Rickenbacker Collection Services / verbal abuse, harrasment

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I unlawfully received a collections letter stating that I owed RICKENBACKER over one thousand dollars for a car i never owned. I called the 800 number to get more information and was treated so horribly. I not only didn't receive any help the woman I spoke with refused to give me their names, laughed at me and lied saying i called them names when in fact I hadn't done anything but try to get infofrmation. I was given a clearly fake name and then maybe two legitiment names - MONICA, who was the supposed supervisor and LATISHA. Both these woman were incredablly rude and verbally abusive. How is it legal to be treated like this when they sent me a collections letter with no proof, nothing stating I am responsable for a vehicle I never owned. This is unacceptable and infuriating. Is this business even legitimate? I am seriously considering taking leal action against them.

Lisa Langevin

Comments

• Ji
      26th of May, 2008

I just sent Rickenbacker $1, 351.25 dollars because they threatened to ruin my credit if I did not pay, for charges against a 1969 Dodge Caravan that was towed in 2006. I sold the car back then but have no proof of selling other than it was sold on eBay being the buyer paid cash I have no proof. Very Rude people to deal with. If I had it to do it over I would have paid a Lawyer the monies spent. In stead of giving in so easily. They droped the price from 1, 585.80 to the amount paid.

• Mo
      1st of Jul, 2008

Hi there,

Yes Lisa you are totally correct!
    I have the same problem about a car that was never in our possession, yet they posted a collection in my husbands name on it.
    I also called Rickenbacker and fair is fair the first lady that helped me was indeed helpfull, or so it seemed.
    She told me to go to DMV and get a statement that showes which cars have been registered in our names and send her a copy of it.
    So that's what I did, or wanted to do, for I am still waiting for the DMV statement.
    Now, that same "friendly" lady keeps calling me on a weekly basis with only one question: do you have any idea yet what you are going to do about the open account?
    And when I tell her I am still waiting for the statement and I haven't forgotten about it, she just hangs up the phone after a "uhuh". No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "ok we will keep in touch". Just a "uhuh" followed by hanging up the phone.
    I am more and more inclined to totally forget about getting a copy of the DMV statement to Rickenbacker. But on the other hand, they are ruining my credit score with a wrong statement.

And Jim,
    We had a similar situation last year, when we accepted an offer from Rickenbacker to pay $1000 instead of the total amount open. The arrangement was that after paying $1000 the account would be closed and would appear on our credit history as "paid in full".
    Don't let them fool you though!
    This year, on receipt of our new credit history report, we found that Rickenbacker hadn't removed any reportings.
    When I called them, they even denied we paid! Then, when I told them I could provide proof of payment and would do so in the court of law, the tone on the other end changed and told me that even if I had paid no such arrangment was ever made.
    Luckily I had requested a written statement of the arrangment at the time and I told them so, I asked to talk to the person with whom I made the arrangement. Blissfully ofcourse this person no longer works for Rickenbacker.
    However, having a written statement and proof of payment apparently was enoug for them to finally give in and remove the report from our credit history.

They are rude and far from professional and I wonder what they are trying to achieve with this behavior. And isn't there anywhere one can go to complain about them?

• Ky
      28th of May, 2009

I just called Rickenbacker and told them that a simple google search about their company proves they are far from legitimate, and that they'll never see a penny of my money. "Janice, " if that is her real name laughed mockingly at me and asked if I was serious. I told her if she sleeps well at night knowing she takes money from poor people. I'm getting legal advise now, and if worse comes to worse and I have to pay them, it will be through a lawyer.

• Ki
      2nd of Oct, 2009

i just recieved a letter from Rickenbacker under my husbands name of over $2000.00 of dept they are threatning to ruin his credit score... but now i dnt know what to do should i just contact a lawyer and see what they do or should i just pay in full...?????