Sunspots Vacation Rentals / Bad service

PO Box 21305Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:
4.15

I rented a vacation house with five friends in Leavenworth, WA to celebrate Oktoberfest. We had a great time and the house lived up to its advertising. We were careful to leave the house clean and in excellent condition.

I paid $1305.00 plus a refundable deposit of $400 for three days. When I did not receive the deposit back, I contacted Sunspot and asked them about the deposit. They told me that they were not going to refund my deposit because I had ten extra people staying the weekend there. That, of course, was a total lie. There were six adults and one 5-year old child staying in the house, all of which were disclose on the rental agreement. No one else stepped foot anywhere near the place over the weekend.

They refused to discuss it with me, or to provide any evidence of these additional 10 'phantom people' that they claim were staying there. I wrote over ten letters and had all of my friends sign affidavits stating that no one else stepped foot on the property (the affidavits were provided by Sunspots). After all of that, they still refused to refund the deposit.

I filed reports with the Better Business Bureau and the Washington State Attorney General, but Sunspot refused to respond to the complaints. I was contemplating taking them to small claims court when, to my surprise, I received a letter from the Attorney General stating that they had gotten a judgment and settlement against Sunspots. They followed up the letter with a check for a partial refund of my deposit. While I only got less than half of my refund back, I felt totally vindicated. There is justice in the world.

Stay as far away from this company as possible. Even though the Attorney General and the courts forced them to pay up, I dont believe for a minute that the experience caused them to grow some ethics and integrity.
Va

More Sunspots Vacation Rentals Complaints & Reviews

Comments

St
  20th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I worked for Sunspots for a short period of time and was shocked at how little concern they had for industry ethics and guest safety. Even when the health inspector wrote them up for conditions that truly endangered guests, they laughed and called the very serious violations a "joke". Their "response" to something no professional lodging firm would even consider allowing was to seek to get the inspector fired. Sad, sad, sad situation... I left as soon as possible. Be very, very careful if ever booking with them.
Dr
  26th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Same experience happened to me, no refund check for 4 months I called them six times. I am so happy you got some justice, these guys are a horrible company.
Ma
  18th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
OK, now I know that waiting 6 weeks for our refund is business as usual for these guys. I'm considering a lawsuit or a Twitter negative publicity campaign...
Ch
  25th of Jan, 2010
I wish someone would start a twitter campaign! These people are the worst of the worst. They spend a lot of money on marketing to be at the top of the list for their properties on the internet, but once they've got your money, you are like yesterday's garbage. I waited months to get my damage deposit and it's a law in Washington state that damage deposits must be returned within two weeks of the guest leaving the property. Their houses at Wapato Point are for sale, short sale and they have stopped doing any maintenance; the yard was a mess, overgrown and weeds everywhere. The house was very expensive to rent, and I saw other houses that were much nicer, and cheaper. The layout of the house was very weird (had to go through a bedroom to get to the back yard), but of course all that information was not available on the web site.
Un
  20th of Jan, 2013
From Beachwood Resort

We have a difficult situation in our hand concerning a fraudulent third party management company of William Victor May continuously making unauthorized reservations and credit card transactions with our guests. He is a career criminal and we found that out the hard way. Even after our association with all of his operations was terminated, he is misleading our guests and taking reservation deposits for him to keep (in some cases 100% of the rent amount). Now he is making up fake promotions and discounts to collect more deposit money. These funds don’t go to Beach Wood Resort at all!

Please do not make any credit card transactions or reservations with this illegal organization. They go by many different names but it’s all under William Victor May’s direction: Vortex company, iStay, Finito Services, Sunspots Vacation Rentals, Goldener Inns & Resorts Network and other various names falsely acting as representing Beach Wood Resort. He has victimized many other lodging businesses like us using different company names.

However, if you've already made a deposit to any of William Victor May's company listed above, please cancel your reservation completely by notifying your credit company that Beach Wood Resort has canceled service due to these being unauthorized bookings. These transactions are not authorized by Beach Wood Resort.

The web site ILoveBeachwood.com is also under full control of William Victor May. It is not our official website! We have no control over this website at all and none of the payments or reservations made through ILoveBeachwood.com will reach Beach Wood Resort.

If you have any question regarding reservation, send us email to beachwoodresort@yahoo.com or give us a call during business hour. Our telephone number: 360-289-2177 and 425-818-5151 .

We are working on it in every way possible to protect our guests from his scam and hopefully convict him of criminal wrong doings. Please be advised as of now, any reservations or funds deposited to any of William May's companies we've listed above, we cannot be held responsible. We have done all we can but he isn’t going to stop doing these illegal transactions anytime soon and there are already too many to count. William May does not send us any of these booking information or deposited funds. Therefore we had to come to a decision not to allow any service to these fraudulent reservations by William May’s operations.

Please accept my sincere apology for this inconvenience. I have the highest appreciation and gratitude for you all. If possible please pass this information to your friends or family members who were guest of Beach Wood Resort in the past. Thank you in advance for all your support and understanding.