TripAdvisor.com / wrong reviews on site

141 needham streetNewton, MA, United States Review updated:
3.85
Phone: 617-670-6300

The posting of a negative review on thier travel site by someone harassing me which they refuse to remove. They refuse to asknowledge emails phone calls or any contact

Comments

La
  4th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I need to agree that Trip Advisor when used with integrity is a great tool. It is very human. That being said it is also an evil tool for ones who wish mal intent to have a lasting impression that may very negatively affect my business. Trip Advisor will not return any of my emails or phone calls imploring them to cease and assist. There were three groups of clients to our facility that wanted to walk around the campground with alcohol, let their dogs run free through the park, they broke rules they agreed to follow before they confirmed their reservation at my park, etc. If the threat of misused trip advisor reports exist than I have much less ability to enforce basic and sensible requests of all campers and then how do I avoid vandalism to my pool building, bathrooms, activity centres and above all my privledge of a quiet, peaceful and safe family camping experience. These particular trip advisor particpants are angry that they were unable to manipulate or abandon the rules in their favor, and now I am stuck with an undeserved lasting impression obviously intended for new clients to avoid our park.
Be
  24th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I couldn't agree with you more but there is recourse. The BBB has listed them as not an accredited business and given them a grade of C+. The BBB complaint list gives a false impression since they won't take a complaint unless it involves a financial transaction which invalidates all of these type of complaints. However, the Massachusetts Attorney General will take complaints and has said she will take action against them if she gets enough complaints. Also contact Clark Howard at ClarkHoward.com and post your comments as he is always plugging them.
Mi
  9th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I got onto the Tripadvisor.com (TA) scam from a recent experience. It is happening now.
I am a guest at a hotel/hostel in New York called the Broadway Hostel. I was booking another leg of my trip, and happened on to the TA site . As I read the reviews posted on TA about the Broadway, I was taken back about how just plain wrong, dishonest and deceptive the reviews were – all negative!
I travel allot, and I stay in many places across America – the Broadway is a great little Hostel- I mean great. Inexpensive, fantastic location and a staff of wonderful people – yes – wonderful people in New York!
I posted on TA my experiences that were fact filled, named the great staff who were a joy to have helping me there, and I mentioned specifics about the great sides, and a couple minor flaws, like their wireless is fairly slow.
My overall review was positive, and rejected by TA in a spam email to me. I then re-posted it, and this time it made it on to the site – for 20 hours it was up, then it was pulled down. I email TA again, and all I received back was spam.
THEN I started looking into TA and found they are getting sued for this type of experience. In a great case quoted on the equally great news service of:
-----
CourtHouseNewsService.com

Restaurant Says Web Site Defamed It
DETROIT (CN) - …[a restaurant] which describes itself as "a new upscale restaurant in the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel in downtown Detroit, " says it was defamed by TripAdvisor, a Web-based travel site. The Grille says TripAdvisor refused to remove, or investigate the accuracy of, an anonymous poster who advised "staying clear of the 24grille unless you and your family actually enjoy sharing your evening with the local prostitutes."
 The restaurant demands damages for libel and negligence. …..
------
The posting against this restaurant was, as the suit alleges, false and deceptive – TA will not address pulling the posting down – spamming the owners instead of dealing with them – my experience too with TA.
If you want anymore information about the other matters against TA, feel free to email me – m.la68@yahoo.com

Regards,
Mike
Ki
  22nd of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Had the same thing happen to us. We have no idea who this person was and they would not help us to identify them. Trip Advisor actually moved us down a position to #3 for voicing our disagreement about them not removing the invalid complaint off of their website. Its pretty bad when a company like this has the power to allow people to write anything they wish when everyone elses reviews are to the contrary. The review was so off base and ill intent to harm.
Pe
  17th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Another article on the subject of TripAdvisor, Stephen Kaufer, fraud and defamation:
Wr
  28th of Jul, 2009
Tripadvisor is supposed to have reviews by guests or patrons. Of course, some negative reviews are going to get on there, but readers are smart. You have to give them some credit. An incredibly negative review with no real explanation is going to be dismissed by the average reader (average reader speaking here) especially if it appears in a sea of positive reviews. Everyone knows a whiny traveler and can take the complaint with a grain of salt. The point of Tripadvisor isn't to promote your B&B, hostel, restaurant, etc. It's for travelers to give advice to other travelers.

Now, I wrote a review recently of an Irish B&B that was truthful and based on my experience. While I complimented the food and cleanliness of the room, the owner treated us horribly and I had a very expensive piece of computer equipment stolen from the room. A simple apology from the owner and some sort of caring about the room's security would have smoothed things over (I can take responsibility for being stupid enough to leave something of value in a hotel room). But her lack of apology, lack of caring etc affected the way I wrote the review, which I took down when she threatened to sue me for libel. As an American, I have no idea what she could accomplish from overseas but I don't have the money to defend myself in Irish courts. I rewrote the review reflecting her threats. I know, probably very stupid, but I don't like bullies. I could end up wasting my life savings defending myself in an Irish court, and I think she is vindictive enough to spend her money doing the same.

Lesson for all you owners and managers out there: Treat your guests well. 99 percent of the time acting sympathetic will defuse the situation.
Di
  1st of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with the innkeepers that have been poorly served by trip advisor. I have owned and ran a B&B in Hawaii for 13 years. I have over 100 reviews, over 93% positive. The negative reviews were suspicious. When I wrote trip advisor that, for example, I had never had a guest from a town the guest said he was from they refused to remove it. I also asked them how they could remain impartial, now that they are owned by Expedia, do lots of business with discount sites such as Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. who pay tripadvisor for space on their website. Now, tripadvisor will add a direct link from your website onto their site, for a price. Yet they continue to say they are unbiased. I think it is only a matter of time before a class action suit is filed against them. I can't wait. They deserve to be punished for all the damage they have done.
De
  11th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also suffered from competitors posting bad reviews about my business. I also have a bad review on my business which relates to another business. I have asked TA repeatedly to remove these biased and untrue postings and they do not respond. I have also had customers state that they have posted a review - sent me a copy - but TA never listed it. They are biased and a complete joke!!!
Co
  13th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also have very serious problems with this issue. 15 days ago, on the page of our Motel, someone posted a review speaking about the bad hygiene in the Motel, and she posted a picture that was clearly not taken in our Motel. After wards she said that she stayed in the motel in February 2010, and we had no foreign citizens from Austria(she says that it is a country where she comes from), except one 63 years old gentleman. Then, in the review she says that she traveled with a group of university friends, and in her profile she says that she traveled with spouse/partner. She posted only one review and only one image, of our Motel. And it is clear in all ways possible that it is a fraud, probably made by competition. I have sent them dozens of e-mail, regarding to remove the review, but they still didnt do anything. I have no idea, what to do next, and is it possible, to prosecute TA for this kind of behavior?
Pa
  6th of Apr, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Isn't it time for hotels to get together for a class action law suit? NOT to muzzle the first amendment - but to stop the lies and maliciousness that TripAdvisor promotes through their website. Everything boils down to money - if they want a refund - they will post the worst about your place, the same if they want an upgrade, discount this, discount that - as soon as you take the word "no" in your mouth - you do not know what to expect from that person when they leave your property. The properties that have good reviews are those that are always on the loosing side - they give and give in all the time.
Si
  2nd of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We thought we could trust Trip Advisor but after we went to The Royal Cancun after reading the great reviews it was not at all run or management like a 5 star resort. So did our own investigating of this resort and noticed that once a bad review is posted suddenly about 5 or 6 Excellent reviews are posted. Also, they are the 3rd most popular hotel in Cancun with over 1000 Excellent reviews and the resort is only 3 years old whereas the number one resort only has 600 Excellent reviews. The same thing for The Royal Playa del Carmen. Both owned by Real Resort - aka Real Club. My friend who I went with got her “bad” review rejected because it didn’t meet their guidelines. The only thing we could see was that she wrote she didn’t understand what all the great reviews were about and warned people to watch out. It seems like it’s okay for the great reviewers to say things like, “don’t believe the bad reviews” but not the other way around. I wouldn’t doubt that this resort, which by the way has super high pressure timesales staff running about, are paying off Trip Advisor. We will never trust TA again. There is a new website starting up with professional travellers call oyster.com but unfortunately they have do not as of yet have any reviews for Mexico but when I wrote them they said they are planning on adding on. I will only trust professional guide books and websites with professional people who actually stayed there and their opinion over the garbage on TA. Good thing we have these websites to educate others not to get sucked in. Oh yeah, and I also wrote a bad review to this resort and it was accepted and I got a lot of very nasty messages from “people”… why would someone protest your experience at a resort? The purpose of the website is to write about YOUR experiences. So those nasty messages were definitely from the “sharks” and employees (management).
Vi
  4th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Trip advisor is full of scam
There is lot's of things in your life you are happy and unhappy with, example: your wife, girl friend, children, where you eat, where you sleep, all of them are vary and humen behaviors are not always the same.
The circle of life and the involvements are opperated by humens.
Therefore you meet people in different times and different mood they all not always same and you can't complaint but you can ask for an compensation, leaving bad reviews about the sleeping place or your wife will not go to the end of the problem it will destroy the relationship with them instead.
Mostlikely 1 in 10 people will leave bad review but at the same time 1 in 1000 people will leave good review so it cant be accepted due to the variance of the people natural habit.
Trip Advisor (Many clicks they get much money they make )
join me on facebook trip advisor i want them to shut down.
(facebook group tripadvisor)
Ns
  26th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Before knowing better, I used tripadvisor to find some restaurants. Turned out that the glowing reviews about some of the places were exaggerated. When I wrote my own reviews stating my opinion, they never showed up. I consider tripadvisor to be a complete scam.
Pr
  5th of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
After years of dealing with trip advisor, I’m really going to enjoy this...

Trip advisor is a total waste of time. The reviews on the site fall into three categories: 1) genuine reviews (the minority) 2) mouth breathing cretins with a chip on their shoulder and 3) staff/friends/family of staff leaving bogus reviews to enhance their own business or slate the competition.

Amongst hotel owners it’s a running joke how easy it is to leave bogus reviews. I could call up my family who live on the other side of the country, have them create an account and give me a shining 5 star rating. How will trip advisor detect this fraud? Well, they simply don’t. I go to London for the weekend, set up a new email addy and lay into the place down the street. Again, how to they know this is genuine? And practices like this are commonplace.

If the above wasn’t proof enough this site is utterly invalid, anybody who has worked in the industry will tell you that some guests you simply cannot please. the professional complainers that want money off, the truly obnoxious that think they are better than everybody that works there just because they earn "big money" and don’t work behind a bar... then the ones that drink too much and wreck the place, then get offended when they are charged for the havoc they have caused. Just because you are capable of having an opinion does not attach validity to your thoughts, just indicates you can.

I’m not just some embittered owner. I (and many others) and my terrific staff work extremely hard every day to ensure my guests get the best service. Any genuine complaint and I will personally ensure it dealt with to the best of my ability and the overwhelming majority of my guests leave happy and return year upon year. unfortunately, its usually the ones with a chip on their shoulder/superiority complex that decide to go online and make a noise, just, you know, to tell everyone how important they are...

Finally, by what right does trip advisor use information on my business to make a profit? I have a marketing budget and will gladly pay REPUTABLE SITES to feature my business as I can ensure valid, truthful advertising and will happily pay for this. Any publicity is good publicity? Ill pass thanks. I give trip advisor a single star, and that just for the amusement value of working out which guest it was that left the bad reviews, and having a good old chuckle at what an awful example of humanity they were.

Does trip advisor get to post a response to this? That’s something I would like to see...
Ho
  1st of Oct, 2010
Trip advisor sent my business an invoice, when I didn't want to sign up, THE TOOK DOWN ALL THE PHOTOS previously online, on their site, people had put up for our listing. There are so many bogus reviews, from people that never stayed here, are nowhere in the books, that we asked our actual clients to write some positive reviews, the response has been that their review was being reviewed. Within the past 2 months, not one review has been posted by our clients! We have regulars that agree with us that Trip advisor is nothing more than a scam.
Jt
  29th of Jan, 2011
Hotel in BC, same thing happened to be but i got no invoice :)
Cu
  25th of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Following my complaint against TripAdvisor for publishing uncorroberated and grossly inaccurate customer opinion: Alexandra (TripAdvisor Support Team) accepted that they were not concerned over checking for deformation saying, "Please understand that user reviews are individual, highly subjective opinions which are not endorsed or verified by TripAdvisor." In other words they were not concerned over the effect such inaccurate criticism might have on a business. Nor were concerned over the accuracy of information presented, unchecked, to potential future customers.
Fr
  1st of Jun, 2011
TRIP ADVISOR IS A FRAUD!!! They work with the hotels to draw customers and only post positive (if not totally made up) reviews of aweful places! I wrote a review on the Wyndham Jacksonville Riverfront hotel as a garbage hotel with bodily fluid stained sheets, dirty uncleaned rooms, musty odor and less than stellar hotel staff; it was never posted on the trip advisors website! Do not believe any of the reviews on their site!!!
Al
  19th of Jun, 2011
NOBODY in this galaxy is capable of distinguishing REAL UNBIASED REVIWEWS from FAKE POSITIVE ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article6583450.ece ) and FAKE NEGATIVE ( written by petty authors looking fro personal vendetta, protected by anonimity offered by EXPEDIA-Tripadvisor ) ones.

Besides damaging the free market (tourist facilities, travel agencies and competitors) Expedia is emptying of credibility also true and unbiased reviews from travelers that are issued in good faith.

Expedia is the cancer of tourism ... be careful www.victimsofexpedia.com
Alla Dolce Vita
Th
  25th of Aug, 2011
Trip Advisor allows fraudulent and damaging reviews, posted by people associated with the Mezzanine and La Zebra Hotels and Restaurants in Tulum, Mexico, to be posted on their competitor's sites.

TripAdvisor Logo TripAdvisor