Singapore Airport / very rude security officer

1 Malaysia Review updated:

I was travelling on 13th march at gate d42 1430 and this cisco security officer was very rude. She was waiting inside the gate, as i enter the gate she stopped me and ask for boarding pass from me, i gave to her but she didn't take it instead ask me go out from the gate in a harsh voice. She said i need to give her boarding pass to check before i enter gate. I didnt say anything but just complied. After checking she ask me where i'm from, i've told her 'Malaysia', and then she makes a very sarcastic remark 'Malaysia dont check boarding pass? '. What a disgrace for Singapore for having such a staff! First she didnt do her job properly by waiting inside gate chatting with other security officer, instead of waiting outside gate to check -boarding pass rather then when passenger enter the gate and she have to shouted them to go out again.
This is not the first time i'm traveling from Singapore airport but recently their attitude was getting worst. I would like to lodge a complain.

Comments

20th of Mar, 2012

Dear Cherlyn,

Thank you for your feedback. Could you kindly get in touch with us at corp.[protected]@changiairport.com? We would like to get more information about your bad experience to help us in our investigations. Thank you.

Terry Lim
    Changi Airport Group, Corporate Communications

• Ju
      13th of Apr, 2012

10 reasons not to visit Singapore.
    1)Singapore immigration officers are horrible and bad attitude, ill tempered.
    2) Airport Security staff demanding money, bribe, gifts due to economy getting worse.
    3) Racism, Singaporean treat people from third world as very low and they have no human respect.
    4) Any club, restaurant treatment according to skin color and nationality.
    5) Overcharging, cheating common by shop-keepers, bribe culture has started.
    6) Hotels cheating, poor service, high taxes and service charges.
    7) Risky and unsecured tourist places with bad and poor quality equipment, rides also overpriced.
    8) Locals drink on street after 10 pm. not very safe to walk.
    9) common man of Singapore thinks he is next to god, and they think what they do is correct and no body can question them.
    10) Most commercial locations are turning into sex shops, pole dancing junction, pick up joints and you find prostitutes chasing you all the time.

19th of Sep, 2012

Ironic, since many, if not most of the CISCO officers employed in Singapore are Malaysians, so it seems as if you most probably are making a complaint against your fellow countrymen...

• Co
      27th of Sep, 2012

Prostitute i think can come and go in Singapore anytime they what.. are the immigration officer in Singapore is checking if every nationality coming back and forth... look i been there in Singapore but entering that city is difficult, , if you are a tourist lot of questions but i know a lot of filipina going back and forth.. a lot of them are prostitute.. hello immigration please check...

• Sr
      8th of Dec, 2012

I had a same type of experience on early morning of 27 july 2012. I travelled by SQ flight to Changi airport from melbourne as a transit passenger . When I went through the screening without alerting alarm, a security officer checked my body. When I asked why, he told me that it is because I was wearing two layers of cloth. He did not bothered asked the reason before embarrassing me which I could have easily answered that it was because when I started the journey from melbourne airport, temperature was 04 centigrade.
    After that they refuse to allow canned fish in my hand luggage claiming the presence of liquid in it. When I asked the upper limit of liquid level one female officer told 100 ml hurriedly corrected by other female security officer as 150 ml. Total volume my fish can was 180 ml and it is not practical that presence of 150 ml liquid in it with only 30 ml volume of fish. the female officer namely miss V. premalatha according to her name tag even refuse my explanations that I arrived to Changi airport by SQ flight security cleared by Austrailian airport security officers. When I said that I would complain she put fish cans into the dustbin saying something in unknown language which made her female colleauges laugh at me causing much embarrassment. m y opinion is a well trained Karate fighter cannot be allowed to take his two arms to the flight as it is more lethal than extra volume of 30 ml in my fish can. Today, everywhere in the world highly consider about passenger facilitation while Singapore security officials do not consider about security analysis methods using their brains.I feel very sorry about the present situation at Changi airport once was very passenger friendly.

• Je
      13th of Mar, 2013

My husband & I went through Singapore security ready to board a "etihad" flight back to Aust. on the late evening of 12th March 2013, (gate f31) ---my bracelet must have set off the alarm, I was pulled aside for a body check, the female security officer ran the hand held device over my body with such speed &reckless regard, she accidentally crashed the device under my chin---the force of this abuse nearly knocked me off my feet--she was clearly showing off having so much power. I am a 73 year old woman& I don't think I look like a security threat !!!
    I was clearly injured & not one single staff member offered help.
    Here I am 48 hours later, still nursing a bruise---I am seeing the doctor today & think I will be sent for an x ray.
    This young girl clearly needs some serious training & even better, give her a lesser job
    Jenifer King

• He
      8th of Jan, 2015

Among other countries in Asia, Singapore is the one that we visit most frequently. We fly to Singapore almost every month. Other than the citi itself, we also like Changi airport. Stepping into Changi airport gave me a feeling of peace and comfort. Toilets are available every few meters away and all are clean. In addition, this airport is very child friendly that it provides baby care rooms as well as prams for those travelling with young children. That was why we could spend hours just browsing the airport before or after flying.
    However, the good impressions about Changi was sometimes stained by the unpleasant experiences when undergoing some procedures, be it at the check-in counter, immigration, or security check point.
    Several times, we had bad experiences with safety & security officers at the boarding gate but this time wass the worst ever.
    We (Me, my husband & our 5.5year old kid) took Air France AF0254 for our flight bound to Jakarta on January 5, 2015. The problem occured at Gate D44 Terminal 1 when our hand-carried luggage was x-rayed. One officer, a big fat man with bald head asked us with deepened (feigned) voice and intimidating tone to open our bag as there were liquids inside. It was true that we brough a kid’s drink bottle (containing plain water) plus one more bottled water for making milk, both are for our son. Everytime we travel, before or right after boarding we always make a bottle of milk for our son so as to let him sit quietly when the plane take-off.
    I & my husband explained that to him but this silly fat guy insisted on disposing one bottle out of two. He even grabbed the two bottles and gave us two options with raised voice, either we empty all bottles or let one be confiscated.
    It was not the first time we travelled abroad. We always do this for the same purpose and other security officers usually would understand that. But this fat bald man did not let us go with it. Instead he told us that we could get the water at the waiting lounge or ask for hot water in the plane. Off course we knew that water is available in the waiting lounge but the water is too cold that it would cause milk powder to lump. Furthermore, if we are to get hot water from the plane, we have to wait until the plane take off.
    However, since we did not want to waste our time over this overacting bald guy, we gave in the unopened bottled water which he then rudely dumped into the bin.
    We thought it was over so we put back the remaining bottle into the bag and got ready to board. But that silly staff did not seem to have enough yet. When we were about to leave, all of the sudden he asked us to give our son drink the water from the drinking bottle. My husband questioned him why we must do so. Again, he made long explanation that I did not understand and did not even want to hear. I wondered if he had brain. We were not criminals. Do we look like that kind of people who bring kid to conduct crime?
    Ok, it is our fault taking liquids inside the plane but what’s the point of insisting the kid to drink from the drinking bottle while were ready to go? I had a feeling that what he asked us to do was just to satisfy his ego by showing off his authority. It was not out of duty. It was personal because he was unhappy since we argued with him over the water previously (he thought he has the authority, who dares to debates him?). He did not even take a look when my son drank from the bottle as he asked. The way he talked and acted was very was not natural. It was obvious that he pretended to act as a professional (though he actually failed). His voice and style was humiliating and intimidating. To me, he was more like a ‘smart-aleck’ rather than a professional.
    After what we went through, somehow my enthusiasm of going to Singapore has faded away, thinking that we would encounter such a creep like him.