Topsy Turvy / Ripped off

1 P.O. Box 3179Wallingford, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-533-1123

I completed a purchase online on August 6, 2008. The ordering procedure was extremely misleading and gives you no opportunity to make changes to your order or to review the order before finalizing the purchase. The website advertised a special of buy one get one free. After entering my credit card information the site takes you directly to a screen that shows you the total amount charged but by then, it's too late to cancel the order or make changes. The shipping charges were outrageous, so I immediately called customer service to cancel. The customer service rep told me it takes 24 hours for the order to show up and to call again tomorrow to cancel. I called again the next day and again was told to call back because they couldn't see the order. I called again a couple hours later and another rep said the order was already shipping and no changes or cancellations could be processed. I asked to speak to a manager and the rep flat out refused to let me talk to anyone else. This is a scam. They mislead you with advertising a fake special, then slam you with overpriced shipping without letting you review your order. Then they make it impossible to cancel. Now I'm stuck with paying the shipping and the company refuses to reimburse me.

Comments

• Ri
      12th of Mar, 2009

I agree they do get you on the shipping I was SCAMED out of 72.00 Dollars but would like to know if it works as shown

• Tm
      17th of Mar, 2009

We also have been scammed by them. Also, 72.00.

If you want to know if they work, then go to Amazon.com
    They sell there for 11 bucks each. Sometimes less.
    My lawyers and bank are beginning the process of dealing with the company.
    As long as they get away with it, they will do it.
    David

• Ly
      26th of Mar, 2009

I did my order over the phone. I had seen the offer for the Topsy Turvy on TV in a commercial. I got the phone number from that. After I called and ordered the Topsy Turvy Planters, I put in my personal information, and not talking to a person and listening to a recording, they kept trying to talk me into buying other things. They said to press "1' for yes if you were interested in this oh so wonderful offer. I figured out on my own that if you press "0" it means no. So I said no, no, no...so many times. Now mind you I had already ordered my planters and was just trying to get through the phone call for a confirmation number. At the very end of the call they started telling me that I was automatically enrolled in some membership for something that I have no idea at this point after listening to so many of their offers and this membership was going to cost me $14.99 a month. And they did not give me any option to cancel this. Mind you I was told that my order for the planter would take 6 to 8 weeks, which would mean that they could start charging me for this unwanted membership before I could even get my order. I was also told that if I did not want this memebership, I would have to wait for my package of planters to come in the mail...(6 to 8 weeks) and they would have a 1-800 number that I could call to cancel this membership. Are you kidding me!!! I am livid!
    I called the Topsy Turvy customer service and they were first of all so rude to me. They told me that they had nothing to do with that membership and that it is another company. They don't know what company it is. I was given two 1-800 numbers for what they thought the companies MIGHT be...I called the both of them and they don't have any information on me at all. Are you kidding Meeee!!!????
    I was told by one of those numbers to call back tomorrow to see if my information went through yet.
    What I want to know is...how in the world is this even legal and how are these scam artists getting away with this!!??
    I never ever order anything online. I just don't. But since I saw it on TV I thought it might be ok. First time for me ordering anything like this from TV too. Never again.
    I am going to get in contact with the BBB and other agencies that I know of and there is now way that they are going to rip me off like this.
    If there is anyone here that is reading this...please respond if you have any suggestions of what else I can do to go after these criminals.

• Rh
      22nd of Apr, 2009

WE WERE SCAMMED BY TOPSY TURVY!!! DON'T BECOME THEIR NEXT VICTIM!!! I HAD TO CLOSE MY BANK ACCOUNT AND FILE A FRAUD CASE WITH MY BANK!!!

*****I THINK A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WOULD BE IN ORDER*****

My husband and I were watching the infomercial Sunday evening 4/19/09 and decided to order. I called the number given on the screen first, and while I was entering my order information, I realized I had ordered to many. I went all the way through giving my credit card number and expiration date and realized I was not being given a chance to confirm my order. I then went to the website to place my order. I went through the entire oder process and realized too late that the order or the shipping charges didn't appear to confirm before the order was placed. They had my credit card information so fast without letting me see my order before it was actually placed. There was no place to view or cancel the order. I tried to reach a human that night, but no luck. I called them Monday morning April 20, 2009, and finally reached a customer service rep (who did not identify herself). I explained I was concerned about 2 orders being processed for me, 1 from the phone and the other from the internet. She took my zip code and confirmed that they only had one order. I told her that my other concern was that I didn't see on the website the stands for the container that had been represented in the infomercial. She advised that they didn't come with the stands when ordering from the internet. I told her that I would like to cancel that order and place an order from the infomercial where I would get the stands and the strawberry container included in my order. She told me that they didn't sell the stands anymore, in fact they hadn't had the stands in many months. As for the strawberry container, she said they hadn't included them with orders in months either and would be happy to give me the number to the company where I could place my order. When I told her the infomercial the night before advertised all of this with your order, and then I asked to speak to a supervisor, she hung up on me. I promtly called back and reached another customer service representative who identified herseld as "Ann". I went through the whole story again, and this was at 11:50 a.m. She promised that a supervisor would call me back within 1 hour and also told me she could not cancel my order. Needless to say, I never got a call from anyone. They refused to cancel my order.

My questions is, HOW CAN A COMPANY FRAUDENTLY ADVERTISE A PRODUCT SO MUCH ON TV AND GET AWAY WITH IT????

I have had to file a claim for fraud with my bank against this vendor and close my bank account because the bank advised that there was a high risk of this company continuing to drain my bank account. Do these shady characters just get away with ripping off the general public like this with liklihood of being held accountable for their actions????

• Te
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I too DID NOT get the chance to review my order and make any changes. I placed my order online, no need to wait until the commercial comes back on to get a phone number. If I am not able to stop the order I will be filing a fraud complaint too. Maybe if a lot of people do this a stop will be put to their bad business practices.

• Ju
      27th of Apr, 2009

The ordering system is designed to help Topsy Turvy and not the consumer. I did manage to get an order canceled after calling back. I was appalled when placing the order that no changes could be made to an order...not only that you don't have to hit a submit order button...they just take it and run. Bad Business. This just happened and I am immediately going to put a dispute on my credit card charge ...just in case.

• De
      7th of May, 2009

I saw these advertised at Walgreen's for $9.99 each, but my Walgreen's was out of stock and wouldn't have more for 2 weeks, and I wanted mine sooner, so I went online and ordered. MY BAD

The online ad on their website says buy one get one free, for $19.99. Well I already knew that was no deal, as they are only $10 each anyway, but I thought oh well and went ahead and ordered. It took me though pages of 'do I want to ad this or that to my order to which I said NO each time.

Once I was done they had charged me $35.00, the shipping was $15.00 outrageous, and it only then told me my order would take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive. I too called to cancel and was told my order was not 'in the system yet' BS! I called again the next day, and they found me in the system, but when I said I wanted to cancel my order the customer service rep asked very.. rudely "and my I ask exactly WHY?". I replied 'BECAUSE your Deal is NO DEAL, its a ripoff" to which she replied 'FINE, it's canceled" and she hung up on me LOL!

I then went online and googled 'make your own Topsy turvy' . I made 2, with large 12 inch plastic flower pots, and some chain. I put the tomatoes in the bottom, and flowers on the top. Mine is MUCH prettier than theirs, for less money and NO waiting.

• Je
      17th of May, 2009

I too got ripped off by topsy turvy. I went thorugh the whole order process on line, then got a page with my cost and confirmation number. I got no page telling me to check the order and make any corrections. As it is the total cost turned out to be $167.00, and it should have been $14.95 plus $ 7.95 for S and H. I then tried calling them and got no one, so I had to call my bank and cancel my debit card. Lesson well learned next time I will check these companys more throughly before buying anything. I then found out if any one is interested, you can buy these same plants @ Home Depot for $9.99 each.

• Ba
      26th of May, 2009

I too was scammed by this company. I ordered on line and somehow my order for "buy one-get one" for a small shipping cost turned into a $60.36 charge to my credit card. And I called and wrote to the them regarding this charge and of course got no reply! I would bring an action against them, but really do not know where to start. Any advise? I would be happy to sign on to such a charge.

• Wa
      5th of Jun, 2009

This product is like Barack Obama, it looks good on TV but when you get the it home, its not what you ordered.

• Wa
      5th of Jun, 2009

This product is like Barack Obama, what you ordered is not at all like what you bought on TV.

• Ka
      8th of Jun, 2009

I just ordered one hanging tomato planter for 19.99 and was charged 16.00 shipping!!! No option to chose which method of shipping.
    Also, what is this BS about "priority" shipping - for an additional 6.00 they will move you to the "front of the line".

• Dr
      12th of Jun, 2009

I'm glad I research anything and everything (but parishable goods) before purchasing you guys have saved me headaches

• Bj

Topsy Turvy - Plants Die
    Topsy Turvy
    Westmont
    Illinois

Do not buy this unless you intend to put in a wind free enviroment.
    All of my tomato plants died as soon as it got windy breaking stem at base of topsy turvy.
    Company should have noted to use this where ther is no windy conditions.
    I do not or can not have these wind free conditions so its totally useless.

• Pr
      10th of Jul, 2009

I have two topsy turvys. the plants grow but they dont bloom.

• Th
      17th of Jul, 2009

i bought a planter and every tomato that grew on it had gotten bottom rot. I wasted money on a plant, a planter, and soil just so i could be disappointed and out 25 dollars!

24th of Nov, 2009

Ours lasted one season. The bag you place the soil in totally disintegrated. Waste of my hard earned money.

• Kc
      11th of Apr, 2010

My son received the Topsy Turvy strawberry planter as a gift, and when I looked at it I couldn't believe you had to purchase 15 to 30 strawberry plants! One strawberry plant was already included from my friend, but when I opened it up and looked at the directions it said you had to purchase 15 to 30 strawberry plants! plus a whole bag of top soil to go with it. Now that can be costly. Anyway, that's a lot of plants and I can't afford that. My income is not as much as my friends. I wish I could have given it back to my friend, but I don't want to hurt her feelings, so the Topsy Turvy's end up costing you a lot more money then the turvy itself. I guess if you're rich you can afford it. If I would have known that I would have told her not to bother getting him one.

• Ji
      10th of May, 2010

I totally agree with Theresa S. I also bought the Topsy Turvy, spent money on the soil, the plant food, and the tomato plant, only to watch it die within a week.
    So I tried it again with a second tomato plant, only to watch it die also. If anyone wants to sentence their tomato plants to death just put them upside down in a Topsy Turvy. Jim M. California