Suburban Propane / overprice

1 po box 518Lyndora, PA, United States Review updated:

Suburban purchased Agway and the prices have been rising ever since. I called December 14 for a current price and was told it was $4.45 a gallon for propane. I called all the other companies in the area and got prices from $3.25-$3.79. That is $1 a gallon more than the lowest company in my area. I went to the government web site Energy Information Administration and found out that the current resident price for propane is $2.36 a gallon. That is more than $2.00 more than the national average. I also looked at the wholesale price for that $4.45 propane and it is $0.73. That is 73 cents for the propane that they wanted to charge me $4.45 for. That is over 600% profit. Is that gouging or not. I have no problem with them making a reasonable profit but that is nothing more than robbery without the gun. I called my local state senator and was told that there prices were not regulated. If we get enough people calling our elected representatives, they will regulate them. If you want to change companies, you have to pay your old company to take out your tanks and pay the new company to put in new tanks. The only alternative is to convert to electric.

Comments

• Ka
      20th of Jan, 2009

I am another Suburban user that bought Agway and couldn't believe what they charged me for my last bill of Dec 23, 2008. The invoice showed only 3.9 gal. and they billed me $57.48 with no explanation or itemization. I called and the office secretary told me that because I was a low volume user (less than 14 gal/winter) that they had an increase and I would be charged $.06/day from my last fill up (which was Mar 5, 2007) plus $5.24/gal plus a regulatory fee of $3.81. Last year the highest price I paid was $3.48/gal. After going back to figure out what I was told on the phone, the price on the invoice was still overpriced. I sent a letter to the Lyndora office but was told that if I didn't pay the $57.48 I would be considered delinquent and it would be sent in as a late payment in spite of them not even itemizing or sending me notice of this outrageous increase. I plan on getting in touch with my representatives. The problem I have is I don't think there is another company in my area to supply propane. This company is a real rip off.

7th of Jan, 2010

I was just charged $6.31 per gallon, but was told it would be in the four dollar range!! What the heck? Suburban can come pull their tank. I called another company and they said if I have my own tank they will charge me $2.50 per gallon. Guess what? I just had my own tank installed and waiting for my new propane supplier. I will never buy from Suburban again!!

• Cs
      13th of Feb, 2010

When Suburban and Agway merged, their prices went way up and service went way down.