New England Classic Car Co. / Deceptive practice

1 1483 Stratford Ave.Stratford, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 203-377-6746

Original estimate to restore a 62 TR3 was mid $20, 000.00 Ended up at $31, 000.00 plus. Supposed to get all leftover spare parts. Used 2 tr3's to complete one restored TR3. Left overs included engine, trans, hard top wire wheels all dash instruments and lots more. When I asked them to be shipped to me I was told they were all junk except I was told the hard top was sold for $500.00 and applied to car. Hard top actual value $1000.00 to 1500.00 per NE Classics. Original owners denied spare parts were junk. When car was delivered differential leaked oil. Rt rear brake leaked fluid. Short in electrical system. Wipers, tail lights turn signals brake lites all inop. Rt front tire flat. No heater. Just a big empty space behind the dash. other items missing. Nicks and scratches in paint too numerous to count. But the best is the license plate lite. They used one from a different year and model. It didn't fit so they bolted a piece of metal to the trunk and bolted the light to it. Any time I asked a question they didn't like they hung up on me. Buyer BEWARE!!!

Comments

• Wa
      15th of Jan, 2009

Hi,

I'm from CT and was looking for a MG a few months back, and saw New England Classic Car Co. on the net. All the cars look super nice and the descriptions make them sound like some of the best examples of these cars around. So, I decided to take the hour and half drive to the showroom to take a look in person.

First, I open the door and I was confronted a whole room of British classic cars, almost bumper to bumper. From the doorway I found myself saying "Wow, these are some nice cars". Then I walked in and got closer to them and realized that they were not as good as my first impression. I can see that most of them were slapped together and the paint/interiors on almost all of them were not up to the standards that the asking prices demanded.

The closet I looked, the more I was thinking "What is this guy smoking?"

He starts telling me how he sells cars all over the country and world, and how the cars dont stay for long because he sells them so fast... He was trying to "Wow" me with his stories of the people from Japan who bought this so-and-so car.. yadda yadda yadda. I was then thinking "Yeah, if I was all the way in Japan and going buy your photos and descriptions, then I would probably buy one too... but if they ever saw what they were getting..."

Then he takes me to the workshop... which is basically a glorified basement. The cars down there were so packed in, I could hardly walk through the place without sucking in my gut... and I'm not a heavy guy. He starts showing me cars in progress... Oh my God... what a nightmare. There were a bunch of young guys going at the old cars like spider monkeys on drugs with hammers in their hands. Total hack job, everywhere I looked.

He takes me over to a red TR3 that he said he was working on for a customer and just came back from paint. What a total hack job, they never removed any trim, moldings or rubber like a real restoration shop would of. There was over spray on the chrome, glass and even on the leather of the interior. It looked like a $200 Macco job... for real. (I wonder if this was the person's TR3 who posted the complaint?)

He was showing me MGA's that he was asking anywhere from $25, 000-$28, 000... I seen better for half that amount. He showed me some MG TD's that he was asking double for what they were worth.

Shortly there after I walked out of there with never a look back. I was going to write something, somewhere, and came upon this site and this gentleman's complaint... and figured here is as good as any.

This place is a joke.. hacked cars, their "shop" looks like a chop-shop. The people working on the cars were total hacks and the cars in the place were waaaayyy over priced. I totally believe this complaint and you should too.

Stay away from this place !

• Fr
      17th of Jan, 2009

Believe the complaints. Sleazebag operation charging twice what cars are worth, and delivering half of what you expect. Cheap paint jobs. Severely flawed mechanics that cost thousands to set right. Black interiors spray painted tan. Cars listed on the website that they don't own - bait and switch. And having sold a car to them only to read outrageous lies about its provenance and condition when listed on their website, I can tell you that it is all intentional. It's all rather appalling.

19th of Jan, 2009

Let's hope that this depression flushes all rip off artists, scamsters, and sleazebags down the toilet. This is one of those operations that deserves to get flushed. I've had my experience with this company, and of course it was poor. Personally, I think the owner has a very flawed sense of morality and ethics. During my dealings with them, they used absolutely every sleazy used car salesman trick in the book. It was a throwback to a GM dealership in the 70s. If you want a nice sports car, look to a reputable dealer. If you want an overpriced hack job, do business with these ###s.

PS- don't be deceived by their website. They do NOT have all of those cars in stock. The better ones were sold long ago. Can you say bait and switch? SOP with these turds.

Also, don't believe their ads in Hemmings Motor News. Same deal. Someone should report them to Hemmings. Perhaps I will do that next.

PPS - I see that on the new website they've done away with their long winded explanation about how "no rust" means "no rust holes, " "Rebuilt engine" means musta been rebuilt at some point since the car was new because it still runs - barely, and "show condition" means showing it off at the local firehouse, not a real car show. Instead, read the legal disclaimer carefully. Now, they're not responsible for any factual error, which means you can't believe a ###ing thing this guy says on his website.

19th of Jan, 2009

Marc Evans is a short, fat pompous ### of a man who rips people off like any good used car salesman should and who glories in his minor league racing exploits in the hopes of getting some strange from time to time. He's a ###ing rip off thief. And Marc - if you read this, ### YOU ###. Your mother should have aborted you, troll.

• Wa
      20th of Jan, 2009
    Best Best Advice +8 Votes

I would like to follow up and say that what the previous person said is true.

Almost all the MGBs I went to go look at, that were shown on their website, were "sold" long ago... If they even had them to begin with. And they now have a new website and they are still listing those same MGB's that were supposedly sold. Total bait and switch. Its funny that the ones that were "sold" looked so nice, but the ones he then directs you to are total pieces of garbage.

Again, stay away from this place.. your better off looking for a classic British car thru local clubs or even craigslist.

P.S. I think I might just send a complaint to Hemmings as well, they should know what a scam this place is and they should not be associated with them.

20th of Jan, 2009

Write to this fellow at Hemmings Motor News to complain about New England Classic Car Company's deceptive advertising in that publication:

mbrott@hemmings.com

• Ra
      15th of Feb, 2009

I am facing some real issues with these guys and am looking to get out of the deal we are engaged in...I am overseas and would appreciate any help or advice...

HELP !

• Ia
      18th of Feb, 2009

I agree with all of the comments from other parties. I can only blame myself for being 56 and still buying based on emotion rather than common sense and research but never the less the owner is a ###.
    I overpaid for the car, allowed myself to be talked into a host of extras that would "make the car more reliable", was screamed at when I tried to back out of the deal (hefty deposit already parted with), promised 3 different times that the car would be ready in a few days on and on.
    I love the car, luckily it is reasonably sound and I can fix some of the shoddy work done.
    BUT I feel a complete fool for letting this guy con me and letting myself believe his pompous nonsense abot 100% customer satisfaction.
    I am so happy to see I have company and was not the only one taken in by this weasel.
    Ian

• Ca
      13th of Aug, 2009

Here's my story.I have been looking for a 1965 MGB for some time and Marc Evans had one that wasn't too pricey and needed the interior torn out. The pics looked o.k. I got lazy because it was the middle of the winter and I didn't have the time to get to Connecticut so I made a mistake and bought the car based on the representations on the web about the car and the pics and had them rip out the interior and do some front end work. We got into a pissing match over the cost of the work which was overbilled and beyond the estimate but we worked that out. I was pumped to get the car delivered when it was ready. I had waited 34 years to own one of these cars so I was excited. The car was from New Mexico with no rust. The underside was good and the floors were mint as shown in progress photos. I asked before I got the car if there was anything wrong with the car and told that, " the car runs perfectly drove wonderfully and everything worked properly...no issues". So when I get home from work the car is in my garage in Illinois and I can see on first observation that this car has been seriously misrepresented and not what is shown in the photos. Got to say the interior was done beautifully but the rest was not good. The top which was said to be" pretty good" had three holes in it that were obvious. The left front headlight rim was missing, the doors didn't lock, a piece of the left door handle was cracked off but worked, the doors were way off of alignment, the right turn signal did not flash, the left turn signal worked but did not go off after turning, the were two spots of rust on the passenger door. When I started it the accelerator cable was stuck and the car idled at 3500 rpms making it dangerous to drive, the exhaust was hanging dangerously low and did not have the proper bracketing on it. There is a short in the electrical system draining the battery which I had to replace right away. The fuel pump went, the tonneau did not match the car and I got no manual for the new stereo etc.Worst of all the car has bondo on the rear tire wells so they will have to be replaced. Lessoned learned is you got to see the car before buying it but this guy preys on people buying these cars from far away and seriously misrepresents their condition and uses deceptive practices. He couldn't be more of a pompous jerk as well. I have taken the matter up with the Ct. Dept. of Consumer Services and filed a complaint against him as well as with the Ct. Better Business Bureau, I wouldnt trust this guy as far as I could throw an MGB. He is real dishonest and won't make good on anything. His response to me on these issues is always"what did you want for a $7500 MGB" What I wanted was honesty on advertising and no deceptive practices, Marc. Good luck to all that deal with him. I am considering hiring an attorney to deal with this mess in Court. We will see whether this guy has any integrity and will step up and correct these issues. I am not holding my breath. I would stay away from this guy. Jeff

• Di
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I'm just sooooo glad to read the truth about this guy before I wasted a 5 hour drive to his place of business. Won't go there ! ! ! Does anyone have any dealing with or opinion of Wilson Motor Company in Missouri, also a dealer in old Triumphs, mainly. They claim to have been in business since 1934.

13th of Oct, 2009

Marc Evans is a ###, pure and simple. He is a pathological liar, a troll, and a piece of ###.

13th of Oct, 2009

Time to send a pictoral message to Marc Evans the eunuch ###. ### you, Marc.

Dear Marc Evans:

You vulgar little maggot.

You are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a slug than be seen with you. You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beast who sired you and then killed himself in recognition of what he had done. Your daddy was a ###, your mamma was a whore, and you wouldn't be here if the rubber hadn't tore. I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you.

You have all the appeal of a booger. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your ignoble blood.

May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite, foolish beliefs. You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Sheep won't have sex with you; you can only ### trash whores such as yourself.

You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot.
    And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile, one-handed, slack-jawed, drooling, meatslapper. On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool.

You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of a used condom. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go. You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry pisshead cockup pratting naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have toe jam. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you, and I wish you would go away forever.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid, so stupid it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me.

• Bi
      24th of Oct, 2009

I've attached a photo of the 'rust free' $16, 500 1973 MGB roadster that I purchased last month from Marc Evans at New England Classic Car Company. I relied on his representations and the photos posted of this car on the web. Upon the car being shipped here, I examined it carefully and found a bondo crease in a rocker panel. Further investigation revealed that both rocker panels had been stuffed with chickenwire, newspaper, and bondo. The photo shows how one of the sills looked after we stripped it down. The other sill was the same. Since an MGB is a monocoque unibody, the rotten state of these sills renders the car unroadworthy - which means that Marc Evans charged me a premium price for an unsafe automobile.

His response? "How was I supposed to know? I drove it 90 miles back to our shop and it didn't miss a beat. I didn't put it on a lift to look at it - we don't even have a lift here" and "I don't feel like I have any responsibility here at all. I drove this car 90 miles back to our shop and it seemed fine. I don't examine the cars I bring in here. If a seller says that the car's OK, and if I drive iot 90 miles and it works fine, then I sell it."

In conclusion: Marc Evans is a liar and a thief. You do business with him at your own risk. He will rip you off, and he will lie to you even if he doesn't have to. What a ###ing ###.

24th of Oct, 2009

I'm attaching to my profile a photo of the 'pristine, unrestored' Austin Healy 100/6 Marc Evans sold to me last year. Imagine my surprise when this wreck was wenched off of the car trailer in the front of my house. Complete misrepresentation. I can't comment further because this matter is in litigation except to say BUYER BEWARE.

• Mk
      6th of Nov, 2009

I dated him, what a mistake...you guys are so right!

• Gw
      17th of Nov, 2009

Many thanks to all for taking the time to alert the rest of us to your experiences with this dealer. I had been looking at NECC on the web and they "appeared" to have better inventory than Merit or Gullwing, and perhaps about the same as Wilson, for the TRs, AHs, MGs, and Morgans I've been salivating over. Guess I'll go the club route. As for you, ### Evans, your third post was a hoot and I hope you're feeling better.

• Mc
      30th of Nov, 2009

I'm so glad I've been stopped buying the Ginetta G4 Evans has on offer!!! Thank you all very much for warning me.
    I'd like to buy a nice MG A, TR3 or Morgan in the States - any idea from which dealer I'd not be [censor]###ed?
    markustanner@bluewin.ch

• Bo
      3rd of Jun, 2010

I read all of these e mails and was shocked.I used to work at this company (for seven years) and NEVER saw any of the crap that is mentioned. The owner simply bought and sold cars, took cars on consignment, and ALWAYS had the mechanical staff thoroughly prepare cars prior to delivery.

These crazies on this sight seem to think that 'we' (when I worked there) had X ray vision. I can't begin to tell you how many cars WE purchased that when examined, had ill fitting pistons, incorrect bearings, maladjusted gears, and hacked up wiring. ALL of which was corrected prior to sale and delivery.

When I came across this site, I asked the owner what he thought about these comments. And he told me this: "go check us out on eBay...100% positive reviews. Now, how can we have 'cheated so many' customers off ebay yet have such a uniformly happy clientele on ebay? Do the paranoid think we reserve out best cars for one form of sale and keep the rest of another means?'

He told me to go on the company site and read the testimonials. He even showed me the original letters. He must have a hundred...buyers who were very happy with the cars they bought. I was about to write 'the product'' but, after all, this company doesn't create cars. They simply do their best to find good examples, prepare the car in a reasonable manner, and do their best to advertise and sell them.

It is a very difficult business...the buying and selling of relatively inexpensive, 50 year old classics that weren't typically of a very high quality when new. We, in the business, know of the term "Lucas, prince of darkness." I think some of these misguided people think we used to sell old cars mounted on new Honda or Nissan chassis...look 'old' but perform with the reliability of a new car. Now, in three years, and forever.

These nut jobs on this site must think that this company creates the cars we sold. Starts with some sheet metal, throws on some rust, tangles up some wires, and then throws it all together just to screw buyers. In fact, MOST of the cars I ever saw come into the showroom were restored by others. And IF a car came in had perfect compression, perfect oil pressure, didn't smoke, gearbox was quiet, tracked straight, no visible rust, all electrics working (right turn signal, left turn signal, brake lights...my god, I must have down that routine on two hundred cars), and if the papers were in order, and it drove well (I along with other mechanics drove these cars and tested them through a six miles 'loop' we used as our test circuit)...the cars went into the showroom.

I don't know some of the people who complained but I did meet that Zwicker guy. Who told us he was in no hurry as he had lost his license due to multiple DUIs. Some source of comments! A guy who couldn't even drive legally.

When reading through the many letters of favorable comments and testimonials we got, I particularly liked the guy from NH who bought an old Triumph sight unseen, drove down a few days later, hopped in and drove 254 miles back to his home. His letter started with 'complaints are best made in private but good things should be made public.' I suspect that many of these comments were made by ill informed people who need someone to blame for their purchase not meeting their high (and probably unreachable) expectations. After all, these are just old toys. Capable of having a problem at any moment.

When in the shop, I talked to the current employees, some of whom I have known for years. All are good guys, they do quality work, and the owner generally lets them have their way in getting cars done properly. I am working in a different industry now but really miss the days I had working on these fantastic cars.

I never ever once saw the owner tell a prospective buyer he could not check out a car, have someone else test or check out a car, crawl underneath with a flashlight, do a compression test, or lift up carpets and look for those evil rust worms. So if these nut jobs on this site think we (as a staff) had some kind of mystical method of hiding things, boy, they are more paranoid that I ever would have guessed.

What I thought was the silliest thing in these complaints (many from people who were never customers) is that they think 'we' are a part of what we sell. As in 'do you STAND behind the cars?' How dumb can they be. Stand behind what? In the world of ancient cars, it is purely buyer beware, work out the bugs, enjoy the good and leave the bad behind, and enjoy a nice drive on a sunny day in the country. Until I read this, I only suspected that some of our customers were cracked. But now I know.

B

• Zw
      22nd of Jun, 2010

regarding the support for NE Classics from "B' I am that guy Zwicker and I did NOT recieve multiple DUIs as you purport. I recieved one out of state dui and in illinois that is an automatic one year suspension. It was a stupid mistake I will always regret and have been 100% dry since recieving the citation in Aug of 2007. Non of this has any significance since my complaint with NE Classics was total misrepresentation. I was told the car was RUST FREE!!! it is a 1960 tr3 and arrived with two slabs of plywood for a floor.. After spending 32, 000 dollars is it too much to expect the turn signals, brake lites, horn and windshield wipers to work? Isn't that something you pros in the shop are supposed to check out before you ship a car? That safety items are functional?????tPart of the frame was missing...MISSING!!!
    A hard top and wire wheels mysteriously disappear.
    two pieces of trim that sell for $30.00 at the Roadster factory and go above the rocker panels were missing...You would think in restoring an automobile you would at least replace rotten bushings for Gosh sake It arrived with a leaking main seal and leaking brake cylinder and I still have a 2x8 for a battery box. And you have the nerve to suggest I should be happy with my $32, 000 piece of junk and drive off into the sunset????? The man is a liar and a thief and if there are any good revues on e-bay he wrote them himself. Along with everything else oh master Mechanic I had to have the carbs rebuilt and had to replace parts that were totally missing. When this piece of crap arrived it would not start or run!!! Oh yess, there is the matter of body damage that occurred after it was painted. My guess it fell off a jack stand or was lowered onto something. I should also mention the high degree of workmanship that went into affixing the wrong license plate light. You master mechanics really went out of your way bolting a 1/4 inch slab of metal to the car and then bolting the light to it. Real professional