Kool Smiles / incompetent staff

Un Review updated:
Phone: 410-202-8702

I had an appointment at Kool Smiles for the last 6 months. They robo-called my home many times to confirm the appointment and the calls actually continued even after I confirmed the appointment once with a live person then again with a robo call. The even emailed to receiva a confirmation. Apparently, they serve primarily medicaid patients and the "missed appointment" rate is high. I arrived to my child's appointment on time, with a vaild Humana Dental Insurance card, my child and my checkbook. The appointment was at 5:00 p.m. I signed in, presented my card and the lady at the desk noted that she did not have the card in her file. She had completed a "verification" with the insurance card of my former employer. What was so frustrated is that I had given them my new insurance information twice, once in the office in Februray and again a month prior to my appointment. The lady at the desk said she needed to send up the new card to be verified. This front desk lady then left the office at 5:30 p.m. At 5:40, I approached the other lady at the desk and asked when my child would be seen. She said she hadn't received a certification back from my insurance company. I called my insurance company directly and they were willing to fax the verification to the office but the desk lady said that would not work - that her Kool Smiles verification place was closed. At 6:00 p.m. I was informed that they were closing and that my child would not be seen that day. Between scheduling, getting there, waiting driving home - I wasted three hours of my life that I will never get back. If anyone on the planet can explain why a mother with an on-time child, an appointment, a valid insurance card that Kool Smiles takes and a checkbook is declined to be seen I would like to know. The level of incompetence is astounding. Take a look at their "Quality Report" on their website and see how they glaze over their complaints received. Good PR and bright colors on their website and in the office only go so far. I am also contacting my benefits department and Humana dental to let them know how poorly my child and I were treated. To add to all of this, my child has autism, and began to cry in their office and was inconsolable on the thirty minute ride home when he realized they would not see him.

Comments

• Do
      Jul 29, 2011

This reflects poor service and a disorganized work place by Kool Smiles.

• Je
      Jan 30, 2014

Thank you so much in letting everyone know about this. I live in baltimore and was actually about to make an appt with them before reading this and this made me change my mind. I'm so sorry that your son went through this :(