Utopia Management / San Diego / poor management

1 San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:

Utopia Management is more concerned with gaining income then doing a good job. I have heard this before from others but I decided to give them a chance. BIG mistake.
I hired them to rent out my condo; they had over 15 days left in that month to rent out a condo in a prime location. Condo was tenant ready yet I found out that Utopia didn’t do anything for the first 15 days. It wasn’t even placed on the Craigslist or anywhere for the matter. I called to ask why? I was informed that they have been very busy lately. That was an Interesting response to say the least...as I lose more money due to their poor work ethic.
The condo that is in a prime location and was placed on their web site, I was charge $50 for this. Why? Who knows...greed? I asked them to place it in the local paper to make move faster now that they wasted the first 15 days.
They assured me they would do just that. It was never placed in the paper and they found no renters for the next month to rent out my condo.
Of course, I called up to ask why it wasn’t rented out already. It is a prime location with a ton of interest in that area. Once again, I was informed that they have been busy lately so they only show the condo on Fridays of each week. This really pissed me off as I am paying them basically to do nothing. They show the condo only four times a month, this is ridiculous and shows poor attitude. Needless to say I fired them but had to let them retain the condo for another 30 days after they are fired. They refuse to mail back my keys until the very day after the 30 days had passed. I called to speak to the head manager and she told me that basically it was between me and whomever Utopia assigned to me (not her problem). Nice attitude! The girl they assigned to me never responded to my phone calls or emails.
To summarize the whole situation they had possession of my condo for over 75 days and could not rent out, they charged me for use of their web site but never placed it in the paper as previously agreed.
Once I gave my condo to another property management company it was rented within 10 days. The rental was always at a decent price in a desirable area and it never had issues renting out until I gave it to a company who didn't care at all.
Utopia is not a good property management company at all!
DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Ch

More Utopia Management / San Diego Complaints & Reviews

Comments

12th of Feb, 2009

I also made the mistake by using Utopia to manage my property. Also paid for ineffective advertising and had to show the house myself till I left the state. The tenants found my property from an add I placed myself.
    From the day I signed the contract I had troubles with the company. Utopia does not show homes on the weekends, the average call back or email return is 5 working days and still the question asked are not answered, and my HOA fees were being double paid then not paid at all which accrued late fees that have not been returned to me.
    After all of this, and more, I informed Utopia that I would no longer be requiring their services once the tenants moved out. With that I got a letter asking why I did not want to use them any more. I just replied by stating I would be happy to answer the question but did they really not know the answer.

• Pe
      29th of Jun, 2010

Could anyone with a complaint similar to the ones above please contact me. I have a similar story to all the complaints I've read and now I trying to do something about these [censor]! Please reach me at schendog16@hotmail.com. Im going to be filing a complaint with the DRE, and hopefully a class action. Please get back to me and tell me your story!! Its important not to let companies like this continue ripping people off. Please help me make a stand!!!

• Ca
      4th of Sep, 2018

We use Utopia Property Managment company too, but will be firing them too. We had a tenant move out with severe damage to our garage. They sent me an email saying it would be 1400.00with no explanation. And when I wanted to pay it. Hold up, what garage damage? The first I ever heard. Got our manager on the phone ( Melissa), she stated it was probably minor and that she could prove the tenant damaged it. What are pre inspections for? Did she wok for us or the tenant? Long story short we went to check out the garage and it was badly damaged. My husband place a call to her after the weekend. No call back the.en calling her again later that day. Had a rude [censored]y Melissa going off on hi, saying she was dealing with his wife and asked him never to call her. What type of service is Utopia running.