MetLife / overcharging

1 708 County Road B WestRoseville, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: (651) 489-0161

I have been going to this dentist for the last two years. I have had 3 root canals. Last year I had got approval to get the crowns put in for $500 each but I ended up waiting. This year I had to get a new approval for this year and I got the approval for the three that I needed done. Now the price has went up to $716 per crown. They claim that was what my insurance company requires them to charge but in reality it is the max my insurance company will allow them to charge. I think this is totally unacceptable expecially in these economic times. I have given this particular dentist thousands of dollars worth of business. The crowns that need to be done are all in a row and I was planning to do them all at once which would save the dentist hours worth of work. I am not impressed with the customer service or the business ethics of this dentistry.

Comments

• Ro
      23rd of May, 2009

Lorraine, if your MetLife plan is a PPO type of plan, the insurance company, not the dental office, sets the fee for particular services you have benefits for. The dental office contracts with the the insurance company under these types of plans (in this case MetLife) to accept patients covered by them (such as yourself) in exchange for the discounted fees the plan offers. Each year, the insurance company will adjust the fee schedules (usually increasing them slightly) for these types of plans. I'm sure the dental office is just providing you with the updated fee that MetLife allows for your procedure for this year. It does not sound like they are raising it on their own. And besides, $716 for a crown is actually a bargain when you consider that the national average for this procedure at the usual and customary fee is much higher (closer to a thousand dollars).