Lowe's Home Improvement / employment ethics

1 3270 BERLIN TURNPIKENewington, CT, United States Review updated:

One day I had applied to Lowe's via their online application process. Two weeks later I was contacted by a woman informing me that they were hiring temporary cashiers for the summer at their Newington, Connecticut location. It was at this time that I had set up an interview with a person at the store. It is from this point on where everything goes horribly wrong.

First off, I live 10 miles from this particular store, and this comes into play later. On a Thursday morning, I arrive for my appointment at Lowe's. I go in and up to the front desk and announce my arrival for my appointment.

From this point I am told to go to the back of the store to a room used for interviews and training and such. It is here that I meet with a woman only to have her tell me that my interviewer was out due to her kid being sick and not able to go to school. I gave the woman my resume and she proceeded to sit me at a computer for 10 minutes or so. It was at this computer where I had to take some sort of an analysis test (IE: "what would you do in such and such a situation" and have to pick from 4 answers).

After finishing this test I told the woman I had completed the test and she said that the woman who was originally scheduled to interview me would call me soon to reschedule the interview. I didn't think anything of it and left.

Anyway, it turns out the woman never called me back and a week later sent me a typical generic rejection letter. I had wasted my time and liquid gold (Gas) driving to and from there only to be lied to right to my face. I don't have money to waste on this type of crap.

This wasn't the first time Lowe's screwed me over. I had interviewed TWICE at the Meriden, Connecticut store (before it's grand opening) only to again be lied to straight to my face with this "we'll call you in a few days" nonsense.

If this is how Lowe's treats it's applicants, I'd hate to see how their employees are treated. I feel that this isn't a company with good ethics.

Be aware if you interview with this place. It could be the biggest waste of your time ever.

Comments

15th of Sep, 2008

I have worked for a Lowe's before, and the only problem that I see with this is that the applicant obviously failed the tests that were administered. It does not matter if you are the best interviewer in the world. If you do not pass the tests then they absolutely can not hire you.

I had a similar situation with a man that worked at another retail location, where he was a vendor and I was a manager. He was the best worker that I had every seen. He was self-motivated, intelligent, and never late. However, when I tried to recruit him to work for the store, he failed the entrance tests. It was very unfortunate, but we lost a great associate to the wheels of the hiring process. That is the way of retail.

• Me
      21st of Oct, 2012

It is common practice to have an interviewer say "we'll call you." Usually they say contact though. To complain about them not hiring you is rather sad. You didn't pass the test, and they didn't hire you. Move on.