Specialty Merchandise Corporation / Violated there own contract!

966 Flower Glen StreetSimi Valley, CA, United States Review updated:
4.8
Phone: 850-805-578-5500

First I called SMCORP a man sounded very friendly but to friendly. He asked me if I had a bank account I had replied no I don't. He asked me does anyone have a bank account I said yes, my mother does. So he asked me a few more questions. And he told me that I would have to wait for 9 to 15 days until I would see my package. And then he made a comment to me (don't call me any earlier until you see your package. I replied okay. Keep in mind I ave this guy my mothers banking information.

I waited for 16 days just to make sure my package never game I called SMCORP back that day or he following day, which ever day I know that it was ASAP! I spoked to to exactly 4 people that day. Each of them telling me that they could not find my name in the system. My mom was on the other end of the phone while I was making some of these calls and also listening near by. So they asked me to resign up I replied okay.

So this time my mom gave them her debit card to use this time. My package arrived in 4 to 5 days because that's how long it takes for a debit card. Got my package then all of of a sudden they hit you with all kinds of charges coming from here and there. I am telling them I don't have the money to pay for an website. So I was getting stressed out about all this new money that kept being asked for again and again. Then keep in mind we have a business coach. He kept trying to tell me to stay in smc as again I said okay. My business coach said he would have another way I could make money in order to pay for my e merchant website. Or to send a money gram of 290 dollars. I didn't do that.

So I called a few times to tell them I was canceling. I called the first time on October 23, 2007 didn't receive my package but then they told me they didn't have my name in the system but two days later on my mom bank account on October 25, 2007 they charged it on my mothers bank account. I asked them why did they do that. A women replied well mam That is because you signed up for it on October 23,2007. And they took out 39.95 that same day October 25, 2007.

Finally I took my smc kit to the post office November the 27,2007, Now I skip the second time I called in for the package the second time which was November 8, 2007. I returned my package to the post office November 27, 2007. It got to Fontana California December 5, 2007. I have my receipts and all for prove. Now I am trying to get a refund and they are telling me I only get back 24.95.
Va

Comments

Me
  2nd of Jan, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Smc is a complete ripoff I signed up with them and recived a memebership kit and it is garbage needless to say, first of all from day one they overdrew my account by debiting my accont twice and would not correct the error. Member services department argued with me and very angrily might i add about how i was in the wrong and the customer service is very very poor within this company. I basically paid 80 dollars out of my pocket for nothing but a big hassles nad headaches and an overdrawn bank account. They sign you up with this so called website when you first order and they fail to mention that the site they sign you up with which is Emerchantclub. com, will not seel anything on that site for more than 19.95. So regardless of what you put on there you wouldn't make much of a profit, and there are a ton of hidden fees they don't discuss on the initial phone call, the market is so saturated and the company, oh my god the company i don't see how they exist, They thrive on membership fees which are a complete waste. Do not sign up with this company I know there are more legitimate companies out there who know what customer service is, and actually help get you off of the ground.
Ra
  2nd of Feb, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
These people scammed me for $1000.00 dollars. Convinced me to purchase their gift card program. The site didn't work. My customers couldn't get it to work and when I called for support which took forever to contact, they just told me to tell them to try it again. When I tried to get the $700.00 dollars of mine they were holding, they informed me that I had to purchase their products with it. I finally did and received the biggest bunch of defective junk I've ever seen.
Lo
  20th of Feb, 2008
I have yet to a problem except they will not give me the free products that another lady from Canada got to start. I even sent in a order and was satisfied with it all I want is the same free products to start aparty of my owm and use there products for my store if anyone knows a better company that delivers to Canada please email me at lornadahl@telus.net. Is htrer any way to get my free stuff or get my money back? Thank you Lorna dahl
Je
  6th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I was scammed by smc and e merchant there was a guy who called me on the phone and he sold me this produxt that at the time I really could not afford because I was unemployeed. So at that time I was desperate for some money and the con-artist made it sound real good. SO I bouught this website for like $1800.00 and I never made one dime off of it. So now I am seeking the atty general to get involved with this issue. I call e merchant and they said that I cannot get my money back all I can get back is the $39.95 fee that was being charged to my acct and I had to go to my bank to have them to a stop payment on this they were charging me for a website that I never made a dime off of. Very up set and I would not recommend anyone to ever do anythin like this.. All I want is my $$$$ back and I am not going to stop until I get it back.
De
  9th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have never had a problem with smc customer service OR their products. I have been a member for four years. It is up to the individual to say no to the website and to all of the other offers. Perhaps some are easily persuaded and prefer to blame the person who sold them the website they could not afford to begin with. The products are very reasonably priced and the markup/profit margin is quite generous. The only problem I ever had is the wait on the telephone line. I think it's a pretty darned good deal.
smc works for me.
Sh
  24th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They are a fraudulent company. I have not dealt with them in over a year. Then one day I get my credit card statement and low and behold a charge from SMC Corp for $49.95!! Not Authorized. My credit card took care of it ASAP. I told them I wanted them taken to court for fraud! They are ###!
Ma
  12th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I 've been a SMC member for 10 years, its been a great company for me. One thing you have to realize is that you get what you put in. I was only making $1, 000 month at walmart. When i started smc i hit the gold mine. I have Big Venders like walmart buying from me and along others. I have webites now, website are tricky and expensive but they do work! work hard at it and it will come. I would have been in the dumps if it wasnt for SMC. One thing I learned Lazy people tend to complain the most.
  21st of Jan, 2010
SMC are con artists. I owe them nothing, but they are using a collection agency and threats of legal action, trying to get money out of me.

In fact they owe me over $700.00.

I signed up with them and then canceled cause I changed my mind. After canceling they kept charging me the membership fee. I had my credit card company block all payments to them and that when the collection agency started calling.
Sn
  16th of Sep, 2010
I have been with SMC for nearly 9 years. I have never had a problem with them this whole time. I think that it takes a person with 120% dedication to their goals, and it takes time, money, ENERGY and most of all PATIENCE to run and start a good ONLINE business. Online businesses are the hardest thing to start, but if you have patience and the skills you need then it will work, but it takes EFFORT on your part. When I started SMC I just got married and wanted to work at something I thought I could do to earn our family extra money. So, My husband agreed to have me call. I ordered the best membership and paid $550.00 for approx. 25 products of all kinds, (all very nice) Videos of how to start and be successful if I did it step by step the way they told me too, they sent me my first 25 big catalogs, and a lot of the small ones, order forms and order charts, they set me up with EVERYTHING i needed to start MY business. And, I did it. I ordered products I knew that people I knew would love and I sold them all out of my mini van to different neighborhoods. I did that for the first year! And was doing just fine and gained allot of my clients that I have today from doing that.

No, I don't sell to walmart or have a website up with them yet..but I do plan on purchasing the website soon. I trust in SMC and believe that its NOT their faults if someone don't succeed! Its our faults for not doing EVERYTHING we can to make our sales better! That includes going to School and learning about business if that what it takes. ITS UP TO THE PERSON STARTING THE BUSINESS~ My membership is great, the only thing is when I got cancer and wasn't running my business for a 2 years, my membership number wouldn't work in the computer anymore, So I called and they said that I just needed to pay the membership fee of 45.95 and get put right back on. So, I did. I never had a problem NOT ONCE with my credit cards.

Some people just don't have what it takes, and feel the need to blame the company for their lack of hard work in making it a go! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR ENDEAVORS.
Ke
  4th of Nov, 2010
MAYBE THE PEOPLE THAT DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SMC IS BECAUSE YOU WERE ALREADY FINANCIALLY STABLE ENOUGH AFFORD THE HIDDEN FEES AND DON'T EVEN MONITOR YOUR RICH BANK ACCOUNTS WHILE OTHERS WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT WE'RE READY AND WILLING TO BE A PART OF SMC WITH GOOD INTENTIONS BUT WERE NOT INFORMED THAT SMC WILL DROP BY YOUR BANK ACCOUNT WHEN THEY GET GOOD AND GOT DAM READY WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION AND TAKE YOUR BILL, GAS AND GROCERY MONEY.
Je
  14th of Jun, 2011
I have recently signed up for SMC and so far I have not had any problem with them at all. I received my kit in about 3 days and I received my website with in 5 days, which was free but I have to pay the hosting fees and those are $39.95 a month. That is very reasonable if you do you research. I have a business coach, whom I don't have a problem getting a hold of whenever I have a question. I called him today as a matter of fact even though our appointment wasn't until this thursday. He answered any questions i asked. I already have people interested in my catalogs and had to order some more. I live on a limited income and I don't have alot of money, but I do know business and if your expecting to get rich overnight then... you are fooling yourself. its like a plant, you start with seeds, then with patience, time, and yes... money, it will grow. just don't give up..also a great tip..don"t ever give your bank info or use credit cards..I use prepaid debit cards, so they can only take out so much and you won't get overcharged