Steiner Transocean / Lowlife company to work for

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

I was a hairstylist for steiner's at sea on two of there ships for four months. I would have to do 22 up hair up do's a day, and not ever let up on you to sell there ### products that are 500% mark up or more. I would work from 8am to 12pm, one hour lunch, and then no breaks from1pm to 8pm.No over time pay, and we would have to do hours of over time every week as well. I was making steiner's $8, 000.00 to$10, 000 a month, and add 23 more workers making them about same amount of money per month, BUT ALL WE ###ING GOT was $800.00 or $900.a month, tips plus commion, and they were always 6 to 8 weeks late with our pay, and always saying the paper work back'ed up, and our money is safe with them. The queen ###ING ### of the comany in Miami office is ### FOR A HEART, Amanda Francis, DOG BOSS FROM HELL, by way of London. After my 4 month try-out contract was over I ask'ed for all my pay and Amanda gave me more ### about the paper work being late, and then she ask me to sign a new 8 months contract, no way would I work another day for this lowlife company even if got my pay on time, I QUIT at that time, and then Amanda got so red in the face and began YELLING at me for quiting, I ask for my airfair home thats in the contract, if you complete the 4 month tryout contract, you get airfair. Hazel Archer, the only nice lady at the Miami office gave me my airfair, Amanda was yelling at Hazel not to give it to me, but she did not put up with her B.S., and told her I complete'ed my 4 months contract and I get my free airfair, good for you Hazel for puting Amanda in her place. It took me about 5 months and lots of phone calls to get all my back pay, thanks to Hazel, I got it. Working onboard a cruise ship is a good way of life as long as you DO NOT WORK FOR THE LOWLIFE OF ALL COMPANYS, STEINER'S

Comments

12th of Jan, 2012

i have just been told off a fellow steiner friend to come on here and read this absolute ### of a story so i have...
    i totally disagree with every thing that you have said about the company and amanda its all lies. you said you did 22 up doos a day yeah !!! well you should think your self very lucky to be that busy . baring in mind people will only come in for a up doo on formal night whicj is not every day now is it (liar). and if so it you were any good at your job 22 guests means 22 people leaving you a good tip... so if you wernt getting this you were ### at your job. so you also stated you were making steiner 8000 - 10.000 dollas a month so a hairdresser gets 9% of that so comission wise that 900 dollas a month going into your ocean pay (thats good) beacuse every body does a 9 month contract so 9 x $900 = roughly $ 8.000 in comission alone to go home with at the end ov your contract. plus the tips the americans leave you i have just returned back from my 2nd contract with $19.000 after 9months could you save that at home(i dont think so)
    anyways every thing you have said just does not add up at all.what make me laugh is you said you were only doing a 4month contract there is no such thing and that when you told amanda you were leaving she shouted in your face. amanda only comes on the ship on embarkation and you are only a number to steiner plenty more fish in the sea so if you want to leave its no problem to them they dont care so amanda certainly will not have shouted in you face you silly girl. she is a very nice lady who is amazing at her job someone to look up to really in the steiner world. seems to me you just werent cut out for the job you were a quitter who just couldnt handle it get over it sado.
    p, s to anyone out there who wants to earn some amazing money and see the world please take no notice of these small minded idiots and come and work for steiner its the best BE THE BEST... WWW.ONESPAWORLD.COM (STEINER)
    FEEL SO BEETER NOW THAT IVE GOT THAT OFF MY CHEST COS THIS POST REALLY MADE MY SKIN CRAWL

12th of Jan, 2012

totally agree wiv u janine brown amanda is an idol 2 all the REAL steiner girls i hav worked wiv janine 4 a contract and she is true steiner if she had 22 updos she wud get them back in 4 teeth and facials . u had ur contract b4 u joined the ship so u know wot u were letting urself in for its the best job in the world

12th of Jan, 2012

well said jade odonnel ha cant wait to go back to sea

get back 2 ships jb go smile needs u

• Me
      17th of Jan, 2012

I completely agree with the above, it's people like you who give Steiner a bad name, they give you a job, to make money, save money and see the world all at the same time!! A four month contract, you mean you quit after four months and now blame Steiner for your own failure, Amanda Francis is one of the most honorable business woman you will ever meet, and I always look forward to her coming an board because whenever she does your vision is enlarged with the possibilities of growing your own revenue! I know of hairdressers that will do anything to be that busy! Yes Steiner is not for everyone, it's not a working holiday but if you are looking for a bit if a challenge and your not scared of a lil hard work it is an opportunity of a lifetime :) I myself have been with the company for almost 3 years as a personal trainer onboard and im getting ready for my next contract and I couldn't be more excited!

19th of Jan, 2012

meyer well said and yess steiner isnt for everyone certainly not for this quitter above and if your a team player going to the spa for 12-14 hours a day isnt like going to work bacause if your working in a nice spa with nice people all working together as a team you enjoy going to work and making money too. cant wait to go back my self roll on april.steiner would not be where they are today if they werent as good well amazing as they are.they are the best FACT...

• Me
      19th of Jan, 2012

Janine I completely agree :) glad too see someone enjoy it as much as I do, yes sometimes doing inventory till 2am and then having to pack it all away again at 7 am is a lil tiring, and getting 5 pallets of stock on one of the very few mornings you get to sleep in is a lil annoying but if you stay positive and just step outside and realize where in the world you are then you know that night you will be sitting in the crew bar dead tired but laughing with your team because if how miserable everyone looked that morning, it's hard work but then you get over it, if you survive a Steiner contract you will be a stronger person, no job in the world can teach you so much about business, hard work, self motivation and dedication as Steiner... And when you get back on land everyone wants you to work for them because every wellness or beauty company company wants you to work for them because of the skills you have achieved on board. My next contract starts in 28 days and counting :)

• Ne
      2nd of Jul, 2012

hi there i just wanted to say that ive been reading alot of posts from people who have experienced steiner...and to be honest im a little confused i get that its more suited to some people than others. i guess i will never know unless i give it a go.

• Be
      21st of Aug, 2012

Not really sure what to think of any of this; been looking online everywhere and all I can see is people moaning to their hearts content about Steiner - just quit if it's that awful? Finally found these positive comments and very confusing. My training starts on the 1st of October but I have read the contract and it states you get paid 6 weeks in hand, you have to agree to working overtime, you have to agree to everything so no point signing that big old contract and crying about it later! I'm looking forward to earning without having to pay the bills every month, $900 a month being spent on sweet F.A is something to be grateful for. I've never heard of a 4 month contract either, and also if you quit it states in the contract YOU pay the airfare so if you got that you must have kicked up a right fuss! all I'll say is that it's nice to see some positivity about Steiner for once!

• Es
      3rd of Sep, 2012

Eee I start on October the 15 and I cannot wait :).sounds and looks fantastic the bad comment is Ovb of someone who needs to grow some balls n is one of.lifes moaners I deal with people like that all the time ... Get a grip

• Ci
      26th of Sep, 2012

My son has had his life more or less ruined by this sham outfit! Lured by the promise of seeing the world he gave up everything only to be "fired" for not hitting his retail targets after 4 months of working more than 15 hour days with hardly any time off. This experience has hit him hard and left him thousands out of pocket. The whole thing from the training fiasco to the constant bullying tactics of his superiors on board ship has left a very very nasty taste in his mouth. As for his final pay packet -- he's been waiting months, always being promised it's on its way but never arrives.

7th of Oct, 2012

I worked for Steiner in 91 for 7 months, so glad there are other people on here that think the same of Amanda Francis, nastiest cow i have ever met working in a company .. £35 a week is all i got, we were lucky if we got tips. lived in appalling conditions .. Once your on a ship you are buggered they have you by the bollocks cant get off, unless you pay Steiner back for your so called training . Hmm you are only looked after by Amanda if you lick her ### !! I was left on a ship that went into dry dock not one offer of flying us home, no electricity or water and that's how you got treated .. Oh and before anyone says i was top retail seller and good at my job but a little bit of concern and care does not go a miss ..I would say it opened my eyes to life and people and a company that there only concern is cash not You !! On leaving the ship i was given a very large amount of cash to bring back to UK which i later found out i was not insured for, that is not good company standards .. Since leaving i have had fabulous bosses which i respected .. Its a shame Amanda never had compassion, sensitivity and a little bit of understanding of what we are feeling stuck out on a floating hotel .. I'm glad of the experience but would never in a million years work for them again ... All that springs to mind with her is a cold hearted manipulative power obsessed woman . Have your wits about you working for this company and if your not happy be careful how you address it because if you don't play the game with them they will break you .. Oh and if Amanda or Steiner would like to respond i would be very happy to to discuss what ###s they are !!!

31st of May, 2015

I worked for Steiner in the late 1990's and while I can't say that I agreed with Steiner's policies, I was lucky in that we actually got a salary then! I did not like the fact that Steiner did not pay for our medicals and with the amount of money they make they certainly could have put us up in a better place than the YWCA! This place was dirty and crowded and not what I expected from such a big company as Steiner. I also hated all of the corporate stuff and the way AF spoke to us - did not like that at all, not very professional but I ended up staying and did 2 contracts in the end. You just can't take it very seriously, and I did make back the money I spent getting to the UK and 5 weeks of spending money while training. I was not very impressed with the training itself but I certainly wasn't treated badly while there. I would not have put up with that kind of behaviour, (and nobody should) so as an experienced Steiner my advice is to be assertive but don't take ships too seriously either. In international waters, they can get away with ridiculous hours. I saw lots of things happen to some of my co-workers, but ships is a tough life, it isn't all about fun and travel, it is a lot of working too. You need to be aware of this before you sign up. It's not for everyone, but in the end i enjoyed it and didn't take it too seriously. Just keep your head down, do your work, smile, enjoy the Americans, and everything will turn out OK. You don't have to agree with everything Steiner does, but perhaps things have changed now. I really can't comment on how things are now, i am sure they have changed a lot of their policies. As massage therapists we used to get paid a weekly salary, plus commissions, plus tips which means you have to actually work for your money. Again, my advice is to be knowledgeable about the body and products and you will have the Americans eating out of your hand. Become their friend and they will buy anything from you! That is what sales is all about, and that's what Steiner tries to teach. Like i said, I didn't always agree with the way they did things and the way we were spoken to, but I just put a smile on and got on with it! Just know what you are getting into before you sign up - I remember going to some fantastic places and have some great memories!