Prepaid Legal / they are nothing but thieves

1 Springfield, IL, United States Review updated:

I got involved with an associate of prepaid legal, I told him this I wanted to sign up and because my daughter was involved with it and she said I could make alot of money doing this.
Mark Clotfelter was my leader, he called me and told me what this was all about. Itold him that i wanted to set up a website, but my laptop had crashed, he told me no problem he would fix it for me. I sent it to him in October and when I called him to find out if it could be fixed and he told me no.
Well in the meantime I purchased another laptop and when I went to visit my daughter for Christmas I told him that I waned my laptop and my cd that was in my computer.
He said he lost the cd which i paid $29 for and he also stold the memory out of my laptop. I called the cmpany and of course they would not do anything for me even though I was going to sell their products.
Do not get involved with this company as they rip you off and you cannot trust these people. Mark Clotfelter is the name of the person and if anyone reads this do not get involved with this company serirously,

Ch

More Prepaid Legal Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Tb
      15th of Apr, 2009

Im so sorry this had happend to you, but not everyone in this company is bad, this is a very good company that has helped many of people both legally and financially, this is a very open book company. I've been involved for over 3yrs now and i will never look back. Yes it does take good leadership, but this is a on your own basis company. what this guy did has nothing to do with the company directly, so that is why they could not help you in that matter. Because anyone can do this business and the low start up cost it's hard to keep the dishonest people away. Some people get so desprate they do crazy things and makes us look bad. I would hope that you would give up on such a awsome opportunity it is not fake im 27 and job free

aloha
    t.j

• To
      30th of Jun, 2009

The so-called millionaires are so fake. In particular Loren Mikael/Regional Manager. She is such a huge fat liar. She said that before she joined Prepaid Legal, 5 yrs ago, she was making $500-1, 000 p/mo out of college. If you do the math a person earning minimum wage ($8.25) in CA would earn more than that: $1, 320 full-time. So why was she making less than minimum wage out of college. Please! Get you lies strait.
    At times she would would pause or forget her memorized speech. She was very cliche. Loren Mikael if your truly a six figure earner, please get your suit tailored.

Don't fall for this scheme. They make Prepaid Legal sound so important because their a publicly traded company. Please, any company can incorporate as a C-corp and register with the SEC and trade shares in the public market. Have them show you their 1040 tax return signed by a CPA to prove their so-called success.

The only true successor in this company is Harlond C. Stonecipher. He stared the company and is cashing-in on the idea that anybody can do the same. According to Forbes, in 2008 his total compensation was $2.2mil (this includes crap that is now worthless with zero FMV and salary of $400k). This is actually what CEO's, Presidents earn. Not the so called "ballers" such as Loren Mikael. Please don't believe for a second that you can earn this much in the 5 year plan they describe.

Do your homework.

• Aw
      1st of Aug, 2009

I have never, repeat NEVER posted to a blog before, but when I saw the disparaging remarks made about my friend Loren Mikael I felt the need to respond. I have known Loren's family for close to 25 years now. We went to elementary school together. She is 100% for real and one of the kindest people I have ever met.

As far as the $500-1000 a month Loren mentioned I think she was referring to how much she earned with Prepaid Legal in her spare time when she first started. I believe you may be mistaken about what you heard. I am both a member and an associate of Prepaid Legal and I love both the service the company provides and the financial opportunity for me.

I'm so sorry that that happened to the original poster and I agree with T.J.'s comments above.

a.w.

• Yn
      14th of Jan, 2010

doesn't anyone see it for what it is? This is a huge pyramid scheme..they are more interested in getting people to become "associates" than selling the product. People are so easily fooled...just pay attention to their presentation, sure they explain what pre paid legal services are, but y do they focus so much on bringing in more people to the meetings or trainings as they call it. Plus you have to pay to become an associate, come on see it for what it is a pyramid scheme that only be involving people you can make money. It is a good product, but they dont sell that they just want u to pay the person who is above you...dishonest people, shame on them!!

• Bb
      8th of Feb, 2010

@ ynot...

Why would you want to recruit associates to sell memberships? The same reason you work for the owner of your company. It's called leverage. The concept of network marketing gives the average person the ability to leverage just like a real estate broker gets an override when the agent sells a house, or like a car manager receives when the salesman sells a car.

And by the way, you don't automatically receive overrides. If you advance someone then they lose out on your overrides. You actually have to work and build your business just like an owner of any company. Corporate America is a pyramid scheme. Expample: you will never make more money than your boss. Get it?

• J1
      18th of Oct, 2010

Yep, I had the same experience with Loren Mikeal. She was very nice to me when she first recruited me by calling my resume posted on line and nice to my family and friends holding meetings to show the service. Then once I hit ED I was her "Best Friend" I fell out of ED two months later and all of a sudden was getting told to look at my associations, cut off "broke" friends and even family and work harder.

I thought this was a side business only 5-10 hours a week not a full time thing. I also did not like how she was telling me to cut off my family that did not do PPL or my childhood friends. She acts like she is better than you and even tells you to take notes when she talks. I am older than Loren Mikael and was shocked that she had the nerve to talk down to me about my life and associations.

I sold cars for 15 years and all this is, is hard core selling meeting quotas every month. You are told to do exposures to random people, yet the real way they get people in is by tricking them with placing ads and cold calling resumes. Then networking through other peoples warm markets. So no real friendships are made as it is all based on the next persons numbers. Loren and her husband Sean Mikael are some of the biggest fakes in pre paid legal. I heard that they live by the ocean and fixed up a nice house that is really a small condo that is closer to the freeway.

It is the little white lies that add up that leave a bad taste in your mouth about pre paid legal. The service has been wonderfull but the associations negative as they get you in and spit you out. I have lived in LA for the past 20 years and all of the fakes are at the poud bird in LA for their meetings on a weekly basis.

• Ca
      21st of Nov, 2014

I heard Sean speak and he shared his personal story in a very authentic way. He also mentioned his appreciation of his ability through LegalShield to buy his first condo and remodel it. He never represented that he lived in a house or by the ocean. That said, I don't know where he lives but suggest you hear from the "horses mouth" before you prejudge what you "hear" and spread rumors as fact.