Tru Talent Management / FRAUD

Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:
2.45
Phone: 702 835 5500
Do not sign anything with this company, I have been in a legal battle with them for a year now. Please don't use them!
Ka

Comments

Vi
  10th of Nov, 2008
I worked for them for 2 years and have not been paid over time.
Ha
  29th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -5 Votes
Tru Talent Management has worked with me and for me in everyway. They are the definition of "management". I am in constant communication with the booking agents and have had several key opportunities. Those who are dissatisfied have not used their "management" company to work for them. Tru Talent is a great agency. Having being represented by other agiencies in Utah and Las Vegas I strongly feel I have found my home with Tru Talent Management.
Ta
  26th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Any agency that asks for money upfront is not in your best interest. I haven't even taken ONE class and I tried to cancel my contract because I simply cannot afford the classes or the time to go and they REFUSED. It has only been a few days since I signed. I am overwhelmed with there extremely incorporative response. They are only interested in taking peoples money. I researched similar stories and they told me the exact same speech. It makes me feel violated and ###ic for even listening to there sales pitch. Excuse me for being so trusting. Any company that is not willing to work within your best interest is not a well off institution. They are desperate and need to be investigated. Which is why I cancelled my credit card and they are not being looked into. I will not give in to something I do not feel happy about doing.
Ni
  5th of Feb, 2009
these people have scammed me out of money here in las vegas. so i cancelled my debit card. they have been harrassing me for a year and a half. does anyone know if they will take me to court??? or will this affect my credit?? they are a fraud. and i refuse to pay them any more!!!
Ta
  22nd of Feb, 2009
Hi, I fell into the Tru Management situation. The sales pitch was a bit pressuring and I fell for it. They told me how beautiful my infant daughter was, etc. I gave them over $400 I couldn't really afford, and tried to cancel the account. We didnt even live in Nevada at the time and was told a office was opening right away in San Diego. Never heard back from anyone but a amout of almost $4, 000.00 collections debt is on my credit report right now and has affected my life pretty bad. The original debt was $1200.00 plus cost of photos. At this time im trying to work things out with this company to cancel the account or re age to orgiginal amount and remove the negative information from my credit report. Ill update everyone on results. I'm considering filing complaints with the Nevada Attorney Generals and other government agencies but will attempt to work this out with the company first. Anyone who wishes to discuss their experience please email me at mrsbrnsugar@yahoo.com.

Thanks and good luck to all of us
  2nd of Apr, 2009
I totally agree that Tru Talent is scamming and misrepresenting the public. I am one of several representatives for a
company Tru Talent claims to represent. Their claim is NOT true. Nobody at my company has ever heard of Tru Talent and did NOT ask or authorize Tru Talent to supply talent.

I can't go into alot of details now, especially because I am not an attorney so I can't provide legal advice, however I'll tell you a few things that others are doing to use to your advantage.

First, contact the Las Vegas BBB (Better Business Bureau). While I normally don't recommend dealing with the BBB (because the BBB is NOT a gov't or law enforcement agency and typically can do little to help consumers), it seems as though the Las Vegas BBB has successfully handled complaints about Tru Talent in the past... so this may help.

Secondly, whenever contacting law enforcement agencies, the BBB, or any gov't entity, it's best to know a little bit about the law yourself. You shouldn't just say 'they ripped me off" and expect the legal team to go after Tru Talent... you have to give reasons why they
'ripped you off'.

The full NV statutes regarding employment agency law can be found at

Here are some of the most important excerpts from the laws you to
know, and to inform the others about:

In short, these laws basically state that

* Employment Agencies must be licensed by the state.

* An agency is not allowed to collect more than 65% of the first
months gross salary. (This statement is also supposed to be posted
in their office on a form obtained by the state).

* An agency cannot charge for work unless the work for the specific
individual is obtained first. The agency must refund all money within
7 days if the job doesn't pan out.

* Agency is not allowed to charge any registration fees or require
you to purchase products or services... or pay for any of their
advertising.

* Agency cannot advertise false statements (they already are doing
that by claiming that Canon hired them for a job). They also must
have the state issued license number printed on advertising and
business cards.

Failure to abide by the laws is a criminal offense (misdeameanor).

Please note that SOME talent agencies are exempt from having to obtain a license, but I don't think Tru Talent is one of them.

Contact the BBB, Channel 13, NV State Labor Commission, and probably the city of Las Vegas District Attorney for more assistance and
information.

As far as paying any bills... I'd stop immediately. State and Federal laws mandate that it would be illegal for a court to have you pay the
fees that Tru Talent is requesting, because the actions of Tru Talent itself is illegal. It's the same reason that a coke freak can't sue a drug dealer because the cocaine he sold wasn't "pure". The actions are illegal... the court can't enforce an illegal action.
Ut
  15th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have have just recently fell for there scam in UT and I have been with them not even 24 hrs and trying to get out of it. I dont know what im going to do. Its physically making me sick. they dont have any of my credit card info but they do have my social. SO they can still send collections after me. there selling tactics are pressure and they hide everthing. He says I only have to pay 150 and now its 1500 over 13 months. I cant afford to pay that and there is no way that i can pay that for that long. Me and my Mom are trying to get me out of it. Any legal advise for me here in Ut?
Pr
  9th of Jun, 2009
Okay,

I'm a victim of this fraudulent "agency" as well. I am so upset right now and do not understand how this can be allowed for so long. I was told to try and get others to stand with me to fight against this company. We all know that they are scam artists that prey on well intentioned people. I have lost hours of sleep at night rumenating over how nieve I was to believe the crap that came out of their mouths and gave them as much money as I did and didn't have, but thought I was making an investment into my childrens' future. This is evil and should not be tolerated and allowed to effect others in the way it has us. I am amazed at these people to heap a lie and a lot of trouble on people backs to deal with on the count of greed and deception.

I have emailed my complaint to channel 13 and will continue to call them to submit my complaint about Tru Talent. I am sending a letter of complaint to both Consumer Protection Agencies Utah & Nevada, and both BBB's. I am taking one step at a time as well to get this matter resolved and hopefully put them out of business. Please contact me so that we may link out claims to build stronger cases for ourselves as a group and individually.

Contact me at princesst82@hotmail.com to discuss how we can help each other.

Thank You!
Va
  18th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I was just at a walmart doing some shopping and some lady ran up to me telling me how adorable my daughters is . she then asked me if i had ever thought about putting her in modeling and acting?she told me she was from True management and thought she would be perfect for some commercial. she gave me a card and asked for my number. she told me her agency would be giving me a call. sure enough 1 day later i got a call ... they left a message. the only thing that saved me from wasting my time and money was the fact that i googled the company and saw everyone scam stories. A good friend of mine came over later that day. i had forgot to tell her about the lady that ran up to me at the store. She then tells me about how she was at a walmart and a lady stopped her to ask her if she had thought about acting or modeling. i guess they are just walking around walmart pretending like they are shopping looking for victims. How can they go so long with out being stopped?????
An
  18th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -4 Votes
I joined Tru Talent Agency, and I personally believe that any person who would add to this thread with a complaint needs some sense knocked into them. Do you really feel you need to bash on the company because of some minor offense you probably recieved? My agent is amazing, he has not pressured me in the slightest, and I know that his acting skills are uncomparable. I am taking an acting class from them once a week from one of the most talented coaches out there. If you didn't receive any work from them, maybe you simply weren't what the agency was looking for. As far as the money is concerned, I never have or will give them my social or credit cards. I know some of the actors and actresses, who I have grown to love and respect over the past year, I have seen their work, and they are like brothers and sisters to me. I don't care how many complaints I hear, I have enough good sense to know what is a fraud and what is not, and this IS NOT A FRAUD!
Get your facts straight.
Sc
  23rd of Jun, 2009
you need to go to the labor commission and file a report to collect on back wages.
Cw
  12th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I went there and I talked with a lady with short blonde hair. She was nice but said I would have to pay for photos and that it would be $1200 for lifetime photos with this amazing photographer that has done major magazine and editorial work. She showed me his pics and they were pretty g0ood. Since I knew I dident need to spend this much money for pics I asked her if I could bring my own pics to them, she said that was fine and to send them in once they were done and they would send me to the booking agent. When I got my pics I sent them in, and when I called to follow up a new lady said that they wouldent send me to booking without using their photographer. This is not how all the other agencies work in Vegas so I said forget these people. A couple months later I talked to a lady on the phone about a photoshoot and she said the only agency her son has had alot of success getting great auditions from was Tru Talent. So I dont know really what to believe except I am glad that I dident use their services and that their is a reason for all the complaints against them.
  13th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
"a new lady said that they wouldent send me to booking without using their photographer. This is not how all the other agencies work in Vegas so I said forget these people."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This common scam tactic is called "Portfolio Mill".

The Tru Talent rep is LYING when they say "all agencies work this way". As a matter of fact there is no REAL, LEGITIMATE AGENCY that operates in that manner. In many jurisdictions it's actually illegal for an agency own, operate, or require you to purchase products or services from other companies such as photo studios.

It's also AGAINST SAG rules and regulations for an agency to charge for photos or require a certain photographer.

The SAG (the Screen Actors Guild) is the governing union for screen talent.
For more information about REAL, LEGITIMATE AGENCIES from the Screen Actors Guild check out:

In Clark County, Nevada, find a REAL, LICENSED AGENCY at:
(category 529 for modeling agencies, category 340 for talent (employment agencies).

... and by the way, you WON'T see the scammers from Tru Talent in the list of licensed agencies in Clark County!
Bd
  17th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I just now signed up for tru talent and am maybe thinking twice after reading all this! I wonder if i can back out. I have paid 100 dollars so far and signed aa contract to pay 1000. all together. does anyone know if i can back out now?
  18th of May, 2010
bdunson, contact Tru Talent and request your money back as soon as possible. Not that these crook will honor your request, but at least it will be on record that you wanted your money back.

Even if a company is legitimate, most states have at least a 3 day 'cooling off' period where the customer can rescind a contract without penalty. Tru Talent isn't legit, so the contract will most likely be void anyways... but you may have to go to court to get your refund back because those scammers at Tru Talent sure as hell won't be willing to return it to you.

Additionally, contracts that are signed under duress (such as a salesman pressuring you), or while under the influence of alchol or drug (even if it's a legal prescription) may also be easily voided.

You have to admire KSL, one of the few TV stations to investigate the frauds at Tru Talent.
Towards the end, when they interview the Tru Talent representative about the scam, the agent says something like 'We are not a talent agency, we don't get jobs for models and talent. We train them'

Lo
  24th of Jun, 2010
Whoever wrote the one or two pro Tru Talent comments were either employees or the crook owner, I guarantee!! I was ripped off by these creeps 2 years ago when my son was 17. He is almost 20 now and has never gotten one job from these jerks. He attended idiotic acting classes that were less legit and professional than taking them at The Community Ed. classes for $15 bucks. My son missed his photo choot because he had to work and the jerks had the balls to charge us $150.00 for missing the shoot. I refused to pay them. I lost my job a year ago and haven't paid them since. They have hounded me mercilessly. I will NOT pay those jerks anymore of my money. I dont know what they can do to me. But someone has to recognize that this is a aclassic SCAM and help us victims get out of this. If anyone has any ideas let me know. dahlquist@hotmail.com Thanks, Lori
To
  31st of Jul, 2010
I just signed up for tru talent management today. They made a copy of my visa and payed 100 dollars in cash but the whole fee is 1000 dollars so i have to pay 100 a month. I didn't realized a lot of people think this was a scam. No wonder the guy whose doing our business seems not really interested with my kids. He talked too fast so that way he'll finished all the papers for us to pay them. I'm really stupid thousand dollars is a lot of money now I'm going to try to cancel the contract but don't know what to do. Is there anybody there that can help me how to cancel this contract. please email me at Daybrepoels@gmail.com
Er
  18th of Aug, 2010
My mom and I were shopping at Wal-Mart the other day when this lady came up to my mom and said "is this your daughter? Shes pretty. Have you ever thought of putting her into modeling?" and everything went off from there, she asked for a phone number and she gave us her business card and said that she would have someone call me in a day or so to set up a free appointment with one of the agents. When she left I didn't see her again and the weird thing is that she wasn't even looking at anything in the isle. My mom told me she saw her looking over in our direction a couple times before she came up to us.
I didn't have a good feeling about these people so I thought I would do a little homework on them. I found the KSL news report on Tru Talent and All of your comments. Once I found all of this out I canceled my appointment. I would have feel bad that my parents would have to pay money we don't have and for things I'm never gonna get if I went along with these people.
Gc
  19th of Aug, 2010
I was approached by a 'talent scout' named Courtney yesterday in a mall in Las Vegas, where I live. She came up to me and asked me how old I was, and I told her 18...a little confused and taken aback that this random lady was asking me questions. She preceded to say that I had nice hair and that I could do hair shows. I asked her what that was, and she said that they style your hair then take pictures of it, for advertisements etc. She kept talking to me about it, gave me tips for hair care, and gave me her card. Then I thought okay she has a card...this must be legit...I've always wanted to look into some kind of modeling before and thought it was a good idea. She continued to talk to me then finally asked me for my name, and my number. Usually I would be very cautious about giving out my cell phone number. But I felt sort of pressured so I gave it to her, she said that she'd be giving me a call within the next couple days. Sure enough, I got a call this morning from their receptionist or whatever she is. She asked me if I wanted to come in tomorrow for an audition. I had a very busy day today so I didn't end up calling back until they were closed. I left them a message just asking if they could call me back and explain more what this was about. Then I came online and read everything about their company. When they call me back tomorrow, I am going to tell them about the web research I came across, and to take my phone number off of everything they have because I am not interested in being scammed or paying money for things that talent agencies shouldn't charge their clientele for. I am just glad I did my research before I went in and agreed on anything, and I feel really sorry for the people who are in that situation and hope they can get out of it and hopefully 'Tru Talent Management' can get closed down soon.
Mm
  7th of Oct, 2010
Can someone please help me. I signed my son up for Tru Talent and now I am going to have to back out. I will be canceling my debit card and sending them a letter. I would like some advice on how to keep fighting this in case they start to harass me. I am a SINGLE mother no father he left us. I work 50 hours a week to try and keep me head above water and I have to get help from the government for child care... Please some one e-mail me.

m_medina1227@yahoo.com