MJ Hecker and Associates / Harrasment

1 Littleton, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-433-9455

This collection agency pretends to be a lawfirm, but the only want your money. The have big named clients like Exempla. If any Exempla hospital or establishment really looks into how this agency treats people, they would never use them. When MJ Hecker is trying to get a client they tell their employees that there is a client coming in today and to be on the phones smiling and dialing, and PLEASE DO NOT BE MEAN ON THE PHONE.You can only be mean once they are gone.I was employed there and they wanted me to have the patients ask for money from friends and relatives if they didnt have the money. The agency uses a system called Acxiom that can locate any person in the USA. This system is a great system to locate people but it gives information out about if you own your home and how much you paid, your ssn#, relatives and possible phone numbers, it even can tell someone you bank accounts and what type of car you drive. So this is how they find you. I am sure many collection agencies use this system, so this is how you are found. If the patient you are trying to reach is deceased, MJ Hecker will ask the relative that answers the phone, to pay the debt. This agency has no morals AT ALL. Jacqueline Morales is one of the agencies "supervisors" but she is as flaky as they come with her fat belly and alcoholic breathe. And Devon Valverde the other "supervisor" is her drinking buddy, but he does his tabacco chewing on the job so he doest have to drink and chew. Steve Blair is the collections Manager, but is screwing Jessica the bookkeeper, who is now pregnanat, but I guess she fell for his flirting, because the whole time I was employed there Steve could help himself to look at my body.I you are 16 and need a job for a quick 2weeks, this is the place to be.But if you are serious and need a job that will last for a long time, dont fall for this job.
They dont do a drug screening either "weed smokers" so this might be the job for you too.EXEMPLA...PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE PATIENTS THAT YOU SEND OVER TO THIS AGENCY.CALL THE PATIENS UP AND ASK THEM HOW THEY WERE TREATED.MJ HECKER AND ASSOCIATES (THE ASSOCIATES ARE THE DRUNKS THEY HAVE CALLING PATIENTS) ALWAYS
TOLD THEIR EMPLOYEES THAT THERE BIGGEST CLIENT IS EXEMPLA, THEY DONT WONT TO LOSE THAT BUISNESS, BUT EXEMPLA, Pretend to call in as a patient, and say that you received a call from them, give them a name that is common and once they pull a name up, act as if you are that patient. Say that you have no money and cant pay right now.Watch how they start to treat you and what their suggestions are on how you should get the money.If they say it will go to legal, that just means on the other side of the wall of cubicles.They have accounts that are so old that they will never get paid, but they keep harrassing Exempla patients.So as a former employee, I seen how patients were being harrassed and didnt agree with it at all.Another thing before I go, half of the staff smokes weeds on breaks, so Exempla, come in and do a drug screen on the WHOLE ENTIRE MJ HECKER STAFF, before you decide to bring them more buisness.

Tg

Comments

3rd of Dec, 2008

I am the owner of MJ Hecker & Associates, PC. I am an attorney and have been licensed in Colorado since 1987. My attorney registration number is 16628. We are a full service collection law firm. I am a member of the the Colorado Bar Asociation, the American Collectors Association, the ACA Member's Attorney Program amoung other trade organizations.

If anyone has a problem or issue dealing with anyone from my office, you can call me directly to try to resolve the matter. My direct line is 303-561-4305 and it rings right to my desk. If I am not available, please leave your full name, a phone number where I can reach you at and your account number, if you have it, and I will call you back. It is our intent to resolve matters rather than to make things worse.

Martin J. Hecker
    Attorney at Law

• Ev
      4th of Dec, 2008

Only anonymous cowards post things like this...This person obviously lacks the courage of their convictions or they would stand behind what they say by putting a name behind this mindless drivel...
    Obviously this coward was not equipped to perform the duties of the job they applied for, nor even able to arrive to work as they stated they could and committed to doing when interviewed...
    This person couldnt even grasp the concept of how commissions are paid at MJ Hecker & Associates...Any experienced collector knows that 19% of 6000.00 is not a feasible commission rate...
    Perhaps accepting responsibilty for their actions(or lack there of) and addressing ones own inadequacies would be a good place for this anonymous coward to start, instaead of the pathetic cop out they have obviously decided to embrace...

• Ex
      18th of Dec, 2008

Thank you for posting this. I received an automated call from them and this is all very enlightening.

• Fa
      20th of Dec, 2008

I have worked for Mr Hecker for over 4 yrs and I never thought I would feel so secure and so cared for by a company. I had never done collections when I first started and it does take a month or so to build a file and become successful, but I learned and became one of the top collectors there. I did this by working hard for the patients who needed help with payment arrangments and time to do so. Sure it can be frustrating because you come across people who are unwilling to pay and are abusive, but with the help of my managers I was able to keep my calm and help only the ones who wanted it.
    The training course at the company is mandatory to teach even the most talented of collectors the FDCPA (fair collection laws) and how to work with patients on arrangements.
    As far as the hiring goes, I have seen so many people come in and lie about their background and tell the managers that they have yrs of experience and would love to be on the team. Everyone is given a probabtionary period (what company in this industry wouldn't). I don't understand why ex-employees are so discruntled when they are let go because the called in sick or with a flat tire or every other lame excuse in the book during their first WEEK! This happens all the time.
    You can't find good help these days!
    This is a real law firm and yes Mr Hecker is the only attorney. If you knew him, you would believe that an attorney could be that understanding of peoples problems and so caring about his staff.
    Our floor managers Devon and Jaqualine are a great team and do everything they can to make us more successful. They do on-going training with new hires months after they have started. Mr Blair and Mr Randle, the collection directors are the best in the business, I have learned so much from working with them and know for a fact that when they hire anyone it is based on skill and work ethic alone.
    The one's who write these horrible comments on these sites are frustrated, because they lied in the interview and then couldn't perform the job. As a happy employee I feel sorry for them to feel they have to stoop to this level and hope that they have learned that they should apply for jobs that they actually know how to do. Collections isn't for everyone, so go find a job that suits you and stop slandering a good and reputable company.

• Rr
      11th of Feb, 2009

As a person who tried to make arrangements with this office, i'll just say they can contact the billing department of Exempla Lutheran for a copy of the email i've just sent outlining the attempt I made to make payment arrangements only to be refused unless I paid them 50% of the balance Today. It seems apparent they would prefer to have judgements placed against people so they can garnish paychecks which is ridiculous since that will not get them a lump sum up front either. If the people they harrass had thousands of dollars to "pay today" it's not likely they would be needing to deal with MJ Hecker and Associates.

• To
      4th of Mar, 2009

I have had some interactions with the Hecker law firm and for the most part have felt comfortable with my dealings. I have dealt with one individual that I feel should be removed from employment, but I ended up with her supervisor who has helped me.

The bad employee wanted me to pay another $50 on top of what I was already paying. I couldn't do it. Believe me I would if I could. She Of course, got mad at this and the phone call went downhill. I was told by the employee (bad individual) that it is people like me that give her a job. I had asked her to transfer me and she started raising her voice and telling me that she will do what I called in about.

At this point, I didn't trust her and I told her so. Who knows, she could take my checking information and run with it. So, to make matters worse she hung up on me. I was mad at this point and I went and tried to call a different number. I got her on the phone again. All I wanted to do was to talk to someone else. She asked me if I had anything better to do with my time. I just kindly asked her to transfer me. She hung up again. I called back and then she said " OH my gawd, what is wrong with you". I then got a different number and talked to a professional at the Hecker office. This new lady was a supervisor and after I explained what had transpired, she put me on hold and spoke to the director. The new lady said that they were going to pull the tapes and review what had happened between the bad employee and me.

I called today to give the information that was requested of me and to follow up with what the firm decided on the bad employee. My guess is that the bad employee is going to continue to be employed, but I am hoping that I do not have to deal with her.

I know that there is protection from the abuse that transpired between the bad employee and me, but as I was informed today; this is a law firm and the next step is garnishment. I know that I would be in more trouble if a garnishment were to happen, so I guess there is no other way, but to be treated horribly by some individual that has all my information.

I would give Hecker a 7 on a 10 score. 10 of course is the best.

• Ti
      18th of Mar, 2009

This place is unbelievable. They are NOT a lawfirm! If you owe them money do not pay without making them settle. I owed them almost a thousand dollars and finally after arguing and telling them I saw all of the complaints about them and that I was going to add to those complaints they really sucked up to me and dropped it by $500 dollars. One person named Lavon who will ALWAYS answer the phone is the most disrespectful unprofessional person I have ever come across. She hung up on me several times and all I wanted was a bill showing me what I was paying for. She said they don't provide that. Obviously some sort of rip off scam. I finally found away around her and spoke directly to MJ Hecker (after she had told me he was in court all day, all week, all month...)and surprise he answered at his desk! He spoke with me briefly and told me he would get back to me about the issue, and he had someone else call me back...what a coward! This place is horrible! If you have to deal with them and they will not settle or make payment arrangements, then let them take you to court. Trust me it's worth the time. Do not trust these people! They are theives!!!

• Tx
      25th of Mar, 2009

I have dealt with MJ Hecker; my experiences were horrible. ALthough I have reached a settlement with them, I believe that someone whether it is FDCPA or Exempla should look into their practices. I will not make accusations about Mr. Hecker because I have never dealt with him. But I have dealt with two very rude people there. The only reason I settled with them is to never have to deal with their harassment techniques.

First off, Mr. Hecker (if it is really you posting on here) I admire your tenacity for being able to speak up and defend your business. But as a business owner, you should be aware of what type of people you hire and what they are taught to say. I would gladly pay my debt with someone who is respectful and does not threaten to take me to court. With all due respect, if you were going to take me to court for $1600 it would cost you more in court fees than it would have to settle, so I doubt you would have done so. The threats only made me want to delay my payments further. Also, a ridiculous a concept of your employees to ask if I had the whole balance to pay... Seriously, if i had that kind of money I would have health insurance, and would not be in this current situation.

All we ask Mr. Hecker is for a little respect, one excuse your employee gave me for not respecting me is because "well maam, if you would have paid your bill then you would deserve respect"! It is outright wrong of your employees to give their biased opinions when they know nothing of the situation. If you want your company to remain a good reputable company I suggest that you take a deeper look and start micro-managing the people who use your name MJ Hecker.

13th of Apr, 2009

Tell me people????? if someone owed you money and they refused to pay you how would you handle it? Am i to understand if you were just treated with respect you would start paying? Why wouldnt you just pay the hospital? why to you wait until it goes to collections before you start thinking about paying your bill? why is the collector now the bad guy.. are you not the one who ignored the letters and the calls? Why do bills go to collection agencies????????it has always ( amused me mostly ) how everyone complains about bill collectors. do you really think other Americans who take responsibilty for themselves and make every effort to pay there bills prior to going to a collection agency believe all of your horror stories of being a victim. Again... how should you be asked to pay your bill when its one or two years old? should you be asked nicely and told go ahead and pay when you can? MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST BE HONEST WHEN WALKING INTO A HOSPITAL FOR MEDICAL CARE OR WRITING A CHECK TO A GROCERY STORE AND JUST SAY UP FRONT... I WOULD LIKE YOUR SERVICES BUT WONT BE ABLE TO PAY YOU FOR A YEAR OR TWO... AND SEE WHAT THE RESPONSE IS. Everyone is a victim...PATHETIC!!!

• Mo
      22nd of Apr, 2009

I have gotten many phone calls for a person who does not live at this phone number. I told the representative this only to recieve more phone calls to my home. They clearly don't care about LAWS of the land when asked not to call again if asked. This is a horrible company.

• Wo
      29th of Apr, 2009

Mj Hecker&Associates, from my brief talk with a person at his office the person threatened me, I will say the person I dealt with was very unprofessional, I will make sure I follow the law, in my opinion they use the threat of a lawsuit to intimidate you, if you feel that Mr Hecker or his company violated your rights, that they are using sleazy tactics file a complaint againt him with the Colorado Supreme Court Attention John Gleason Colorado Supreme Court Attorney Regulation Counsel, http://www.coloradosupremecourt.com/Regulation/Regulation.asp

DO NOT BE PUSHED AROUND IF THEY ARE INCORRECT OR DISCOURTEOUS TO YOU !

• Us
      28th of May, 2009

My hecker and associates sent me a letter saying I owe money to a hospital, i called and told them I was a child at the time and never used an ambulance. they asked where i was from i said OK. and later in the conversation i said i have never been to the state where they are from and they said, "oh, it was done in oklahoma. I told them i wasnt living in oklahoma at the time. they said they talked to the hospital and the hospital said i was 18 years old, and i was born in 81...NOT CORRECT! He asked for my social i said, i will not give that out, and he raised his tone of hise voice and said, "I need your social to do my own investigating!" I said i will not give it out. and he said well why did you callme? i told the man because u say i owe money and i dont you have the wrong person. and he was very rude becuase i wouldnt give him my social, i said well ill let my lawyer take care of this situation, he said well i will be cheaper. i said no. he said well on the report i will say u refused to pay. They should not be rude to people. I do not owe any money and i told them im the wrong person, and yet they say well theres nothing to do. it just seems really fraudulant to me. A law firm in maryland a year ago called a friend of mine saying the same thing. they asked for their social and they said well, what do u have on file and they said a differnt social and they said thats not mine, then they said ok bye! so, im going to say this~~~

NEVER GIVE ANYONE YOUR SOCIAL!!!

• Tp
      6th of Jun, 2009

I received a letter from them saying I owed a creditor G Smiths Investments 896.49 but they will settle for 358.59. First of all I have never heard of G Smiths Investments. So I called up and spoke with a Steve who wouldn't tell me who this company was. I asked for documentation to be sent showing I had done business with company and what dates for what amounts and he told me that information wasn't available for me to see. How did I want to go ahead and settle on the account. I asked him if he received a very vague stating he owed money would that he didn't know the reason or what it was for would he just go ahead and say "Geez, if this letter says I owe money then I best go ahead and pay!" He became rude and started yelling and threatening me. I told him to go ahead do what he feels he must do and I will do the same. He hung up on me. I do hope that companies like this really take a deep hit in this economy!

• Te
      23rd of Jun, 2009

This is for TPdx. If they can't prove you owe the debt then they can not collect on the debt. You have a right to copies of the proof they say they have. Watch them, because some of these credit collection businesses have even change dates on old debts that are passed the statute of limitations. These companies are called "Scavenger Collection Agency". These are companies that buy up older and mostly uncollectable debts for a fraction of there cost and are notorious for using illegal and unethical methods to collect a"time barred" Debt.

Everybody has finacial problems at one time or another. You as a consumer have legal rights to protect you from illegal and unethical methods used by
    some of these debt collection agencies. There is a lot of info. on line about about debt collection. Learn your rights!!

• In
      12th of Aug, 2009

MJ Hecker sent us a letter stating that we owed $80.57 for a supposed $70 owed to a plumber (who had declared bankruptcy).

The plumber did in fact come to our house for an "evaluation" that cost $125...don't get me started. In any case we paid with a check for $55, and he billed our house warranty company (First American) for $70. 2 weeks later, First American paid him $70.

But somehow, MJ Hecker and Associates think that we owe them $80.57 ($70 + interest and fee).

We tried to call and resolve this issue, but
    1) They would hang up on us.
    2) They refused to talk to the First American claims resolution people (who called MJ Hecker in an attempt to communicate about the $70 that had in fact been paid).

Overall it appears that MJ Hecker and Associates are no different than school-yard bullies. They say "You owe us money. Give us your money" without any justification. Then when one attempts to resolve the situation, they just try to strong arm you, hoping that you think it will be cheaper to pay them than to get to the bottom of things.

• Ev
      21st of Aug, 2009

Most of you people as as dishonest with yourselves as you are the people you owe money to...These sob stories are a joke and you know what youre writing is so slanted its absurd...If MJ Hecker and Associates were as illegal as you losers like to present, theyd have been shut down and Mr Hecker disbarred long ago...Be honest, get jobs, pay your bills and quit actling like a bunch of victims...The victims are the bussiness you ripped off...

• Mj
      21st of Aug, 2009

evetsrialb, you look like the loser here, I have a good case against MJ Hecker and thanks to you I will be pursuing a civil case against them for money damages and will also be filing a FTC complaint along with it, they claimed I owed money I did not owe I was correct and the staff at MJ Hecker was wrong, see idiots like you who believe that when a ### debt collector says you owe money, you must, well I did not. So smoke that in your debt collector loser pipe.

4th of Sep, 2009

wow !!! that last comment was filled with all kinds of substanial facts. Now I clearly see why your running out to file a lawsuit. I think I will run out and file a frivolous law suit against you for being a ###! You have to love the anonymous postings of losers!!! It gives all the other losers hope that their not alone.

4th of Sep, 2009

Its Ok Tgun, I already have everything I need to file a suit, I have a year from the infractions per FDCPA, so keep talking and spewing your ### debt collector garbage, seems to me that you might work for the debt collector in question, MJ Hecker did in fact claim I owed money I did not owe. Its loser like yourself that think because debt collectors make false allegations, that automatically you must owe the money, I also like how you post here anonymously and talk crap. I think you're the true loser on this forum and in real life.

18th of Sep, 2009

I guess I'd better graciously bow out of this little on-line forum for victims. I have clearly met my match and have been called out for what I truly am. I wish all of you well in your dealings with collection agencies and collection law firms.