Tall Pines School / I would not recommend Tall Pines School to anyone!

Tall Pines School Complaint - Private School in Brampton, Ontario. After 3 years at Tall Pines School in Brampton we left in disgust. This school gets a D- rating from us!

The first 2 years were fine, our child was in Toddlers with great staff running that department. Everything changed in Casa (kindergarten). We noticed our child had a complete change in attitude with respect to school. Thinking it may not be the best match with those teachers, we requested a move to another classroom. This is when we first dealt with the head of the Casa Department. We were not impressed. We were made to feel the problem was on our end and they were doing us a favor by granting our request. We were specifically told by her NOT to speak to other parents about it. So of course I asked around. I found there had been similar issues and requests to move children from that classroom.

I did like the new teachers personally but they didn't seem well-equipped to deal effectively with a child who was now unhappy and defiant about school. The teachers told us on several occasions if they didn't ask our child to do anything the day went well. We disagreed with that approach but they continued. With one of the teachers gone several months into the year and various people filling in, its understandable that the remaining teacher felt overwhelmed with 30 students. However, if they let a child do whatever they want, they had no cause to complain later about behavior.

They also kept recommending the latest parenting books. And they were implementing the techniques from the books on the fly in the classroom, they told me. I was quite skeptical. One thing they suggested and were practicing in the classroom, was the direct opposite of what I was advised by a person who is actually trained and accredited in the school district to work with young children.

Things went from bad to worse by the end of the year. Our child was labeled a behavior problem and excluded from class activities. At one point, the head of the Casa Dept swooped in, took my child aside where I couldn't hear what she was saying. I asked what was going on and she said my child understood. Understood what?! From the deceptive smile on her face, even I didn't understand. What my child did understand was next being pushed out the door, just "in case" they were a problem during the upcoming activity. I was furious! If it was such a problem, the first thing they should have done was ask me to attend. I can't imagine how someone so out of touch with children could hold a position in charge of so many. I spoke to the owner of the school and once again, it was our fault, not the school. I told them we had concerns and were researching other schools. We wanted to make sure we were doing the best for our child. Apparently she took it personally because after the year was over we got a letter in the mail saying they agreed it was not the right program for our child. She actually seemed angry, which was evident when I spoke to her about my surprise in receiving the letter without even the courtesy of discussion, only to have her tell me that since I was looking for other schools I should go call one of those schools! At $10K/year, I think a parent has every right to question their services.

Afterwards I found out a few things. First, neither the teachers nor administrators running private schools are required by law to have any special training, unlike public schools where there is a set standard. When I paid for private school I believed I was getting highly trained and specialized staff. Not necessarily so. Fortunately for private schools that are poorly run, they have the luxury of weeding out anyone that may challenge inadequately trained staff so they can look relatively capable on paper.

Its not unusual for young children to go through stages of defiance, especially in the midst of changes that don't agree with them. Rather than constantly putting the blame on us and saying our child had behavioral problems, the school should have referred us to professionals to dispense the advice and diagnosis. One thing was apparent; they were no experts! Tall Pines recommended a small class size and specialized schooling. That was all false and we paid no attention because by that point we realized it was only to deflect blame from them for their mistakes. And sure enough, it turned out, all that was necessary to solve the problem was to be away from Tall Pines.

Now at another school, we're doing wonderfully. I researched the new school and asked a lot of questions this time! Our child was reported as very bright in a number of areas and we're now able to take advantage of those gifts in a positive school environment. When I've mentioned missing or wanting to go back to the old school, our child screams "NO!" and gets very agitated. Our child is loving school and excited about going and participating. And there are no longer any "behavioral issues". When I see the difference between the schools and the effectiveness of the teachers, I regret ever putting my faith in Tall Pines.

I would not recommend Tall Pines School to anyone and I hope parents researching schools online read this and are better informed than we were at the start. I felt the administrators were untrustworthy, financially motivated and did not have my child's best interests in mind. Parents need to research schools and ASK QUESTIONS rather than assume, as we did, that the school provides adequately trained teachers just because you're paying thousands of dollars. Watch your child for cues that the school is not meeting their needs. Trust your feelings and your child's reactions. Problems at school may be systemic rather than an issue with your child.

A VERY dissatisfied parent, formerly of Tall Pines School, Brampton, Ontario.

More Tall Pines School Complaints & Reviews

Plus Tall Pines School - Tall Pines School - good or not? [14]

A  5th of Feb, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I first of all want to thank the first author for writing about her/his experiences at Tall Pines School.

We are experiencing similar issues with the Casa Kindergarten classroom. We will request a meeting with the department head and post an update.
D  22nd of May, 2007 by
I was very shocked to read the comments about Tall Pines school. My daughter attended Tall Pines School for 6 years ( 2 years in casa) and it was the best experience ever. We left because we had to move. I am not discounting the experiences of the other parents but it was totally opposite to mine.

I felt that Tall Pines really promoted a love of learning and excellent study skills in my daughter. She is still benefiting from the knowledge and skills she developed at Tall Pines. Any issues were bought to my attention immediately by the teachers. I always felt that they had her best interests at heart. I have had many occasions since I left to reflect on the many positive aspects of the school. The school was highly recommended to me by a friend who had three children in attendance. I would not hesitate to recommend the school to anyone.
D  13th of Jun, 2008 by
From the sounds of it, Tall Pines School is better for NOT having this kid their family as part of the community. All their complaints are totally unfounded and this is just a temper tantrum rant.

Poor kid having this nutjob as a parent.
D  21st of Jun, 2008 by
ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Mabye the program was not right for your child, but that isn't an oppurtunity to go calling the staff untrained! This school has provided me and many of my freinds with some of the best experiences of my life, and those "untrained" teachers helped us experience them.

To any Parent reading this, Tall Pines is a great school with amazing teachers, don't ever hesitate to send your child there. You will never find an environment as kind and enlightening as this!
D  23rd of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Honeslty tall pines school is a great school it is canada's longest accredited school! You had a bad experience because of your child was misbehaving not the schools fault this school is recommended by the highest education consultants even JOnathan Fox said that we have a great school. Yes, Jonathan Fox! He is a man all the way from Carolina to see our school!

Just to say it was your fault on how you raised your child!
D  23rd of Jun, 2008 by
Tall Pines is an awesome school! I should know I've gone their from toddler to grade seven. Our class, Montessori Junior High, cooked a lunch for Mr. Jonathon Wolf (sorry bobby, wolf, not fox) and he enjoyed it immensely! I was asked to write an introduction for him and was in charge of salad :) This is the sort of great stuff that is worked into our curriculum at TPS. We even have the oppurtunity to help out in classrooms and earn community service hours in school. I can honestly say that most of the teachers her are my friends and the smallish number of children here means that everyone knows each other!
This is a great school! I totally do not agree with your complaint!!!
A  15th of Nov, 2008 by
Tall Pines is a horrible school. After the year we were fed up and left. Tall Pines is ineffective and frustrating to deal with. our children are in a better school now and we're much happier. Our recommendation? Take a pass on this school. Its a waste of your hard earned money.
A  7th of Feb, 2009 by
Tall Pines is NOT a good school. The staff are unprofessional and make decisions on a whim. You're better off in public school!
N  8th of May, 2009 by
This is so confusing. I m a single mom and the money i would be paying to this school comes out my child and spousal support whichmeans i would be cutting down on my and my childs other expenses. I dont know what to do
A  14th of Sep, 2009 by
ill agree with anyone that freaking hates this damed school, did you know that some of us were students in this horrible place that disliked it. for the parents or maybe some gayass staff from tps pretending to be parents and just wanna take more of our dam money maybe you believe you like this trash, but your child doesnt, unless ur from mjh, which the gayass school people just take everyones money then dumps it into one classroom, nobody gets anything else. like i know there were so good people in mjh, but this school just encourages them to be stuck up ### (even the guys). DONNT MAKE YOUR CHILD GO THROUGH THIS. THIS SCHOOL IS ### ### ###. The reason why the people that run this school is so overweight is cuz they eat our ###ing money.
A  19th of Jan, 2010 by
Similar complaint I found here:

Tall Pines has inferior, untrained staff and a focus on money at the expense of your children.
N  1st of Jun, 2010 by
I found another complaint board and this is what I wrote though simular in content just take out the parts that dont make sense and you will have the general idea oh here; to cut the confusion here is the link for the other complaint:https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/tall-pines-school-c5675.html I posted it here again anyway though:

Seriously? I find some of these complaints irrational and unfair. I myself am in MJH and we, unlike what you may think, are getting in trouble more often than not. Majority the teachers dislike us us well (Although I may admit they have a few reasons) and we are getting told to be like YOU! I know some of who is commenting; I know who hates our class. Tall pines school is overall an amazing school for childrens social and accademic improvment though it does not suite every student. Some student's strive on the independance they are given and the enviorment they are placed in and some again do not! The teachers may favor students occasionally in a few classes and I admit freely that the prefects are unfair but you tarnishing the schools name for few mistakes. Also I find it immature that adults are basing the school on one child's experiance and making blind assumptions. We are knowlagable about grammer and spelling but in this day and age all children use slang and things such as lol and other such "words". Lifers awards are not given to MJH's or any student just because of thier class! If you would like a lifers award than earn it! Mrs. Flett is a gracious, kind and honerable woman as is Mrs.Z and most of the teachers at the school as well. If you can not be mature and kind enough to bring the faults of the school to the faculties attention than you are the one who does not care about the children and is dare I say : "too chicken to do whatus rite"! I am a grade seven MJH student at Tall Pines School and I find myself uncorrupted and repectfull as well as reasonably educated. Also if I may say "none2" is not propper grammer.
N  10th of Dec, 2010 by
Tall Pines is ok but the staff SUCKS. That person that watches us at recess is a total [censor].
A  19th of Apr, 2012 by
i attended tall pines school from the age of 4 until i graduated and can say it was not a good experience. a lot of the teachers are biased and some are even a bit racist. this is because more than half of the staff are all white. the quality of the education was not as good as some may believe. i agree that it is better than public school, but there are much better private schools (mississauga private school, mentor college, appleby college). this school takes a ridiculous amount of money not only from the tuition, but from the millions of fundraisers. there is not need for so many fundraisers since they charge upwards of $14000 a year. i literally spent my grade 7 and 8 year being forced to deliver food to classrooms, to fill out lunch order forms, and to do other irrelevant tasks instead of being taught something. this school also praises the Montessori half of the school because they all are involved with the drama and arts programs. this is unacceptable since none of that crap matters when you get to high school. the transition from grade 8 at this school to high school was shocking. this is not a school it is a cash cow sweatshop. they force the students to do tasks that the teachers should be doing, and the teachers are too busy worrying about other crap than to teach. there are some very wonderful teachers at this school who actually know what they are doing, but they are being outnumbered by the useless ones. i am definitely regretting attending this school. my parents spent over 100, 000 at this school, and i can safely say that there are much better alternatives. there are virtually no extra curricular activities offered at this school (unless you pay for them). it is breathtaking to know that this school must be extremely profitable. they seem to never make any improvements to the school, and always seem to need more money. they did recently build a gym at the school, but after being open for more than 15 years. if you are a parent and was thinking about sending your child here because they make it seem so wonderful... please don't. otherwise your child will be posting a comment like more or maybe even worse when they are through with it.
A  16th of Jan, 2013 by
I attended Tall Pines School since I was three, and I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. The staff are biased and favour students whose parents give them extra money, the only extra-curriculars are very hard to get into unless, again, your parents bribe the teacher, and they are all completely immune to bullying. I was bullied for two years and even though it was very obvious, the teachers turned a blind eye because the girl that was bullying me was very, very rich. I used to hide in the washrooms for hours on end, crying my eyes out, and they wouldn't even know I was missing. Students are allowed to wander out of class whenever they want, and no one cares. The class sizes are astounding- UE has aproximatley 65 kids in one room. All of the staff (with the exception of a rare few) are biased pigs just teaching to get money. I hated this school so much I left in Grade 6. My advice: don't waste your time on this piece of ### they call a school.
A  18th of Mar, 2013 by
I agree completely with this complaint. In Public schools, teachers are expected to have their Bachelor of Education, at tall pines not a requirement. So parents are paying extremely high fees, and their child may be taught by an unqualified teacher. The CASA and toddler programs are in no way in accordance with the Day Nurseries Act, a requirement for all other childcare centres in Ontario. This means they get away with high ratios, as well as having to follow all other rules required by this act. They do not have to follow sleep time rules, outdoor play requirements and the list continues. That is not all, the teachers who run CASA and the toddler programs are not even Early Childhood Educators, another issue right there, nor are they Registered as ECE's. Just thought I would share this information as many parents are unaware of these details tall pines won't provide for you. Tall pines may say that their teachers are montessori trained.. a 9 month certificate program as opposed to normal teachers who attend a 1 year university accredited program that allows them to be certified teachers... Tall pines teachers are not certified to teach in any other school, some rare teachers who work at tall pines might have their bachelor of education but not all so be careful, and really research the school before you send your kids there.
N  11th of Feb, 2014 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Tall Pine Sucks! never go there it'll ruin kids lives!!! i don't recommend it for anyone child. My child is failing Highschool because of Tall Pines they ruined my husband her and my life :( never go there!!! im warning you you'll go bankrupt!! it happened to me
A  8th of Nov, 2014 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was in taal pines school for 8 years and it was awful. There is a lot of bullying going on and the teachers dont care at all. Also the teachers are lazy as hell. I dont recommend anyone to tps. They say they are the best school in brampton well there not. The education there is the same thing every year. My sister right now is in grade 8 and they are still teaching the same thing back from grade 3. Also look at the prefects. This year they choose 2 of the kids that just joined grade 8. This means they werent able to make there own studs leaders. And then theres this teacher mr gill, he acts like a kid. Everyday he worships batman. There just there do earn money they dont care. There are SOME good teachers that actually care but the rest care for money. And the kids there are rude and inappropriiate. This kid in TPS swears everyday and acts like hes having sex all the time infront of the teachers. Just send your kid to a school in toronto or IB where THEY LEARN.
A  27th of Feb, 2016 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
They have changed significantly. Current im in the Zone and we are being troubled. Teachers are okay but some are not really teaching. And the students curse eachother way too much. I have been there since casa and I have been troubled by a few classmates a lot. This school is different from the way it use to be. So I wouldnt go there.
N  27th of Feb, 2016 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Also as one of the comments said above some teachers may be unqualified and we have to pay 30000 a year. I feel this money is a waste at Tall Pines.