Mobilecom / iphone 4 for $999

1 566 fashion avenue, New York, NY, United States Review updated:

The company is totally a cheater and robber.
It sold me Iphone 4 with $999 and $75 unlocked fee for unlocked mobile.
I was to buy two phones. The promised to give me a discount for $1148 of tax free. But they charged me trice with additional $1200. so total $2348 for two iphones.
When I argue with them and try to return the mobiles, they called one police. I don't know the police come from. But the police insisted that according to the rule defined by their company, they don't accept return and refund. what a bull-###.
When I argued with them, they even threated me that keep away from their office. Otherwise they will hit me.
I cannot believe this is really happened in New York.
And please you keep away from this company. They not only cheated but also a robber.
Can anyone help to ask for the return? I have the receipt which shows what transaction is done.

Comments

• Pa
      24th of Dec, 2010
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

I 100% agree with this. Mobilecom (566 Fashion Av, NY) is a BIG CHEATER and FRAUD company. I also bought 2 iphone (3GS-$350 and iphone 4-$500), but I ended up by paying $1400.00. These buggers told that they charged me $350 for itune credit. There are 2 guys both are BIG LIAR. I would request everyone to just away from these people. They argued with me for 30 minutes and almost came to fight. They are simply looting people around times square.

• Hu
      12th of Nov, 2011

I totally agree with you. The MOBILECOM is a nasty cheater and liar!!! I had the same horrible experiences. I just wonder how NY administration authority just let it happen. I write to NY Consumer Protection Organization, NY State Tax and Finance Department, NY Tourrism Authority, NY Chamber of Commerce, etc, to disclose its crime!!! WE MUST FIGHT TO DEFEND OUR INTEREST!!!
    See my email to those department.
    I just come back from Authorized Apple shop in Beijing. Apple engineer told me that the machine your company sold to me is 100% operator-bundled phone, which is locked and cannot be used in China.
    Now all the evidence shows that your retail store has done or possiblly done
    1.Price fraud
    2.Selling defective product
    3.Cheating customers
    4.Violation of NY state tax, business tax & corporate income tax
    5.I will also write to NY Labor Department because I donot believe the sales behaviour belongs to an American. Under such high umemployment rate, your company should offer working opportunities to American and legal immigrants with working permit. Maybe I am wrong, your sales boy is American citizen. However, American citizen does not equal to a real American. The former is an ID/certification, if people can invest $0.5M to $1M, they can get it. The latter means a lot more...

Your sales boy even took away the sim card container track and cover to cover his crime. Furthermore, the product information on the package box Vs the information on the phone are totally different!!! I took picktures to show you. All these evidence shows that the only purpose of your sales boy is to cheat and lie.

I also contact my card issued bank and share with them my experiences. I am VIP customers of major Chinese banks and I will talk to every account manager at each bank. I will pay whatever it cost to make MOBILECOM shortlised in those bank credit record. I just gave them a proposal. For companies like yours, Banks should send SMS to remind risks when they identify their cardholder to swipe their card at your store!

I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCES OF YOUR COMPANY STORE'S BEHAVIOUR FROM SELLING DRUGS!!!

I HOPE THAT YOUR SALES PEOPLE COULD SLEEP WELL AND ENJOY THE DIRTY MONEY EARNED!

I am eager to see
    1.How your company will react to such an indecent deal
    2.How the consumer pretection organization in the US will do to pretect consumers, even for foreign consumers like me
    3.How the US tax authority could surpervise the business operation and provide fair treatment to all tax payers
    4.How the NY travel authority fulfill their commitment in their advertisement, NY as a shopping and sightsee paradise
    5.How the industry association regulate the behaviour of its members
    6.How the local authority can make sure all the service provider (such as your sales boy) are qualified to work or legal to work
    I would like to say, I have a wonderful trip to the US last week. But your store has destroyed the whole thing.
    Have a good day!
    Regards

From
    To: [protected]@nycgo.com; [protected]@nycgo.com; [protected]@nycgo.com; [protected]@nycgo.com
    Subject: It gives a bad name to NY tourism industry
    Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:50:23 +0800

To whom it may concern
    Nowaday, more and more Chinese people go to NY for tourism, sightseeing and shopping. I am just one of them. We have wonderful experiences at the U.S. and NY, for the great historical interests, beautiful scenary, world class commidities, and most of all, nice and kind American people.
    Sometimes a tiny bad thing will screw up the whole effort and achievement. Mobile Com is one of them.
    Hope that someone could put pressue on regulating the indecent behaviours of these retailers. If this kind of things happen again and again, people will loose trust to American retailers which is the most valuable asset of US tourism.
    The root cause for me to have this experience is that I trust those people very much. People told me, " you donot need to worry when you go shopping in the US because they have the most strict regulation to pretect consumers and the safest shopping environment."
    I really cannot believe my horrible experience happened in Manhattan, the heart of NY city!!!

Hope someone can do something to stop this...

Thanks and regards

From:
    To: [protected]@chamber.com
    Subject: It gives a bad name to NY retail business.
    Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:26:32 +0800

To whom it may concern,
    Mobile Com's behaviour has possible violation on pricing fraud, NY state tax, etc.
    I am writing this email to see whether the Chamber of Commerce could help govern the behaviours of its members or business entities uner the NY region, for the sake of a fair and clean business environment.
    Thanks

From:
    To: [protected]@nysdta.org
    Subject: Cheating on Tax
    Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:15:15 +0800

Dear Sir
    I am writing this email to report a possible offense of NY State taxation regulation.

Case Details
    1.The offender information: MOBILECOM 566 7TH AVE, NEW YORK, NY 10018, MERCHANTID: 028100176777.
    2.The offender's behaviour: Actively push cash payment and provide no receipt for sales in cash
    3.Possible Consequence: Run away from State business tax and income tax
    4.Evidence for my specific case:
    •Invoice of my credit card payment, which is the proof of business transaction. (This can be used to track the retailer information, sales person's information because he need to get his commission of this sales)
    •The product, iPhone4 8G (The product model and serial number could be used to track the commodity circulation information acroo the manufacturer, wholeseller, and reseller, etc.
    •Obviously the above two cannot match, the $ can not make the product value because they charge me $488 on cash and provide no receipt, so there is high possibility they run away the business tax and income tax of the $488 sales.
    •I have an witness who see the whole thing, this gentleman is my colleague
    I strongly recommend that you should start an investigation on those bahaviours of small stores at Manhattan. They are pushing hard for sales in cash, which brings difficulties for the tax levy and creates lots of tax exposure.
    I cannot image people try to ran away from their liabilities under such economic situation. That is unfair to those honest business owners with sense of responsibilities, and also an offense to other tax payers.
    You may think $488 is nothing and worthless for your time and effort. However, when we think about the behavours as a group of business owners and the nature of this behaviours, the impact to the $ and tax levy environment will be hugh and substaintial.
    Thans for your time.
    Regards

• Pa
      14th of Nov, 2011

Good effort Hugh_Wu.
    I tried the same and fought with my credit card company for 6 month, but they couldn't do much, since I was out of USA.
    We definitely need to teach a lesson to MOBILECOM.

• Ka
      29th of Nov, 2011

Totaly agree also. I am french, i just book an Unlocked IPHONE 4S in this shop, I have no micro sim so I can't try the phone in New York.
    I have tried here, and big surprise, this phone is locked. I call Apple in france, they told me that for them this IPHONE is locked with AT&T and that I will not be able to use it.
    I have called AT&T they told me that they can't unlocked it because they have not the possibility to do it. And apple told me that they are not able to do it, because it's regarding the operator.
    I don't know how this guy can continue to rapt people like that, how Apple do not move and do something to interupt this way to do things !!!
    I am disgusted !!!

• Fr
      9th of Jan, 2012

They did the same thing with me. I bougth 3 Iphone 4 and they are locked. I pay for unlocked and they didn't. We need to do something with that guys. I can't beleive that they can do something like that in New York.

29th of Jan, 2012

I returned to Australia from a wonderful holiday in the US with my two teenage children. We were unable to purchase iphones in the apple store as they were out of stock and walked into Mobilecom at 566 Fashion avenue, NY as they had plenty in stock. My kids spent $2000.00 on two iphone 4S with accessories. They had been saving this money for ages and were looking forward to having iphones. The man who sold them to us guaranteed us that they were unlocked. After trying to activate them with a provider here we found that they are locked with Sprint in the US. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Apple, AT&T and then Sprint to try to fix the problem. As I have no account in the US or identity in the US they were not able to help me although a lady from Sprint was wonderful and is following up for me.

• Jl
      17th of Feb, 2012

i totally agree with all above, i have just returned from new york and bought 2 iphones both were unlocked in store for me they charged me extra to do this .i asked to see the phones working which they did, but on getting these phones home one won't charge and the other the main button dosen't work, i have tried to contact them but the number on there receipt dosen't work (suprise suprise).i phoned apple up and they told me the phones are refurbished and outof guarrentee so they cannot help .i bought the phones as new but have been ripped off, by cheats and villians .i cannot believe with this many complaints that apple have not done anything

• Ba
      30th of Mar, 2012

Same happened to me, I bought an "unlocked" iPhone 4 but did not have the micro sim so I could not test it and now I found that it is locked for AT&T.
    This store at 566 7th avenue is cheater and robber as you said. BUT I don't understand how it is still open and nobody did something "legal" to close the store...

2nd of Apr, 2012

It's appalling. I lodged a complaint with the New York Better Business Bureau. They sent the business a letter and gave them 2 weeks to respond. When they didn't, the case was closed. So no one has held these thieves to account. I cannot believe the weak laws the US has around common thieves like this who continue to get away with this on a daily basis. How many more people have to get scammed before someone stops them filling their fat greedy wallets with the money of innocent victims?

• Sc
      19th of Apr, 2012

I am scammed by these low-life cheaters of Mobilecom also by purchasing a HTC HD7 there, they charged me additional 400 USD for so-called no-contract fee that they alleged was just an authorized deposit and would be refunded to my credit card after they went through a certain process to evade no-contract issue, so I was confused and signed the receipt due to I was not familiar with the no-contract issue in USA, but shortly later I found I was scammed by them due to my credit card bank called me to confirm the additional transaction of 400 USD, they told me it's not an authorized deposit transaction but a real transaction! Now, I have filed a complaint against them to New York Department of Customer Affair, who have been conducting a investigation to Mobilecom, but up to now almost 2 months have passed, no more update from them, I am shocked and disappointed, I won't believe Mobilecom have been committing crimes in Times Square for so many years and the New York authority have been making this happen to so many customers for so many years! I doubt the US business fame and legal system that US government have been proud of are lies...

26th of May, 2012

Same happened to me, I bought an "unlocked" iPhone 4s but did not have the micro sim so I could not test it and now I found that it is locked for Sprint.
    This store at 566 7th avenue is cheater and robber . I also don't understand how it is still open and nobody did something "legal" to close the store...
    I will also complain to the New York Better Business Bureau about this store.

21st of Jun, 2012

HI Friends,

I was in New York in November 2010 and i went to Mobilecom to buy a Phone. I selected an Iphone 3gs (Unlocked) having Price 350$ and gave my Travel Card to Merchant at Mobilecom to purchase it. Merchant swiped the card and gave me a receipt of 350$ to sign. I signed the receipt and gave back to the merchant. While merchant was printing the receipts, he said that I will not be able to use the iPhone on any network other then AT&T as it is locked. So I asked the merchant to unlock the iPhone, and he replied that he will charge around 39.99$ for iPhone unlock.I asked the merchant to unlock the iPhone as i was ready to give 39.99$ for update.

Mobilecom updated the phone and gave me a new Transaction receipt of 395.17$. I asked the Mobilecome why you are giving me 395.17$ Transaction receipt. Mobilecome replied that he had adjusted the 350$ Transaction receipt with the new 395.17$ Transaction receipt. I said i will not sign the new receipt. He convinced me by saying that he will need to receipt for cancellation of old receipt and future reference, so i signed the new Transaction receipt ( details given below) of 395.17$ and gave it to merchant.

Merchant Address - Mobilecom, 566 Fashion Avenue, New york, 10018, Phone -212 354 1330

After getting the Bank Transaction Receipt, the Merchant gave me the Shop Itemized details receipt. I was shocked to see that one one item was there Iphone and they took 684.43$ for that and put 60.74 tax. Even the 39.99$ for software was not mentioned in the Itemized receipt and that made me realize that Merchant committed a defraud with me.I asked the merchant that why he is taking 745.17 instead of 390. The merchant started shouting at me and pushed me against the wall. I was alone so i got scared and came out of Shop without taking my phone. Even i did not signed the Itemized Receipt assuming that the merchant will deposit the money back in my Bank Account.When i cam back in hotel, i found that my account is having only 85 and the merchant took 745.17 from my account.

I reported this case to my Credit Card Bank they wasted 2 months but result was nothing. In response to my case Mobilecom said that I (me) asked them to take the payment in two parts and thats why they gave me two receipts.

I searched on internet and found that Mobilecom are big cheaters and they cheated alot of people.

I also informed the Department of Consumer Affairs nyc.gov/consumers and submitted a Case - dca.2010.11.17.020433 against Mobilecom, but nothing happened.

I found following links on internet that shows the they are big cheaters.

If you need any information and want to file a case against Mobilecom then please let me know. You guys can contact me via facebook - http://www.facebook.com/manoj.gju.it and Join the group http://www.facebook.com/groups/440886429269108/ so that we can join together and teach them a lesson.

Regards,
    Manoj Kumar

2nd of Sep, 2012

Well Hello I think I got rip off too, I am from Washington, DC, I went with my family yesterday Sept 1 to New York the . city that brings a lot of turist, and it happened that I pass by MOBILECOM store on 566 7th Street with phone 212-354-1330, and when you call the number is not recognized, and there is another number 212-278-0820 and no one answered, store and I went inside with my wife .43x super fisheye wide angle lens and we ask for a lens for a canon camera, and one of the gentlemen helped me and offer me a FISHEYE lens .42x super fisheye angle lens, I did not know about much about this product, but he show us how it worked and we liked and he asked me for it $249.00 but he said since is a holiday I will live it for $160.00 no tax include, I bought it, but when I got home and look in the internet I found that Amozone and other stores in the internet have the same product for no moere than $40.dollar, isn't thei a rip off??. I am planning to send this issue to the Better Bussines Berau, and I am going to suit them for been thieves.

3rd of Sep, 2012

I agree with you Jorge, this was again a rip off done by those cheater. Even I am surprised that they are still cheating peoples. They cheated me last year in Nov 2011 and many other people are still getting cheated. Jorge, lets join the following Facebook group which I created so that we get together and find out a way to teach them a lesson.

6th of Jan, 2013

Hi friends
    Its my first trip to US and was in New York for transit. The very first day I went to Times square and thought of purchasing a SIM to stay connected as I was feeling a bit insecured without being in touch with my family. The at&t store was closed so I went to this MOBILECOM 566, fashion street, to get a gsm sim card. The salesman there told me about a plan for $70 and sim for $60. He then asked for how long do I need the sim... I told, about an year or so. Then he said I have to pay for 3rd, 6th, 12th and 18th month in advance. I was new to all this in US and thought that this would be the policy here, so I agreed. I was repeatedly asking how much would be the total amount that I need to pay, the salesman was not responding but talking to me about my country India. He then asked for my credit card and swiped it without even telling me the final amount. I asked him for a receipt too... he said he will provide but later said that the customer copy of the card payment would be enough. When he gave me the customer copy to sign on, I was shocked to see $605.85 for which he said everything is taken in advance n now nothing needs to be paid for next 18 months. I was a bit surprised with this behaviour but could not do anything more as I had to rush for my train. Later I called T-mobile to enquire about my plan n validity as I was still apprehensive, customer executive said that T Mobile has got nothing more than 57 $.
    Then I called MOBILECOM using the number on customer copy but it was invalid. When I googled for it, what I only got were the links of complaints board. The next day I had to leave new york so I could not go back to the shop and reading all the complaints here, I only thank god for nothing bad had happened to myself except this monetary loss.

MOBILECOM robbed me of some $600 that too for a petty sim card. Can any of you please guide me if anything could be done to get that money back. Why are no steps being taken by the administration against this cheater sitting in the heart of NY

• Jp
      11th of May, 2013

Hi all...DO NOT MAKE BUSINESS with MOBILECOM New York. >>>>> Burglars, liars, thiefs.
    I just bought 1 iPhone 4 for 300USD and 1 Samsung for 400US + NY taxes (around 8 something)...
    No receipt provided and when I checked the Credit Card account, they had charged me 1139 USD !!!
    I filed a claim with AX card, and will send an email to the shop, but I believe it is hopeless as I m back in France.

• In
      4th of Jun, 2013

Agree with them they charge twice i bought i pad 2 $299 and 2 year guarantee but they charge $433 and $ 290 and then sales person said i get return but it is already 40 days ago i bought it
    But still money wasn't return !! I called them one sales man said 2 years warranty is $199
    They never said about to me and apple 2 year warranty is $99
    As i found on apple site
    Anyway i am trying to reach them if they keep ignored my phone
    I will sue them BBB and small
    Money court .

• Os
      27th of Jun, 2013

stole my backpack near this shop, with credit card and my document, make the complaint, when I receive a summary of my card had made ​​a purchase at this store for $ 800, falsified my signature and had to wait two months and fill forms in my bank to reintegrate me the money, I read in another post several comments from people scammed with your credit card at this store, they should shut it down.

• Ad
      13th of Aug, 2013

Yes i was cheated as well!! Bought a sim caed but they didn give me the epin no for the credit activation. They told me my simcard is activated and that i would have unlimited internet access. Well i only found out from tmobile helpline that my card is activated but NO CREDIT and i need the epin no they DIDNT PROVIDE TO ME! I made a complain with dept of consumer affairs and i hope everyone here does it too. Sigh.

• Go
      22nd of Sep, 2013

unfortunately, I have been cheated by mobilecom. I am very confused, How they can do it in new york? It is not slum, it is middle of the new york. How can be exist ? Where is the USA laws.
    I am living in Turkey, nobody can do it in here. Our laws much better than usa.
    I went mobilecom store with my parents. My 60 year old father almost heart attack. I call the police . Police offecer told me that this store is big liar. Also he said, they take report from turists regularly.
    But, he said, it is not police job, you need to go court.
    How I can apply court, I was leave from usa a couple hours later.
    I want to write report every where? Please help me, what I can do