Keiser University / financial aid scam!

1 2085 Vista ParkwayWest Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 561-471-6000

This school gives the hard sell, gets you in the door, gets you into financial aid to apply for all sorts of student loans by filling out your forms for you so you will surely be approved and then promptly takes the money without your ever seeing it. Then, once you start classes the financial aid department harasses you by repeatedly pulling you out of classes to update your loan info so they get their next check. If you withdraw because of their behavior-they refuse to return your money. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL.

Ka

Comments

• Vi
      11th of Oct, 2008

I was going to attend their Melbourne school but the cost compared to state college was prohibitive. Then I learned that Keiser's credits are nontransfereable or they were at the time. I see no plusses there. I have been looking into University of Phoenix online for continuing ed. They are high cost, but I'm not near any Master's programs which on which I can build from my BA.

• Ca
      19th of Nov, 2008

I have a problem with Keiser and my refund also I paid off one of the student loans in full before I even finished. Please how can I sue them for my money. They school was very poorley ran they had pull me out also when I let them know I was ill and could not continue and when I tried to continue horrible customer service and I owe money. I am in New Jersey whom do I contact in Florida to get help.
    Catalina

• Je
      28th of Nov, 2008

Well, This is very common I see my sister attended that school for 2 classes not only did they pulled her out of class but the financial aid officer had a huge attitude. So she attended Phoenix & graduated last year with her aa in accounting. I decided to attend online and oh boy yea Stay away. There horrible all they care about is money money money. And there customer service is awful you will think since they are expensive that they will give you excellence but that sure is not the case. For that I prefer to attend a community college i will get the same amount of attention and my questions answer for wayyy less. 1 semester there will cover my whole degree in a community college and some. ugh ... I am looking into other schools now. RUnnnnn!

• Pa
      1st of Mar, 2009

I agree that they want to bring you in the door asap, but so far they've been great with me. I was misinformed at the beginning regarding my start date, since then they, have been on top of their ### making sure I am well informed and taken care of. The price is ridiculous, but with a guaranteed spot into their programs its worth it to me. I've applied a state school for their radiology program for about 3 years now and have not gotten in. I have above a 3.0 and still it's hard because there is so much competition. Grads usually start making $40, 000 when you graduate so paying $30, 000 for a degree isn't bad if you can start sooner, finisher sooner and be making money sooner rather then waiting around for a states school to accept you! Either way if you can go to a state school and get into their program fast then go that route if not, Kesier is not a bad choice. Good luck.

• He
      29th of Apr, 2009

Kesier college took over $7000.00 from me. The college applied for loans i was not aware of, until i received a letter in the mail. The college would not release my transcript, unless I pay them another $900.00 out of pocket. I only attended two classes when I decided enough was enough. The school is jacking students out of thousands of dollars, without thanking twice.

• El
      5th of Sep, 2017

@help I graduated with an Associate Degree from the ecampus in fort lauderdale on 4/2/2017 and started the bachelor degree program, I got through 3 classes and they told me I would have to pay $520.00 out of my pocket for 8 months without ordering books from the book store or $720.00 if ordering books from their book store and I live on my husbands SSI of $735.00 and that supports 4 people so I had to quit and made them send me a leter stating why I quit which was I could not afford their required financial obligation. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit because I have to already pay back $60, 879 for the classes I have already taken and still have not received assistance from the career services on finding a job.

• Da
      21st of Feb, 2018

@ellen hicks On January 18th, 2018 I was told by the program director at Keiser University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida that they would not let me continue in the school's physical therapist assistant program. I had to take 5 online prerequisites in order to start their PTA program. I got A's in all 5 of my classes. I was put on a waiting list and had to wait 6 months. I started the program on January 8th, 2018. I was told not to have a job by Dr. Leona Rodriguez the director of the PTA program during this time in school, because of the amount of studying that needs to be done. In my first week I had many homework assignments which I received 100 percent. I had 2 tests which I scored an A grade in both. Sadly, today is January 18th and I got below 70% in just one of my tests and they discharged me from school. They told me that you cannot fail this one particular test, or you are out of the PTA program. I was not aware of this in till a day before the test when the teachers made us sign a piece of paper about this kind of action could be taken. I guess that is Keiser University's way of being able to mistreat their students without being held responsible. They have done nothing but waste my time and money that I don’t have. The instructors of this school have been extremely misleading! This school needs to be investigated for fraud and misrepresentation, especially the Physical therapist director Dr. Leona Rodriguez who runs this program and the other teachers who could have told the students before school began about their policies of giving students only one chance to pass a test! I received A grades in all other requirements including homework and tests. The school only told the students that you had to have minimal cumulative GPA 70%. They kept it a secret in till the day before the test that if you get below a 70% on this one exam you are done, no second chance! My cumulative GPA would still be above 83% even with the 65% I received on the one single test. Sadly, it didn't matter to anyone at the Keiser University, since I didn't pass this one test. I guess the other A grades didn't matter at all. I have never heard of a school doing this kind of disheartening practice to their students. This entire experience has been devastating and the emotional distress I'm feeling now because of this is seriously affecting my health. I was only at the so-called college for 8 days. I have filled out the Borrower Defense Application. I don’t want to have to burden on me the rest of my life.

Please help me!

4th of May, 2009

This place should be ashamed. Taking peoples money and giving nothing back. I attend the Keiser in Lake Worth, FL and it is horrible. The head is nasty and yells at people. Very unprofessional and mean. She doesn't care about students. All she want is their money.

• Sl
      28th of Jul, 2009

I am currently A student at Kieser University and have only completed one class. I have been battling with the finacial aid office to get a contract or something stating what I will need to pay, however they keep giving me the run-around. I do not feel good about what is happening; I wish I would have read this warning before I enrolled!

• Mo
      29th of Jul, 2009

I do agree with most of you! I went to the keiser career college in Greenacres campus, it SUCK! all they care about is your money.When I was applying there the adviser would call my phone days and nights, but as soon as i enrolled with them, the same person who sign me to the school would past me down the hall and not say hello. When I enrolled at the school I was 4months pregnant, they was aware of it, they told me it would be okay to come to the school when i have the baby i can take a fews days off. let me tell ya'll, I had the bay on monday, on that friday after i had a c-section i had to returned to school or else they threat to drop me. This is after they told me they would work with me after i had the baby beacuse, "we all here are family" thats what they told me. They suck! I should have sued there ### for making me come back to school after a few days of having a baby. keiser staffs are money hungry! i am now at the unviversity because its one class at a time thats the only reason i attend that supid school.

• Jb
      18th of Aug, 2009

Ok, you all are scaring me. I am a student online. I have been trying to contact my financial aid advisor for grants and scholarships to assist with living expenses and have not gotton a return call. I have no idea how much money has been put into this school as I have not received any awards letters, nor do I know what programs they have applied to on my behalf. Is this school worth it?

• Eb
      28th of Aug, 2009

RIGHT NOW, THEY WILL NOT REALEASE MY OFFICIAL NOR UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS DUE TO THEM APPLYING MY FOR A PRIVATE LOAN OVER 4 YEARS AGO UNKNOWINGST TO ME! SO INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO GRADUATE NEXT MONTH OCT2009 FROM UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX, ILL BE SUITING UP TO TAKE ALL OF MY AS CLASSES AGAIN BECAUSE KEISER WILL NOT RELEASE MY TRANSCRIPTS! DO NOT GO HERE!

29th of Aug, 2009

Run!!! from them if you can and enter a fully accredited regional university while you still can.

• Th
      12th of Jan, 2010

I work for Keiser- for now it is payig the bills. They only want your money or the federal money (loans & Pell Grant) Run away. They will lie to you and when u think you are completed will tell u you you owe X amount to get your degree. also why is the cost the same per sememster (the way they you are billed for a student doing their AA /AS to a student working on their BA/BS. If you look at your FAFSA you will notice the Grad rate of about 67% give or take. A majority of students are unable to pursure after their 1st FA package due to the payments. All students make a monthky payment- you lost your job, sorry we need out payment. 80/20 rule as Keiser about that and the reason Dr. Keiser wants student to get in the habit of making monthly payments (if u are in school trying to better yourself how can u take on another monthly bill. Also do not believe your admission rep/recruiter KEISER WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY FOR A LAP TOP OR COMPUTER.

• Th
      20th of Jan, 2010

The same exact ### happened to me. The only difference is I was lied to by a financial director named Liz that I would owe nothing after withdrawing. 6 months later I was hit whith a bill for 7, 000 after only going to 1 class.

16th of Mar, 2010

Same old ploy different day. If enough people post their may be enough to get attention for class action litigation.

31st of Mar, 2010

Keiser University is a ripoff. They try to get to students to enter with false promises of jobs! In one campus, they even have the owner's nephew working in student services and he was just arrested for the fourth time! He is an addict and the Keisers have been warned about him, but still subject students and staff to this risk. They have driven out anyone who tries to protect the school if they say anything about him. This is truly a school that only exists for the enhancement of its owners and not the students. What a crock.

8th of Apr, 2010

It is a no win situation for the student consumer because the education system is compartmentalized. The financial funding system, thru federal regulation, places the liability directly on the student consumer thru legalese. While paper mill institutions like Keiser University/College, receive state accreditation to protect them from litigation for their practice in racketeering. I believe the Keiser family receives this coverage because they are entrenched in Florida politics as indicated in the following appointments. Ms. Keiser sat on the Board of Directors for the Florida Association of Postsecondary Schools and Colleges (FAPSC) for a full year, appointed by the Florida Commissioner of Education to the K-2O Partnership Committee, served the State of Florida as a Governor Jeb Bush appointee to the Board of Directors for Workforce Florida, Inc. to mention just a few.

• Sc
      24th of May, 2010

I also attended Keiser. I did complete my prerequisites for the lpn to rn bridge course. But, they ripped me off for 5 grand. I took one class and did not complete the other 2 they say were in the same semester. They also didn't tell me I would be billed. So, they are holding onto my transcripts. I really believe this is illegal. I am now considering attending the Keiser Career College to complete my RN. I just want to be done and hopefully they will be able to pull up my transcripts while I am attending their college. It really is a joke, I also never saw a check.

• Sd
      23rd of Jul, 2010

I currently attend Keiser University in Daytona Beach. I am always being pulled out of class for Financial Aid, its ridiculous! I am getting very annoyed with this!

• Mw
      24th of Jul, 2010

This is a place that is so pathetically mismanaged, that it should be avoided at all costs. Once you are in the door it is over. Loud, disruptive and boisterous learning environments perpetuated and dominated the learning environment before a slight grasp of classroom noise levels could be achieved. Woefully inadequate application to protect basic needs IAW Maslow. A young student allegedly had money stolen out of her purse on repeat occasions yet the best solution the management could provide was increased water bottle enforcement. I say allegedly ONLY because I did not see it with my eyes. But in the first week or so of the class I was struggling with the overall hostile, aggressive atmosphere of the classroom and a student behind me called out my name and asked if "I had picked up/taken her wallet? My immediate instinctive and reflex response to such a question was to empty out the contents of my pocket and display them on the table. Moments later the student sitting next to me reveals that she had the wallet but that it was just a JOKE. I forwarded the information to the staff but NOTHING... I was quite concerned about this and started wondering if I should don a flak jacket or continue with wearing the smock to class. The instructors boast of expertise as if they are the industry standard. But a lot of times the words they use or statements made reflect discrepancies in subject matter. I had to fight "tooth and nail" to receive credit for properly answered questions on an exam but all it met with was retaliation. They corrected my test but did not adjust my score. I had to solicit the dean to accompany me to the office to get my grade adjusted. I started with a 60 but had earned a 78. What a SHAM.. Instructors are frequently challenged through the bully system and they quickly defer to thug style demands instead of standing up to the nonsense. My attempts/pleas and demands to receive fair treatment fell upon deaf ears. But it brought out significant retaliation in the form of strict application of the OLD DOUBLE standard policy. Buyer beware!!!

• En
      12th of Aug, 2010

I also attended Keiser College in 1997. After serving 9 years in the Florida Department of Corrections I enrolled in Keiser College Fort Lauderdale Campus. I informed my admissions counselor of my criminal past and asked her if there would be a problem with me obtaining a license to work in my field of study (Medical Lab Tech). I was told that my past would not prevent me from obtaining a license. After completing a majority of the required studies, I was informed by Ms. Samuels that I could not apply for a professional business license in the state of Florida due to multi felony convictions, as well as to my civil rights not being restored. I was sent to admissions and advised to change majors. I enrolled in the computer programming program and drop out after three classes. I could justify going deeper in debt, paying for two educations. I am now 54, 000.o0 in debt with student loans for an education I can't use. I have filed for a loan discharge with the Federal Student Aid Program. The inspector general is looking into bring action against Keiser College. If anyone else is in the same position that I am, or if you have issues with your Federal Student loans, please contact me and let’s see if we can't bring action against Keiser College.