Midwest Clearing, Inc. / Fraud and cheating!

Midwest Clearing has some questionable tactics in their sales methods. Every summer one of their employees comes by my door. I know who they are with the second they open their mouth. The first thing they do is provide positive comment on your character. Next, they ask you if you have heard of their company. Then, they ask you if you can help them by investing in their personal future. Usually, they have a story about how this company took them from a bad area riddled with drugs and gangs. Then the company teaches them how to sell and change their life to become a business owner. Somewhere they say that by buying a magazine subscription you can help them achieve a quota of some sort to get a prize.

They basically play on your emotions to get a magazine sale. They use the story to persuade you that buying a magazine will help them get a better life.
The company www.midwestclearing.com offers no mention of the countless young people they have saved from inner cities by teaching them sales and business practices. The website describes how they have sales people selling magazines.

Unless you can't leave your house or don't know how to subscribe to a magazine I wouldn't believe their life story about leaving the hood and getting business experience by selling magazines.

I spent about 20 minutes recently talking to one of their sales people. I asked him if he knew what he was involved in and he stuck to his story. I asked him if he knew he was a salesman for the company. He always replied about how this company would help him become a business owner and financially successful. I just warned him that he should be aware of what kind of company he is working for and not to let them dangle carrots in front of his nose with empty promises. He said he like the work. If his story about his little boy was true I hope that he does OK.

Gr

Comments

• Pi
      5th of Feb, 2008

I once worked for both Paragon sales and Paragon management between 2003 and 2005. Since then i am right where i started in the beginning as far as they go for young adults get away from a bad area. I am from St. Louis , MO and didnt get anything but bad labor practices from both COMPANIES not program or youth inhancement like they percieve to be. NOW in 2008 I have started my own company that promotes opportunities for young adults for with real compesation rather than a dream or idea. Its called Creative Marketing INC. I personally do all the recruiting and motivating that will hopefully spread into something that will really change the game forever. Peace.

28th of Oct, 2008

I too was given the song and dance they tell their people to provide. I cancelled my check the very next day after researching this on the internet. Now they have tried to send me to collections to pay for the check that I cancelled. They want $105 to cover their expenses.

31st of Aug, 2009

I had the same unfortunate experience. I did the same thing and cancelled my check and now I recieved a collection notice for $105.00 . How did you handle the collection services?

16th of Feb, 2010

My 74year old husband was recovering from surgery when a salesman came to the door with a story that my husband (not in his right mind)bought and handed over cash.Realizing his mistake later that day he filled out and mailed the form requesting a refund.Now, months later they still give me"the check is in the mail"routine but never a check.I've notified BBB, so far no response but will continue to go after them since I think many other older people have been taken in and they should be stopped.Joyce Strom

16th of Feb, 2010

we canceled subscription immediately and 4 mos later, no refund.

• Qt
      2nd of Jun, 2010

I ordered a magazine subscription about six months ago from a kid walking around the neighborhood. He seemed like a nice kid and also had the story about being from the "Hood." Well, I did NOT get any issues and thought that I had been ripped off but I found the receipt and called the company. They looked up my receipt and said that it was turned in as a "gift" and was going to a Boys and Girls Club in L.A. Now, I did NOT agree to that. I was expecting to get the magazine delivered to my home but I also think that if it gets kids to read and to take up exercising that is a good thing. 30 plus years ago I started reading this magazine (it was the forerunner to "Muscle & Fitness") as a kid myself and starting working out and it helped me. The company offered to give me another year free of charge and start delivering it to me but I said no. I guess what I am saying is the main thing for me is that the magazine is actually being delivered and some kids are hopefully reading it and maybe it will have a positive impact on their lives as my first issue did with me (I uploaded the cover of that issue that I found on the web). Midwestclearing.com was very nice to me and fully offered extend my subscription for an extra year for the "mistake" so I don't have any complaints with them.

• Li
      26th of Sep, 2010

has it ever accoured to any of you [censor]s that some of these people are really tellin the [censor]in truth, you sit high and look low like your so better than others your human just cause you make more money next time someone comes by put yourself in their shoes.. and stop complaining you give money to the bum that going to get high on your money...

• Du
      13th of Dec, 2010

i loved the bizz nizz and it gave me what i put into it, it is a legit bizz nizz but just like anything it depends on the manager in charge. people get their mags my brother and daughters still get theirs from the very same type of people. people just fear what they dont understand sometimes you gotta just look alittle deeper then just the first couple layers just like onions

• El
      19th of Apr, 2011
    Midwest Clearing, Inc. - Sold me a magazine subscription and then never sent it .
    Midwest Clearing Inc.
    3649 West 183RD Street Suite 101
    Hazel Crest
    Illinois
    Phone: (708) 206-2001
    midwestclearing.com

A young women came to my door selling subscriptions. She showed me her licence and said it was for something that seemed worthwhile. It's been 4 months. I have yet to recieve my magazine. I called the phone number and it's been disconnected.

• Mi
      8th of Sep, 2011

Hi! I am a former employee of Midwest clearing and its not a FRAUD folks!!! Its a job position that teaches poor youth, troubled teens, and single parents WORK-ETHICS!!!
    I was a Honest Faithful worker for Midwest Clearing, and my customers always received there reading material...My only problem was I didn't make the money I thought I should have been making but, Oatmeal beats no meal at all... :) if you have a comment feel free to email me : Mikej17@hotmail.com

• Li
      21st of Oct, 2014

I worked for ACS for Don Scott. My manager was the owner of Paragons and he and his wife hired me to their crew. Taking a young person out of the inner city and giving them a chance to survive off the streets is a legitimate tale... however, some people were just working at selling magazines. I tried the line of trying to make it off the streets of the inner city but it was MY lie, not theirs. To be honest, I came from a very good home but had to make money so I sold magazines. I would walk up to my customers and say, "HI, I'm selling magazines. If you do not want any, they can be sent as gifts or we can renew some you already have. Each magazine subscription equals points and I am working to earn so many points to get a bonus."
    Most of the time people would buy...others would not. It is a numbers game but the lessons I learned working there will live with me forever. I use to be very shy and I am no longer an introvert. I had no idea how important it is to know how to just sell yourself, not so much what your are trying to get the customer to buy. Don't be too quick to judge these guys. If they are knocking on your door and selling subscriptions, they are indeed off the streets and not doing drugs. If you do not get your subscription, most of the time that is the magazine company. I am sure the owners of Midwest Clearing will do the right thing and get your magazines coming to you. I spoke to hundreds of people who renewed the subscription they had from the previous years and had no complaints with receiving them.