SmartSavings.com / unauthorized charge

Phone: 1-800-511-6538

i had ordered a movie from hotmoviesales.com for $1.60 and a week later i was charged $39.95 from smartsavings.com for a membership i did NOT sign up for! Then they charged me an additional $1.oo for I don't know what and on top of that, they were going to charge me every month!I had to call 2 different numbers to get it cancelled and dispute it with my bank!Anyone who has experienced this issue, the # to call and cancel is [protected]. The number for hotmoviesales.com is 1-866-5-movies.GOOD LUCK!

More SmartSavings.com Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Da
      3rd of Dec, 2008
    SmartSavings.com - unauthorized billing
    Texas
    smartsavings.com

there billing practices are ridiculous, i am so tired of my hard earned money, that is very tight these days, being taken advantage of. i wish there was someway to shut this business and others like it down, for good, but we all know where there is a law, there is a criminal loop hole!

• Gb
      18th of Dec, 2008

I completely agree. They won't let you close your account either. They stonewall you all the way. They'll come up with any excuse in the book to keep you from closing your account. Complete idiots on the phone, they'll tell you they are just following protocol. Screw their protocol, they are using our money and for what?!?. Don't buy from these freaks!!!

• Pa
      3rd of Feb, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - unauthorzed charges
    Evergreen Park
    Illinois

Unauthorized charges on my bank statement. I have no idea where this is from and what they are charging me for. They got a hold of my account number and are have $29.95 taken out of my account for a purchase! I am calling the bank tomorrow but the scam needs to be checked out and they need to be prosecuted.

• Ta
      3rd of Feb, 2009

I also was charged the $29.95 for a free trial I didnt know I signed up for, by the time the free trial was past, then I seen the charge on my checking account, and all I did was order some books!

4th of Feb, 2009

I am currently having the same problem with Smart Savings. I did get them to refund the $29.95, but the monthly $1.00 cgarges are a monthly fight. Calls to the SS end up in and overflow ctr. with a callback to follow in 48 hours. They must have a different time pice then I do. I never get calls back.

• Rc
      13th of Feb, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - membership
    smartsavings.com

I bought a book very cheaply and cancelled my membership shortly thereafter. I took me two bank statements to notice their membership fees of 29 bucks a month. I called and talked to a Lourdes who said she would cancel my membership immediately and refund the two charges. She gave me a confirmation number(I was reading this webpage as I was talking to her, ) and said it will take five to seven business days for the refund to show up. We will see. If it actually happens I will post another notice.

• Re
      26th of Feb, 2009

Yes I also just recevied an unauthorized charge to my account after I had purchased a Saddle club movie a year ago. This companies need to be stopped and shut down. This is not right. I know I wish that I had this information before had I will let everyone on my email list know about this company.

• Bi
      27th of Feb, 2009

So far they gotten to me for over $126.12 and i don't have a product from these people. I wrote a letter to my credit card company and told them about smartsavingscenter.com, but they still charged my account. They truly are a rip-off company. I think that they should be put out of buiness and made to refund our money.

2nd of Mar, 2009

I had this same thing happen to me. I was able to stop the $39.95 charges (which, by the way are monthly) after 2 months because every time I would call, I would get to be the next person in line and the call would be disconnected. However, I am still being charged the $1.00 per month- for what, I don't know. It seems they have a possibility to get a lot of money if they charge enough people $1 after they have quit the "membership" they didn't know they had and didn't sign up for.

• Ga
      3rd of Mar, 2009

I too have been dealing with smartsavings, disputing charges on my credit card. I found the staff to be very rude. Again this month I received another withdrawal on my account for the $1.00, He (the supervisor) told me who ever I spoke to 2 weeks ago didn't bother to cancael the $1.00 fee when I questioned what that was for that too was for another membership! Unbeknownst to me, I signed up for two memberships. This place is a RIP OFF, Don't let them get you. The way they get these memberships are very decieving and misleading!!!

• Ju
      3rd of Mar, 2009

Samething here...I ordered a Mighty Machine video for Xmas for my Grandson in mid Nov. They said 5-10 days for deliverly.. I checked back after 2 weeks and was on back order...meanwhile credit Card bill showed up with the $39.95 "Memebership Fee"...we immediately called this outfit and was on hold for almost an hour--fianally talked to a person who could barely speak or understand English!!! Was shifted from site to site--over 2 Hrs later got this resolved--NOT!
    Following month (Jan.) had a $1.00 maintenance charge...called again...got it took off. You think!
    Feb. got a $1.00 maintenace charge again--called them back and got it took off---next call will be to Credit Card and Florida Atty General office.
    BTY they discontinued the "Mighty Trucks" series at this site.

• Ga
      11th of Mar, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - So called Fees and I am not a member
    Smartsavings.com
    5315 West Arid Canyon Dr
    Marana
    Arizona

I found a website online to buy 2 movies. The movies were cheap. Total cost was 7 or 8 dollars.
    Next thing I know they were taking out fees of 29.95 per month and one dollar twice to boot.
    They were freely charging my credit card without my permission.
    I called them and they said if I would have read the shipping label when I recieved the movies in the mail, I would understand.
    I immediately demanded they remove all charges and they said they were only authorized to remove one charge of 29.95. The rest was theirs.
    I decided to go onto their website and cancel my so called membership and I noticed that I did not have a password. So they sent me a number to use to login. They got me for around 80 dollars for two dvd's called Blazing Sadles. What can I do to get them to give me my money back?
    I ask the gentlman who works there if he was getting alot of calls like me and he said yes. He admitted that it was wrong because he gave me back a 29.95 fee and said it would take 5 to 7 business days to show. It would be nice if they could be shut down immediately because just about everybody who tries to buy through them are gonna pay. I am a retired veteran and I am not real happy with America today. Can anybody help?
    So far I have called them, I have demanded repayment, I have cancelled what they call "membership". Do you believe that?
    I am not a wealthy person. I am retired and I cannot afford fees. I cannot get surprises on my credit card. It is wrong and I wish I lived in Florida where these scams are coming from. I would visit them in person. Their street address is on their website. Know what I mean?
    Please respond.

• Da
      12th of Mar, 2009

I recently had a charge to my checking account for $59.99 which I did NOT authorize. Please check into this matter, and put back the $59.99 that was unjustly taken out of my checking account.

• Su
      16th of Mar, 2009

This is a problem for me as well. I keep seeing a $1.00 charge on my bank statement. Today I finally decided to research it and found this web page. Same thing for me. I ordered a book from HOTBOOKS ...did not join the SMART SAVINGS club but got charged $39.95. Called to cancel which they did AND REVERSED THE CHARGES, but I'm still getting that $1.00 charge. I'm going to call right now to have it credited to me.I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for the input

• Ro
      17th of Mar, 2009

I also am being ripped-off from SmartSaving.com. So far for the past two months they have charged my account for $29.95 after I have cancelled the. I having being tring to contact them, but I have had no luck. If someone out there can help me, please email me at [protected]@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

• Su
      15th of Jun, 2009

Hate to tell you this...but this company is located in a Foreign Country and they do not have to comply with our laws. I bet the company you ordered from has a PO Box address in Florida, too. I TOO am a victim of SmartSavings.com. For me is was a book, for my daughter. I have Washington Mutual, and they were VERY helpful. They had me cancel my Debit Card immediatly, and they re-issued me a new card. They told me that once the card is cancelled...there are no more Pre-Authorized Charges. It stopped my problem with my bank account...but not with the company. I received many threating e-mails, telling me I would be in trouble for fraud, unless I contacted them and gave them a good credit card number. I too had cancelled my membership, but they still attempted to charge me for several months...several times a month. What alerted me to a problem, was when my bank charged me a foreign transaction fee...and my book company had a Florida Address.

I am sorry for you, I understand your frustrations. But you money is gone, and you will NOT see it again, no matter how many calls you make. I would think that if a company has a US address, and does business with US Customers, that they should have to comply with our laws, but they do not. And there are probably THOUSANDS of victims...because of how many different companies are a front for them.

Your bank should be better at helping protect it's customers from fraud, I would recommend another bank...but NOT WELLS FARGO, they are the same way. Your Bank should have stopped your card and issued you a new one right away.

I wish you the best of luck in your endevers.

• Lh
      9th of Jul, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - Fraudulent Charges
    L Hayes
    New Mexico

I tried to order a $4 movie from the Internet. Big Mistake. Not only did I NOT get the movie but found out that the act of ordering the movie supposedly signed me up for some kind of "membership" with smartsavings.com whereby they could take money out of my account each month for doing nothing. Why would I sign up for such a membership? Answer--I did not. To stop the fraud, I had to cancel my debit card. But my bank told me they could actually sue me and force me to pay for bogus monthly fees going on indefinitely for the rest of my life because I had cancelled the card and they supposedly have proof I signed up for a membership.

ANYONE READY FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? IF SO, WHERE DO I SIGNUP?

Please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com