney General will have to be next, since they will not even give me my money back for their worthless equipment!

• Pa
      26th of Jun, 2007

Wildblue Communications is a scam operation. Their service to their customers is in reality no service at all, but in fact a disservice! I have been toleration this company for a year now. The Wildblue disservice has cost me $49.95 a month for the year, as well as the $299 equipment charge. I would have been better off with dial-up internet, and it couldn't be any slower.

Now that my year is up, Wildblue is giving me the runaround as I try to go through their channels to disconnect the disservice. I have had to go to my bank to put a STOP on the automatic withdrawal. I am sure that they are used to that so they probably have figured a way around it -- we will see. Maybe this stops here. If not, I have already wasted a lot of money on Wildblue so I might as well wast some more on a lawyer!

10th of Jul, 2007

I agree with all these complaints - i just had wild blue installed here - and its virtually useless, along with the installation, speed, support - i cant cancel, so i'm stuck with what i consider garbage for the next 18 months - you got dial-up? - Do yourself a favor and stay with it if thats all available - i really i could get a lawsuit going for a refund, they CANNOT deliver what they preach.

16th of Aug, 2007

Wild Blue is awful! I got hooked up about 3 weeks ago and it is off more than it is on. If anyone knows a way out of this contract, please let me know.

Chris.

• To
      24th of Aug, 2007

2 years of this nonsense SCAM!

• Do
      26th of Aug, 2007

Hi, I am a wild blue installer in northern michigan outside contractor, have installed over125 systems with only 3 service calls bad trias when I leave the customers home, they have my card with home phone# and cell# they call me not wildblue, I also have wildblue and have not had any problems I have the val pak and get 525kbps down load and 125 kbps upload thats running through a linksys wireless-G router with 4 computers running, if your installers are not using the wright cable swept tested to 3.3 gherts or improper fittings did not peak dish right this well slow you down not sure what states you are in but they must be in need of some good contractors.

• Al
      15th of Sep, 2007

I to have had alot of problems with the wild blue service, outages, slow I pay for their best package and today 9/15/07 I have had very slow speeds for two days, they say it Loredo Texas thats my GATEWAY storm ect. They have sent out service people at my exspence to fix what was poor installation by their so called certified installers, that not right. I will not suggest this service to anyone. poor to say the least I will find somthing that works. They should at least compensate you for the times that the service is down I will send a complaint to my BBB and my states attorney office rip off....

Alan ST. Louis

26th of Sep, 2007

Wildblue sucks! They do not deliver what they promise and their contract is so tight that that they are covered in every possible way. The contract even says they do not guarantee the service that you are paying for! What they hell kind of outfit is this? You would think customer service would be a priority but apparently not. I so wish we could start a class action lawsuit, get our money back that is due to us and save hundreds or thousands more people the heartache that is caused by Wild Blue.

8th of Nov, 2007

I agree that Wild Blue totally sucks. I have had the service for about 6 months and it has been slow or no connect the entire time. During the first month i tried to contact them 4 times over the phone with 30 to 45 minute wait times. I eventually abandoned that idea and tried to e-mail them several times with my complaints and my return phone number. No calls were ever returned but i did get some replies to a few e-mails stating that I need to call and speak with a representative before any action could be taken. Today 6 months into the service plan I went to my bank that represents the credit card I am using for automatic billing for Wild Blue and told them about my dis satisfaction and they called Wild blue and actually got through, the rep that my bank was talking to immediately got an attitude and said that they had no record of me ever contacting them and I said of course you don't because I could never get through. Now they gave me a different number to call than the one on my contract or in the e-mails that they had replied to and assured me that if I called there that they would resolve these issues. I had 6 issues that I wanted to resolve and their answer was that my computer is the problem and I need to take it to a repair shop. I WILL WIN THIS BATTLE and they will still s*ck!

30th of Nov, 2007

You know that you people are pathetic. I work for wildblues tech support and I agree that there service sucks. BUT you read the contract that EVERYONE has to sign, you knew that the service was not guaranteed, and yet you signed the contract anyway. How stupid is this. Even if you didnt read the contract, as iv had so many people claim, what kind of idiot signs a binding contract without reading it. If you want to think of it this way wildblue has many many times more satisfied customers than dissatisfied ones. The idea of a class action lawsuit is ridiculous because even if you did get it in to court one of 2 simple things will kill your case and it would more than likely be the first. 1. THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED, you know the one that stated that WB could not guarantee your service due to the uncertainty of a sate light connection. If that fails you dont think that WB has some bad ### lawyers that would shred anyone you could get to take the case like an old paper bag. Im not saying that you cant rant about ### service, by all means do. Im just suggesting that before you go off on a ranting rampage threatening to file lawsuits, think about what your saying.

• Cl
      5th of Dec, 2007

The history of service with Wildblue is a painful one and I will be leaving this company as soon as another option is available and any contractual agreements are fulfilled. The issue now, past many others, is that the bandwidth limitation is so severe as to be impractical. I have done some computations after being shut down to 100K speed because of bandwidth limitations.

Calculations show that only 1 full day of downloading per 30 days of service is available with this company. This equates to approximately 250MB per day (7500MB per month total is available), which is nothing nowadays in the internet world. I am unable to carry on simple and ordinary functions with financial software over the net, and it affects my livelihood.

I am whittling my way back into the accepted range-it will take me at least 2 weeks with severe restrictions on my software use. There is nothing extraordinary about the software that I am using. This limitations is completely unreasonable. In addition, Wildblue choked my service without any prior notification even though their Fair Access Policy states they will notify you at the 80% level.

This company is completely unsatisfactory for many many reasons. But now it is at the point where are they are essentially non-functional. Avoid this company if at all possible if you have serious or business needs for internet service.

• We
      24th of Dec, 2007

This company is a FRAUD. Watch out for their installors to. Don't sign anything until you are satisfied with the equipment and service. If you sign even the work order and not the contract, the servicemen will forge your name to it. Wildblue will deny and won't let you out of the contract. File with the BBB and anyone who will listen. Write your news station that helps people settle disputes with consumers right. Write an article in the your newspaper and send it to Wildblue. Even see about if anyone will help you pay for a billboard to get the word out on this company. Get creative and use the internet to get the word out. I would have never went with this company except Dish Network was the one who referred me to this company. Dish Network also
    installs the satelite for this Wildblue. The company that sent the men to install my was from DSI.

27th of Dec, 2007

I belive Wild Blue must be run by arabs who hate americans being that they are all you ever talk to when calling for problems. I to have Wild Blue and crappy service. On a side by side comparison with walmart dial up vs wildblue I was able to play an entire clip from you tube quicker with dial up. When I called WB about this they were rude and unhelpful. I called again to speak with a superviser and they sent a technician within a week to look at our connections. Here is what happened: They increased our connection speed to make everything look fine. It was almost like DSL amazing...then 4 days after the tech left they dropped my speed and now same old same old crap that takes forever to open yahoo email. Or 80 percent of the time connection fails. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE THIS SERVICE. I thought it was all that was available to me... there of course were other alternatives... sprint mobile broadband 59 a month and same with verison... its not the fastest in the world but compared to dial up and wild blue its GOLD. Dial up verses WB... I would definately choose dial up. The cancelation fee for a crppy service is 600 bucks with wb... STAY CLEAR STAY CLEAR WB is a fraud company out to screw its customers.

• St
      31st of Dec, 2007

I am just floored with this so called broadband company.60 bucks a month for something I can get from a 5 dollar dialup. A contract should not protect a fraud against the consumer . You don't even see the damned contract untill after they take your money and send the equipment. What really gets me is my directv will go up 10 bucks a month if i do cancel service with WB. I'm telling everyone I know to avoid it. Has anyone evergot out of the contract?

2nd of Jan, 2008

First I dont know who you are calling becouse all of wbs techs are in america. Once again you read the contract and you still sighned the damn thing. Get some brains or shut the hell up. Just becouse they brought the contract dosent mean you have to sign it. If you dont like the terms do what every other senceble person would do and not sign it. Also dont think that WB is bad for everyone just becouse you screwe yourself by signing an airtight contract. Yes wb sucks for some people there is no argueing that, but saying you got screwed becouse of the contract is you own fault. Simple words of advice, WISE UP AND SHUT UP.

• De
      26th of Jan, 2008

Some one needs to do something about Wild Blue and the way they treat their customers. We need to start taking a stand against dishonest companies. These people need to be shut down, tar and feathered and ran out of town. Funny how no seems to know who runs the company, much less their so call lawyers won't allow the employees to have access to their phone number. The same people that you talk to work in customer service also works in the so called "retention department". There's something wrong here. They to be investigated. I am plan on filing with FCC because BBB surely is a joke!!!
    I don't about you but I not going to let these people rip me off. And by the "John the Butcher if you want to get your point across, maybe you need to SPELL!!!
    Hooked on phonics worked for me!

27th of Jan, 2008

Deanne Marso,

Aparently hooked on phonics didnt work for you. I admit I cant spell but if your going to critisize someone else you should check your own posts first. I spotted at least 5 grammer errors in you short post. By the way everything in my posts are true.

• Sd
      4th of Feb, 2008

I count myself extremely fortunate bc I asked about internet service when I had my DISH network installation. Luckily, the installer told me that WildBlue is VERY slow and that there have been many, many problems. I might be in the shoes of the people here who have been burned had this man not been upfront and honest. Good luck and thanks to all of you who have shared your horror stories. It can be such a pain to log them, but you save others a lot of hassle.