Vancouver Career College

Eminata Group/VCC
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
blogspot.com
I was mislead (lied to) by the admissions rep who earned at least part of his salary on commission. He lied and conned me into signing up for a one year course when all that I required for my training was the short 6 month course. This put me in school for twice as long and cost me twice the debt.

Tuition rates were exorbitant and grossly inflated. The school itself was located in an old bank, the staff were unprofessional, and the rep who got me to join was later fired for misleading numerous students into larger courses/loans/debts. My professor was an ex-nurse with no teaching experience who sat gossiping with the girls in my class all day long like cackling hens. Anybody who didn't join in the gossiping, backstabbing or extra-curricular activities was mocked, bullied and treated poorly. The curriculum was very poor and mainly was just reading out of text books and repetition. There were constant issues with the school itself, the staff, paperwork and all kinds of problems - it was a horrible experience.

VCC did not reimburse me, refused to deal with my complaints and issues, and to date I am 20K in debt thanks to this FRAUD of a school whose sole aim it is to make money. The rep rushed me into class by stating they were "starting soon" and that the class was "filling up" and pressured me to make my decision quick. I was naive and ill-informed and rushed and manipulated by various staff into taking courses I didn't need and getting a huge student loan from the government to pay for it.

To date, my "career" has not profited me one bit, I am massively in debt, many people won't hire me once they know where I've graduated, I am told my "qualifications and training" aren't applicable in various jobs and other cities and provinces - and it's been an utter misery.

I've come to find that hundreds (if not thousands) of students across the country have my exact same complaint, and that countless have been conned, lied to and ripped off by this fraudulent organization. It's owned by the "Eminata Group" which has been in the news several times, and all of its owned schools (including Vancouver Career College, CDI, and others) have dozens of pending lawsuits and are being investigated for wrongful and illegal practices.

Peter Chung, the executive chairman came to Canada to set up his business after being driven out of the USA due to his corrupt practices, sued, losing his business and having his assets frozen -- he now does the exact same thing up North that he did down there with no repercussions thus far.

DO NOT GO TO VANCOUVER CAREER COLLEGE ! It is a waste of time, a HUGE waste of money and it will put you in big debt, waste your time and ruin any potential 'career' you are aiming for by association. HUGE CON JOB.

For more info check out: vcc-scam.blogspot.com

Vancouver Career College

Complaint comments Comments (10) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Colleges and Universities

Comments

N  15th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am looking to start the LPN course at CDI College- Surrey and would like to know if i shouldn't beause i dont want my money or time wasted... ?
D  21st of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
Having been at Vancouver Careers College at the Burnaby Campus, it sounds like a completely different experience I had. The Practical Nursing teachers seemed to really care for us there. They were so involved in our education!
D  26th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
Hey!

I think I know you, but don't want to guess your name here. Both of us we took the same practical nursing program at the Vancouver Career College. I secured my job a month or so before the graduation. I have been working at the St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, BC for about a year now. The staff is happy about my expertise and knowledge, and I have never ever heard any complaints about my education or my work ethics.

Nobody will come to you and give you a job. It is totally up to you. Go out, ask questions and apply for jobs. Let your potential employers know that you exist and are willing to work. As simple as that!

Vancouver Career College has an amazing reputation here at the St. Paul's Hospital and my ex-classmates tell me the same about the places they have been working at.

Stop complaining and blaming others. Go and do something!

Truly yours,
Brenda
N  8th of Mar, 2013 by    -1 Votes
Perhaps you should have done your research first...

My rep was pretty understanding. They understood that I needed to make a big decision in my life so they gave me all the facts that I needed. They did tell me that the class were filling fast but only because they were small classes sizes to ensure that everyone gets a great learning experience.

So it definitely isnt everyone that works there.
N  11th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
My experience was way different. I took health care assistant. My teachers were really good and the campus was pretty fun. The best part about it was I got hired on from my last practicum. Started out as causal but worked almost full-time hours from the start. I am a permanent employee now. Definitely not a waste of my time.
A  7th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
I went to the surrey campus. Such a joke. Wish I NEVER went there. I've been advised to sue them, just don't know how.
N  12th of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
well here is an old horror story, my hubby went to VANCOUVER CAREER COLLEGE in Abby back in 2002 or 2003 he was taking a pharmaceutical course .. Now he had been talked into a HUGE student loan, with the provincial and federal student load ... While taking his course the school moved to a "new location" where they are now off of Ware street. In this moved they apparently LOST ALL info on my hubby being a student, just before he was to start his practical and do the last test.. I have said a HUGE HELL NO to repaying the student loans, now we are in 2015, and in November of 2014 my hubby was contacted by the two different student loan companies wanting there money.. So I phone the V>C>C> and told them they better look into finding my hubbys info ( since we had a house fire we lost everything in 2011) and my plan is to pay them both all off and then im going to start the works of suing them.. to get MY money back... and im still waiting to hear back from V>C>C> about the whereabouts of all my hubbys info..
A  12th of Jan, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I'm worried they've discarded of my certificates and work. We were not permitted to keep our original tests, exams or transcripts. I've been trying to get ahold of my records but I keep getting the run around. It's been 2 years! Some campuses are probably alright, but where I went I got royally screwed. I would rather have gone to a REAL college-- not a " career college ". Private colleges can screw you anyway they want and get away with it. NSLSC says I should cut my losses and redo the course at a community college. It's a same that I cannot transfer any credits over from CDI or VCC to my new college bee cause thy are private and crecits can only transfer between campuses. What a shame.
N  5th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
Vancouver career college was really good when i joined the LPN program. The PN coordinator was so organized and professional, now they have this sorry excuse for program coordinator named anju. She doesn't know her job, never keeps schedule, complains form practicum sites and students are going unheard. In one word she is unprofessional and she just might be what might bring a good school down. If you are by any chance considering Vancouver career college rethink and please do your research. If Anju is there then its not worth going there.
A  9th of Feb, 2016 by    0 Votes
I had a similar experience but mine actually completely destroyed my life financially. When I was in my first month the financial admin convinced me to pay all my tuition right away. I was 19 and didn't realize I would owe much more than if I paid it monthly.
A few months into the program i was diagnosed with PTSD from childhood trauma. I was mentally stable and my doctor encouraged me to stay in school but inform my teacher as I fell behind a bit.
The head guy of the school ruined my life. I made a big point to keep my private info from my parents. I was not at the point where I was ready to tell them. The dean or whatever he's called disclosed this to my dad right in front of me. After that I struggled. They told me if I dropped out they would partially refund me since I hadn't completed my first semester.
I never saw that refund and I was too busy dealing with my trauma to fight them. When I did call and ask they said they couldn't refund me as the money was put towards my iPad, uniform and textbooks. I'd also like to make the point our tuition "included textbooks" but we only recieved a few. The others were digital copies and the iPad app was always crashing. The schools wifi didn't even work properly so getting any studying done took twice as long as it should have.
The school had major staffing issues. One of our teachers was fired in front of us in the middle of class. When I complained they told me that if I couldn't handle change nursing was not the right career path. Anyone in nursing knows how important consistency is within the program.

4 years later I am still $20 000 in debt as I can only find min wage jobs. Which barely covers the cost of living alone. I've overcome my PTSD and even run a support group for survivors of sexual abuse. I'd love to go back to school and go into a career to help others, but I can't get more student aid.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree