SPCA Springfield Dbn / SPCA Springfield Dbn

1 South Africa Review updated:

I am appalled and totally disgusted with the service I have received from the SPCA in Springfield Park Durban.
A few weeks ago a stray cat had shown up at my house which was extremely ill. I had called the vet closest to me but due to the fact that it was a Saturday afternoon, they were closed so my only alternative was to call the SPCA on their emergency line. To my knowledge, they were meant to help animals not cause them more harm. When the vet had arrived I had informed her that I would call their offices on Monday as I wanted to adopt the cat and she agreed. I was horrified when I had called on Monday to find out how the cat was doing, only to be told that a stray that is sick, is not treated but put down. According to the lady in the kennels department, it’s no use trying to save the life of a stray.
Last weekend my little puppy was bitten and wounded very badly. I immediately rushed her to the SPCA once again thinking that the SPCA was there to protect these helpless animals that cannot speak for themselves. When I arrived with my bleeding dog in my arms, I was asked by Devika in reception to wait as everyone worked according to appointments (even though this was an extreme emergency). Eventually over an hour later when my dog was finally attended to, she had asked the vet not to treat the dog as I had not paid a deposit!! After I had taken care of the payment, I was told that they would have to keep my dog in their facility for the weekend in order to monitor her recovery. The weekend had passed and I got a call at 9am on Monday morning. Apparently my dog was in a bad condition and the only option was to put her down.
When I had arrived at the SPCA to see her for the last time, I was furious as the dog had not been treated since she was admitted. Her wounds were not treated or stitched and she was not given any sort of medication. Her body was badly decomposing due to her open wounds. I was told by the vet on duty that the SPCA is not a 24 hour icu facility and that they did not have millions of rands to monitor our animals around the clock.
My question is why did they admit her in the first place?? If they could not treat her that very moment, why make me pay to keep her there in the first place. I am convinced that had I had I taken her to another facility; my baby would be with me today.
NEVER again, would I ever consider calling in on the SPCA. From my personal experience with them, I don’t believe that they are protecting our animals. Unfortunately for me, I have learnt a hard and painful lesson that has cost me the life of my little angel Leah

More SPCA Springfield Dbn Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Lu
      7th of Dec, 2010

I am also appalled and totally disgusted with the service I have received from the SPCA in Springfield Park Durban.

• Le
      10th of Feb, 2013

Friday the 8 of 2013.. My puppy was injured.. He had lost blood nd injured his paw. We took him to a private vet near but due to him being busy in another operations circumstances forced us to go to SPCA durban coastal in springfield.. Such a regret decision now. Wen we arrived there, we were already in a panic state nobody offered to calm us or see how badlY injured my baby was. We asked then how long and dey. Said we were next in line. But it was really an emergency because our puppy was loosing blood. Its amazing that none of them took the time to have a look to take to seconds to see I was being dramatic. Finally wen we seen to. The vet is taking his time.he just looked at my pup and the 1st thing he said was there's ntn he could do. He had to put him down.. And straight way I said no in that emotional state. We gna take him somewhere else. But they did not give us an option.. It was my puppy and they made the decision 4 me. Is that even right! I. Asked him to wait 4 5mins 4 my dad to show up. If he was right that my puppy had to go then atleast let us say byt. But they closed the door on me. Either come in the room or go out. But they not waiting. I screamed and cried and begged them to wait. To try.. To be honest there were 3 ladies there. And 1 male veterian. Not 1 person comforted us. Not 1 person saId anything to us. They just starred to their windows. While my granny and I wre in tears. And asked money 4rm us 4 putting him dwn. It was such a traumatic thing to u. Now guys u tell me if these ppl love pets so much( I mean that shld be the reason y u work there) howcome no1 understood what we wwe were gng through. Howcome no1 came to us. They were really rude and I didn't like their service at all. It kills to think if they really show love to their animals.. I heard about them putting animals down to often and I'm not gna let this slide. I would like to know how could take this up to higher authority.. I am digusted at their services

• Ro
      6th of Sep, 2013

when you think of spca what comes to mind someone there to help you and ur pet .That is the last thing i got from them this is what happend had to move out from where i was and move somwhere else for 1 month and i asked then too help to please keep my dog and i will take him out in a few days time and cause he was missing 1 injection they refused to help me they took him from me and they said that they are going to put him down how can you ever do something like that and then they wonder why they are so many stray dogs cause the owner rather let the dog wonder around rather than being taken to the spca to be put down that is so bad that is like a child cause i had no other way to keep him i had to let him go and the staff are not friendly at all they need to wake up there cause the see a lot of dog that does not mean u cant help and to charge people so much thats so bad

• Dh
      8th of Nov, 2013

It makes you sick to know what the SPCA does to our babies! They meant to be there to look after and help not kill and leave for dead! I would take this matter further!!! My heart goes out to you and your babies you lost ...

• Ta
      22nd of May, 2014

I am totally disgusted and appalled by the treatment we received at the Spca in Springfield park. Our baby that has been with us for 13 years was sick and because his usual vet was not available we went to the Spca . Within 5 minutes of looking at our dog after about 2 hours of waiting we were told we had to put him to sleep and that was it we weren't given any options about other treatment . When we refused the vet insisted even saying that she wasn't gona let us leave with him. In the 5 minutes she 'looked' at him she even managed to say that he had cancer. She gave us no comfort or assurances she just insisted we put him down. I refused and said i don't trust her diagnosis and wanted a second opinion and even then she was still difficult after what seemed like forever she gave us the name of another vet, leaving there was the best thing we could of ever done upon arrival at the other vet we were told that our baby could be treated and there was no medical evidence showing that he should be put to sleep . I thought the Spca was suppose to help not hurt pets and traumatise their owners. They are cold heartless people and should seriously reconsider their profession. The vet's name was Belinda . If there is anyone out there with info about who i could report this to pls post info on this page. Thanks. My heart goes out to those who lost their babies in such a tragic way.

• Pr
      9th of Jun, 2015

I am deeply heartbroken an disgusted with the treatment we have received from the SPCA. Last Tuesday we were visited by the SPCA as someone complained about my dog who would have turned 14 years old in November. He had some medical conditions however was still able to maintain his normal routine. We were given 24hrs to take my dog to a private vet. However we could not @ the time due to transport issues so we suggested that the SPCA treat my animal however they refused to . We did not ask them for any type of favour as we were going to compensate them. Money was never the issue. On Thursday the inspect arrives loads both my dogs in her van with no compassion an takes them away. When asked why she took my pup who is 6 months old an adopted from the the Same SPCA she says she cannot leave the dog to get neglected. This inspector was the very same one who came an inspected my premises an older dog. She was aware of my dogs age n medical condition. Surely if she had concerns about the state of my dog she could have voiced them 6 months ago an not granted us permission to adopt from SPCA. We have made an appeal to the SPCA to try an get my puppy back but have been rejected. My family and I are good people who love and take care of our animals. My dogs have never been ill treated nor neglected. If we were such horrible people why would we choose adoption an how would my dog survive for so many years without proper treatment or love??? Please voice your comments on this issue an let me know if you agree or disagree. Thank you.

• Ni
      15th of Mar, 2016

Today i visited the car wash in chatsworth on bullbul drive at the execl garage, only to look to my right an see this poor dog tied up with a rope, as i am lover of animals and cant stand to see cruelty i walked up to the dog as i was concerned more than frightened he would attack me. As i got closer to him he sat down n rolled over looking for love and attention. Near him were two completely emtied bowls. I asked one of the car wash assistants to please get him some food and water as the dog was his bosses. According to the assistant the dog has been there since last year october from a pup and he is now fully grown. I have taken pictures below as proof of the dogs condition. Let alone him starving and no proper house he has ticks!

• Pi
      6th of Dec, 2016

The spca in durban is cruel and only greedy for money!they killed my healthy female cat Victory and her three kittens!all for nothing. They said she was stressed. I dont believe a word of it.they think stray cats are worthless and use the donations for their own benefit and pocket!this inhumane facility should be shut down for good.spca durban doesnt protect our animals at all.spca must fall!