Smart Step Insurance / fraudulent business practices

1 14901 Bogle Drive, Suite 300Chantilly, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 703.488.6100

Unauthorized Fee added to monthly mortgage statement for disability/ accident insurance. Once tracked down and contacted, this company has many ways to dispute your request for a refund. They tell you that a phone conversation is recorded and they will have to review it for "proof" that you really didn't enroll in the program. I was told by one supervisor that "I did INDEED enroll in the insurance program". I disputed this and when speaking to this supervisors boss... I was told there was no record of the phone conversation, thus, my refund was approved and would be forthcoming. I have seen several "scam" descriptions of "Smart Step" on the internet once I started searching for information about the insurance and it's company. I was able to get a verbal from a supervisor that the refund will be forthcoming. I strongly suggest that something be done to stop the fraudulent practices of "adding" this to someones mortgage payment each month without true enrollment or authorization.

Jo

Comments

• Eb
      28th of Oct, 2008

Smart Stem and SCAM OF AMERICA. They did the same thing to us! The bank has been trained to say they can only go back 60 days. How can a bank give anyone access to your account unless you give the number to the scammer yourself. Must be one of the reason bank of America is doing better than most because they have Smart Step scamming and I am sure the bank gets a % of the scam. I am going to post this on every news station that there is, they took over 400.00 from me. This is really wrong!!!

• Ki
      12th of Mar, 2009

I noticed an unauthorized charge from them earlier this year. Called BofA and they said they could do nothing. They gave me an 800 number to call. A young girl at Smart Step said she will investigate and contact me within a week. Never heard from her again. Went into a BofA branch. They wouldn't help. I cancelled all my accounts right then. Filed a claim with Better Business Bureau. Got a reply within 2 weeks and a refund check within a month. Such a hassle! I hate Bank of America and will never bank with them again.

• Oc
      30th of Mar, 2009

I have had to deal with the same mess! But I did tell them I would try it for 90 days for free! After I got the information in the mail, I did not like what it was offering and sent in the cancel form. One month later, $40.00
    was taken out of my account! This over drew my account. I called and was told I would have to wait tell it was paid until I could file a dispute! The payment had posted, but had not been paid yet. Bank of America would not stop the payment!! So now that it has been paid, I can fight to get it back! Bank of America said it could not stop the payment even though it had not been paid yet. So I guess what they are saying is they can't stop there own computer from making payments!!! Thats scary!! I will come back and give an update when I have more info.

• Ih
      9th of Jun, 2009

your all stupid i swear boa should tell there ###ed costumers that they will i repet will be called by telemarketers u bank with any big bank you will duh stupids and just to let you no smart step not a scam i happen to like it and its beneficial to me thats what i pay for number 1 you have to say yes to the people calling you its recorded dumb ### and guess what its recorded because of people like you who are dumb and try filling fraud charges. guess what so when you call boa and tell them this line of bull ### you say scam they lissen to that tape and thats why you dont get your money back.. hahahaha stupidity is the key term for you people.

• Je
      19th of Jun, 2009

I agree with the fact that this bank and their affiliates ARE attempting to conduct insurance business in a way that is unscrupulous. I tried to get our money returned and was told by several reps that they were either sending us paperwork in the mail or a tape in the mail - to no avail. (3different times) They are getting rich taking money from people - one person at a time but with an organized plan. Why does a bank stoop to such tatics to do business? If they had upstanding business practices and were going to sell insurance over the phone, they should at least require a signature to validate. They could be speaking to anyone on that phone.

I am not disputing that the insurance is ligitimate; that, I don't know because right now we STILL do not have any paperwork as the the validity content of the insurance plan; not one piece of paper. We only have charges to our account. Supposedly, (they say) my husband agreed to it but I told them my husband was under heavy medication at the time they mentioned including several months prior. They said they spoke to him on the phone but he had no real knowledge or recollection of telling them he wanted the insurance. I told them I wanted our money back because of his condition and besides that...we don't even need this insurance adn don't want it. From that point I just got their seemingly orchestrated responses. I just ended up closing my account. The only difference between Bank of America and the crooks running the streets is, Bank of America has a license and a STEALING PLAN that you can't fight. I could go on and on but what's the use - they will run this scam until they run out and they will start another. Why would I select to do business with Bank of America? I won't!!!

The person with comments about being stupid appears to have a problem. I hope you didn't really need to use it because that means YOUR STUPID ATTITUDE along with you are DEAD or some missing body part. The person that commented about people being ###ed must work for them.