PODS / property damage

1 5585 Rio Vista DriveClearwater, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-229-4120

I used three 16 foot pods to move from ny to co. The people in customer service were nice on the phone, accomodating with changes and seemed like a dream come true for my moving experience. I spaced my pod units out over a a few days for packing. The delivery to my new home would be within a few weeks.

When the pods arrived to my new home the first two were fine. There were no problems with my items. The last pod (Which was the first packed) arrived after being packed up for three weeks with serious water damage to my belongings because the plastic roof, which is secured by washers and bolts, was damaged.

There were missing bolts and several of the bolts had separated from the roof allowing the roof to flap open in the wind, rain and snow. Along the back of the pod there was only one bolt holding the roof down. I took picutres of the water damage and mold on my belongings, the water stains and mold on the inside of the pod and pictures of the damaged roof.

I called in to customer service and filed a claim immmediately (Within a few hours of receiving this pod). Three days later, when the pod was to be picked up, I showed the driver the roof and he came out with a broom and easily lifted the back portions of the roof. He wanted to check if the roof was properly secured, and he verified that it was not. He called in to the district office and described the damage. He even left me a business card and wrote the name of a person with whom I should speak.

After the pod was picked up, I was asked to send over pictures as proof of damage. Then, I patiently waited a month for resolution, for some kind of reply. Pods emailed back stating that there was no damage to the unit (Even with proof of pictures) and that water damage was not covered - how convenient! In a phone call, they stated that the driver denied lifting up the roof and they continue to adamantly deny any damage to the pod at all.

So, the water damge was described as "my fault". Now I must pursue a legal process to try to recoup my extensive losses. I detail my experience to save other people from the expensive personal loss that I have incurred by using pods. Pods does not live up to their claims of safe, clean and secure storage and protection of personal belongings. I have lost thousands of dollars (Well over twenty thousand) due to water damage that was sustained during my cross country move.

Ps I am not alone in this ordeal. There are other consumers who experienced similar problems in using pods. Read these consumer's experiences with pods:

Http: / / www.Thesqueakywheel.com/complaints/2009/jan/complaint42943. Cfm

Http://www.Consumeraffairs.com/movers/pods. Html

PODS

Comments

• Co
      20th of Mar, 2009

March 20, 2009

Via Internet

RE: Salsbury, Susan (100875821)
    Complaint # 49635

On 1/19/09, Ms. Salsbury contacted PODS, Inc. to file a claim for content damage due to water intrusion and the claim was processed. On 2/20/09, Ms. Salsbury was presented an initial offer in the amount of $1, 000.00 as a goodwill gesture with which she declined. This matter remains open under re-investigation as per Ms. Salsbury’s request until such time as an agreed upon resolution is determined.

PODS Enterprises Inc. prides itself of its quality customer service and I regret that Ms. Salsbury experienced anything less and please be aware that our representatives have been mentored correctly. We sincerely apologize for any instance where a customer is not completely satisfied with a PODS experience. When a customer notifies our company of a less than satisfactory experience, we endeavor to review the processes that gave rise to the customer feedback and take appropriate measures to address their comments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (727) 538-6332 with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Arlene Vogt
    Incident Resolution Administrator

• Su
      24th of Mar, 2009

Let me clearly state the facts about my claim:

1. This claim was initially denied. I have an email and a formal letter which were sent stating that "no physical damage to the Pod was found" even after I sent over 200 pictures as proof per the request of your representatives.

2. This claim was re -opened only after people started to comment regarding my experience on various websites that detailed this incident along with pictures documenting the damage to the POD.

3. Although there was a $1000.00 offer made a few days after the re-opening of this claim, due to the amount of damage sustained, I did not feel that it was an earnest offer. I have been trying to act in a fair manner. I did not claim all damages incurred, time spent cleaning, washing, repairing etc., nor did I ask for current market value of my collectables, only the original purchase price. I had many collectibles in mint condition in original boxes that are over forty years old. Just for the fact that the two beds I lost cost over $4000.00 alone seemed reason enough to decline this offer.

4. When the damage was reported on January 19, 2009, I aksed, then begged for an adjuster to be sent out to assess the damages while the Pod in question was still on my property. I called four times in as many days and each and every time I was assured that adjusters are not ever sent out as PODS would just pay the claim. The process was explained that I would receive a form to fill out, submit it back to the analysts and that was all that was required to be reimbursed for personal property damages.

5. I was repeatedly informed that I should not keep any of the damaged items because no adjuster would be sent out. To me, this seemed illogical to dispose of any evidence that would substantiate my losses. Yesterday on 3/23/2009 an adjuster was sent to my home, three months after the fact, to view all items listed on my claim form. Lucky for me I retained almost all the items against the advice of PODS representatives. I had to dispose of a set of feather pillows as they were badly molded and posed a health threat even after being cleaned. I also had to dispose of a metal train set from the late 50's because the pieces were so rusted that none of the local hobby shops felt that restoration was possible. However, I have pictures of these items prior to disposal.

It is a shame that I have continually been misinformed and ill-advised by PODS repsresentatives concerning this claim. Advice to others who are reading this; Should you consider using PODS please make sure to do the following to protect your property:

1. Inspect the POD before packing. Make sure that it is in good condition and that the roof is properly secured in place and that the door functions properly.

2. Take pictures of your items before packing, then samples of how items were packed and then pictures of how your POD was packed with items/boxes secured properly inside the POD. Make sure to use straps, ropes or plywood to provide stability during transit.

3. Should dany damage to POD or items be discovered, notify PODS immediately and document all phone calls, times, dates, representative names and brief descritption of discussion content. Recording the phone call would be best as PODS states that they record all their calls for training purposes.

3. Take clear pictures and video to document and substantiate your losses.

4. Do not ever get rid of your damaged items. Safely store them for future reference until your claim is settled.

-Susan Salsbury

• Ca
      4th of Jan, 2017

I can certainly identify with all who have commented on PODS customer service reps. The CSR's I have encountered are not customer service oriented, not in the least. When I researched the cost and whether their service would meet my needs I did so over a period of a few days - I asked questions online via chat, I telephoned a few times asking clarification etc. Once I felt I had sufficient information I went ahead with the online order of a pod and elected to add the $5, 000 contents insurance. I had spoken with a young man at one point and he had encouraged me to insure the contents stating that most likely I would not need the insurance but better safe than sorry or something like that. I asked what the insurance would cover and he just kept stating that I was insuring the contents against any type of incident. I asked if they had many problems with theft in our area and I was told they had not had problems and that of course I should always lock the container to be safe at all times, "preventing any sort of incident." I took that to mean I was insuring the contents for theft. Wrong Wrong Wrong. The Pod was broken into and we have video of the entire theft. I called to file a claim and was informed I had no theft insurance -- the insurance I had purchased was in case lightening struck or a huge tree were to fall on the pod - or it were to flood and incur water damage. I explained my previous conversations and the representative advised me to look at the insurance contract. When I reviewed documents after the order the insurance contract was not initially available and certainly was not attached to the initial contract. Even with the rep telling me to look for the contract in "documents" this contract was not readily available and did not popup at all. However when I finally did get the contract to come up and printed the two pages of tiny tiny print I quickly learned I had just been duped this whole experience felt like the scene from the Wizard of Oz -- "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Yeah, right... Boy oh boy - that contract covers the PODS company's butts in entirety. There is a paragraph that basically says that while our reps may have talked to you about insurance we are not an insurance company and they are not insurance agents. Our employees did not promise or sell insurance and blah blah blah -- totally covering the company and "agents." It's actually a whole lot of nonsense. I know legally they have it covered but they ARE encouraging individuals to take out insurance in case of any type of "incident." I was assured this would cover me. I told the young man of my previous contact with PODS and at this point I told him I was not happy with being sold insurance I would not have agreed to had I been informed truthfully of what i was covering. I asked for my insurance money back and of course I was told an incident (they love that word) claim would be filed and someone will get back to me within 3 to 5 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one sold insurance they did not need. I have NO trees anywhere near my home. Lightning striking? Serious? What are the chances in Sacramento, CA? Flooding? Ah, no -- I don't live in an area that would flood. I maintain that I would NOT have paid for the insurance if the CSR would have been truthful. However, from my recent attempts to communicate with PODS I really am starting to wonder if the reps even know anything about what they are selling. I really don't feel they are adequately trained. I would like the insurance money back. I have no problem paying for the pod. But the insurance is a scam - or at least for me it was.