Westgate Resorts - Vacation Package / Westgate Resorts is duplicitous

1 5601 Windhover DriveOrlando, FL, United States Review updated:

The State of Florida protects the interests of business' over those of consumers.

Caveat Emptor when dealing with Westgate Resorts, and the State of Florida.

My fiance and I were solicited, and accepted (mistake) a great deal from Westgate Resorts regarding discounted hotel rooms and shows in Las Vegas, Nevada. If we gave Westgate Resorts $159 we would receive, among other benefits, a vacation package that included the aforementioned discounts. That sounded great as I am sure it could have been.

We were solicited the deal months in advance of the actual dates and times we were to go, and at that time our lives permitted the trip. However as the time neared for us to go, our circumstances changed and we were unable to take advantage of the vacation package offered by Westgate Resorts.

We called Westgate to get a refund, and to our surprise we were told sorry. Westgate Resorts have cancellation policies/rules that read as follows:

"Any travel date cancellation/change within 7 days, will result in a $25 service fee

Any travel date cancellations/changes made within 72 hours of arrival are subject to a service fee of $25 plus the first night's room rate at the non-promotional rate. No refunds will be made for No Shows or early check-outs."

Westgate Resorts terms and conditions mention the latter, but do not mention what to do if you cannot make the trip at all. If we had cancelled within the 7 days and paid the $25 service fee and received a refund of $134, we would have understood that. However, we called to cancel outside of that 7 day period and were told we had no way to recover any portion of the original $159 paid. We were given the chance to postpone the vacation package (time slots) for an additional 3 months or 6 months for $19 and $50 respectively. That would be great, but the reason we could not go still existed, so going later in the year did not negate the fact I could not go and wanted a refund.

It was explained to me by a well rehearsed manager of Westgate, that it is the State of Florida which says that once a solicitation has been made and accepted any money paid is non-refundable after 14 days. (Nowhere was that mentioned in the paperwork given to us by Westgate Resorts). The manager then told me that people who sign up for these vacation packages do not intend on canceling them, and I should have asked about cancellation policies if that was a concern of mine. Well I am not a fortune teller and did not know I would lose my job 2 months after agreeing to the $159 for the vacation package. Let me tell you how bad I wanted to reach through the phone line, and ...! However I am Christian.

All in all Westgate Resorts would not refund our monies paid, and basically said their hands were tied because of Florida Law, and I should talk the state if I had issues. I think that is very convenient that this non-refund law is not mentioned by Westgate. It is unfortunate that you have to get taken advantage of once before to know these sorts of things. My advice to everyone is make sure you are going to be able to go to these silly time share events, and know what state laws are applicable regarding refunds before you sign up for what sounds like a to good to be true opportunity. Otherwise you will get suckered into buying some guy from Nebraska who signed up for the same deal and was able to go, a round of drinks.

Va

Comments

• Co
      14th of May, 2008

just because you cannot cancel doesn't mean that you are not entitled to the vacations...just reschedule it. call 800-925-9999 they'll help you.

• Kr
      12th of Jun, 2008

My ex husband and I purchased a Westgate timeshare. After the required waiting period (one year back then), we booked a one-week stay in our beautiful condo in Orlando, Florida. We "purchased" a 2 bedroom condo with all of the bells and whistles. When we arrived, we were told we had to take a 1 bedroom garden terrace apartment instead because there was a convention in the area and our condo had been occupied by someone else who had been a member longer. Instead of refunding our payments or pro-rating the difference, they shooed us away and we were still locked into a multi-year contract of monthly payments. We were very angry about it and never received any resolution from Westgate.

• Ke
      22nd of Sep, 2008

Westgate and anyother timeshare company should not be above the law. The people have a ligitmate complaint. I got conned by them. They did not give me all the documents so I was not aware of the 5 day rule and they basically said oh well you still have to pay for it. I may pay for it but I will be damn if I will use there facilities. I also am thinking of getting a shirt that reminds everyone that they have a limited number of days to cancel. I have been fighting with them for a year and a half now. I like the comment that everyone is like family at Westgate. I never screwed over any of my family members. I hope someone comes up with a class action law suit I would probably join in.

• Ca
      8th of Oct, 2008

I am very interested in a class action suit against WestGate Resorts. I have paid over $7000 and have only visited the resort twice! I have an every other year timeshare and upgraded last year. They told me for upgrading, I would receive a "Bonus Week" this year. They failed to tell me that it would cost $499 to use this week! After all the money that I have forked over!!! They tell you what they want to suck you into their scams... but you cannot do anything about verbal promises... they asked me if I had any of my promises in writing... they know how to cover themselves!!!

• Su
      11th of Oct, 2008

check out this you tube - read the comments even the employees are mad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31trCMcPoRQ&feature=related

• Th
      26th of Oct, 2008

I have been a member of WESTGATE Resorts for over 20 years. I traded two units for a Town Center unit (Week 31). I have used the exchange program many times for a modest $129.00 exchange. My unit was considered Red Time and always has been. Now they want me to pay $500.00 to make an exchange telling me my unit is not Red time. I am looking for others who have been having the same experience to see if there is interest in a class action law suit. RCI still lists my unit as Red time.

• Ro
      28th of Oct, 2008

I have read many complaints against this company, Westgate Resorts; it is time to start a Class Action against them. This company is doing business using bad business practices. If someone is working in a class action please contact me, I am very interesting on be part of that. When they call you they harassing you, they do not care. The legal department never answer, never return calls. The government needs to be aware about the company’s business conduct; the taxpayer should have rights against this big company that are playing with the good customers’ credit and reputation. If the Florida State is wrong or if is playing just in the benefit of the big company (Westgate Resort), well, we have to try to escalate the situation and go over them to get results, lets go for a Class Action. I have never used my time, they lie to me and I do not want to have business anymore with this company, but I do not want to miss with my credit.

• Al
      31st of Oct, 2008

We bought at the Westgate lakes pre- construction and at the time we were told that a floater was a week you bought and used
    every other year, we bought fixed, now all of a sudden this guy wanted us to hand him over about $11, 000.00 more so we
    can change our week to a floater, or we have a no good week that nobody wants and would then have to pay about 500.00
    extra to go back to our own place!!!
    We had to sign a paper that stated that we refused to pay the $11k.
    Can he change the deeds this way?
    anyone know?
    If there is a Class Action I want in..
    Everytime you go there they have a plan or scheme to get some more money out of you but this one tops them all.

12th of Nov, 2008

I am interested in a class action lawsuit against Westgate Resort.
    By the way check youtube: search under David siegel billionaire.
    This is if you want to know how your money is spent.

• Je
      18th of Nov, 2008

So i just came back from west gate florida 16th of November.. and yea i had a problem with them also, i grove up from Atlanta... 7hrs to find out that i would not be able to take the time share package.. i ask why?
    My husband and I Just got married and moved to our new home in Atlanta. We have not had time to change our id's to the same address. The lady ask did we bring any bills with the same address on it ? i ask her why would i travel with bills, So wile we went back and forth, 3hrs my two kids was in the car. to make a long story short we paid to stay the night there it was late. I got up in the morning to talk to the mgr.. she apologized and we then went on the ture.. the bottom line is when i book the tour.. they took my credit card and gave me aproval number, he then had to send me to a second line that she ask if she can record my call? i said yes, she ask me if me and my husband make over 50k a year? (yes) Do we have same address on ids ? (no) i was recorded that no one ask me to bring any thing on the tripp... so yes i am now going look into some leagl action.

19th of Nov, 2008

I used to work for this ripoff of a company. First things first. If you buy from Westgate, you make sure that you get whatever the sales agent promises you in writing and signed by him. Second, if you buy from Westgate, be prepared to be stomped on. Once you sign your contract, they treat you like dirt. They are nice to you if you are looking to buy, but once you become an "owner" you are suckered in and have little to no say. You pay for extra things that you were told would be included; you cannot use your timeshare when you want; You have maintenance and taxes that must be paid; you are shown one unit and when you come to stay you may get something different and it may be a downgrade. This happens quite often.

Even the employees hate working there. They continually break the law. Managers manipulate employees time cards; they refuse to allow employees to take lunches and then don't pay them for working through; they tell you that "If you value your job, you will do whatever you are told" even it is against the law. Managers scream and curse at employees for no reason other than the fact that they think that they can. And when you say something about the way they treat you, you are told, "You must respect my position." Employees are told that they will not be given raises because it was a bad year, however, this year was the company's best year on record.

I would suggest that you shop around at other timeshare companies if you plan on buying one. Westgate is not the only timeshare company.

• Pe
      28th of Nov, 2008

It is most regrettable to see so many complaints against this timeshare mogul. One must use caution when applause, bells and whistles and limo rides are provided to new owners of any real estate. As I recall from my real estate classes, to provide gifts to a new owner of real estate is frowned upon.

Morgan and Morgan(800) 896-2709, in Or lando might be able to point you in the right direction with regard to your suit. Westgate is one of the most complained about timeshare in Florida.

Indeed caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is a rule, however, if one finds himself in union with others of the same disposition, then go forward.

In the future, know that there are great timeshare in Orlando, that exchange beautifully, provide extra free weeks every year, and come with the flexibility you can only imagine. If you would like more information do not hesitate to email me.

1st of Dec, 2008

Sue them for me too.

• Pe
      3rd of Dec, 2008

By the way, the so called independent contractors at Westgate are quicking signing up to join in a class actio suit. I suppose John Doeser is correct when he writes that the employees are not happy either.

• Sh
      24th of Apr, 2009

Westgate sucks nuff said

• De
      25th of Apr, 2009

My sister and I had a timeshare presentation set up and we were each given a confirmatiom. We were on vacation wth family members, during spring break, other than the BIG runaround that we recieved from Westgate we had a great time. We decided to check into the timeshare presentation because we were also told of no sales pressure. We took the disney tickets that we were offered at a discount rate instead of hotel stay. We were always in touch with them in case of any changes that were made. We were told that everything was confirmed and ready. We paid for our Disney tickets 10 months ahead of time . We had the presentations set up so we would be done by noon.We both had a 7:30am appt. We got there on time, they tell us that they have no appt. set up for either of us & we may have went to the wrong resort. The receptionist gave me another address to go to in which was 5 minutes away. We go there and they didn't have anything for us either. We were met by a rep.that told us to go back to the first resort that we were at and that they may have something for us there. WE WERE AT THIS PRESENTATION AND THEY WERE GIVING US THIS BIG RUN AROUND . I asked about our tickets and they were given to us .We were not informed of any additional cost. we later found out that WESTGATE went into our acct. and charged again ... BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE !!! IT IS A SCAM.

• Da
      14th of May, 2009

Please visit the website for the Class Action Lawsuit against Westgate Resorts in Gatlinburg, Tennessee at www.westgateclassaction.com.

• Da
      14th of May, 2009

Please visit the class action website for the WESTATE RESORT TENNESSEE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT at www.westgateclassaction.com.

TN Class reps, please visit the site at www.westgateclassaction.com

• Le
      26th of Jun, 2009

All I can say is if you are thinking about buying a Westgat Resort...DO NOT DO IT!!! You will be very UNHAPPY with all of the telephone harrassment! Purchasing a Westgate Resort Condo was the WORST MISTAKE! I would definitely be interested in a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

Buyer's Remorse in Alexandria, VA

• Ol
      14th of Jun, 2010

Rip off, I intent to make there business practices public every way I can. They are very deceitful, misleading and misrepresent the plans they offer you and I would NOT recommend them to anyone and if you can sell yours do it, and join in a class action suit!!!