nco financial systems / Fraudulent debt

NCO Financial Systems
507 Prudentail Rd
Phone: 800-477-1827
Received a collection letter yesterday for the amount of $79.35. I called the number on the letter to inquire about this mysterious debt. I was informed that in 1998 there was a debt left owed with Baltimore Gas and Electric. This disturbed me so I called this company. Baltimore Gas and Electric informed me that they have no record of me in their system. This is the first I have heard of this false debt and I believe this is a scam. I have built a home and purchased multiple cars within the last ten years and have never seen this debt on a credit report. What can I do to rectify this situation?

A  19th of Aug, 2009 by
This company is even trying to harass one of our employees - they sent a letter to our office asking to verify employment and wanted our full company details. Not a chance - employee information is confidential I don't care what Business Practices & Consumer protection act section you quote. When I called my employee to ask if he knew about this - he said it was from an extremely old medical bill. So it looks like they do indeed pick up old debts and try to collect on them. The letter came from their office in from Surrey, BC Canada and they use 1-866-579-5912 as their phone number.