Mayan Palace Great Vacations Club / Don't let this happen to you!

Don't fall victim!! This is what happened to me: I was taken to breakfast and then told how I could make lots of money if I bought several timeshare weeks with Mayan Resorts and rented them out. I was given figures (which I never got copies of) by my salesman that would make me good money. I later found these figures to be grossly exaggerated. I was also given figures showing how my timeshare would increase in value, which I also later found was false. I was told after I signed the contract by my salesman that I was "locked-in" and could not cancel my contract. I found out several weeks later that this was false, and that I actually had 5 days after signing to cancel. I traded in a timeshare I had before my trip to get into my contract. I found out two months later that Mayan Resorts canceled my trade, so I was still responsible for my original timeshare. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

Va

Comments

• Va
      27th of Nov, 2006

In August 2005, my wife and I were mis-sold a Great Vacations Club holiday package at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta in Mexico; the cost was US$4,000. We were told that we would be able to find very good quality time share like property rentals and hotels at all times of the year including normal family holiday times. The first scam is that you do not get the access code until 30 days after you have signed up. This means that you cannot test the system until your rights to reject the contract have expired.

We continue to find that the Great Vacations Club availability is more than frustrating. Since we received the access code we have found it impossible to find any availability in many regions where we looked for a property rental. In summary, the system has such limited capacity, that it will be nigh impossible to ever get value for the US$4,000 that we now feel has been defrauded from us. Even in places, where there may have been some availability, the cost through Great Vacations Club is greater than booking direct with the property or through Hotels.com, Orbitz, and Expedia etc!!

We have twice requested the refund of the $4000, which we feel has been defrauded from us through mis-selling, but GVC are now refusing to acknowledge the situation. We would strongly urge any unsuspecting clients to refrain from purchasing this vacation package.

27th of Nov, 2006

While my friends and I were on vacation in Acapulco, Mexico on October 2nd of this year, I attended a timeshare presentation. After a few hours of a " sales pitch" I decided not to purchase. Before I could leave I had to be interviewed by someone to be sure that I was treated properly by the salesman. At that point, a man named Carlos Ruiz, introduced me to a "vacation package" that included 12 weeks at the Myan Resorts, 10 weeks at resorts in the US and Europe, and an Alaskan Cruise. The cost was $4870 and $349 for my vacations at the Myan Resorts for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. The other vacations were $ 199 for the same type condos.The cruise was $399 per person and a free airline ticket to the west coast. I was told all of the details would be sent to me in 3 weeks. I decided to purchase, however after thinking it over during the evening, I returned the next day to cancel. I was told that if I canceled, I would lose my down payment, which was my entire purchase price. I was then introduced to Martin Cavanaugh, the resort manager, who also refused to cancel my purchase.
    After not hearing from the Great Vacations Club for one month, I called to inquire as to my package, which included the details of my purchase. I was told that I would be sent my package in the near future; however they provided me with an access number to visit the site.
    Here is where the nightmare begins! There was virtually no availability, and the prices promised were nowhere to be found. The actual prices were not $349 as promised, but between $800 to $1200! The availability issued was discussed at the time of purchase and I was told by Mr. Cavanaugh that the language of "subject to availability" was necessary in case "during the peak seasons everyone wanted the same week". He promised that if I traveled in "off peak seasons" that I would never have a problem with accommodation. He lied on all accounts! There is no time when the units promised, at the prices promised, are available!
    To anyone reading this, don't be fooled by the beauty of the resorts! Although they are wonderful, the GREAT VACATIONS CLUB IS A GREAT RIP OFF !!!

22nd of Jan, 2007

We attended a sales presentation for the Mayan Resort timeshares in Puerto Penasco Mexico on January 4th, 2007. As so many before us, we resisted the sales pitch for a time share but succumbed to a vacation club presentation that sounded appealing and reasonable enough for us to afford with our family. Lucky for us we purchased one of the lowest priced packages but so far have received none of the promised services. We have not received the packet which was to be mailed to us within four days and we are unable to access the website without the password to be supplied in the packet. From everything I am reading it is apparent that the packet, when and if we receive it, will not provide us any opportunities for travel as all travel options will be "unavailable". We have requested cancellation of our agreement and a refund to our credit card but up to this point we have not received any response. If we are unable to resolve the issue we will have to proceed to other legal action and publicity to uncover the deceptive and fraudulent practices of this company.

• La
      29th of Jan, 2007

We had the same lousy experience with Carlos Ruiz and Martin Cavanaugh (sp? Cavanagh ) at the Mayan in Acapulco. Carlos lied to our faces regarding the Great Vacation Club ...and unfortunately we believed him and fell for his scam. Martin Cavanaugh was just as "slimy" as Carlos Ruiz and backed him up, implying that we misunderstood what we heard from Carlos. We didn't! They are very good at what they do, which focuses on dishonest sales practices, deception and blatant lies. DON'T BUY MAYAN TIMESHARES OR GREAT VACATION CLUB (GVC) BECAUSE IT'S A SCAM! DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY BECAUSE THEY WILL LIE TO YOU! (And if you hear the names Carlos Ruiz and/or Martin Cavanaugh run for your lives!)

• La
      5th of Feb, 2007

Two days after posting my above "rant" regarding GVC, I was contacted by GVC. They requested I remove my complaints about their company from the various websites where I listed them and in exchange they'd give me a full refund. However, I've been unable to delete my original complaint on this website, so I am resorting to this "Comment" feature to post this update...

(I will refrain from saying that my original Complaint with the company is resolved, since I'm pretty sure they have not changed their sales tactics.)

• Th
      12th of Mar, 2007

I too had a slimy sales rep names Miguel Salas. We attended a free breakfast where they promised that there was plenty of availability at the Rocky Point Mayan Palace in Mexico. He said that we could go any weekend that we wanted except for Christmas. This is a lie. Rocky Point is sold out ALL this year with zero availability.

Again, you have 5 days to cancel according to the contract but you don't get the access codes for 30 days.

I want a refund from GVC for the $5,000 that we paid them in Cancun. I've called the customer service phone number and they said that we should pursue legal action in Mexico.

Don't buy this Great Vacation Club scam!!!

17th of Mar, 2007

We also got roped into buying the vacation club. Told we would never be turned down for any week we wanted to go on vacation, and all resorts were $ 349. What a joke. We are trying to get our money back. Why we believed this I don't know. They kept us for over 7 hours. We just gave up because it sounded so good and we were so tired we just wanted to get out of there.

• Pa
      27th of Mar, 2007

We are new victims of GVC as of 3/5/07.

We would appreciate any help you can give us. This happened at a presentation in the Mayan Resort near Playa del Carmen. After refusing all the offers presented we were referred to Paul H.

We were shown a book of "Best Hotels in the World" and told by Paul H. that these were the hotels we would be able to attend. He was the last person that was supposed to see that we received our gifts promised after 7 hours of mental torture and starvation. Xcarta,was a gift, but it was already dark and too late to go there. [I was begging for an apple or any food as my blood sugar was getting so low I might faint]. Paul said "Don't worry, see that woman in the black dress on the porch? She is a Doctor".

Yes, we had breakfast and were told we only had to stay for 90 minutes by Pablo who met us on the main Pier in Cozumel, but were not prepared to miss lunch and dinner.

We did not realize it was a SCAM until we received the package with the resorts/hotels list on 3/22/07 and realized that none of the hotels in the book shown to us in the Mayan resort near Playa del Carmen was represented in the package we paid for. We were shocked and called the office to cancel, and were told that we would have to be charged a cancellation fee which was the total of what we had paid!

Thank you for any help you may be able to give us.

30th of Mar, 2007

We were also dumb enough to fall for this scam in Cabo. The unfortunate thing is you don't realize it is a scam until you receive the package and try to book something. This is a total rip off! After 4 grueling hours of sales pressure and 3 different representatives. The last 2 we were told were going to sign us out and send us on our way but they actually attempted to force several more great packages on us. Needless to say we finally caved in and bought into GVC. When we received our package we quickly found out what a poor decision we had made. When we checked availability for cruises we found to get a decent cabin on a decent cruise would cost our certificate price+$200 to $400 more. Trying to find a resort that you actually wanted to got to during peak season was a joke. GVC is a poor deal. Beware!

5th of Apr, 2007

***********Act Fast *********** Act Fast ************
    If you were talked into purchasing a membership in the Great Vacations Club during a TIMESHARE presentation when you were recently in Mexico, you have purchased a WORTHLESS membership.
    ==========================================
    Your ONLY way out: You have 5 business days to cancel
    ==========================================
    1. email customerservice@greatvacationsclub.us & cancel and request a FULL REFUND.
    2. Call GVC 1-866-482-7801 - Cancel and request a full refund
    3. Get registered letters in the mail to address on your agreement and any address GVC customer service gives you.
    4. contact Profeco, the Mexican Consumer Affairs office
    Web site: http://www.profeco.gob.mx
    email: extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx
    Follow ALL instructions on web site under Atención al extranjero (scroll down the page for english)
    5. contact your credit card company and inform them you are cancelling within the 5 day right of rescission (5 business days)
    6. I would also fax GVC all documents & registered mail receipts
    fax GVC 1-713-850-8734 - Cancelation request, include your contract number, request a FULL Refund.
    -----------------------------
    Why is this membership worthless? ... because all entitlements are 'SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY & THERE WILL NEVER BE ANYTHING AVAILABLE' Prices will be higher than quoted (From 199.00 can be 699.00) It's a total scam, GET OUT NOW, after 5 days it's too late!

• Ro
      10th of Apr, 2007

We too we forced into this bogus scam! The pressure is so unreal-how do these people sleep at night!? We are trying to get a refund! Help

• Bi
      15th of Apr, 2007

We fell prey to this scam too, and are in the process of trying to get our money back through Bank of America credit card company. We didn't think that Bank of America would be affiliated with a fraudulent company like this. Great Vacations Club is as fraudulent as they get!

We are looking for any loop-holes in the contract to get us out of this nightmare. We are suggesting that Bank of America stand behind us in this complaint and withdraw their services to Great Vacations Club.

Are there other web-sites we can post our complaints on? What are the chances of filing a class action law-suit against Great Vacations Club?

• Wa
      19th of Apr, 2007

There are lots of sites out there with complaints, but Mayan Resorts people are playing hard ball. Several sites have been shut down in recent weeks by what I assume is the threat of legal action.

There was a class action suit in the works, but since MR is a Mexican company, from what I've heard, Mexico do not recognize class action suits.

Here are some links...

Remember you have 5 business (working) days to cancel, and you will get your money back. I did (cancel) and I have (my money back).

• Mi
      25th of Apr, 2007

Following up on the message regarding a class action suit:

My cancellation is still pending. One thing that I was lucky enough to come away from our sales presentation with was a napkin a salesperson had written on where he had written to the effect that we had waived our five day cancellation period. I'm wondering if this might be helpful to any legal action that is pending.

We were at the Mayan Palace Riviera Maya the week of the 16th of April, 2007.

20th of May, 2007

Can't believe i did it! i'm a ph. d. professor, retired--maybe that's why!! My financially astute and very successful brother in law who was with us was totally appalled and tried to talk me out of the great vacations purchase.

On april 21,2007, i purchased a great vacation package for $6000. Today, may 20, i tried to log in to the gvc site--"no pages found" at 5:05pm sunday. I started searching other possible sites and came across this one.

Tomorrow, monday, i will start trying to get my money back--it already sounds fruitless. I'm willing to join in a class action suit.

By the way, i bought the package at the puerto vallarto mayan palace.

• To
      29th of Jun, 2007

Do not fall for this scam when visit Mexico, do not take presentations no matter what they offer...

8th of Jul, 2007

After 4 hours of sales and a beautiful hotel in Puerto Vallarta, I fell for the GVC scam. I have sheets from the sales person telling me I could go to any Mayan property or associated property for $199/$349. It seemed like a great way to get into timeshares and try it out with a lower entry fee of $6,000. I worked through all the math with the sales person on cost making sure it was something valuable when including the 'membership' fee. After 2 days, I changed my mind and went back to the hotel in Puerto Vallarta requesting a cancellation. The sales team told me it was impossible to cancel. My girlfriend with me started crying figuring that we had been scammed. The sales person walked away and came back with a different contract and saying the best they could do was refund $2,000 and change the membership to gold. If we didn't like it, we would have to travel to central Mexico to contest it in court. I got the refund, came home and found out I was completely defrauded. I found all these post about Mayan and GVC. After I received my package, I logged in and realized there were almost no hotels at $199/$349. The sales person had pitched me several times that I could stay at a Mayan in any size room for $199, but when I logged into GVC, anything other than the low end hotel size rooms were far more expensive. That is when I realized how far I had been duped. I also realize now that the Mayan broke Mexican law and should have honored my request to cancel. I've filed complaints with the Mexican government consumer affairs and have started working with Bank of America. I've made several attempts to contact Grupo Mayan and they have little interest in helping me. I'm also starting with Bank of America to see if I can get Grupo Mayan incapable of processing Mastercard and Visa request. If everyone complains about the fraud, it is likely they will be unable to process credit cards and won't be able to manage their fraudulent business any longer.

• Ti
      24th of Jul, 2007

We too were fraudulently scammed. We made such a mistake believing Mayan Resorts that the timeshare would pay for itself either by donating the weeks as tax write-offs or by renting the weeks out. We have disputed charges and are complaining to every consumer protection agency I can in both the US and in Mexico.

If anyone knows of an attorney that can help us, please respond via email.

• Ca
      31st of Jul, 2007

On June 23rd 2007, I signed up for the Great Vacations Club because I was told, I could renew my membership for 25 years. I understood that every 5 years I would have to renew for about $399 for the next 5 years. However, when I received my packet, there was nothing in it stating 25 years, so I called customer service and they stated there were NO 25 year memberships. They only had 10 years. I was furious. I sent them an email canceling my membership and and sent back my entire packet. A few days later I received a phone call from the Mexican affiliate wanting to know why I returned my packet and wanted to cancel my membership... and I again explained about the 25 years. I told the guy that both my sisters were present at the presentation and that I was just plain lied to and it wouldn't have mattered if they gave me 10 cruises and a 1000 other perks... I had signed up for the 25 year membership NOT 10. The guy then said he would get back to me in a couple of days and he did... he told me "he would not cancel my membership and if I wanted to take him to court, then that's what I would have to do....

I'm sure this isn't going to help people that have already signed up and found out it was a scam... but at least you'll know you're not alone!

• Ti
      1st of Aug, 2007

- First, I much say to thank very much to all of you that posted your story in this web-site. My story likely the same as Jason at Mayan Resorts in Puerto Vallarta above but my location is in Cabo San Lucas, Mayan Resource.

- I just got a trip in Cabo San Lucas on July 2007, attended Mayan Resorts timeshare... After I get out of all sells person in upstairs and starting to walk down and then a local guy from Great Vacation Club asking for a survey why I don't buy, and then he offered a packet with 6,900 with free a trip in Cancun, free air ticket ... what he said " it is a direct with Mayan Resorts" and I did bargain with them, they discounted to 4,000... keep bargain how much the price can go and final price is $2,000 include a trip to Cancun, free air ticket .... I was spent there almost 6 hours with beat up pressured on my mind at that time with no lunch, hungry and got headache and got hallucination. They hand out a form for me to initial and sign on the bottom of the contract. But when I look quickly over the contact, it is not exactly what they said, and I talked with them I could not sign it, then they give me only 30 seconds to make decision on it and use this to pressure me.

- I still see something inconsistent in their words and also (too good to be true) but I some how i still like to buy it, as since the packet upstairs from $ 49,000, down to $33,000 .. $11,000... $9,900 and now from down stair with GVC with the price $6,900... $4,000..., $2,900 and final price is $2,000.

- Finally, I don't know why I did say NO at that time and walk out of the door without talking a word (That is so lucky for me.) and they give me back money for taxi and gift as they promised.

- When I m back to California, I'm still thinking about should I buy it or not at that time. And don't even know if it is scam or not because they gave me back money for taxi and gift at front office. I made my decision to search on internet and found out a great helpful message on this board and find out the true of sale person at Mayan Resorts in Mexico. Again, Thank very much for all of you had posted your message and shared it to people. God bless you all.