Reverse Phone Detective / False advertising scam

P.O. Box 301Palo Alto, CA, United States Review updated:
4.6

This service claims to be able to locate users of the phone number. But they are careful to tell you that nothing may come up. If nothing comes up, you won't be charged. Not quite true. They get you to pay for an annual membership, which you find does nothing more than what a normal internet search could pull up. If you can't find anything that way, they won't. Ok, you really aren't charged for that one as you have a year's membership. But how great is that?

You are told that you could do a tracer report and won't be charged if nothing comes up. Same issue: Nothing comes up. However are you charged? You had to pay for a credit. Ok, credit is not charged but you have already paid for the credit to use the tracer report. So you were not charged for the usage but you sort of have this worthless credit. Ok, you could use an investigator report - but that's gonna cost you around $80. Same trick: Nothing found; no charge. Owe, but you are stuck with this worthless credit for an investigative report. Upside, they have your money for potential usage. Most likely you will not be able to take advantage of it and they are laughing all the way to the bank with your charged funds!

Comments

Jo
  1st of Dec, 2008

Reverse Phone Detective - Gave nothing and still charged me
reverse phone detectives
Illinois
reversephonedetective.com

I was scammed by someone using the internet and tried to locate the real person who scammed me only to be scammed again by www.reversephonedetective.com. I tried to get the name and address of the person to no avail. I then tried their private investigator for only $79 more. I did not even receive a note from them. They did take my money but provided no service at all. You can not reach them by phone, just email or snail mail.
Mi
  11th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
As a former employee of the company that runs ReversePhoneDetective.com I have to say that you are wrong in thinking that the site is a scam. They very prominently state on the front end of the site that a full phone report may not include the owner's name and address. Data is not available for every single number out there. If this happens the site is designed to automatically give you your tracer credit back to look up another number. In addition, if you initially bought the one time report and the name wasn't returned you get upgraded for no additional cost to a full membership. Most importantly, if you are dissatisfied for ANY reason with the results or lack thereof all any customer need do is contact the site's members service team. If they can't get you the information you will be refunded in full. The site prominently displays a 100% satisfaction guarantee and the company stands behind it.
Je
  31st of Mar, 2009
Yes, AND their number to get your money back within 90 days (which isn't listed anywhere unless you have actually bought the useless 39.00 year enrollment, IS 1-800-652-8360 CALL and get your money back!
Va
  9th of May, 2009
I totally agree with everyone here to date! What a RIP OFF! I've tried numerous times to ask for a full or even partial refund and just as they tip toe around in there web ad, I never got a straight answer as to why they can't refund me. They "claim" that whom handles their transactions "ClickBank" is unable to process refunds or partial refunds. That's BS! ClickBank is probably a merchant services company of which for my own business I deal with one, and we have from time to time credited customers without hesitance because our customers mean something to us unlike the "scam artists" at reverse phone detective.com

I paid $45 for one "hit" and tried 4 or 5 more phone numbers until I realized that my $45 didn't include cell phone numbers! You have to pay extra for each individual cell number.

Don't fall for this like the rest of us! They get your money and run! My next complaint goes to the BBB! I've waited over a week for something other than "I'm sorry for any inconvenience but..."
Ch
  1st of Jun, 2009
If you bought via clickbank you can get a refund from them within 60 days too.
Fr
  5th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
It is a scam. The advertisement showed that name and adress were available for the number I searched. I paid the fee to get the information, but after I paid there was not a name or address. To get those I would have to pay another fee for "tracer report". The member section had lots of links to find different information, but evry thing I looked at required additional fees. I don't know what the money I paid was for because I did not get anything! I tried it with several numbers and none, not a one found any information. I never wanted to pay another fee on top of the yearly membership so I don't know if the trace reports work or not, but this is a SCAM. It also seems they have astroturffed the internet pretty well with a bunch of fake blogs and blog posts (that are all the same and repeated) to convince people it is not a scam. But I found several posts with people claiming the same as you and the same as my experience. I will see if they promptly refund my money.
Ch
  5th of Jun, 2009
You can do reverse phone lookup for free:

Br
  10th of Sep, 2009
I just used the service to trace a hidden caller. When i did the initial search it showed there was a report so I purchased the 1 time report. Then it tells you, once you pay that the info on the number is unlisted and can not be found. ...but they say I now have a search credit...this is out right fraud!

Brian
Ra
  11th of Nov, 2009
yea...i had the same type of problems. where it says that they do have the details of the person ...and after i paid poof ...nothing.now i am trying to get a refund . thanks for all the post people.
chris
Fl
  30th of Mar, 2010
Wow, I must say I thought that the reverse-phone--directory.net which is associated with reverse phonedetective.com was legit, so I went and did a trace on my friends phone number and it cost one credit, which I had from being a member who also got the "unlisted, you have free credit message".

So when I tried it it did come with his full details so I don't know what other people are experiencing here but that's what I got.

So bottomline, failed on one number but worked on the next.
Fl
  30th of Mar, 2010
Oh and heres a shot of the tracer report, I have blurred the name for privacy of my friend but you can see it worked for me. I used reverse-phone--directory.net, and that would make no difference as that site belogns to the same service as reversehponedetective.com

Check it and see.

Mu
  8th of Sep, 2010
i used this service and got the same unsatisfactory results and the same run around as everyone else. the people that are defending this company are probably employee s trying to generate more sales.
Ra
  29th of Nov, 2010
Yeah, I too just got ripped off by them! Where they will get you is BEFORE you buy... where it shows that a name and address for that particular # has been successfully obtained. But then when you buy, they apologize that unfortunately they can't get the details for some numbers as with this one and then try to satisfy you with another free trace. THIS IS FRAUD! No one is pointing the finger at them for not being able to get info for all numbers, that is understood! But by implying before you buy that they have successfully obtained the name & address for that particular number WHEN IN FACT THEY HAVEN'T! Now I'll see about getting my money back. I paid with PayPal through ClickBank.
Hs
  7th of Mar, 2011
I just signed up because I was given the impression that the detailed information ie) Address, Name, Etc will show up. However, this requires another $7.99 on top of the premium plan that I've paid for. Has anyone gotten their money back? I'm sure they'll say that the premium package has revealed some information and try to sly through this.

search 1: no detailed information
search 2: no detailed information
search 3: (I used existing number that I know to test) Old address came up.

False Ad/Scam.
Se
  9th of Jul, 2012
IT'S A SACAM. They get you by you signing up for full details then all you get is 1 - pay attention - 1 ONE ONE ONE report for your 30+ plus dollars then anything after that costs you whatever they're charging at the time through tracer report because you CANNOT EVER get at name after that through them you have to pay extra if you ever wanna get another name attached to your search you have to pay extra SCAM SACAM SCAM I just got taken by them SCAM
Bi
  19th of Sep, 2016
Let me be very clear, this service is a 100% ripoff and will juice your debit card for something you did not pay for. They will not respond to your emails to address the situation. Any positive review is fake from affiliate marketers.