Medley communications / Darren Medley

1 1211 W. Acacia Ave. UNIT 15Hemet, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 951-652-1113

I went to work as I normally do, made it on time to the morning meeting. The owner was there starting it. First thing he does was talk about what great jobs we're doing then looks at me and starts yelling " YOU"RE DONE MAN YOU F*CKED IT ALL UP, GET YOUR SH*T AND MEET ME IN THE OFFICE" ! By this time I was in shock that he just did that to me in front of all 35 people that work there and being one of the most knowledgeable technicians he has for a year and a half. I felt so bullied and embarrassed I couldn’t even look at anybody. I have never felt so low and worthless in my life and I hope I can put some judgment down before it happens agian to someone else there. The company is WRONG.

Comments

Ri
  5th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I was there and saw it. Couldnt beleive it. I was surprised dude even went to his office. I'd a left. It gets worse. They do this kinda stuff to ya all the time. And they take your money. You never know how much you will make each week. They say it depends on how you did a month ago like anyone remembers back that far or could proof it. And then they take money back from you and its a lot. if they go out and find you did some little thing wrong they take money back. Some weeks its one amount but they changed it again. $150 they can take from you if you mess up enough. So you could end up making less than minamum wage!! you cant plan anything cuz you never know how much your check will be. Medley is a bad place to work. Lots of us are looking for someplace else. New trainees lots of times dont last long especially if they can find somethin else.

6th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I am employed by Medley Communications, Orange County. I have been making $200 dollars a week due to the lake of support from management. I have heard Daren go off on individuals in front of the whole crew (how degrading). I was initially impressed by their training course (going on about team work, blah blah blah) but come to find out it's just a bunch of lip service! I have come to find out a few things about operations; They are treated like Shi#(Shi$ rolls down hill), under staffed and they are all pot heads...

28th of Apr, 2009

I was trained and out in less than two weeks. I was #1 or in the top five in all categories. I went the extra mile and had my ego stroked by these guys. The whole time they were giving the money jobs to themselves (The five or six supervisors/dispatchers/supply guys). You see, they all had second functions around the shop. This would justify them getting the paying jobs and leaving the trouble calls to the other poor saps (myself included). I also didn't join the trainers clique, which sort of hurt me in a political sense. After they took out money for my tools, and meter rent, I was averaging about $250 a week. I lasted about eight weeks. They apologized to me and said Cox was screwing them. If you like a 50-65 hr work week for about 200 bucks, sign up with these guys!

Je
  16th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +3 Votes

I work for medley in the tucson system, i have been here for about 4 months. when i first started checks were small. coming from a working class family i have worked in construction and worked for piece rate before. i knew what i was getting into when i took my job. Over the last few weeks i have gotten faster and better at this, and as a result the money is starting to come in. ive been taking home around $550 a week wich is about $125 more than what i was making at the job i left to come work here. I work under a good super and on a good team. There is never a lack of guys willing to come help me when im running behind. A few weeks ago my truck broke down and my super took the time to help me find one that i could affored so i could get back to work as soon as possible. My experience here has been a good one and im proud to say i work for this company.

24th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

I work for Medley Hemet. I have been here for about a year and I have noticed that the guys the complain about their checks are also the ones that want to go home by 3:00 everyday. Then when they see their checks they want to blame managment for their small checks. I say put up or shut up. They have been nohting but fair to me. Those same people who complain about their checks are the same ones that are failing q.c.'s and all that. If you are not happy the leave, stop wining and move on...

Di
  29th of May, 2009
Best Best Advice Agree Disagree +7 Votes

ive been doing cable for three years you all sound like a bunch of complainers be happy medley even gave you a job and that you have a job in this crappy economic time ... for real the medley family are good people and will and everyone at corporate are here to help all of us not screw us.

El
  17th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -4 Votes

Je
  28th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

"I've been in the cable contracting industry for nearly 10 years, and enjoy it very much. It's not right that an organization jerks you around like that. It sounds like they have a tendancy to "charge-back" their technicians for work, which is illegal in the state of CA. I know this from experience with a class action suit I participated in. The state of CA also requires that you are paid at least minimum wage for time on the job, and overtime for anything over 40. I would recommend contacting a good labor attorney and hammering these guys for breaking the law. It's not right to work for a bunch of idiots. Let them have what they deserve."

this is all common knowledge, medley never back charges ever. ive failed QCs and never been back charged. No laws are being broken no one is being unfair. the bottom line is that some guys work and some guys don't, the guys that work succeed, the guys that don't ###, quit, and go do the same song and dance somewhere else. don't worry guys if you don't like it call centers are always hiring. Its is a simple thing, the expectations are laid out clearly and the company gives you everything you need to accomplish what they are asking.JUST DO THE JOB! I take a great deal of pride in my work no matter what i am doing, if i am putting my name on it i am going to do it well, educate myself, further my knowledge, and be better.I have no sympathy for a scab worker who wants a check for nothing. work harder!

El
  27th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree -3 Votes

The freaking Arris system sucked. There was no transparency in billing nor anyone teaching you how to bill. I think the guy above was right about the money jobs newer people always got to work the"70"

Lj
  9th of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

Whiners are whiners. They will always find something to complain about and somebody else to blame. Anybody gives you a job in this market is to be thanked. Piece work is for peope that produce at a high level and slackers weed themselves out. Good workers thrive in piece work jobs. Slackers leave and then look for the State or attorneys to do the work they aren't willing to do themselves.

El-Diablo senority earns you the better paying work. New guys earn their way through extra work.

Elrhyno you are an idiot. You bite the hand that feeds and soon you have no one stupid enough to hand you anything. Then you will be getting what you deserve.

Id
  20th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Medley Communications is the most corrupt and unethical cable contracting companies I have ever worked for. I have been doing cable for 6 years, 4 with a previous company and 1 with Medley (thank god), and the reason why is because 1. They do in fact steal money from there contractors by doing "charge backs" for failed Q.C.'s they charge you $50 a failed Q.C. 2nd they implement new changes and procedures on there techs all the time which takes up alot of your time in the field like for example they want you to read from a cue card to the customer explaining who you are and what the company is about which is embarrasing and takes up time which if your a contract cable guy you get paid by the job and time is of the essence. 3rd. You never know the amount of your paycheck becuase they're the only company that fluxeuates your pay every week, if you have failed Q.C.'s they charge 50 for that and they drop your overall pay for the week, so basicaly every week you just hope for the best cause you just never know what your check is gonna look like. 4th. The management system is bull, Darrin the owner is a spoiled rich kid that has a huge fit when things dont go his way he yells and rants at techs and management in front of EVERYBODY! Hes actually comical when he comes in to try and inspire the techs at morning meetings because he talks about team this and that and 2 seconds later hes cusing you out and your fired. Basicaly Medley Communication is a horrible company to work for and thats saying it litely, and im not sayin that cause i hold a grudge against them or anything cause i actually quit and am back in school because installing cable isnt the best career move for me but while i did it Medley was the worst and really gave me that push to look for a better career where i didnt have to take the bull that Medley does to its employees. I will acknowledge Damian Klas and Randy from Orange county they unlike Darrin are the only good part of the management over there.

Li
  14th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I worked for Medley in Tucson. And if you figure in the time you travel plus the jobs. You are making well under minimum wage. I was actually told by the local management to lie about my mileage to get extra money. I could not work for such an unethical company and that's why I quit. And they never tell you how to charge for work. That should be apart of the training. I want to warn everyone about another company in Tucson. See I thought I would give cable another chance thinking maybe it was just Medley that's messed up. So I got a job with BEAR communications of Tucson only to find out there even worse. They are a contractor for COMCAST. They pay even less because they supply you with a truck. And you buy your own gas. Same deal they work it so it appears on paper you make over minimum wage. Plus it was mandatory to work 6 day's and 50+ hours a week. People I can go on and on. This is the most anti employee industry I have ever been associated with, never have I been asked to do so much for so little. And when you deliver like I did, Never once did ether of these company's appreciate it. In not one meeting did I ever hear of them saying anything positive to the employee(Slaves).The cable industry is a joke. Here's a message to any cable contractor company owner's that might be reading this. You have the cream of Americas work force right now. That wont last for ever. Soon we will be back in are industries that care about there most valued asset there employee's. And you will have the bottom of the barrel unless you change your greedy way's.

Jo
  18th of Dec, 2009

"Exceeding The Expectations Of The Customer By Giving Your Best Each And Everytime In Order To Produce Predictability", is what your brainwashed with every morning, its the same as saying "pay attention to this so you don't realize ur getting screwed by this", Managers at Medley are battered wives to Darrin Medley's abusive husband, his crazy mood swings are not hush hush or infrequent. I've heard stories abought him screaming at the top of his lungs and beating the walls because every team member didn't remember to put his cone behind his vehicle at 7:30 am after more than likely pulling a 14 hour workday the day before. I've also heard a manager softly saying how much SHE wished it could've been perfect for Darrin when he got there, Every successful person in history has failed more than they succeeded, its how you learn, its how you grow, thats why good parents don't put up with Tantrums they're toddlers throw ( hey that rhymes).

Medley in a sense however is the most ingenious legal masterminds in the market today, to pull what they pull without breaking any laws must've taken the entire 18 years they been in business to perfect. It breaks down like you have read, you are responsible for your tools your vehicle and Insurance as well as your performance and billing your relationship with your co-workers your relationship with your managers, your relationship with your customers and above all your relationship with your client (Time Warner/ Cox Cable). In turn Medley is respnsible for...HELL I DON"T KNOW.

They Don't make sure your income is in a certain range, they don't make sure they're employees are in good health and not working themselves into health problems, they don't provide vacation time, medical, even basic holidays are out of reach depending what system you work in. THEY MAKE SURE YOU MAKE THEM MONEY WITHOUT COSTING MONEY.

Now some guys post that whiners are whiners some guys post that hard workers succeed, but ask yourself guys was it worth it? The top guys in my system had no personal lives whatsoever, nothing to talk about except work and getting drunk, I got scolded for not going to a company BBQ, as if I dont see these people enough. Maybe exconvicts can appreciate a career like Medley because they will never know how good it feels to have a decent legal goodpaying job, where putting your personal life on hold time after time again is NOT the mark of hard work but the mark of a SLAVE LABOR, and don't use the poor economy as an excuse, ITS BECAUSE OF COMPANIES LIKE MEDLEY THAT WE"RE IN THIS MESS. THE HARD WORKING LOWER MIDDLE CLASS ARE THE GIVERS AND THE SPOILED, BORN RICH, RECOVERING DRUG ADDICT, UPPERCLASS ARE THE TAKERS! By the way Damien Klaas how the ### did you blow through a million dollars in a year on drugs and friends? MEDLEY COMMUNICATIONS IS A LEGAL AMERICAN SWEATSHOP.

Be
  3rd of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I've been in the industry for 13 years. I've read this board before i worked for Medley to research what i was getting into. I lasted 5 months at the Medley institution. It is Darrin's company and he runs it the way he wants. He sees order, client appeal and exceeding the client and customer's expectation. No the expectation of the employee is never exceeded. Nor has the employee been provided with predictability. Medley Communications is a BUSINESS. If you don't like it then leave. Which i did. Darrin, although in my opinion a nice guy, fails to realize that his rules and regulations leads to the degradation of most techs and implications of racism and discrimination. Medley Communications IS NOT FOR THE EXPERIENCED TECH. If you have no experience in this field of work then Medley is a great place to start. Think of Medley as a trade school that's paying you and you will survive 6 months to a year. If you are an experience tech you are better off at McDonalds or Walmart. Medley makes careers for admin NOT TECHS. So if you're a tech seek employment elsewhere after about 4 months in the field. You'll find that you'll make more money and have less job stress.

Jd
  13th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree -2 Votes

Wow, never knew this site existed. I used to work for Medley. I am sure all the complaints (which most are true), I am a witness to.

Whiners or not... I speak from my own experience working for the company. I saw a hard working woman work for the company who was sexually harassed, call it playful banter or whatever. She always laughed it off. Worked hard and when she ran into a legal problem, they basically told her she needed to work whether or not she had a suspended license or not!!! If you as so much as let them down in any way, you will pay. They let her go because she chose to do the right thing... which was the wrong answer for Medley.

Hey "Girl", If I were you, if you ever run across this... I would find a lawyer and sue them. I will totally stand up for you, I was there. What they did to you was unethical and just wrong.

I know what "GIRL" your talking about. She got a DUI How is that anyone's fault but her own? Dont get me wrong i love her to death but she made a bad choice.

20th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I find this site laughable. Employees who whine and can't even spell?! My suggestion: pay close attention to details---all of them. Learn something from those in charge. Quit whining and do the work . Listen to instructions and follow them. This philosophy works in all jobs. Retired teacher...

Ni
  29th of Mar, 2010

Most of the former "techs" on here complaining about the company, were the one's who weren't cut out to do contract labor for a company that cares about quality. Most contractors have low quality control and a simple mindset of; make money, get out. This is why cable is such a revolving door and contractors have a bad reputation. Charge backs on QC's is very reasonable, the supervisor has to fix the fail that the tech neglected to do upon the initial order. Consider it a fair warning for negligence. Medley is a great company to work for, not once in my near two year employment have I ever been treated poorly or routed unfairly. Darrin is a character, the man sure knows how to talk. But he has never shown disrespect to me or anyone doing their job. He always finds time to take care of any concerns and works hard to keep his employees satisfied. This company is fairly large but is still run like a family business. Anyone new to cable is going to be frustrated at first, seeing venerated techs making over eight hundred a week verses their checks is very discouraging. In a piece rate industry, it is all about completion, when you spend four hours on a trouble call that pays twelve dollars you ruin your chances of making any good money that day. The best thing to do is pay close attention in training, ask a lot of questions and don't waste time back-tracking. If you aren't sure, call someone and get an answer.

Ma
  19th of Jun, 2010

Medley sucks. Bottom line... they are getting sued, and pretty much are gonna go down for their unprofessional ways. No matter how they go about threatening people, etc. No offense to Darren, when I worked for Medley years ago, I thought he was actually a great guy, it was mostly the people who worked under him who he had run their offices. I thank God I threw in the rag 2 years ago when I did, otherwise I'd be miserable. I feel sorry for my buds who are still employed by these people.

1st of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Every one Read this, its long but worth it.
Wow I just got this letter in the mail, Medley communications being sued, did it sound like this: I wrote this, Created Tuesday Jan 27 2009 with about a year in and quite a few months later because they wanted to fire me for being better than everyone else and they just gave me $500 dollars for passing all my Time Warner QC’s. I didn’t post it because I try my best to practice not to ever complain or explain, just keep on keeping on. But now I got to post this, also hey you, marathon man remember me…loser.
Medley Communications.

First of all you’re not a contractor; you’re a technician working for a tyrant contractor. You are to believe your efforts will be rewarded in exchange for your hard work. A rude awakening will inspire when you find yourself using your own truck and the expenses it takes to upkeep your own vehicle do not match what your putting out, especially your fuel expenses. On the average you will pay about $100+ a week in fuel; driving to Medleys customers, not yours. Who is getting the bigger percentage on the job from owing the business, Medley is of course, you’re only getting pennies on the dollar tech. You will eat this cost many months with low pay. Your paycheck will be below minimum wage, they will match what you’ve made: for example 5 bucks with 3 bucks and some change to make things look nice for their books. But in turn your fuel is much greater than that, remember you are paying out of your own pocket. FYI Many techs are not making enough to take care of themselves independently (cost of rent, food, and utilities).
Your salary is based on your jobs completed, not to mention other techs will get the better paying jobs. They pick favorites and reward them, in turn you watch Medley give out prizes to top performers, which is not bad; But they save on their own overhead expenses by not paying you for your own overhead expenses, thus they have money to give back, but not to YOU. What gets me is when they encourage you not to put down your hours correctly, they tell you not to mark your overtime so you will get part of your fuel cost back. Its not mileage your getting back it’s their own unique cost of savings in doing business at your expense. Let’s look at this in a business perspective, you’re the employee they are the employer, you work they don’t want to pay your overtime, you see my point. By the way, your not taking a day off or a vacation with pay; you don’t work you don’t get paid. Hmmn, do you still think this is a good company? The hours: Start at 7:30am till 7pm and even 10pm or later. Like in construction, but with a twist, when you have a job on your list you have to service it till complete, its gets later, your hungry, tired, making mistakes, finish it, its now 11pm, but your encouraged not to mark your overtime; then the next day they charge you for $ 50.00 bucks for not tagging a line in the dark.
Think about it, by the time you get to speed you will have lost more money than you have gained, not to mention industry fluctuations in piece jobs available (your pay will shrink due to little or no piece work available for each week). You might think, this is like going to college and you have to put your time and money into it. Wrong, look at the above comments made by other good people like yourself, they will charge you for not putting a tag on a wire, $ 50-$ 150 US dollars! Un-heard of right, your not going to get ahead working here, don’t think about that BMW 3-series dream you have, you will not be able to buy it working here. Hey! You, if you think I’m a jerk for writing this, look in the mirror I’m you, I just had enough and wrote it down first. Also ask anyone about the employee turnover here, you will see for yourself. On the flipside of things, they will send techs home for a few days for not passing QC’s like this will solve their problems. It may be needed for techs with no company values; they should be fired in any business model, but not to the hard working employees that have made their own personal sacrifices for the company’s mission.
This is not a good career move; take this lesson from the wiser, you will hurt those around you by not being able to contribute to your daily family expenses (or your own) and relationships. You will be better off getting a minimum wage job and waiting it out till something else better comes along. I have spoken. FYI don’t talk to anyone you can’t trust there, they will stab you in the back like the [censor]. Hemet, CA Ex-employee.

2nd of Jul, 2010

One more thing, this company will always every day before you leave to the field, threaten your job, how would you feel if your boss did this to you every day, and this is not an exaggeration my friend. Later; Medley start liquidating your assets for my savings, thanks for your tuff love.