ortho white / free trial is not free-scam

United States, Colorado, Boulder Review updated:
5300 Ontario Mills Pkwy
Phone: 1800 592-0593
I signed up for a 'free trial' agreeing to pay $2.87 for shipping charges to try Ortho white through a third party survey/prize award. Yes, I thought if I got through the survey I would get a free apple computer. Not! The third party made it clear I had to purchase 5 products...which after looking at it didn't amt to much...Being retired, having time, I thought why not. Well now I know why not. I didn't make it through the maze for the free apple but thought the Ortho offer for $2.87 was worth a try.
Much to my surprise, I got my free trial from Ortho along with a charge of $78.41 to my credit as well as the $2.87.

A confirmation e-mail which informed me of the order, my name & address, shipping address, product, charges of $2.87<br />
etc. from Ortho did arrive. They cleaverly confirm all the shipping billing date and..once I saw that $2.87 was charged to my credit, I did not think any careful scrutiny of the fine print was required which is at the bottom of the e-mail.
I called Ortho..but was told that I had only 6 days to cancel..and so I was too late. After great protest the operator agreed to give me a $45 credit. I am not happy..$35 for a 'free trial' is outrageous. I've written to customer service and we'll see what they do.

N  15th of Jul, 2009 by
Me too! Read my post on this...Something should be done about the fine print and misleading ads!
N  20th of Jul, 2009 by
I recently read an article about free trial
The only thing we can do about it is educate the masses, according to the article you were really lucky to get some of your money back.

A  20th of Jul, 2009 by
Hello, Another Victim of OrthoWhite...
I ordered the "ortho White"...HAHAHAHA...What a joke!!! I was charged a $1.00...the product showed up...I've never used in...My acct# was charged on the the 13th of July...then this weekend, my husband went out of town...I assumed that he had used his debut card at the Gas station & that they put a hold on it...On the 20th the charge came thru...$78.41...for OrthWhite. I called the Comp. & was informed that I had taken out a membership...I was shocked over that...Then the biggest issue came up...I had signed up for this product on the 9th...so I had failed to tell them to cancel sooner...How was I suppose to cancel something when I did not know I was a member????? The little girl on the phone kept going on & on...about how I had not cancelled in time...Geeez...are you kidding me???...I've been trying to get a hold of the bank all day...I dread the mere thought of having to tell my husband...He doesn't even have a job right now...I did this, for my daughters b-day...not even for me...I thought, she likes this stuff ...what a cool, cheap way for her to whiten her teeth...
Now, I'm in a world of trouble...These people need to be held accountable for their actions. This is nothing, but 1 big SCAM... Thanks!! for letting me vent...
N  21st of Jul, 2009 by
I just had the same thing happen to me. They told me I had 10 days before I had to cancel. I called and they said they make NO exceptions to their rules. I wish I had read these complaints before they sucked me in. I'm a stay at home mom with two kids and I'm disabled...they didn't seem to care at all. They have my money and that's all they care about.
A  30th of Jul, 2009 by
I completely agree with all the above notes-orthowhite should not be in business. Im going to contact the Better Business Bureau because I tried to call to cncl within the limit and they said its 8 dys from time i order. But I didnt get it in enough time to try it!Not even the supervisor would try to help. They just dont care. The first rep hung up on me and I agree they are just out for money.
A  30th of Jul, 2009 by
Oh and another thing-i DID cancel within 8days and they wouldnt refund me-these people should be out of business stealing money when we are all in shambles to begin with!!
N  3rd of Aug, 2009 by
What a joke! This is just a big scam! Their ad says free sample for the cost of shipping and handling. I thought what a deal...$1.00 to try this product. Should have known, something that sounds too good to be true, usually is! Now I have a charge of $78.41 on my account for a product I haven't even tried yet. I asked if I could return it unopened for a credit and was told no because it is past the 8 day trial period! I plan on contacting the Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint. Wish I had seen these other posts before I was scammed! Buyers beware. . .
D  17th of Aug, 2009 by

Like every one above I also fell for the scam. I ordered the free sample with the shipping cost of $1.00 and to my surprise I was charged $78.41 eight days later . I also called them and argued my case. The Orthowhite Rep agreed to only credit my account for $45.00. According to her that is the best she can do. I even told her I was on vacation and I have not open the product. The product is in the box they have shipped me and I offered to return it for the full refund and she said no I can not return the product for the full refund after the trial period I am very angry and disappointed. I should have read the comments on the internet before I placed the order with them, We live and we learn !!
A  18th of Aug, 2009 by
Ortho White is AWFUL! The worst customer service ever! I agree with everyone on here! They trick people into trying their product then when 8 days is up they charge to the $78 for nothing at all! If I would of just cancelled and not continued my business with them I would of only paid about $1 but since I waits I ended up paying $80.00 for a free trial! How is that even fair? $80 wow! OrthoWhite is the worst company EVER!! Both ladies that I talked to were very RUDE and not helpful! They could careless what the customer has to say! They just want you to give up and hang out and not continue business with them because they already made $80 bucks off everyone so they don't need to keep customers!!! AWFUL! Very upset!! Talked to supervisor after I asked for a supervisor 4 times and she gave me $45 dollars back but still how is that even fair!!! I haven't even had time to open or try the product! maybe if it would of worked they would have returning customers but they don't want our business cause they have our $80! The ladies made it clear it was all my fault and that I agreed to let them charge my account the $78!!! NO ONE COULD EVER AGREE TO THAT AFTER 8 DAYS OF A PRODUCT!!!
A  19th of Aug, 2009 by
orthowhite and dazzle white product companies are both a scam they are tricking customers with the old bait and switch technique by offering free trials but no where in the free trial sign up page there's a notice telling you that you are enrolled in a membership so cancel your order within 7 to 14 days or you will be given them an open line of cridit to your account so they can charge whatever they want and your fanacial institution will not help you in this matter, So please people be ware of these looser companies.they, re are bunch of aholes and the customer service stinks
A  25th of Aug, 2009 by
Ortho white, is a scam. I am surprised they are even on this board trying to justify their scam.

Anyhow, please remember to contact the Attorney General and well as the FTC. They will help us consumer to put a stop to Ortha White..

I am in the process of starting a Class Action Law Suit Against 'Ortho White'/www.dazzlesmilenow.com with my attorney. To get information on the Law Suite please email::: therapy390@yahoo.com.

Good luck Ortho White. I am sure they are not aware who they scammed when they charged me.
D  11th of Sep, 2009 by
You people are dumb for thinking you were getting a deal. Nothing is free in this world and the internet caters to stupid people that willingly give out their credit cards on the internet. You all deserve to have your money taken. In fact, since your dumb enough to get scammed by this gimmick I think everybody should send me there CC number, exp date, billing address, phone number, and 3 digit code on the back. I'll sign you up for a FREE credit protection program!

A  16th of Sep, 2009 by
Well here is another sucker. I was told had 14 days to cancel, lie. I cancelled and it still was charged to checking account. Wish I had seen this site sooner

Mobile, Al
A  18th of Sep, 2009 by
I also saw 'free trial" offer for orthowhite on the computer. Clicked it said I'd pay a $2 dollar and something shipping fee...next thing I know I see its going to cost $78.oo and something so I NEVER okd the credit card transaction but low and behold 2 days later I get it in the mail. So I call them up and send it back the VERY nexy day in the same box! Cost me over $8 dollars to send it back. what a scam!!
A  19th of Sep, 2009 by
I hate to admit I fell for this too. I am plenty old enough to know better! What they do may not be illegal but it is certainly immoral! Tell someone they are getting a 'free trial' and then burying the actual facts of what their scam is in the 'terms and conditions' is exactly what they intend it to be - a sure way to part us suckers from our money. Guess we better start reading terms and conditions before ordering anything 'free'.
A  21st of Sep, 2009 by
Ya, I fell for it too. They told me that this offer was for a free "trial" (of 14 days, in fine print) not a free "sample." Total BS. I did not even question this as anything but a free sample considering that companies do it all the time to encourage new customers and build customer loyalty, especially in this economy. After ripping me off, I will never, ever, use their product and I will discourage all who will listen to me.

At least, if you call they will "make an exeption" and refund $45. I guess the $30 charge is just for being a sucker. I will definitely put in a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - everyone should do the same.

Oh, and I love the post just before mine apologizing for the "inconvenience"...Orthowhite essentially just stole money directly out of my bank account, which is a great deal more than an inconvenience. Contrary to the statement above that we can receive a full refund within 60 days, the customer service rep said I could not return the unused product because the 14-day trial period had elapsed. So, which is it?

It sounds like many of the people posting comments are elderly and on fixed incomes. Orthowhite should be ashamed of their unethical practices. They must know (as any reasonable person does) that this population, above all, cannot afford to be paying such a high price for nonessentials such as teeth whitener!
N  29th of Sep, 2009 by
I was ripped of too by OthoWhite. The same story as above but I didnt recieve the trail kit nor the two additional ones to give to friends and family. The customer service rep. refused to listen to me and refused to refund my money. I didnt authorize the charge of $87.41 for the complete program.

BE WARE of OthorWhite. Dont use them.
N  29th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I ordered a trial kit by agreeing to pay the shipping only. On August 25, 2009 you billed my credit card $78.41 for the full 30 day tooth whitening Complete Program. I received only one kit for the complete program. But I did not get the two (2) more syringes of professional-level dental syringe of OrthoWhite whitening solution to share with Friends and Family. Also, I did not receive the free one week trial of OrthoWhite™.
Again, I did not order the complete program - I only wanted the trial kit.
Please refund my card the amount of $78.41 right away. Otherwise, send me the free trail kit and the two (2) promised free kits to share with friends and family.
A  13th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I alsop tried the trial period and was charged like everyone else 78.41 I DID NOT AGREE to that I recieved only trial kit which appearently cost me 78.41 not 1.00 liuke stated refund my money I will tell everyone i know and more what a scam this is.
A  13th of Oct, 2009 by
:) i just ordered it yesterday, someone called me and she explained me a lot stuff that I didnt get, she was trying to confirm my address and other things, but didnt listen to me when I told her I wanted to cancel my order, she was like "Oh Im not customer service!, try to call em" and gave me this huge number haha, I called customer service and nobody answered, it said they were opened from 8 am to 5pm when their website says For Customer Assistance please call: 1-800-592-0593
24 Hours / 7 Days a Week, they will go to hell in the second coming...