Star Health Insurance / unfair increase in premium

1 India Review updated:

Dear Sir

I had taken health insurance from star health & allied insurance company limited from Chennai on 09/09/2010 and paid a premium of Rs. 4054 for sum assured of 2 lakh. The scheme name is Family Health Optima Insurance Policy. Its for 2Adult + 2 Children. My age was 40 years
Policy Number P/700001/01/2012/004333
Id no. [protected]
And the same policy I renewed on 12/09/2011 and a premium of Rs. 3648 was charged as I had not used the policy for any hospitalization.

For the past two years I never used this service for any hospitalization.

And now for the renewal of the same policy I got a call from telesales representatives from Star Health company and are asking me to pay Rs. 7612/-. The reason for the increase as they claimed was that they have increased the sum assured from 2 lakh to 3 lakh and host of other day care hospitalization was added on.

My complain is that :
1. Taking a policy and the sum assured is left to the policy holder and not to be enforced by the health insurance company.
2. I had told them that I am more comfortable with the plan called family health optima and interested in the continuation of the same policy. But the star health company gave me the reply that they have withdrawn the family health optima policy and I have to buy this new policy.
3. When I protested against their forceful introduction of new plan as I wasn’t interested in it, then they are giving me another policy called family health delight. In this policy I will have all the benefits of the old family health optima policy but the premium will be 5618 which is almost the double the amount I need to shell out
4. When I took the policy initially they had promised that they will never increase the premium and will remain as it is in the brochure but they have gone back with their commitment and in the guise of introducing new policy plan they are forcing the customer to buy their policy with higher premium.
5. As per their commitment they are supposed to give me 10% reduction during the renewal of premium if a customer is not used the policy, but here, I am forced to pay almost double the premium for no fault of mine. (log into http://starhealth.in/health.php?healthid=16)
6. They have not given me sufficient time to shift the policy to other insurance company. My renewal date is on 11/09/2012.

I request you to look into this complain and give me justice and safe guard the interest of thousands of customers who are being taken for a ride unjustifiably.

Please do the needful and save common people.

Sincerely
Anthony K
[protected]

Comments

An
  24th of Nov, 2010
Star Health Insurance - Claims Related
Star Health
India

It is general in India that if anyone applies for a claim when one gets hospitalised, the first thing is they reject it. Even after giving evidence to the companies, still they give teh same reply.
My uncle has been admitted in the Mallya Hospital, Bangalore suffering from Acute renal failure. He has never drunk Alcohol in his life. The insurance company tells that Due to Alcohol Intake, it is denied. The doctors have given a clean chit telling that it is not becuase of Alcohol or anything. Still the insurance company gives the same answer "Due to Alcohol Intake" the claim cannot be approved. What sort of humanity is there with the company. What sort of company is this.

People - Please do not apply for insurance with Star Health at all. Poor customer service. they have useless people in processing and the doctors out there are at utter waste.

Su
  21st of Nov, 2012

yes ..it is unfair...the same thing to me too...
very bad approach from the star insurance company

Pa
  10th of Dec, 2012

Same case with me too. I have taken coverage for 10 lacks and payed initial premium around Rs. 11000.00 now I got the renewal for around 17000.00. There is no prior intimation also from Start health insurance co. This is unfair

Sa
  9th of Feb, 2013

I agree with Mr. Anthony

Star Health has revised the premium for me too, without even claiming a single time. I tried to chat with their representative on the website and they are not able to provide reasons for the increase in the premiums.

What purpose is the policy document if they are going to over-ride as per their whims?

Sh
  3rd of Jul, 2013

I have the same issue and I plan to take it up legally. Please send me any information about your experiences at shazeel@rediffmail.com. I spoke to Mr. Anthony and he is no longer pursuing the case after having written several mails to all concerned parties and having received no response. We have exchanged numbers and intend to keep in touch.
I hope to create a website about such issues and try and mobilize some support.

Ma
  12th of Jun, 2014

this seems to be common practice followed by Star Health - happened to me too.. premium shot up by 2.5k without any notice/intimation. Some kind of scam they are running.
the agents say all kind of funny things to justify... one fellow told that it is because the give changed... give me a break - its been 2 weeks since Modi took over.
I would advice people not to go with Star Health..

Should we go to consumer court?

Go
  8th of Jul, 2016

Absolutely no reason for increasing. I started my policy with Star in the year 2010. The premium was Rs. 4, 054/- for Self, my wife and my daughter. The next year I continued the same. Later I increased the value to Rs. 4, 00, 000/- instead of 2, 00, 000/- hence the premium was changed to Six thousand and odd which I agreed and paid. But now the renewal notice indicates that the premium about to be paid is Rs. 13, 691/-. THIS IS RIDICULOUS ! Star is taking people for granted and there was no reason given for the change in the premium. This is annoying. And there is no people there to attend to the telephone to clarify about this. I am totally feeling dodged by this company.

Sa
  22nd of Feb, 2018

We have taken health insurance for our parents with Star Health and allied insurance company.
While taking insurance from Policy Bazar they said we need not mention diabetes and hypertension as it is understood if the person is above 60 years.
Last year when my mother Mrs.N Susheela got admitted the insurance company denied the claim saying the disease was cause of hypertension and diabetes, that was not covered.
Then we were instructed to include the same which we did.
Now my mother is admitted and the insurance company has denied cashless claim saying that the AKI- Acute Kidney Injury is not included.
This is due to hypertension.
Request you to intimate the insurance company to inform all the details before we purchase the insurance.

Ud
  23rd of Apr, 2018

It happened to me as well. Its been 4th year with Star health family optima insurance (2 Adults & 1 child).
I need to renew the policy by 30th Apr 2018, when i checked the premium amount it is showing it as 7600 without including tax for 3 lakhs coverage.
But i was already in the 4 lakhs coverage till the 3rd year as i did not apply for any claim in 3 years. Not sure why they have hiked the premium to more than 2k without any proper intimation and reduced the coverage to 3 lakshs again.
Thinking to cancel this policy...